Transfer: Summer Transfers part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He's good in the air, but I think he's too short to play CB regularly as he's only 5'10, 5'11. Much better CM.

It'll be interesting to see how Schalke does in the UCL this season. I'm not sure their style last season was conducive to doing well in the UCL, and I don't think they've gotten any better in the summer. They probably gotten worse. I could see them going out in the group stage and also missing the top 4.
I think that CM is a position US could lose a little bit of depth and be fine. They have no wingers though or outside backs.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think that CM is a position US could lose a little bit of depth and be fine. They have no wingers though or outside backs.

The positions I'm worried about for the upcoming cycle or two are keeper and CAM.

We have no starting keepers anywhere under 23 years old. Its not that big of an issue because Steffen could easily hold the position for 10 years, but there's not much visible depth behind him at the pro level. The depth is fine within the region, but its nowhere near what we've had in the past at the position when a guy like Howard wasn't even the #3 at Steffen's age. Steffen has been thrust into the starting role pretty immediately.

And its worrying how few CAM's we are producing. The teams we were putting out there in the recent friendlies shows the problem with how we were starting McKennie and Adams in front of Trapp. There's no CAM there. None who deserved to start either. When Green is your best CAM in the 20-30 age group, you are in big trouble. He's barely even starting in 2. Bundesliga. I don't think there are any American CAM's in their 20's who start in MLS. Going to have to rely on younger players in the upcoming years. Winger is kind of similar, although I like the depth better at that position. Other than Pulisic, who is still only 19, we need a whole new crop of players in the attacking positions from what we had in qualifying. No holdovers.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Why is Martial inconsistent? Why is Mata looking past it? Why do you think Herrera just plays "decent" while he's very good?

I know I'm a couple of days late with the answer here, was away, but anyway....

From watching them play mostly. Doesn't it tell you anything that neither of those three is anywhere close to a fixture in the starting 11 in this Utd side?
These guys are "squad" players on this team, and it's not like the starting 11 players they are up against are exactly world class.

Of course, it's easier to just pile everything on Mou and say it's all his fault.
But for me, the truth in United's case is different. Since Fergie left, they've been binge buying mediocre players and "okay" players.
Whether his spending has been prudent and wise is another matter, but the roster itself is mediocre (again, speaking for a club that traditionally wants to fights for all titles).
Obviously, not speaking of Pogba or Lukaku here.

Ander Herrera is not world class and cannot be compared to the midfielders that contenders in England and Europe have.
Same for Mata, same for Lingard, same for Martial, in their own positions. Same for Lindelof/Smalling/Rojo/Jones, same for Young, same for Valencia etc etc.
It goes on and on.

Pogba, Lukaku, Sanchez, Matic. Those are the players I would label world class on Utd's roster (and that's with Sanchez playing some pretty bad football since he joined btw).
That's it.

Fred? Maybe. You cannot judge a player in his position on one game, but he was pretty bad vs Leicester.
I assume there's a player there, but I'm not sold on him yet.
Bailly has potential, but the injuries last year took their toll, he didn't have a good season.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
What has Loftus Cheek exactly done to be rated higher than Bakayoko?
I'm not talking about achievement.

But okay I'll bite Loftus Cheek has had a very good season with Crystal Palace last year which helped get a place with the national team (and impressing there too). Meanwhile Bakayoko has suffered huge consistency issue. He was not good enough last year with Chelsea (unfair?maybe) and (might) be sold at a loss to AC Milan.

Bakayoko is more highly rated in the football world because of his past achievements but I just wanted an opinion from a Chelsea perspective about them.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
He had a superb season on that fantastic Monaco team.

Rating Loftus-Cheek higher than him would be like me rating Malcom higher than Ousmane Dembele after Dembele having an off season last year.

Just my opinion though.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Dembele is way more highly rated than Bakayoko ever was.

Don't get me wrong I was a huge fan of the Monaco team that surprised the football world and the player IMO that favoured the most from that run is Bakayoko. He was good but clearly more a passenger than the main guy. He is a very good player with good physical tools but he is(and still) raw in term of football. I always question his football IQ when I watch him play. He also has very average touch. I know some people on this board really like him but personally I find him very average.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Bakayoko is just a terrible fit for Sarri, and RLC fits better stylistically. Bakayoko could've worked with a Mourinho or Conte after some improvements, but he'll never be able to play Sarri-ball IMO.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
He had a superb season on that fantastic Monaco team.

Rating Loftus-Cheek higher than him would be like me rating Malcom higher than Ousmane Dembele after Dembele having an off season last year.

Just my opinion though.
I mean, he had a good season but it was one season and as others have said there were many other better players from that team. I just think it's weird to write off a preference for another young player when it's not like Bakayoko is some proven elite player either. Not sure that Dembele is the best analogy since he had multiple great seasons as a very young player and has very obvious talents.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I don't think RLC should be rated higher than Bakayoko right now, but it's obvious Chelsea see him as the better fit for the team going forward. RLC has a very good season with Palace and should be decent for Chelsea this year. I'm not sure Bakayoko can play the quick touches and runs style Sarri wants them to play.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Can RLC play that game?
It suits his style more, he has a better touch than Bakayoko, and is generally more of an offensive type player. We'll have to see how he develops in it though. Could have a tough time finding minutes with Kovacic and Barkley ahead of him, but hopefully he proves himself in Europa.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Can RLC play that game?
Remains to be seen. I think he's agile enough to do it and has the skill, but who knows. From what we saw last year I don't think Bakayoko can at all as he seemed at his best in more direct plays.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I know I'm a couple of days late with the answer here, was away, but anyway....

From watching them play mostly. Doesn't it tell you anything that neither of those three is anywhere close to a fixture in the starting 11 in this Utd side?
These guys are "squad" players on this team, and it's not like the starting 11 players they are up against are exactly world class.

Of course, it's easier to just pile everything on Mou and say it's all his fault.
But for me, the truth in United's case is different. Since Fergie left, they've been binge buying mediocre players and "okay" players.
Whether his spending has been prudent and wise is another matter, but the roster itself is mediocre (again, speaking for a club that traditionally wants to fights for all titles).
Obviously, not speaking of Pogba or Lukaku here.

Ander Herrera is not world class and cannot be compared to the midfielders that contenders in England and Europe have.
Same for Mata, same for Lingard, same for Martial, in their own positions. Same for Lindelof/Smalling/Rojo/Jones, same for Young, same for Valencia etc etc.
It goes on and on.

Pogba, Lukaku, Sanchez, Matic. Those are the players I would label world class on Utd's roster (and that's with Sanchez playing some pretty bad football since he joined btw).
That's it.

Fred? Maybe. You cannot judge a player in his position on one game, but he was pretty bad vs Leicester.
I assume there's a player there, but I'm not sold on him yet.
Bailly has potential, but the injuries last year took their toll, he didn't have a good season.
You don't have to get a WC player on every position.
That's not how it works. You need to get your good players to perform as well.

It's beyond easy to pin it on the players while Mou has done it with his last 3 teams.
Meanwhile Mata was among the best EPL players for stretches without Mou, Martial was key in Monaco's run in the CL, Pogba had dominant stretches for Juve, Herrera was one of the most consistent young midfielders, etc....

United's team is loaded up front and in certain areas of midfield. They're weak at the back but have one of the best goalies around.

Mou is making that team play like a boring defensive team even though he has the means to play offensive football. Just like with Real.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Dembele is way more highly rated than Bakayoko ever was.

Don't get me wrong I was a huge fan of the Monaco team that surprised the football world and the player IMO that favoured the most from that run is Bakayoko. He was good but clearly more a passenger than the main guy. He is a very good player with good physical tools but he is(and still) raw in term of football. I always question his football IQ when I watch him play. He also has very average touch. I know some people on this board really like him but personally I find him very average.
You won't find a single Monaco fan that will tell you Bakayoko was a passenger. He was immense that season.

Someone who said he didn't have a history of greatness would have died of his first orgasm if he had Bakayoko play like he did for his Liverpool team.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Samu Castillejo to Milan for Bacca + cash. Another Leonardo masterclass dumping Bacca's high wages and getting back a very useful player that will push Calhanoglu back to the midfield.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Samu Castillejo to Milan for Bacca + cash. Another Leonardo masterclass dumping Bacca's high wages and getting back a very useful player that will push Calhanoglu back to the midfield.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they would've preferred selling Bacca clean and finding a winger on a loan with an option (not obligation) , but I highly doubt Bacca had much of a market, and Milan desperately needed outside attackers.

This move, at least for now, has to be considered a win for Milan. Crazy what Leonardo has done in such a short amount of time with an extremely limited/restricted budget.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
OM was likely interested in Bacca -they can't seem to close out the Balotelli deal- but his wages are way too high.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
You won't find a single Monaco fan that will tell you Bakayoko was a passenger. He was immense that season.

Someone who said he didn't have a history of greatness would have died of his first orgasm if he had Bakayoko play like he did for his Liverpool team.
I knew you were going to come in.

I respectfully disagree. Bakayoko indeed showed lots of promise. 21 years old, box to box, physical, great dribbler. Everything you would want from a top midfielder except he is not able to control the midfield and dictacte the play with his passing like a Tolisso or with his physical abilities like a Pogba.

I always felt he was just a physical specimen that happen to be good at football. I just don't see the smart. I know we always come to the same conclusion. You love Bakayoko and I find him very average.

I will exclude Liverpool out of the equation because he never played and most likely will never play for them. But from what I've seen from his stint at Chelsea did not help my view of him. Same inconsistency, not able to dictate the game and that is with him playing with the best defensive midfielder in the game (Kante). I guess he will have another chance to prove myself wrong in italia soon. It will be interesting to see how his game evolves there.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Bakayoko came to Chelsea nursing an injury and was never able to settle in. He was never gonna be a creative lynchpin or metronome, he was gonna be a powerhouse box-to-box. The hope wasn't that he'd dictate control of the game, it was that he'd boss opposing midfields Michael Essien-style. He struggled to get into a rhythm, but he showed serious signs of promise as the season went on. I wish we had more patience with him, and I hope he comes back next year.

Reactions: Evilo

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Milan will trigger the clause even if only to sell him somewhere else. Unless in fact he really is completely terrible, but I suspect that isn't the case.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
OM was likely interested in Bacca -they can't seem to close out the Balotelli deal- but his wages are way too high.

Ugh... Mario..

Sure, he may get you 20 goals- but at what cost? Sometimes the talent just isn't worth the trouble.

I know he's been on a redemption tour in France , but I still wouldn't feel comfortable giving him a big contract if I were OM. Not at all.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah if Salah had half as good a season as Bakayoko once had I would be raving about him instead of downplaying his greatness.

Reactions: All Might
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad