Ansar Khan: Svechnikov won't receive QO, will become UFA

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
You would, wouldn't you?

Oh I'm sorry for having a heart that pumps blood. And for lungs that breathe air. I am alive in this moment more than any other before it and the question remains...

why he is ugly if another is atractive?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Oh I'm sorry for having a heart that pumps blood. And for lungs that breathe air. I am alive in this moment more than any other before it and the question remains...

why he is ugly if another is atractive?

I think that roughly translated from internet speak he means, "Why does Evgeni look like Sloth from the Goonie's illegitimate child while his brother Andrei looks like he should be on a CW show?"

EDIT: But yes, it's a riveting question.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I think that roughly translated from internet speak he means, "Why does Evgeni look like Sloth from the Goonie's illegitimate child while his brother Andrei looks like he should be on a CW show?"

EDIT: But yes, it's a riveting question.

Such a literal interpretation.

I'm trying to free your mind, Ogee. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Sounds like you are taking my post personally, I never directed it at you. To be honest, I have zero clue what your perspective towards him is. Its directed at people that flat out say that they are happy when Holland picks flame out. Just look at the Chowolski thread to see who I'm talking about.

As for the rest, I dont disagree with any of it. Like I said, I'd like to see him brought back on a 2 way contract, but I dont think he "deserves" anything either. Wanting to see someone succeed is different then saying someone is owed something.

Oh, no, I was just stating my opinion and saying that I can't speak for if anyone else wanted him to fail.

If people are cheering the failure of a Holland pick, they're a jackass. I would have loved to see Svech make it, but I'm not gonna spin myself yarns about how if he just got double the minutes, he would be a 30 point forward, and act like that means he's anything but a disappointing piece. If you're a young player and you can't outplay Justin Abdelkader, Frans Nielsen, or Riley Sheahan in years when they scored 3, 9, and 13 points... I don't think you're a player worthy of being upset that you didn't make it.

The crux of that first post is that even when he played, Evgeny Svechnikov could be termed as being a non-entity. He was inoffensive (meaning not terrible, not necessarily lacking offense) as a 4th line guy. It was the same kind of thing with Joakim Andersson, Corey Emmerton, Christoffer Ehn, and Alexei Marchenko. So he never really justified more time than he got.

Reactions: kliq

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Such a literal interpretation.

I'm trying to free your mind, Ogee. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it.

Bruh.

giphy.gif

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Its sad that some were pulling for him to fail just because Holland drafted him, I really wanted him to turn into a sold top 9 winger, but he really doesnt seem like he is going to be anything more then a below average bottom 6 guy that you can find in free agency for cheap.

I hope he signs the 2 way deal, if not I wish him the best and hope he turns his career around.

Didn't Yzerman do the same thing with Erne last year?

I can't buy into the notion people wanted him to fail because he was a Holland pick. If that were the case I think there would be more chatter about trading Larkin and Hronek and hoping Berrgren falls flat. If poeople were upset with Cholowski it's because they thought it was a bad selection.

In similar fashion, people being okay with losing Svech just don't see any upside of keeping him. Someone like Gagner sets the Mendoza line for the current state of the Wings. I deign to say Svech falls below the Gagner line. Best of luck to him wherever he lands.

Last edited:

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I can't buy into the notion people wanted him to fail because he was a Holland pick. If that were the case I think there would be more chatter about trading Larkin and Hronek and hoping Berrgren falls flat. If poeople were upset with Cholowski it's because they thought it was a bad selection.

In similar fashion, people being okay with losing Svech just don't see any upside of keeping him. Someone like Gagner sets the Mendoza line for the current state of the Wings. I deign to say Svech falls below the Gagner line. Best of luck to him wherever he lands.

Most, sure. Some, 100% pulling for him to fail.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
That senilte MFer needs to stop feeding his magic beans Brawndo and start using water then.

giphy.gif

Plants don't crave electrolytes, KEN!

NHL: Enjoy your EXTRA BIG ASS FORWARD

Ken Holland: You didn't give me no successful forward. I got Mikael Samuelsson.

NHL: Would you like another EXTRA BIG ASS FORWARD

Ken Holland: I said I didn't get any, I got Dan Cleary

NHL: Thank you, your salary cap has been charged. Your available cap space is Zero. Please come back when you can afford to call up Gustav Nyquist.

Ken Holland : What? Oh no, NO!

[Holland offers Dan Cleary make whole one year deals to give him the 3 year deal Philly offered him. An alarm goes off, and a sign appears on the computer saying "WARNING! NHL frowns on salary cap circumvention"]

NHL : I'm sorry you're having trouble. I'm sorry you're having trouble.
Ken Holland: Come on, my team can't score any goals.
NHL : [Ken kicks the tires and acquires a 3rd pairing defenseman for a 3rd round pick] This should help you calm down. Please come back when you can afford to call up Gustav Nyquist. Your team is dgoshit. The NHL believes all teams should operate in parity. You are an unfit GM. Your roster will be passed on to the rest of the NHL... NHL... "f*** You, We're keeping hockey in Phoenix no matter what"
[Yzerman approaches the computer]
NHL Computer : Welcome to the NHL. Would you like to try our EXTRA BIG ASS DEFENSEMEN? Now with more MOLECULES!

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
Good luck buddy, injuries really derailed him here. Kraken bound is my guess.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
He is just another Frk or Nestrasil in the pipeline of Frks and Nestrasils.

Hope he will get a year at Carolina with his brother. That would be special for them. Then goes to Russia to get his money.
Damn Nestrasil, that's a name

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Bye Felicia.

If people want to wish him well wherever he next plays hockey, that's cool. But the kid was 3 chances past his expiration date already - let's keep that turnover going and continue to reshape this roster with those in the long term plans.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Gotta think he’s going to one of Carolina’s AHL team, Seattle, or the KHL

Maybe can sneak another NHL contract playing for Buffalo
Buffalo maybe, but Seattle doesn't need him and they're sharing an AHL team this season.

I don't think his brother can help him at all, teams generally don't want shitty siblings. Kronwall's brother wound up playing for the Leafs, Caps, and Flames before flaming out.

At this point, nobody gives a shit if it's Holland's pick or Stevie's. And nobody WANTS anyone to fail, we're just projecting failure based on what the young players are showing. Cholo failed because he had no brain or balls and plays socially distanced hockey. Svech failed because he's slow as molasses and skates like he smokes 2 packs a day. He's also playing socially distanced hockey, but because he can't keep up with the play. If Cholo's testicles had descended or Svech started skating like AA, I would absolutely LOVE both of them. But the fact is they both suck, so I'm not shedding any tears.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Yeah, look at some of the other names drafted just under Svechnikov. Could have had Boeser, Konecny, Samsonov. Just some of the guys slotted in the lower first round. Proof that you can find good players with higher draft picks.

I know that Svechnikov probably wouldn't have ever been as good as those guys but he looked like at least a 20-20-40 power forward type. That knee injury completely robbed him of any speed he had before.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I know that Svechnikov probably wouldn't have ever been as good as those guys but he looked like at least a 20-20-40 power forward type. That knee injury completely robbed him of any speed he had before.
He was slow to begin with and he has absolutely no stamina. Holland and his staff just didn't put enough emphasis on skating despite picking 2 of the fastest players in the league.

Most of Stevie's picks are above average skaters, aside from later round Draper picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad