Post-Game Talk: Sunday Matinee: Caps @ Pens | 1/17/21 | High Noon ET | NBC4

Discussion in 'Washington Capitals' started by AlexBrovechkin8, Jan 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hivemind We're Touched

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000

2. AussieCapsFan Registered User Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Tech Consultant
    But you can't do that once in your career and then just coast, which is what he's done ever since.....

3. txpd Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Photographer
    There's one every season. Kuzy's cup run is both old news and a creator of expectations. Are you saying he is or he isnt that good? Was he playing over his head that season or is he capable but not producing it?

4. HecticGlow Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Likewise, did we get lucky that Kuzy's career year was also the year we were deep enough and committed enough to go deep in the playoffs? Or did winning the Stanley Cup take the pressure off Kuzy to the effect his regular season performance is worse now than had he not won the Cup?

Or is he just so effortlessly good he doesn't even need to show it by putting up points or winning games and such...

Not about trading Kuzy, but this team will drift as long as he does, while the core doesn't have nearly as much time left as he personally does to perform like an elite competitive team again.

txpd and AussieCapsFan like this.
  5. SherVaughn30 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I have to strongly disagree with you. Holtby specifically said he chose to sign with the Canucks because their goalie coach, Ian Clarke, is considered one of the best in business. Clarke is up there with Mitch Korn. I think the Oilers were going to offer Holtby a bit more money, maybe even an extra year, but he smartly made the right choice. Some goalies are quirky with who their goalie coach is and some are not. Holtby is one that is.

6. CapitalsCupReality It’s Go Time!!

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Devil’s Advocate, Caller of BS
    lol ok....agree to disagree. When Holtby rebounds to all star form, maybe you’re onto something.

so far he’s 1-1, .903 (23rd in the NHL), 3.01 (17th).

Other than that, sure, when you’re choosing a new job, probably a good idea to like the boss you’re working with most directly, maybe even say nice things about him and the organization when you’re coming in.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  7. SherVaughn30 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Holtby has improved already. He looks like he's enjoying the game again(He does have familiar teammates in Schmidt and Beagle) compared to what I saw his last 3 regular seasons with us. I have watched his 2 starts with the Canucks. He's played well. It's his team that needs to adjust to his playing style. Team defense wise, the Canucks still have a habit of leaving their goalies out to dry.

8. CapitalsCupReality It’s Go Time!!

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    You’re trying to justify his average performance so far. I get it, I was a huge fan of 70 also. I saw game one and saw the same guy that last played for us. I didn’t see his second.

lets revisit Holtby at the halfway point of the season and see where he ranks in the NHL among his peers and if he’s dramatically improved.

9. SherVaughn30 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Have you watched him play or are you just judging based on his stats? In his 2nd start against the Flames, all 3 goals scored on him were when the Canucks were on the PK. Canucks PK has not been good enough. By the way, his SV% is .909 not .903! Going with the Eye Test, Holtby is already playing better again than he did with the Caps last season.

10. CapitalsCupReality It’s Go Time!!

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    see previous post. Ok .909, misread but still 23rd.

11. HTFN Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    The thing is that it still wouldn't prove the point about Korn or goalie coaching. You can like a guy and be wrong, this isn't a controlled experiment.

I think there are coaches, like Korn, who are more capable of identifying flaws in a goaltender's play and compartmentalizing how to improve that element without breaking them. One of the hallmarks of Korn's tenure was his unique drills and scenarios, the way he could get a goaltender to refocus on the right parts of things and discard the changes he was making that were more like byproducts or symptoms. We've seen it over numerous teams, with numerous goaltenders, to the point of pushing Vezina quality results. Korn takes the hands off role in Washington and Holtby slips, needs Korn back to refocus his game (and sees results). It is very clearly him, at least to some significant degree.

It's not outlandish to say that goaltending coaches matter a lot, because it's a talent to see what actually needs fixing and avoid getting into Adam Oates territory with your starting goaltender.

12. CapitalsCupReality It’s Go Time!!

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Never once said it’s outlandish to says coaches matter, it’s the constant discussion that all the goalie problems trace back to the loss of Korn. I think the players shoulder the bulk of the responsibility for their performance is all, instead of skapegoating the current coaching staff.

there’s nothing to suggest the current guy isn’t perfectly capable is there?

13. HTFN Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    The question is what defines a goalie's "problem". If you're expecting them to hit Korn's hands-on performance levels, you need to supplement that with another really high quality goalie coach.

Like, Samsonov doesn't have an excuse because he's never known any different, but asking Holtby to just internalize Korn's outside perspective and hold on to it and reach those same heights without him was always a lofty hope. I really think Korn's greatest strength is his ability to identify the root cause of a goaltender's problems instead of fixing endless symptoms, but it requires constant adjustment from his eyes because the more a goaltender is left alone or coached by someone less capable the more they focus on the symptoms and can lose the center that makes up their peak performance.

SherVaughn30 likes this.
  14. CapitalsCupReality It’s Go Time!!

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    do you think Holtby regresses his last 3 years if Korn was still here? I kinda do.

Bieronymus Trotz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.