Post-Game Talk: Sunday Matinee: Caps @ Pens | 1/17/21 | High Noon ET | NBC4

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
how many hockey players alive lead the playoffs in points and win it all... get back to me

There's one every season. Kuzy's cup run is both old news and a creator of expectations. Are you saying he is or he isnt that good? Was he playing over his head that season or is he capable but not producing it?

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
There's one every season. Kuzy's cup run is both old news and a creator of expectations. Are you saying he is or he isnt that good? Was he playing over his head that season or is he capable but not producing it?

Likewise, did we get lucky that Kuzy's career year was also the year we were deep enough and committed enough to go deep in the playoffs? Or did winning the Stanley Cup take the pressure off Kuzy to the effect his regular season performance is worse now than had he not won the Cup?

Or is he just so effortlessly good he doesn't even need to show it by putting up points or winning games and such...

Not about trading Kuzy, but this team will drift as long as he does, while the core doesn't have nearly as much time left as he personally does to perform like an elite competitive team again.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Coaches are coaches, not Shaman.

I don’t think a single NHL coach would say Holtby has fallen off due to absence of coaching from Korn, just my opinion.

I have to strongly disagree with you. Holtby specifically said he chose to sign with the Canucks because their goalie coach, Ian Clarke, is considered one of the best in business. Clarke is up there with Mitch Korn. I think the Oilers were going to offer Holtby a bit more money, maybe even an extra year, but he smartly made the right choice. Some goalies are quirky with who their goalie coach is and some are not. Holtby is one that is.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I have to strongly disagree with you. Holtby specifically said he chose to sign with the Canucks because their goalie coach, Ian Clarke, is considered one of the best in business. Clarke is up there with Mitch Korn. I think the Oilers were going to offer Holtby a bit more money, maybe even an extra year, but he smartly made the right choice. Some goalies are quirky with who their goalie coach is and some are not. Holtby is one that is.

lol ok....agree to disagree. When Holtby rebounds to all star form, maybe you’re onto something.

so far he’s 1-1, .903 (23rd in the NHL), 3.01 (17th).

Other than that, sure, when you’re choosing a new job, probably a good idea to like the boss you’re working with most directly, maybe even say nice things about him and the organization when you’re coming in.

Last edited:

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
If Holtby suddenly improves get back to me. I think he is simply aging, and we know Sammy has growing up issues to tackle, so there’s that.

Simple coincidence IMO. It’s on the two players not some magical coach.

Personally, I think it’s time to let go of the Korn crutch.

Holtby has improved already. He looks like he's enjoying the game again(He does have familiar teammates in Schmidt and Beagle) compared to what I saw his last 3 regular seasons with us. I have watched his 2 starts with the Canucks. He's played well. It's his team that needs to adjust to his playing style. Team defense wise, the Canucks still have a habit of leaving their goalies out to dry.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Holtby has improved already. He looks like he's enjoying the game again(He does have familiar teammates in Schmidt and Beagle) compared to what I saw his last 3 regular seasons with us. I have watched his 2 starts with the Canucks. He's played well. It's his team that needs to adjust to his playing style. Team defense wise, the Canucks still have a habit of leaving their goalies out to dry.

You’re trying to justify his average performance so far. I get it, I was a huge fan of 70 also. I saw game one and saw the same guy that last played for us. I didn’t see his second.

lets revisit Holtby at the halfway point of the season and see where he ranks in the NHL among his peers and if he’s dramatically improved.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
lol ok....agree to disagree. When Holtby rebounds to all star form, maybe you’re onto something.

so far he’s 1-1, .903, 3.01.

Other than that, sure, when you’re choosing a new job, probably a good idea to like the boss you’re working with most directly, maybe even say nice things about him and the organization when you’re coming in.

Have you watched him play or are you just judging based on his stats? In his 2nd start against the Flames, all 3 goals scored on him were when the Canucks were on the PK. Canucks PK has not been good enough. By the way, his SV% is .909 not .903! Going with the Eye Test, Holtby is already playing better again than he did with the Caps last season.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Have you watched him play or are you just judging based on his stats? In his 2nd start against the Flames, all 3 goals scored on him were when the Canucks were on the PK. Canucks PK has not been good enough. By the way, his SV% is .909 not .903! Going with the Eye Test, Holtby is already playing better again than he did with the Caps last season.

see previous post. Ok .909, misread but still 23rd.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

so far he’s 1-1, .903 (23rd in the NHL), 3.01 (17th).

The thing is that it still wouldn't prove the point about Korn or goalie coaching. You can like a guy and be wrong, this isn't a controlled experiment.

I think there are coaches, like Korn, who are more capable of identifying flaws in a goaltender's play and compartmentalizing how to improve that element without breaking them. One of the hallmarks of Korn's tenure was his unique drills and scenarios, the way he could get a goaltender to refocus on the right parts of things and discard the changes he was making that were more like byproducts or symptoms. We've seen it over numerous teams, with numerous goaltenders, to the point of pushing Vezina quality results. Korn takes the hands off role in Washington and Holtby slips, needs Korn back to refocus his game (and sees results). It is very clearly him, at least to some significant degree.

It's not outlandish to say that goaltending coaches matter a lot, because it's a talent to see what actually needs fixing and avoid getting into Adam Oates territory with your starting goaltender.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Never once said it’s outlandish to says coaches matter, it’s the constant discussion that all the goalie problems trace back to the loss of Korn. I think the players shoulder the bulk of the responsibility for their performance is all, instead of skapegoating the current coaching staff.

there’s nothing to suggest the current guy isn’t perfectly capable is there?

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Never once said it’s outlandish to says coaches matter, it’s the constant discussion that all the goalie problems trace back to the loss of Korn. I think the players shoulder the bulk of the responsibility for their performance is all, instead of skapegoating the current coaching staff.

there’s nothing to suggest the current guy isn’t perfectly capable is there?
The question is what defines a goalie's "problem". If you're expecting them to hit Korn's hands-on performance levels, you need to supplement that with another really high quality goalie coach.

Like, Samsonov doesn't have an excuse because he's never known any different, but asking Holtby to just internalize Korn's outside perspective and hold on to it and reach those same heights without him was always a lofty hope. I really think Korn's greatest strength is his ability to identify the root cause of a goaltender's problems instead of fixing endless symptoms, but it requires constant adjustment from his eyes because the more a goaltender is left alone or coached by someone less capable the more they focus on the symptoms and can lose the center that makes up their peak performance.

Reactions: SherVaughn30

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The question is what defines a goalie's "problem". If you're expecting them to hit Korn's hands-on performance levels, you need to supplement that with another really high quality goalie coach.

Like, Samsonov doesn't have an excuse because he's never known any different, but asking Holtby to just internalize Korn's outside perspective and hold on to it and reach those same heights without him was always a lofty hope. I really think Korn's greatest strength is his ability to identify the root cause of a goaltender's problems instead of fixing endless symptoms, but it requires constant adjustment from his eyes because the more a goaltender is left alone or coached by someone less capable the more they focus on the symptoms and can lose the center that makes up their peak performance.

do you think Holtby regresses his last 3 years if Korn was still here? I kinda do.

Reactions: Bieronymus Trotz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->