TV: Survivor: Island of the Idols - Discussion Thread

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Lauren really should have kept her idol. I get Karishma played hers but she should have felt safe.

Not sad to see Elizabeth go. But I was hoping it would be Dan's name that appeared after the 7 Karishma votes :laugh:

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I was trying to figure out who the original votes went to. I assume Karishma voted Janet b/c Dan told her to. Not sure who the other Elizabeth vote was? Unless Elizabeth voted Janet and Karishma voted Elizabeth?

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
I was trying to figure out who the original votes went to. I assume Karishma voted Janet b/c Dan told her to. Not sure who the other Elizabeth vote was? Unless Elizabeth voted Janet and Karishma voted Elizabeth?
I was trying to figure that out too...made no sense. I totally get why Lauren played her idol, when a surprise idol gets dropped, I think you gotta play one if you got one. Especially when it's only good for two tribals anyway. Karishma makes no sense though, if she knew she was going to play that idol, which was a brilliant play actually, then she needed to recruit Elizabeth to vote with her to ensure they get the right person out. She was told Elizabeth was the target and they seemed to have something going together, she should've used that. I assume she didn't want to look shady for not voting for Janet when Dan told her to, but she was already going to look shady for playing the idol if she was wrong, so may as well have doubled down. She had, and still has, nothing to lose. Had she and Elizabeth voted together, they could've gotten Dan or Janet or whomever they wanted. Karishma is strange, she had a great idol play, but the strategy behind the vote was awful.

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I feel like this is another weak season. I'm a fan of the show, but the last four seasons have been weak. Probably the worst stretch of seasons I can remember. Four seasons ago with Wendell and Dom was poorly cast. Two good players at the end. I can respect that, but it's hard to consider a two player season a good season. The last three seasons have been cast better, especially three seasons ago, but a lot of the good players have taken each other out early, and we've been left with a lot of people towards the end that weren't great game players throughout the season. Last season wasn't helped by the twist either. I thought two seasons ago was one of the shows weakest seasons.

This one was similar to three seasons ago. A lot of good players have taken each other out early. I think the best ending for the show is Tommy winning, but he's not left with much competition, so I couldn't consider him more than an average winner due to a lack of competition towards the season.

I'm hoping 40 is better because five bad seasons in a row, including what will be the most-discussed season pre-show, is a bad look for the show.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Lauren really should have kept her idol. I get Karishma played hers but she should have felt safe.

Not sad to see Elizabeth go. But I was hoping it would be Dan's name that appeared after the 7 Karishma votes :laugh:
That was a very reasonable idol play. Obviously seeing how people voted essentially everyone was on board with voting out Karishma, so she would have been under the impression that Karishma could just have her pick of whoever she wanted. Very reasonable to protect yourself in such an uncertain situation, especially considering it's only good for one more tribal.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, this season is just flat-out rough. Really poor cast for who's left. Who's even the most deserving right now? Lauren? Elaine is likable but hasn't really done anything.

Reactions: Gains

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Yeah, this season is just flat-out rough. Really poor cast for who's left. Who's even the most deserving right now? Lauren? Elaine is likable but hasn't really done anything.

They are all dumb. Noura and Dean on top of that list. Also, Lauren has cried in every single episode.

Reactions: Trap Jesus

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I thing it's been entertaining as hell because I have no idea from episode to episode who's going to work with whom and who's going to get voted out. I realize that a lot of people are making stupid moves but it's entertaining as shit.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I thing it's been entertaining as hell because I have no idea from episode to episode who's going to work with whom and who's going to get voted out. I realize that a lot of people are making stupid moves but it's entertaining as ****.
To me I'm just looking at it like there will be no deserving winner so what does this really matter? I mean, yeah there's always a winner no matter what and someone is getting the $1 million, but when the show has been on nearly 40 seasons it's tough to get too invested from an entertainment standpoint when whoever wins is just going to be an afterthought in Survivor history.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Dean gives new meaning to the term slack-jawed.
Yeah, really. At first thought I was like "Hey, maybe he's doing some Machiavellian thing where he's creating chaos in the core alliance, trying to break them down." And then I remembered it was Dean and sure enough he's just like "We'll talk" to Tommy after the vote, just trying to suck up and go to the bottom of their alliance. Maybe that would matter if he could bide some time to rely on challenges when it gets down to 5 or whatever, but he's been useless at those.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Yeah I'm not sure what Dean's strategy with that whole tribal counsel was other than he wants to be one of the "cool" group or something lol.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Yeah, really. At first thought I was like "Hey, maybe he's doing some Machiavellian thing where he's creating chaos in the core alliance, trying to break them down." And then I remembered it was Dean and sure enough he's just like "We'll talk" to Tommy after the vote, just trying to suck up and go to the bottom of their alliance. Maybe that would matter if he could bide some time to rely on challenges when it gets down to 5 or whatever, but he's been useless at those.
That too.

I meant literally. They constantly show him with his mouth open while at the same time emitting the Websters' template for a dumb-looking face.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Is it true that Jeff Probst is retiring after this year and Boston Rob and Sandra are doing this season as a job interview for the new host? That's a rumour that I heard and I wanted to know if anyone else has heard that.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario

I don't understand Dean's strategy here either, and for someone who is the first one out of just about every immunity challenge, it makes even less sense.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I don't understand Dean's strategy here either, and for someone who is the first one out of just about every immunity challenge, it makes even less sense.
The funniest thing is that he's referenced numerous times about keeping other "strong" people around because it takes pressure off of him as a physical threat lol. Uhh I don't think anyone sees you that way, Dean.

Reactions: Loosie

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
The funniest thing is that he's referenced numerous times about keeping other "strong" people around because it takes pressure off of him as a physical threat lol. Uhh I don't think anyone sees you that way, Dean.

Not unless he's playing an incredible long game of 'appearing' weaker just become a challenge beast at the end...

Viggo Mortensen

Gandalf the Grey
Dec 14, 2008
Gondor
I agree that Dean is a bad contestant, however I totally understand his move at last tribal. The guy was in an alliance with someone he tried to boot 5-6 times (Karishma) and a basket case that leaks everything (Noura)....That's not the type of alliance you want to be in. Instead, he flipped at the last minute, benefiting from Tommy freaking out to score points with the other ''alliance''. He was always going to be at the bottom of an alliance but at least he's scored some points with a strong member of the stronger alliance. If someone wants to pull a big move against an ally (See Tommy vs Lauren), he won't be at the bottom anymore.

Anyway, doesn't change the fact that he's a goat and will stay a goat until the end.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I agree that Dean is a bad contestant, however I totally understand his move at last tribal. The guy was in an alliance with someone he tried to boot 5-6 times (Karishma) and a basket case that leaks everything (Noura)....That's not the type of alliance you want to be in. Instead, he flipped at the last minute, benefiting from Tommy freaking out to score points with the other ''alliance''. He was always going to be at the bottom of an alliance but at least he's scored some points with a strong member of the stronger alliance. If someone wants to pull a big move against an ally (See Tommy vs Lauren), he won't be at the bottom anymore.

Anyway, doesn't change the fact that he's a goat and will stay a goat until the end.

No goat. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad