Post-Game Talk: Sunday Matinee: Caps @ Pens | 1/17/21 | High Noon ET | NBC4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I don’t believe in conspiracy theories but I think the FBI should investigate the refs everytime we play the Pens

Reactions: ovikovy817

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Dumb NBC TV analysis of why it was a goal. Puck hit the underside of the crossbar. The back view was the worst angle. That white box shape inside the goal is where the camera sits. Strange how they didn't show what the inside the goal camera showed. Could it be because it never did cross the goal line?! In my opinion it was a poor call on the ice for the refs to call it a goal. It seemed to be one of those cases were the video evidence was not conclusive enough to overturn the goal. Had it been called no goal on the ice, then I think it would have been no goal after the stupid long review.
They did, actually, and the puck hits right off the camera to the point that you could practically read the words on it, shook the whole screen. I don't think they went back because it wasn't going to ever conclusively show the puck and the goal line at the same time, but if you need a third source to prove that the puck went in, you'd never have been able to see it at all if it only hit the crossbar.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I looked at replay(back of the net zoomed in) of that Pens goal that went to review. After multiple looks, I can see the puck strangely hit that white camera box inside the goal. What's awkward is the front camera view looked like it was showing it doinked the crossbar. I'm sure the NHL has spent millions on camera technology, yet they still haven't improved clarification/clarity as some of their reviews are still puzzling.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Just watched the game.
Really starting by to get concerned with Carlson. The Caps have given up 7 even strength goals this year. Carlson has been on the ice for 6 of them. Orlov isn’t much better at 5, but Carlson has been directly at fault for a few of these. Kick or not, Rodriguez was his man on that goal today and Carlson wasn’t even close.

Sammy seems to get lost whenever the puck ends up underneath the goal line. It also happens to Vanecek a bit, but not quite the same extent. Goalie coaching issue? Seems like something they need to address.

Reactions: Langway

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Just watched the game.
Really starting by to get concerned with Carlson. The Caps have given up 7 even strength goals this year. Carlson has been on the ice for 6 of them. Orlov isn’t much better at 5, but Carlson has been directly at fault for a few of these. Kick or not, Rodriguez was his man on that goal today and Carlson wasn’t even close.

Sammy seems to get lost whenever the puck ends up underneath the goal line. It also happens to Vanecek a bit, but not quite the same extent. Goalie coaching issue? Seems like something they need to address.

Orlov/Carlson pair is not working so well. I don't see it lasting much longer.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
team goaltending gets worse the second mitch korn leaves and team goaltending still isnt the most consistent thing.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

to blame Sammy’s current status on a coach who hasn’t been around in 3 years seems misguided to me.

let’s hold the players accountable for themselves first and foremost.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I was thinking how Wilson got better after injuring himself on a skateboard (IIRC). Maybe it helped him to become more professional.

Maybe Samsonov will recover from it too. Maybe not ofc.

Its still early to decide anything, but I'd allow VV to play more if he shows better results.

Also the team is old and lacking high-motor players. Kuzy will be a scapegoat in no time just because he is the younger center from them and his style is just not high-motor => should be helping team but looks disinterested = doom. Just my view.

Its been 3 games, but severeal posters already suggested trading him. Because GMBM is kinda already in a corner with no moves. So its logical to expect.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
It's very early in the season, but I hope Lavi uses the goaltending tandem technique and sees who earns the starting job. imho Vanacek has just as much right as Samsonov to win the job. Whoever mentioned that it might hurt Sammy's confidence - tough sh*t. That's pro sports and that's why these guys get paid way more money than "regular folks". Nobody makes it to this level without being uber-competitive.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
I was thinking how Wilson got better after injuring himself on a skateboard (IIRC). Maybe it helped him to become more professional.

Maybe Samsonov will recover from it too. Maybe not ofc.

Its still early to decide anything, but I'd allow VV to play more if he shows better results.

Also the team is old and lacking high-motor players. Kuzy will be a scapegoat in no time just because he is the younger center from them and his style is just not high-motor => should be helping team but looks disinterested = doom. Just my view.

Its been 3 games, but severeal posters already suggested trading him. Because GMBM is kinda already in a corner with no moves. So its logical to expect.

It is only 3 games in, but I think the trade-Kuzy club (of which I'm definitely a member) is based on his body of work/perceived effort levels since the moment they lifted the cup, and basically everything before the playoffs that year.

That's definitely all opinion not fact, but I'm not the GM so who cares what I think anyway.

Effective #2 centres in the league who put up points while playing a 200 foot game are pretty rare, so maybe we just have to keep plugging away trying to solve the Kuzy enigma, but he's been through a few coaches now and is still infuriatingly inconsistent and bad defensively, I think a certain point has to be reached where we at least explore whether there's a trade to be made.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Kuzy just needs to shoot more. There were so many times that he had an open lane to shoot. Or an easy walk right up to the crease because no one expects him to do it. And instead he just makes another pass. Its like the opposing defenses are daring him to shoot, and he doesn't take them up on it.

Carlson too on several of the PPs yesterday. So much open ice for Carlson to just take a few skates and bombs away, and instead he just casually passes it to Ovie.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
to blame Sammy’s current status on a coach who hasn’t been around in 3 years seems misguided to me.

let’s hold the players accountable for themselves first and foremost.

But the guy who replaced Korn was here the entire time Holtby played badly, and the entire time Sammy has been here. Not saying he's solely to blame, or that he shouldn't also get some credit for Stanley Cup Holtby and Samsonov when he was playing well, but we certainly haven't seen any elite-level goaltending in the regular season since Korn stepped down as goaltending coach, or at all since he left the organisation.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
But the guy who replaced Korn was here the entire time Holtby played badly, and the entire time Sammy has been here. Not saying he's solely to blame, or that he shouldn't also get some credit for Stanley Cup Holtby and Samsonov when he was playing well, but we certainly haven't seen any elite-level goaltending in the regular season since Korn stepped down as goaltending coach, or at all since he left the organisation.

If Holtby suddenly improves get back to me. I think he is simply aging, and we know Sammy has growing up issues to tackle, so there’s that.

Simple coincidence IMO. It’s on the two players not some magical coach.

Personally, I think it’s time to let go of the Korn crutch.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Kuzy just needs to shoot more. There were so many times that he had an open lane to shoot. Or an easy walk right up to the crease because no one expects him to do it. And instead he just makes another pass. Its like the opposing defenses are daring him to shoot, and he doesn't take them up on it.

Carlson too on several of the PPs yesterday. So much open ice for Carlson to just take a few skates and bombs away, and instead he just casually passes it to Ovie.
Kuzy needs to simplify his game and show more effort. He's not using his skating ability, that's the difference between this Kuzy and the one from the SC run. He's trying to dangle everyone instead of using speed and change of direction. Then when it fails he's like "ok, that's that".

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Personally, I think it’s time to let go of the Korn crutch.

I mean, the 'Korn crutch' seems to be the reason Scott Murray even still has a job:

Murray, 40, remains the goalie coach and is entering his eighth year within the organization. Murray was the goalie coach in Hershey for four years and is now in his fourth with Washington.

"I got a chance to speak to Scott Murray the goalie coach and I was really excited," Laviolette said. "I know he comes from working with Mitch Korn."

Laviolette added, "I have a lot of respect for that line that comes from Mitch to the older players and the younger coaches that he works with so I was excited to talk to him about the job."

Laviolette will likely have to lean heavily on Murray's advice when it comes to the goalies for the upcoming season. With a goalie competition behind Ilya Samsonov for the No. 2 role, there just may not be enough time for Laviolette to fully evaluate Vitek Vanecek, Pheonix Copley and Craig Anderson especially considering there will be no preseason games.
Peter Laviolette breaks down the responsibilities for each member of his staff

Reactions: Rayquaza64

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Coaches are coaches, not Shaman.

I don’t think a single NHL coach would say Holtby has fallen off due to absence of coaching from Korn, just my opinion.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Some players are so good it looks like they dont show effort like Kuzy and Mcdavid. Im sure dumb posters want to trade him because EDM sucks

Also remember all the bad trade Ovie threads we had to put up with around the Oates era

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Some players are so good it looks like they dont show effort like Kuzy and Mcdavid. Im sure dumb posters want to trade him because EDM sucks

Also remember all the bad trade Ovie threads we had to put up with around the Oates era

that’s what you’re selling? Kuzy is so good he just makes it look like he’s not trying?

bwahahahahahahahahahhaaaaaaa....

for the record, this fan doesn’t want Kuzy traded, I want a better Professional.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
Speaking of kuzy....did I see correctly his fancy new stick/blade?

does it really have a slot across the top third of the blade?

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
It's very early in the season, but I hope Lavi uses the goaltending tandem technique and sees who earns the starting job. imho Vanacek has just as much right as Samsonov to win the job. Whoever mentioned that it might hurt Sammy's confidence - tough sh*t. That's pro sports and that's why these guys get paid way more money than "regular folks". Nobody makes it to this level without being uber-competitive.

I believe Lavi said before the first game, he did not have a 1,2 rotation... instead he said both will play regularly and he will roll with the hot hand. It was a clear indication he was not handing the #1 role to Sammy, and that VV would have a chance to earn top honors if he was deserving. I liked hearing that. Competition brings out the best or worst in people and we need to see what it brings out of Sammy and VV each.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad