TV: Survivor: Island of the Idols - Discussion Thread

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
She has that connection with Dean and it'll make him loyal to her (at least one would think). I think she's easily the best player so far this season, at least from what they've shown.

Jamal is interesting. The guy is incredibly smart but it's almost like it's impossible for him to not appear smug or distant from people. It reminds me of Spencer from previous seasons in a way. Just like this cold, calculated, methodical player that probably doesn't have the social game (without it coming across as forced) to win it.
Yeah, there's that connection and Dean will definitely be grateful. I've felt a few people are actually pretty smart, that older lady seems like she's got a good hold of thing too.

Yeah, you're bang on with your Jamal stuff there. He's a weird one, seems so arrogant but self aware at the same time...he's tough to figure out.

Reactions: Trap Jesus

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
"I'm offended you think because we are women we would get in an alliance together!!"

...meanwhile, the other tribe has a total woman's alliance. :)

Then the show goes on a spiel of how it's because of the times we live in. Go rah rah.

They acted as if this was the first time a female alliance, or even the conversation of one, had ever existed in the time of Survivor.

Pretty amusing stuff.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Having said that, Dan is a ****ing creep. Muttering "Yeah, snuff that torch out" when Kellie got voted out was really gross.
I like that the producers went out of their way to provide video evidence that support Kellie’s claims against Dan; even including shots with boom mics in it. They also included her concerns starting with early episodes to show it was more than gameplay. They also made a concerted point to show Missy and Elizabeth weaponizing legitimate claims from Kellie to manipulate Janet.

The broadcast vindicates Kellie and Janet, while making Dan, Missy, and Elizabeth look poor. Aaron made himself look like an idiot at Tribal.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I gotta say, that was one of the best episodes of Survivor I have seen...really compelling stuff. It was tough to explain to my 10 year old daughter who watched with us.

Reactions: SPV and Tuggy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I like that the producers went out of their way to provide video evidence that support Kellie’s claims against Dan; even including shots with boom mics in it. They also included her concerns starting with early episodes to show it was more than gameplay. They also made a concerted point to show Missy and Elizabeth weaponizing legitimate claims from Kellie to manipulate Janet.

The broadcast vindicates Kellie and Janet, while making Dan, Missy, and Elizabeth look poor. Aaron made himself look like an idiot at Tribal.

Agreed. Kellie had legitimate concerns very early in this season. It was real and it was creepy. Especially when Dan tries to brush her hair behind her ears, like who does that??

I gotta say, Missy is just terrible. Haven't disliked a survivor like her in a while. Her and Elizabeth this past epsiode...just wrong.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Watching Kellee and Jamal go out back-to-back was tough. Over so many seasons you get used to watching people you like get voted out, blindsides, deception etc, but last night still felt cringe worthy. Not so much because they got voted out, because that's the game (especially Kellee who was a huge threat, IMO) but because all the stuff surrounding Dan seemed to get minimized because Elizabeth and Missy seemed to cloud the waters around it. Aaron's attempt to weigh in was so perfectly dudebro male, you couldn't have scripted it any better, and Dan, on top of being a creep to Kellee, is a pretty classic example of thinks he's woke because he uses a hashtag now and again. I did feel bad for Janet though, who in a game where you have to distance yourself between it and how you'd react in the real world was genuinely trying to do her best for a group of women she had been told felt threatened.

Also, it's funny how conditioned they all get to certain norms and practices. When Jamal got voted out, Nora was incredulous she didn't get a goodbye.

Reactions: Zeppo and Tuggy

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
Elizabeth and Missy getting ROASTED on social media.

Missy Byrd (@themissybyrd) | Twitter

Elizabeth Beisel (@ebeisel34) | Twitter

Probably be a good idea if they released a statement or something...

Knew that was coming. Lauren and Aaron are getting destroyed too.

I really dislike all four of them, but I always feel like directly contacting them on social media is a bit excessive. I'm not sure what people feel like they're accomplishing when they harass people on Twitter, Instagram, etc.

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
Really hope Kellee and Jamal are on future returnee seasons. They seem like genuinely good-hearted and interesting players and it's awful that they got voted out before Dan.

Also, I know Janet's probably gone soon, but I hope she gets to take out Dan before she goes.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John

I really dislike all four of them, but I always feel like directly contacting them on social media is a bit excessive. I'm not sure what people feel like they're accomplishing when they harass people on Twitter, Instagram, etc.

Yeah, I don't get it either. I'll make comments here about them but I would never directly post at them or message. I can only imagine what people are sending them in private messages :laugh:

Reactions: SPV and SensBrawler

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Elizabeth and Missy getting ROASTED on social media.

Missy Byrd (@themissybyrd) | Twitter

Elizabeth Beisel (@ebeisel34) | Twitter

Probably be a good idea if they released a statement or something...

Good! I was watching the episode like why aren't they getting hate? They better get hammered at reunion.

This episode was a perfect example. Jamal and everyone is talking about how you need to listen and believe women. Meanwhile, Missy and Liz were lying and using it for their gain. Perfect example of why people don't believe everyone. This episode did nothing for women. You can tell Liz felt a little remorse. Missy is cold blooded and doesn't give a shit.

Reactions: SPV

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I gotta say, that was one of the best episodes of Survivor I have seen...really compelling stuff. It was tough to explain to my 10 year old daughter who watched with us.

How? You had a guy who works with young women saying we need to listen and believe them. You had an older women who has lived it put her game on the line for what was right. Then you had women lying about a serious claim to advance their game. We got both ends of the spectrum. I feel like this did nothing for women but keep us in neutral.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
How? You had a guy who works with young women saying we need to listen and believe them. You had an older women who has lived it put her game on the line for what was right. Then you had women lying about a serious claim to advance their game. We got both ends of the spectrum. I feel like this did nothing for women but keep us in neutral.

I think it was actually even damaging for women, and that is what my wife and I had to explain to my kid. Not only did they brush off legitimate concerns, they used them to manipulate both the accused and the woman who was the clear moral compass and advocate for others. It was disgusting. [my kid was just the lead in the Girl Who Cried Wolf mini play they did at school too, so it was very topical]

That said, it was compelling and riveting TV and prompted a depth of discussion not seen on the show. It doesn't mean you have to agree with any of it or approve of anyone's actions.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I think it was actually even damaging for women, and that is what my wife and I had to explain to my kid. Not only did they brush off legitimate concerns, they used them to manipulate both the accused and the woman who was the clear moral compass and advocate for others. It was disgusting. [my kid was just the lead in the Girl Who Cried Wolf mini play they did at school too, so it was very topical]

That said, it was compelling and riveting TV and prompted a depth of discussion not seen on the show. It doesn't mean you have to agree with any of it or approve of anyone's actions.

Props on good parenting

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Liz is a morally reprehensible person, along with Missy (to a bit of a lesser extent). If I was her employer I'd fire her on the spot. Regardless of what the actual truths are, she was playing with a guy's livelihood and another person's well-meaning against each other. Just an absolutely vile person. Dan also comes across as a complete creep, doesn't look good for him either. It just boggles my mind how a family man and person with a well-off position can act this way in the complete open like this.

As others have echoed though, this is such an unlikable cast at this point. Seriously impressed by Jamal's takes that he's had at a few different tribals; such a well-reasoned person.

Edit: seriously can't get over Liz. You hear so much about people manipulating others in the me too movement, but she literally did it on both sides, just absolute insanity. "It's just a game" doesn't apply, there have been real life consequences before for people's behavior on the show (see Varner). Wish her nothing but the worst.

Last edited:

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada

I agree, it's immature.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I agree, it's immature.
Her Twitter is about promoting herself to a fanbase and people she mostly doesn't know. There are actions you can take to protect your privacy if you wish to. It's fair game for them to be roasted.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Just watched, and wow. I hate to stop watching the show, I thought they handled it as best as they could within the game context, but just terrible stuff there. It's true Survivor is a microcosm of society, and so not surprising that it ended the way it did, because we have a long way to go still.

We need more people like Jamal & Janet, in the game, and in the real world.

Reactions: Tuggy and Zeppo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad