TV: Survivor: Millennials vs. Gen X (Episode Discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
The point of the game is to get the jury to vote for you. Adam did that. He deserved to win. No one else did that. They did not deserve to win.

Survivor is not a black and white game. There are many ways to play, and what works and wins in one season could make you an early boot in another.

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
I hate returning player Survivors. I thought this season was decent though.

I'm starting to dislike them too, they lack something that newbie seasons have. I feel like almost all the players are gamebots with pre-games alliances, you don't get great moments like on the new players seasons.

I wish they could somehow recreate the magic of Cagayan, it's still my favorite season in a while.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
It was Obvious in mid Nov that Adam was going to win. He got the most confessionals and they were about his personal life and game moves.

But damn, Survivor, exploitation of Adam's situation.

He chose to talk about it in confessionals. Are they just suppose to ignore it? :dunno:

This show is clearly about strategy and story telling.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I will still never understand why you would tell someone you have an idol. It just never works out well. Sure, Adam can tell Bret he has an idol, but do not tell Hannah when you know she flip/flops

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I didnt watch the reunion show, but in his post game interview, the article said Adam donated 100k of his winnings to Stand Up 2 Cancer

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
It was Obvious in mid Nov that Adam was going to win. He got the most confessionals and they were about his personal life and game moves.

He chose to talk about it in confessionals. Are they just suppose to ignore it? :dunno:

Which has been confirmed time over time to mean nothing. Why people are so obsessed over this is crazy.

And the show is definitely not about "story telling". If you want to include "story telling" as a part of your strategy that's fine, but it's not even close to a major aspect of the show.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Which has been confirmed time over time to mean nothing. Why people are so obsessed over this is crazy.

And the show is definitely not about "story telling". If you want to include "story telling" as a part of your strategy that's fine, but it's not even close to a major aspect of the show.

Its easy to predict who is getting the winner edit. People get it correct every year. Last season, s32, the people who watched for edits new Michelle was going to win early in the season. Despite Aubry looking like she played the best game. For this season, it was easy to predict who would be the final 5-8 just based on the 1st episode.

Story telling is clearly a massive part of the show. They love showing people change over their time on Survivor. I don't understand how you can think otherwise. Jeff loves asking questions about the stories at every reunion.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

They want viewers to get invested into certain characters and to root for them. They want the viewers to feel for certain contestants. Its definitely a major aspect of the show, hence why certain people get more airtime and are more important to the overall "story" or game thats going on.

Also, people saying that Adam told Hannah about the idol was a dumb move, it actually worked out for him in the end... If he doesn't tell Hannah, they vote Adam, he uses his idol and David goes at 5. Then, its more than likely that Hannah, Ken and Bret see Adam as the bigger threat and he goes out at 4. So imo even though it was sort of a blunder, it actually worked out in his benefit to have David at the final 4.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto

lol, i don't remember it anyone saying it was obvious.

Jay, David, Adam, Zeke all seemed equal favourites a couple weeks ago.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
They want viewers to get invested into certain characters and to root for them. They want the viewers to feel for certain contestants. Its definitely a major aspect of the show, hence why certain people get more airtime and are more important to the overall "story" or game thats going on.

Also, people saying that Adam told Hannah about the idol was a dumb move, it actually worked out for him in the end... If he doesn't tell Hannah, they vote Adam, he uses his idol and David goes at 5. Then, its more than likely that Hannah, Ken and Bret see Adam as the bigger threat and he goes out at 4. So imo even though it was sort of a blunder, it actually worked out in his benefit to have David at the final 4.

Yea it did, but it EASILY could have been the end for him at the same time if Hannah didn't convince Ken to vote out Dave.

If he had kept his mouth shut he could have played his idol (that he had to), let the votes not count against him, and him and bret's vote would have been the only 2 that counted thus bye bye dave right there. Instead he opened his mouth to Hannah and they switched their votes to Bret.

And I still disagree about the confessions, the people who are the most entertaining get the most confessions. Boring players don't get many. That video game chick was was voted out so early on got a ton of confessions.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
And I still disagree about the confessions, the people who are the most entertaining get the most confessions. Boring players don't get many. That video game chick was was voted out so early on got a ton of confessions.

Agreed. That's why Sandra (WHO WON) got so little. She was boring af.

Micheala got ALOT of confessionals. Sure enough, this board goes wild and everyone hops on her bandwagon claiming victory. Uhhh no, she was just highly entertaining.

This board will never learn :laugh:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Yea it did, but it EASILY could have been the end for him at the same time if Hannah didn't convince Ken to vote out Dave.

If he had kept his mouth shut he could have played his idol (that he had to), let the votes not count against him, and him and bret's vote would have been the only 2 that counted thus bye bye dave right there. Instead he opened his mouth to Hannah and they switched their votes to Bret.

Again if David went out at 5, Adam may have been next to go at 4. Call it a blunder but it actually worked out in his favour. It also allowed him to blame Hannah for putting David one win away from a million dollars.

Based on ponderosa videos and everything else, Bret seemed pretty entertaining yet was invisible for over half the game. Averaged less than 1.5 confessionals.

Mari had 6 confessionals, some enforcing the whole "Millennial theme", thats far from a ton. Also she went out on the second episode so her average would be skewed compared to others.

Michelle again, seemed pretty popular, outgoing and rather crazy, averaged 1.25 confessionals.

The 4 major players of this season, David, Zeke, Adam and Jay, all averaged over 3 confessionals.
(These averages do not include the finale)

Looking back at last season, Michele, far from being an entertaining figure (wasn't a great narrator/provide funny or comical confessions) still averaged over 4 confessionals.

Theres a strong co-relation between confessional counts and how a player does, or how important they were to the season.

Last edited:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Agreed. That's why Sandra (WHO WON) got so little. She was boring af.

Micheala got ALOT of confessionals. Sure enough, this board goes wild and everyone hops on her bandwagon claiming victory. Uhhh no, she was just highly entertaining.

This board will never learn :laugh:

Michaela averaged 2.14 confessionals, which actually puts her below average...

On Pearl island, Sandra averaged 3.9 confessionals, which put her 3rd most in that season, pretty standard range for a winner (Jeremy also had 3rd most).

In HvV she was about 5th, which is understandable because there were several fan favourites such as Boston Rob, Rubert, Russel, that the editors will show more of to keep viewers more interested.

I'll wait for you to provide some facts or numbers that disprove confessional counts and how a person influences the game.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
i dont get this "you played a great game if this was season 1...."
the guy was winning important immunities. thats surviving... he doesnt need to strategize if hes not concerned. he knows hes not leaving.

adam deserved to win, but this idea that you have to make great moves and be social to win is dumb. the guy was fishing so they could eat, while everybody was paranoid on who to take out next.

anyways maybe if he opened his mouth more during the last questions would have helped. he was mute.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
Michaela averaged 2.14 confessionals, which actually puts her below average...

On Pearl island, Sandra averaged 3.9 confessionals, which put her 3rd most in that season, pretty standard range for a winner (Jeremy also had 3rd most).

In HvV she was about 5th, which is understandable because there were several fan favourites such as Boston Rob, Rubert, Russel, that the editors will show more of to keep viewers more interested.

I'll wait for you to provide some facts or numbers that disprove confessional counts and how a person influences the game.

Provide some numbers?? what is this??? Survivor Advanced Stats??? :laugh:

People who are boring don't get seen as often. Period. Just enjoy the damn show.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Provide some numbers?? what is this??? Survivor Advanced Stats??? :laugh:

People who are boring don't get seen as often. Period. Just enjoy the damn show.

That's not entirely true, people are shown a lot if they influence the story the editors are pushing even if they are boring.

RealGudbranson

Jun 19, 2008

You raise a good point. I should perhaps clarify: I thought Jeff Probst putting Adam on the spot on live TV by asking him about his mother, and then repeatedly cutting him off to move production along was pretty ******.

Likely, they vetted the questions with Adam prior, as they didn't pry with say, Zeke, which I expected them to do. I still think it was distasteful production, but you are right, Adam was complicit.

goggog

Sep 2, 2006
Canada
Slightly OT, but the only seasons I have watched since 2010 were this past one and Cambodia (Season 31).
Can anyone recommend me seasons to watch since 2010?

Olvast

Sep 12, 2011
Slightly OT, but the only seasons I have watched since 2010 were this past one and Cambodia (Season 31).

Blood vs. Water and Cagayan were pretty great, 27 and 28.

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal

I watched every season except 1 to 5 & 9. I'll list which seasons I recommend, but I'll skip the ones with returning players because you're better off watching them knowing who each player is.

Should watch:
6-7-10-13-15-18-19-25-27-28

From best to worst IMO (of the good seasons):
1) 28
2) 7
3) 19
4) 6
5) 15
6) 13
7) 27
8) 25
9) 18
10) 10

Seasons with returning players: (some are listed up there)
8-11-16-20-22-23-26-25-27-31

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
i dont get this "you played a great game if this was season 1...."
the guy was winning important immunities. thats surviving... he doesnt need to strategize if hes not concerned. he knows hes not leaving.

adam deserved to win, but this idea that you have to make great moves and be social to win is dumb. the guy was fishing so they could eat, while everybody was paranoid on who to take out next.

anyways maybe if he opened his mouth more during the last questions would have helped. he was mute.

He got shafted in the jury questioning. Its all about being manipulative and trying to make big moves now. You cant just play a great safe game in which you win challenges near the end, make good alliances and provide, no one respects that anymore. You have to be the person who doesn't do much to survive but has a good social game. by todays standards Russell Hantz would of been a god and not a villain :laugh:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Thought Ken deserved to win the most.

Hated how much it felt like Adam received a sympathy vote.

Alas, turned out to be a better season than I anticipated. Glad there will be another season.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
It was a weird game for Ken. Guy was loyal to a fault (thus being a poor Survivor player), but then when he made an actual strategic move at the Final 4 vote, it kind of goes back on everything he was about. Not that he would have had any shot against David, but I wonder if that move changed anyone's opinion of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad