TSN: Suspended D Voynov signs in KHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Always funny to see the people advocate for scum like this to be blackballed from the league....not realizing this also hurts the abused because the player likely receives less $.

Yea, it's terrible what he did and I agree people like this shouldn't be allowed in the league. BUT people often ignore that this hurts the victim even further in a lot of instances (also why many abused people retract their statement eventually. $$$).

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Always funny to see the people advocate for scum like this to be blackballed from the league....not realizing this also hurts the abused because the player likely receives less $.

Yea, it's terrible what he did and I agree people like this shouldn't be allowed in the league. BUT people often ignore that this hurts the victim even further in a lot of instances (also why many abused people retract their statement eventually. $$$).

That's a hot take. And not a very good one.

Why do we even have prisons? We should let people jump back into society so they can contribute to the economy and pay back the debt they owe through taxes for being a piece of shit.

Terrible analogy for a terrible take.

WestCoastLife

Nov 19, 2018
From the article itself:

...had the conviction dismissed by a judge in Los Angeles

So do we really know all the facts? I mean, do we really?

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Good riddance. The league is a better place without people like this in it. I don't care what others have done, whether worse or not, this player is a piece of garbage and I hope this finally puts an end to his NHL career. He won't be missed.

Reactions: Red and Sam Spade

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

What kind of effed up logic is that?

Maybe we should let him beat up a few more women and then give him a $10 million a year deal so he can help them financially.

I mean think of all the women beaters out there that victims are suffering because the NHL isn't giving them a salary, perhaps the league should hire those guys as well to help their victims.

And that is only spousal abuse. What about child abusers? Why isn't the league giving those guys bigger deals to help their victims? What kind of garbage owners do we have that are not supporting child abusers with bigger contracts so that their victims don't suffer living with less money.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
That's a hot take. And not a very good one.

Why do we even have prisons? We should let people jump back into society so they can contribute to the economy and pay back the debt they owe through taxes for being a piece of ****.

Terrible analogy for a terrible take.
I agree with this post regarding the analogy. However, let's not kid ourselves if Voynov had been born in North America, he would already be back playing in the NHL.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Oh boy, another thread where people can want a unremorseful wife beater on their team.

He should stay in Russia where wife beating is acceptable.

Reactions: Gotaf7

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
If MacTavish can have a long career in the NHL, why can't Voynov?

I didn't see any of you protesting MacT.

My guess is most people here werent even alive at that time.

Also, i've been told previously that its not as big of a deal because drunk driving isnt as bad as an offense as hitting your spouse, because when you kill someone while drunk driving, you "didnt mean to do it."

Edmonton East

Nov 25, 2007
What kind of effed up logic is that?

Maybe we should let him beat up a few more women and then give him a $10 million a year deal so he can help them financially.

I mean think of all the women beaters out there that victims are suffering because the NHL isn't giving them a salary, perhaps the league should hire those guys as well to help their victims.

And that is only spousal abuse. What about child abusers? Why isn't the league giving those guys bigger deals to help their victims? What kind of garbage owners do we have that are not supporting child abusers with bigger contracts so that their victims don't suffer living with less money.
@ottawa @cloudy
You guys should probably calm yourselves down and actually read what I wrote. I said I agree he shouldn't be back in the league...but people need to realize that stance in a lot of instances hurts the victim even further. It sucks. Lose-lose situation a lot of the time for the abused.

I don't have an answer for how to fix it....just a crappy situation for the victim no matter what.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
It feels idiotic that you can serve your game suspension in other league. If it were up to me, if he wants to come back to NHL he should have to write a contract with a NHL team, then he will sit half of the season. What kind of punishment is this, it's ridiculous.

Uh... Well he can't play in the NHL for half a season so he's getting a job in the mean time. You want the NHL to govern his life? Reminds me of shitty companies that don't allow people to get hired in the same field in other companies until a year or so is passed.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
You guys should probably calm yourselves down and actually read what I wrote. I said I agree he shouldn't be back in the league...but people need to realize that stance in a lot of instances hurts the victim even further. It sucks. Lose-lose situation a lot of the time for the abused.

I don't have an answer for how to fix it....just a crappy situation for the victim no matter what.

Fair enough but I think the focus should not be on financials in that situation because the victim is better off being poor and not abused than rich and smacked around.

Despite my snarky response I didn't actually think you were saying he should get a pass so he can make more money but there does seem to be a lot of people willing to look past this because he is a pro athlete. I hate seeing people brush away or minimalize what he did as though it wasn't awful.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Leafs got a spot.
King's gonna have a spot.
Flames.
The list can go on.
Come playoffs we see Slava.

Leafs could take a peek into the future and find out they would win the Cup by somehow signing Voynov and they still wouldn't do it. It's just bad optics and PR and personally wouldn't be supported by most of the fans either.

MLSE, Shanahan, Dubas, Rogers, Bell etc would not want to be associated with Voynov. The Blue Jays cut bait with Roberto Osuna before his case even came to a close. No chance Voynov ends up on the Leafs.

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
I can't recall his situation offhand. Was there a second incident he was arrested for?

I am for extending 2nd chances for most dumb things, especially for young, immature offenders, granted that the person isn't incarcerated.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Edmonton East

Nov 25, 2007
Fair enough but I think the focus should not be on financials in that situation because the victim is better off being poor and not abused than rich and smacked around.

Despite my snarky response I didn't actually think you were saying he should get a pass so he can make more money but there does seem to be a lot of people willing to look past this because he is a pro athlete. I hate seeing people brush away or minimalize what he did as though it wasn't awful.
...but they can get separated and still garner the absuser's wages.

People don't like to admit it or think about...but that's probably among the best possible realistic outcomes for the victims in these scenarios. It's real easy to say "yea, good! Glad that guy can't get a job in the league again!", but the unfortunate reality is that this often means significantly less monetary support for the victim.

Reactions: Adityase

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I can't recall his situation offhand. Was there a second incident he was arrested for?

I am for extending 2nd chances for most dumb things, especially for young, immature offenders, granted that the person isn't incarcerated.

nope just the one that he missed all but 6 games in 2014- 15 which equates to a 76 game suspension. 76 games would be the most in NHL history (currently 41 shared by Torres and now Voynov).

Voynov's unofficial suspension would be 117 games (76+41) which dwarves anything else the NHL has ever done. The league should PR team should be able to use this to save face as should whatever team he ends up with

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Why not earn some money and prove you can still play while you wait out your suspension. Makes sense.
Just proves this guy can continue to earn a multi-million dollar paycheque and win an Olympic Gold Medal all while 'serving' his NHL suspension.

If I'm the NHL, he serves that suspension only while under contract.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad