Super Smash Bros Ultimate (13.0 + Sora)

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
A buddy of mine and I started World of Light together on my console while he was in from out of town. Turns out World of Light is insanely longer than any previous Smash single-player mode, and that's something neither of us knew. I think I'm at the end of it after being carried through by Marth and Chrom. I just want it to be over already so I can move on to something else.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
A buddy of mine and I started World of Light together on my console while he was in from out of town. Turns out World of Light is insanely longer than any previous Smash single-player mode, and that's something neither of us knew. I think I'm at the end of it after being carried through by Marth and Chrom. I just want it to be over already so I can move on to something else.

It is truly insanely long. I think I am finally at the end but who knows at this point. I just got the achievement for 777 unique spirits so I know I've made a good dent.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I love how ridiculously long it is. I am very, very slowly chipping away at it. Just came across Donkey Kong Country and Pac-Man last night. Street Fighter world was so cool too.

Its an awesome mode. I am so confused by the complaints about its length. Its just more single player stuff to do in Smash.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
It is truly insanely long. I think I am finally at the end but who knows at this point. I just got the achievement for 777 unique spirits so I know I've made a good dent.

No idea how many spirits I have in total, but I've upgraded to level 99 all of the ones that can be enhanced, plus most of the Legend spirits I've come across. Maxed out Legend spirits make the "no-frills" battles very easy.

I love how ridiculously long it is. I am very, very slowly chipping away at it. Just came across Donkey Kong Country and Pac-Man last night. Street Fighter world was so cool too.

Its an awesome mode. I am so confused by the complaints about its length. Its just more single player stuff to do in Smash.

My complaint about its length stems from my need to complete everything in a game before playing something else. It's more of a personal problem than anything else, haha. As for enjoying the gameplay, I've enjoyed it a good deal, but it's very, very repetitive after a while.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
No idea how many spirits I have in total, but I've upgraded to level 99 all of the ones that can be enhanced, plus most of the Legend spirits I've come across. Maxed out Legend spirits make the "no-frills" battles very easy.

Yeah once you get the Punch Out Gym unlocked it becomes easy to max out your spirits. I have ~200 lv 99 spirits, including maybe 30 or so Legends. Combined with the right support spirits it definitely helps, though some fights are still challenging. There are still several Legend fights I'm not able to beat since the computer just cheats so much and/or the assist trophies are super overpowered.

The Dr. Wiley stamina battle where you face 8 metal Mega Mans before a metal Dr Mario is brutal until you get a Metal Killer spirit... And the 5-volt and 8-volt fight with the Sheriff and Galaga assist trophies took me maybe 30 tries.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Yeah once you get the Punch Out Gym unlocked it becomes easy to max out your spirits. I have ~200 lv 99 spirits, including maybe 30 or so Legends. Combined with the right support spirits it definitely helps, though some fights are still challenging. There are still several Legend fights I'm not able to beat since the computer just cheats so much and/or the assist trophies are super overpowered.

The Dr. Wiley stamina battle where you face 8 metal Mega Mans before a metal Dr Mario is brutal until you get a Metal Killer spirit... And the 5-volt and 8-volt fight with the Sheriff and Galaga assist trophies took me maybe 30 tries.
Both of those encounters were pretty tough, for sure. The Mega Man one is way easier after using skill spheres to get the Metal Killer attribute. That way it can open up an extra support spirit slot for something else. I think I wasn't able to beat it until I unlocked most of the skill sphere grid, actually.

Those Goddamn Galaga assist trophies are so unbelievably OP it's not even funny. That encounter took sooooo long to beat. They kept breaking out of the Galaga beam whenever I managed to pick one up as an item, but I could never escape from one of their beams. I think I got lucky when I won because I found out a pattern to make Inceneroar SD at the beginning of the fight nearly every time. Or at least I think it was during that encounter.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Those Goddamn Galaga assist trophies are so unbelievably OP it's not even funny. That encounter took sooooo long to beat. They kept breaking out of the Galaga beam whenever I managed to pick one up as an item, but I could never escape from one of their beams. I think I got lucky when I won because I found out a pattern to make Inceneroar SD at the beginning of the fight nearly every time. Or at least I think it was during that encounter.

I managed to beat that fight by using a spirit that gives you giant + metal, combined with assist killer. The metal allows you to get close to Sheriff without flinching and I managed to kill him. Incineroar killed himself for me too, and then I just did everything possible to stop the other guy from getting the Galaga item. I think I got caught in the tractor bean 3 times but was able to get out. It's an instant KO if you are over 60%.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Having fun with it but man how is everyone so good at this game

I always fancied myself a pretty good smash player on Melee and Brawl but didn’t play much since then til I got my switch for Christmas. Somehow everyone online is really good and I have a losing record

Might just take time but I’m surprised I haven’t even come across a single bad player online, especially after Christmas with a bunch of people who just got the switch

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Having fun with it but man how is everyone so good at this game

I always fancied myself a pretty good smash player on Melee and Brawl but didn’t play much since then til I got my switch for Christmas. Somehow everyone online is really good and I have a losing record

Might just take time but I’m surprised I haven’t even come across a single bad player online, especially after Christmas with a bunch of people who just got the switch

I'm getting my ass handed to me too. Used to be good with Melee but I stand almost no chance online.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Running into more people online who have their rules set to 2 Stock and Omega stages and trying to get quick cheap kills. So annoying to play around those.

I almost got to Elite Smash last week and was sitting at 2.3M GSP but hit a bit of a rough patch and just been getting frustrated lately.

Last edited:

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I legit don't think I've ever won a single match online. My GSP is horrific, like 10,000 or something. I just don't really use my grabs or shields or anything, never have.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Latest leak for DLC characters has them rumored to be Piranha Plant, Joker, Hero from Dragon Quest, Ryu from Ninja Gaiden, Steve from Minecraft and Doomguy from Doom.

The releases are supposed line up with the franchise anniversaries and releases of new games in the series on Switch

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
I've played since 64 came out and have always played with default controls and used the left stick to jump. For the first time ever, this week I changed up some controls and started using the X button to jump so I can actually short hop. What a transition that has been. Have to tell my brain to not use the stick to recover from getting hit from the stage.

This definitely has helped me in some aspects though. Defending from people hanging on the edge has gotten better with this.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
I've played since 64 came out and have always played with default controls and used the left stick to jump. For the first time ever, this week I changed up some controls and started using the X button to jump so I can actually short hop. What a transition that has been. Have to tell my brain to not use the stick to recover from getting hit from the stage.

This definitely has helped me in some aspects though. Defending from people hanging on the edge has gotten better with this.

I hate the left stick up being jump, I would turn it off if I could (maybe I can I've never looked)

I do it on accident all the time when trying to do certain attacks

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
I hate the left stick up being jump, I would turn it off if I could (maybe I can I've never looked)

I do it on accident all the time when trying to do certain attacks
Yes you can. In the option menu, look for the "controls" option. You can make a profile and then customize the controls to your liking. I hate tap jump. I have set the c stick to tilt attacks and R to jump.

Reactions: Pay Carl

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Latest leak for DLC characters has them rumored to be Piranha Plant, Joker, Hero from Dragon Quest, Ryu from Ninja Gaiden, Steve from Minecraft and Doomguy from Doom.

The releases are supposed line up with the franchise anniversaries and releases of new games in the series on Switch

If those are the characters...eh. I like the Dragon Quest games well enough, but individual characters don't really stand out to me at all (mind you I seem to be the one person who can't stand Toriyama's art style, even if Chrono Trigger is one of my all-time top 3 games). Ninja Gaiden gets absolutely zero response from me...not a series I've ever played or ever wanted to play. f*** Steve. Doomguy would be awesome.

Last edited:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Anybody else fight the volleyball player spirit? It’s amazing! You fight against 6 Wii Fit Trainers, all wearing red, and they just keep overhand smashing green and yellow soccer balls at you!

This is such an amazing way of implementing a single player fighting mode. The way they mix up battle conditions and stipulations to make them all feel unique and distinctive is so damn impressive.

Sure there are plenty of dogs in the mix, but overall package is incredible.

Such a perfect game to play while watching the NFL.

Edit: fought the Hockey Players spirit from NES Ice Hockey, so they had a big, a tall, and a normal guy, all wearing white. Not as good as the volleyball player but still good.

This game is so motherf***ing charming. :vhappy:

Last edited:
Reactions: Eternal Sunshine

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Kind of lame how you can unlock every character just from playing randomly. And all maps unlocked from the beginning

Just zero challenge to it. Didn’t even take me long! Only one week of playing for maybe an hour a day on average

I remember in the old games you’d have to beat a certain challenge, classic mode with certain characters, etc. I get that there are a ton of characters so that would be kinda hard but still

Why should I even play classic mode with all the characters? Little disappointing that there aren’t many payoffs in the game

Seems like a flaw of a lot of Nintendo games. I don’t know if it’s cause they have a lot of young kids playing so they don’t want to make it too hard, but still. It’s a lot of fun to play, but the lack of rewards in Nintendo games (no acheivemnt system, not many unlockable things, etc) is kind of frustrating. MARIO kart is the same. I’m pretty sure you have all courses and characters unlocked from the beginning. The old games had a lot more challenging unlockable characters and maps

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
I don't think I've seen anyone else complaining that way about it. It's been the other way around actually.

And you could have unlocked them strictly through World of Light if you wanted to. A game mode.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Kind of lame how you can unlock every character just from playing randomly. And all maps unlocked from the beginning

Just zero challenge to it. Didn’t even take me long! Only one week of playing for maybe an hour a day on average

I remember in the old games you’d have to beat a certain challenge, classic mode with certain characters, etc. I get that there are a ton of characters so that would be kinda hard but still

Why should I even play classic mode with all the characters? Little disappointing that there aren’t many payoffs in the game

Seems like a flaw of a lot of Nintendo games. I don’t know if it’s cause they have a lot of young kids playing so they don’t want to make it too hard, but still. It’s a lot of fun to play, but the lack of rewards in Nintendo games (no acheivemnt system, not many unlockable things, etc) is kind of frustrating. MARIO kart is the same. I’m pretty sure you have all courses and characters unlocked from the beginning. The old games had a lot more challenging unlockable characters and maps

There are 1200+ spirits to unlock!

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
I don't think I've seen anyone else complaining that way about it. It's been the other way around actually.

And you could have unlocked them strictly through World of Light if you wanted to. A game mode.

Yeah I could, and you can also unlock them from Classic Mode. Thats not the point

Did you play SSBM? There were some you had to do very specific things to do to get

List of unlockables (SSBM) - SmashWiki, the Super Smash Bros. wiki

There is a specific thing you need for every character. In this game I was getting characters so fast I literally don't even know the names of like five of them, and don't know the movesets of probably half

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad