Post-Game Talk: Sunday Matinee: Caps @ Pens | 1/17/21 | High Noon ET | NBC4

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
Sammy is looking like a backup goalie right now. He was hyped as the future #1 and hasn't come close to it. Last season he played better than Holtby, but after the ATV accident he hasn't quite recovered. In my mind he's still too raw. His mechanics are average, but his mental game looks behind where it needs to be.
Two games for him...

giphy.gif

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Sammy is looking like a backup goalie right now. He was hyped as the future #1 and hasn't come close to it. Last season he played better than Holtby, but after the ATV accident he hasn't quite recovered. In my mind he's still too raw. His mechanics are average, but his mental game looks behind where it needs to be.

don’t know about his mechanics, but laterally he’s looked slow to me at times, mentally he’s seems unsettled early in game so far.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
don’t know about his mechanics, but laterally he’s looked slow to me at times, mentally he’s seems unsettled early in game so far.

Slow and out of control laterally, same thing I saw vs Buffalo.

There is no panic or controversy per some other comments. This is going to be a timeshare for a while, imo. Which is why I have both on my fantasy squad. ;)

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
F the Pens

Still not convinced that it was a goal. Who cares if they white thing moves, Samsonov could've touched the post, so it made moved the white thing.

Poor officiating, like always.
Dumb NBC TV analysis of why it was a goal. Puck hit the underside of the crossbar. The back view was the worst angle. That white box shape inside the goal is where the camera sits. Strange how they didn't show what the inside the goal camera showed. Could it be because it never did cross the goal line?! In my opinion it was a poor call on the ice for the refs to call it a goal. It seemed to be one of those cases were the video evidence was not conclusive enough to overturn the goal. Had it been called no goal on the ice, then I think it would have been no goal after the stupid long review.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Dumb NBC TV analysis of why it was a goal. Puck hit the underside of the crossbar. The back view was the worst angle. That white box shape inside the goal is where the camera sits. Strange how they didn't show what the inside the goal camera showed. Could it be because it never did cross the goal line?! In my opinion it was a poor call on the ice for the refs to call it a goal. It seemed to be one of those cases were the video evidence was not conclusive enough to overturn the goal. Had it been called no goal on the ice, then I think it would have been no goal after the stupid long review.

yep, which shows just how dumb it is that they don’t have sensors and video covering the entire inside.

FWIW, after that late angle, I thought it probably went in.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
We can't go without loosing games. It's good that we lost this game, while picking a point. 3 games in 4 nights after a long break and no pre-season for a veteran team is bad, glad we picked a point. Just move on and play better the next one. As for Samsonov, it's too early, give him a time. As I said it's better to be bad early than later. I'm pretty sure at the end of the season & playoffs, he'll be one of the best.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

I question some of his mechanics because he's not fluid in his movements. He looks awkward even on some of the routine saves he makes. The bigger issue is his mental game. He's guessing too much, as his reads(following the puck with his eyes) are not good right now. When a goalie has too many challenges following the puck with his eyes, he ends up having to use too much of his reflexes and as a result bad rebound control. On The Guentzel's shootout goal, Samsonov bit on one fake, closing up his five-hole, but that was by design. As soon as Guentzel shifted right carrying the puck, Samsonov open up his five-hole to stretch across and Guentzel easily tucked the puck in the net through Samsonov's five-hole. Samsonov was twisted out a bit that he forget to use his goalie stick with a paddle down technique.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Welp we knew we were getting PIT's 100% today and mostly weathered it
Great game from Big Willy, good physical game from most everyone, strong games from Panik and Backis too, 4th line had many good shifts

Some dumb penalties and dumb plays but nothing so egregious in Game 3 that it's time to jettison anyone to Uranus

Hope we dominate PIT on Tuesday on the scoreboard and physically and make Jarry look bad (assuming they go back to him)

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
That goal was a goal, it went in. But you’d think with no fans maybe they could set up a couple extra cameras? Can’t invest in sensors with all those corporate sponsors? I mean come on people!

Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Welp we knew we were getting PIT's 100% today and mostly weathered it
Great game from Big Willy, good physical game from most everyone, strong games from Panik and Backis too, 4th line had many good shifts

Some dumb penalties and dumb plays but nothing so egregious in Game 3 that it's time to jettison anyone to Uranus

Hope we dominate PIT on Tuesday on the scoreboard and physically and make Jarry look bad (assuming they go back to him)
Why would they go back to Jarry? I would stick with DeSmith till he has a bad game or the team plays 3 games in 4 days or something.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
That goal was a goal, it went in. But you’d think with no fans maybe they could set up a couple extra cameras? Can’t invest in sensors with all those corporate sponsors? I mean come on people!
There is a camera inside the net, but apparently they didn't want to show what was captured from the inside camera! All the reviews we saw on TV were from outside the goal camera's! It's simple, the inside goal camera showed Dowd's shot crossing the line. Had the Pens goal actually crossed the line, don't you think the same camera would have shown video evidence that the puck had gone past the crossbar? I bet ya if you looked at multiple video shots of shooters hitting the crossbar with the puck, you would catch a twitch of that white camera box inside the goal.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Why would they go back to Jarry? I would stick with DeSmith till he has a bad game or the team plays 3 games in 4 days or something.
lol you're probably right, I didn't think of it any further than
Jarry's the starter with DeSmith backing up
vs. DeSmith actually earning the next game (and prob. want Jarry in so Caps can abuse him while his confidence is shiite)

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I would go with VV next game. The good thing about playing the same teams over and over again you can really compare the goalies. You cant say they got the easy starts like Sammy has to start last season.

Lets see if VV looks as good vs Pitt

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

crab

Jan 26, 2019
I think Carlson and Samsonov can turn it around which the Caps need to be contenders. I just don’t see it with Kuznetsov, and without that 1/2C they won’t contend.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Not just 3 games in 4 nights, but all on the road too. They haven't slept in their own beds yet.

Sammy looked like he was having trouble tracking the puck from the little I was able to see. Several times he reacted slow to a shot attempt. Its still early and hopefully he has better outings, but he also made some huge saves for us too. Up and down like a young goalie should be.

Tom Wilson is a beast.

Carlson and Orlov just dont fit for whatever reason, but who do you break up? Dillon-Schultz and Chara-Jensen all look to have good chemistry together.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
It looks pretty borderline. I probably wouldn't call it a distinct kicking motion.
No distinct kicking motion. It's within the rule book to redirect the puck towards the goal with your skate. I would like to do a strong distinct kicking motion at Samsonov for how dumb of a goalie he was on that play!

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
1st goal was literally kicked
nA7Gvkk.gif

o7ZXDTl.gif

I commend the video gifs, but no distinct kicking motion as the Pens player just pivoted his skate blade to redirect the puck towards the net. Any chance you have some gifs of the Pens 2nd goal that had a long review? Still is a mystery to me that is was a goal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad