Sundin versus Kessel

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Something to discuss. At a glance it's easy to write off Kessel in comparison, but let's talk about it. These two are the best players the Leafs have had since Gilmour. Both involved in trades that were highly criticized at first, both have their merits.

Pros for Sundin
Decent all around game
Consistent
More important position
Clutch
One of the best backhand shots in the game
Highly accurate slapshot
Two post season AS selections

For Kessel
Better skater
More creative
Slightly better wrister
More top ten finishes in points and assists

The last point for Kessel is what brings the comparison. At just 26, he has more top ten finishes in points as well as assists, despite being thought of as a goal scorer while Mats is surely considered the better playmaker.

Sundin on the other hand finished with two all Star selections, playing centre in an era that probably boasted the greatest group of centres ever.

The numbers seem to be a wash. Both could be expected to post around 30 goals and 80 points each year.

Kessel may have more help on offence, but both are known to have made their linemates better.

Neither won anything of note in the NHL, neither deserves blame for that.

Sundin had incredible longevity, Kessel has shown himself to be quite durable, likely playing through injury. Unconfirmed, just a suspicion.

Obviously people will scoff at the idea of comparing a 26 year old to a hall of famer, but is this perhaps closer than it appears at a glance?

I'm on my phone and can't seem to make a poll. A mod may add one if necessary

Last edited:

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Another similarity between them will end up being that they were not properly appreciated by this fan base until they were gone.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Another similarity between them will end up being that they were not properly appreciated by this fan base until they were gone.

I think Sundin actually got more flak when he left despite Burke coming in and publicly announcing he had no interest in bringing Sundin back. I'm hoping we can avoid getting too deep into that, I know there are still a lot of hard feelings for some fans

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Not that close for me right now. Sundin was a better player. At this point Sundin is more like Kopitar vs Kessel and I highly doubt anyone takes Kessel in that comparison

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I think there are a lot of positives naturally when it comes to Kessel. The offense has been great and really he has helped get guys put on his line going. Lupul on the Kessel line and Lupul off the Kessel line aren't exactly comparable offensive forces. While not great the two-way game has gotten better compared to where he started.

Of course while probably heavily influenced by the nostalgic glasses I still prefer Mats. Probably since he could combine the role of top skilled player and reliable Captain. Certainly when you look at this team a guy who could pretty much hold onto the puck for as long as he wanted to in the offensive zone is pretty good.

Still think it's ridiculous how things ended with Mats. Looking at this team it really would make no difference whether he was traded or not. This organization is doomed to mediocrity. Even worse he didn't get to play the last season here because we had no many more important guys we had to play on our roster compared to an aging Sundin...We might have had to cut into Stajan's icetime or something :laugh:.

In the end Kessel is an offensive force and a skilled player. May not be Sundin, but still glad we've got him.

Michael Gary Scott

Toronto Maple Tron's
Apr 27, 2010
Pretty ridiculous comparison in my opinion. Completely different players that have completely different personalities and effects on organizations. Kessel might outscore Sundin over his career, but I still wouldnt consider him to be nearly as good a player. Not even close.

Michael Gary Scott

Toronto Maple Tron's
Apr 27, 2010
Think about it this way, is it fair to compare someone to the most beloved player in an organizations history? I dont think so. (Yes I do believe that Sundin is the most beloved player in the history of our organization)

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
probably, but it's a bit early to predict.

Yea he plays in toroto we have seen it with a couple different maple leafs u dont need to win anything (sundin) to be in the hhof, just play in toronto and the fans will get u in after u screw them over ;)

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Think about it this way, is it fair to compare someone to the most beloved player in an organizations history? I dont think so. (Yes I do believe that Sundin is the most beloved player in the history of our organization)

I think it depends how old you are. My dad's favourite player was Dave Keon, my grandpa's was Tim Horton (he loved the tough guys), my cousin loved Gilmour, I loved Sittler. Sundin was my favourite from the late 90's to the early 2000's.

Jun 27, 2005
I would add that I think that Kessel is the more exciting player to watch. He's also more frustrating to watch in his own end.

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
Something to discuss. At a glance it's easy to write off Kessel in comparison, but let's talk about it. These two are the best players the Leafs have had since Gilmour. Both involved in trades that were highly criticized at first, both have their merits.

Pros for Sundin
Decent all around game
Consistent
More important position
Clutch
One of the best backhand shots in the game
Highly accurate slapshot
Two post season AS selections

For Kessel
Better skater
More creative
Slightly better wrister
More top ten finishes in points and assists

The last point for Kessel is what brings the comparison. At just 26, he has more top ten finishes in points as well as assists, despite being thought of as a goal scorer while Mats is surely considered the better playmaker.

Sundin on the other hand finished with two all Star selections, playing centre in an era that probably boasted the greatest group of centres ever.

The numbers seem to be a wash. Both could be expected to post around 30 goals and 80 points each year.

Kessel may have more help on offence, but both are known to have made their linemates better.

Neither won anything of note in the NHL, neither deserves blame for that.

Sundin had incredible longevity, Kessel has shown himself to be quite durable, likely playing through injury. Unconfirmed, just a suspicion.

Obviously people will scoff at the idea of comparing a 26 year old to a hall of famer, but is this perhaps closer than it appears at a glance?

I'm on my phone and can't seem to make a poll. A mod may add one if necessary

A crippled Mogilny was better than both of them.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If he goes onto be one of the better American players, for sure he can be.

Joey Mullen - Born NY, New York

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=3838

Played 16 NHL seasons accumulating 1063 points in 1062 games.

Mullen played with the United States National Team on several occasions, including three Canada Cup tournaments. He was the first American player to score 500 goals and to reach 1,000 points in his career.

He was inducted into the United States Hockey Hall of Fame in 1998 and the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2000.

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
lol. Phil Kessel a HOF'er. That's hilarious. Would you guys consider Dany Healtey a HOF'er? Because that's the trajectory i see Kessel's career going. At least Heatley scored 50 twice and almost won the cup for the Sens.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
lol. Phil Kessel a HOF'er. That's hilarious. Would you guys consider Dany Healtey a HOF'er? Because that's the trajectory i see Kessel's career going. At least Heatley scored 50 twice and almost won the cup for the Sens.

If Kessel gets 500 career goals he'll most likely make it.

Kessel is nothing like Heatley.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
this is sacrilege of the worst kind.

Sundin is my most revered player. While Kessel is good, he's not a legend.

The comparison isn't even in the same galaxy.

Dugath

Jan 9, 2014
I wonder what Sundin would have been like if he played in the Non-clutch and grab era. Right now for the "most part", grabbing, holding and interference is call so players do it less.

I am sure Sundin (and a lot of other players) would have had even greater success if they played in their prime today.

Anyways two different kinds of players two different positions. Not fair to compare.

BTW.. Sundin FTW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad