Super Smash Bros Ultimate (13.0 + Sora)

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Went in thinking I would be playing lots of Fox and Roy online as usual.. nopeee for some reason not doing as good and have been playing lots of Cloud, Dark Pit and most recently Little Mac

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
World of Light?

It is my favourite thing to happen in gaming in a few years

no not world of light. (though that's irritating me at the moment ;) )

the actual spirit board.
it just annoys me that you somehow beat an advanced (or a legend) spirit then you have to shoot them free and if you miss poof you can't get the spirit anyway (not to mention legend spirits are freaking hard lol)

Reactions: Eternal Sunshine

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
okay if you clear a spirit (and have it) and get another one, what happens?

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
okay if you clear a spirit (and have it) and get another one, what happens?

There’s some menu where you can sell them or whatever it’s called. It’s from the same screen where you level them up. I think you dismiss them and then get some consumable spirit upgrades.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I love the game, but one of my Joy-cons has paid the price. The analog stick is now almost constantly shifting up, making it difficult to play not only Smash, but my other Switch games as well.

Sad day for me. :(

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
There’s some menu where you can sell them or whatever it’s called. It’s from the same screen where you level them up. I think you dismiss them and then get some consumable spirit upgrades.

thanks. yah i figured it out.
do you know if you summon do you lose the spirit completely? I'd like to summon some stuff but it took forever to get ONE spirit, so i'm not really eager to test it out and have to figure out how to get it again.

edit; yes it is. but i just got some extra spirits that are very niche, and i got Hector (for charmed smash armour) which is awesome. :) i am really enjoying the FE event.

Last edited:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I've been playing a ton of different characters (hooray matchmaking is fixed!) and have ended up picking up characters i really didn't think i'd have interest in.

Corrin: Stupidly fun despite my...distaste for FE characters. Her air game is nuts and very easy to combo with. (down tilt alone can open somebody up as much as 40 to 50 percent off of the one hit.) The downside is her kill power is very unreliable as her smashes need to hit the enemy directly in their center of mass to do max damage (imagine Marth/Roy/Lucina's tipper mechanic, just worse) and most of her air moves only kill at 130% and up unless you're feeling ballsy and want to try your up b near the top of the blast zone

Yoshi: Plays the same as 4 essentially outside of his up tilt launch enemies at an gangly angle and his up air also being decidingly jankier.

Ganondorf: He's always been fun but god damn he's even more fun. You basically need 3, maybe 4 moves to land and your opponent is dead. His sword also has stupidly great coverage for his up air. Bowser and DK have been incredibly fun as heavies too.

Link: Don't play him as much because i'm not a huge fan of him losing his hookshot grab (usually an easy grab into up tilt/air combo) but he's still alright. Feels like he hits harder than his brawl variation.

Simon: For when i really want to tilt someone off the face of the earth: Whoever designed this character needs to rethink their life :laugh:

Sitting at an alright 1.4 to 1.6 million depending on the character. Have def improved from my smash 4 days.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
i wish the shop can tell you exactly WHAT the spirits were/have.
I bought Hinoka (worth it).
I bought Karate Kong (not worth it at the time even at 20% off) so i quit the game. (and im glad now that i know if you quit you are not committed to it until you leave.

so happy i did because then Anna had Pyra available (no sale, but 6K sp, and i did it since she was Legend, and she KILLS ASSIST TROPHIES. god where was this ages ago?) it came right into play into killing Captain Falcon and his annoying assist trophies (and will help in other spirit board stuff. WLL WORTH THE PURCHASE).

I have to say, for my first smash game - so worth it. I am really enjoying this. sometimes i have zero idea what's going on LOL and i win/don't win and i'm like HUH?!

I've been playing a ton of different characters (hooray matchmaking is fixed!) and have ended up picking up characters i really didn't think i'd have interest in.

Corrin: Stupidly fun despite my...distaste for FE characters. Her air game is nuts and very easy to combo with. (down tilt alone can open somebody up as much as 40 to 50 percent off of the one hit.) The downside is her kill power is very unreliable as her smashes need to hit the enemy directly in their center of mass to do max damage (imagine Marth/Roy/Lucina's tipper mechanic, just worse) and most of her air moves only kill at 130% and up unless you're feeling ballsy and want to try your up b near the top of the blast zone

i keep reading this (a lot of people don't like the FE characters). maybe it's because i am a big FE fan (and Roy (or Ike) unlocked like 2/3rds of the characters/spirits for me. but how come you don't like FE characters?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
i wish the shop can tell you exactly WHAT the spirits were/have.
I bought Hinoka (worth it).
I bought Karate Kong (not worth it at the time even at 20% off) so i quit the game. (and im glad now that i know if you quit you are not committed to it until you leave.

so happy i did because then Anna had Pyra available (no sale, but 6K sp, and i did it since she was Legend, and she KILLS ASSIST TROPHIES. god where was this ages ago?) it came right into play into killing Captain Falcon and his annoying assist trophies (and will help in other spirit board stuff. WLL WORTH THE PURCHASE).

I have to say, for my first smash game - so worth it. I am really enjoying this. sometimes i have zero idea what's going on LOL and i win/don't win and i'm like HUH?!

i keep reading this (a lot of people don't like the FE characters). maybe it's because i am a big FE fan (and Roy (or Ike) unlocked like 2/3rds of the characters/spirits for me. but how come you don't like FE characters?

Because people (myself included) feel like they should haven't have as many characters in the game as they do, for varying reasons

Marth, Lucina, Roy and Chrom have very few differences among them. Marth and Lucina being exact copies of one another and Roy started out life as a Marth clone before...kinda evolving. Even then his moveset is still very similar to marth. Chrom is also obviously a mismash of Roy and Ike (with him being directly called an Echo to Roy as well) For the majority of people it's too many characters with too little differences.

I personally don't mind Ike and Corrin because they play differently, Robin i dislike because it's yet another projectile spam character. By time Corrin was launched as smash 4 DLC people kinda had it with the series. Marth and Roy also don't bother me so much since i, and many others essentially grew up with them due to Melee

Perhaps even more hilarious is how Corrin is generally the most liked FE character by Smash fans because of the fact she's super unique in both her fighting style and moveset, but is absolutely hated by FE fans for being what they consider the worst written protag in the entire series.

Personally i feel that characters from such a niche series doesn't need 7 reps but Sakurai apparently adores the series so no stopping it. Almost willing to bet we get one more as DLC.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Because people (myself included) feel like they should haven't have as many characters in the game as they do, for varying reasons

Marth, Lucina, Roy and Chrom have very few differences among them. Marth and Lucina being exact copies of one another and Roy started out life as a Marth clone before...kinda evolving. Even then his moveset is still very similar to marth. Chrom is also obviously a mismash of Roy and Ike (with him being directly called an Echo to Roy as well) For the majority of people it's too many characters with too little differences.

I personally don't mind Ike and Corrin because they play differently, Robin i dislike because it's yet another projectile spam character. By time Corrin was launched as smash 4 DLC people kinda had it with the series. Marth and Roy also don't bother me so much since i, and many others essentially grew up with them due to Melee

Perhaps even more hilarious is how Corrin is generally the most liked FE character by Smash fans because of the fact she's super unique in both her fighting style and moveset, but is absolutely hated by FE fans for being what they consider the worst written protag in the entire series.

Personally i feel that characters from such a niche series doesn't need 7 reps but Sakurai apparently adores the series so no stopping it. Almost willing to bet we get one more as DLC.

That's fair. like i said I am actually a big fan of fire emblem so it's kinda cool to see characters that i like in the game, but i guess that's fair if people are tired of them because they are the 'same's so to speak.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
To be fair, there are 7 representatives from FE, 8 from Pokemon, 10 from Mario, 6 from Zelda, etc.

And all of them have some aspect of obvious cloning going on with some of the characters (Mario/Dr. Mario, Mewtwo/Lucario, 30 different iterations of Link)

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Frankly the problem I have with the Fire Emblem characters is completely blown out of the water by my excitement over the Joker reveal - I hate playing as humanoid characters in games like this. Ever since I was a little kid my only fighting game strategy was to play as the weirdest characters possible, so I've mostly mained characters like Mr. Game & Watch and King Dedede in the past. I love the Fire Emblem games, and I love that we only basically got the series in the west because of Smash Bros. ...but they're always the characters I have the least interest in ever playing as.

Like I said though, that anti-human agenda falls apart when I know I'll be maining Joker the second that comes out, but...eh. Exceptions to every rule, I guess.

To be fair, though, I barely use Pokemon characters any more than FE characters, despite also loving Pokemon and those not being humanoid characters. They just never choose the Pokemon that I want to play as in these games. Out of the 81 new characters added in Sun & Moon, Incineroar probably wouldn't have cracked my top 50.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
It's hilarious how overpowered you can become using spirits.

Played a game as Pichu with a +Electric primary, two +Electric secondaries, and a +Smash secondary.

His side smash was doing 60-70% every time.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
So I've never played any of the Smash games but I've always wanted to. Just got this for Christmas. 9 more hours of work left and I'll be firing it up for the first time!

Reactions: Disclose

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Haven’t played Smash since 10 minutes of Brawl in like 2007. No idea what I’m doing.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
Finally picked this up for myself. I need to get an adapter, Joycons are ass to play on. I bought an adapter and it's hopefully coming by Sunday. Otherwise this kinda sucks. Haven't been able to play against non AI opponents for a while

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I have some friends coming over tonight, my buddies from high school. We played Smash 64 all through high school and then Melee on Gamecube for many, many years after. Smash bros was basically all we did until we started going to bars.

I was always the worst player out of the three of us but still enjoyed it. Most recently one of my friends broke his back so we pitched in and bought him Smash to keep him occupied. Last week he was talking a lot of shit about how much better he's always been, and tonight we will finally have a chance to face off.

I have been training in anticipation for this battle. I am pretty good with Simon, just keep him at bay with the axes and boomerang, and if he jumps towards me, use the up B multiple times in a row to destroy him. Otherwise, I jump, throw holy water, and while he is trapped in the flame, smash whip him to death. Simon is f***ing cheap.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
Buddy of mine gave me his Wii U GameCube controller adapter that works with the Switch. Immediately went out and bought two more of the new GameCube wired controllers to go with my original two. Finally set up for a decent local game.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
So I spent a while in training mode trying to see how to edgeguard certain characters as Wolf. His recovery is poo so going to ham is just gonna lead to SD's. While trying to be as safe as possible, his neutral Air gives him lingers so it's a very good option off stage. Down air is a bit slow but it's a decent spike. That being said, Inkling's recovery is f***ing Pejorative Slured and for the life of me cannot find a way to stop them from coming back on stage. Even when they don't sweet spot their landing causes an aoe and damages anyone even thinking about punishing them (or I stink). They're bastards to gimp; so I gave up. Will try again at another time. Whoever's idea to make Inkling's recover that stupid good, I hate you lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad