Transfer: Summer Transfer Window Rumors part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
My other buddy who is the biggest Argentina national team supporter I know -
For the same reasons I think it would be a bit of a petulant move for him to quit Barcelona at this point. If this is a power move to get Bart sacked and he stays that's fine, but he's won everything there is to win minus a World Cup, he's being paid a ridiculous amount and has more money than he knows what to do with, he's a club legend and adored by everyone...why not stay on to help Barcelona transition into its next phase? It looks especially petulant, IMO, that it comes on the back of such a bad beating from Bayern and a few years of really bad showings in the CL (first Roma, then Liverpool, now this).

He's welcome to do whatever he wants and doesn't really owe anyone anything, but not even getting a fee for Barca and going in this fashion would leave a sour taste in my mouth were I a Barca fan, regardless of Bart or anyone else.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Two thoughts.
I’m not sure who can pay his wages. Looking at some of the comments of what he’s getting, and the fact that he owns his image rights, there’s only one or two clubs who can do that, at least without paying under the table. I’m sure two or three clubs would be willing to do that.
Secondly, I think this is the power play by Messi. He might want to go, but I think he’d stay if they did what he wanted or the options to go weren’t what he wants. If I’m Barca, maybe it’s time to rip that bandage. For one thing, it would free up a lot of money going forward. It’s really tough, but with an unhappy Messi are they competing next year?

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
How do you guys expect this to shake down? Does he stay? Does he go to city? MLS ? Napoli or inter? Chelsea? Back to argentina?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I watched a terrible editorial on ESPNFC by some English commentator stating that Messi HAD to go to the EPL in order to prove his greatness - because Ronaldo had already done so.

The fact that Cristiano did so as a teenager and we’d be asking Messi to play in the notoriously athletic league in his early to mid 30s appeared to escape him.

He has another five years or so before he has to go to the MLS and earn a bunch of money kicking the ball around in Miami.

I’d think Serie A would be the best fit at this point.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
No mls no chelsea no inter no napoli no argentina

Well first off Napoli and Inter can't afford Messi.

that’s what I was thinking. I really don’t know what team I can see him going to?

city is stacked on wingers, Chelsea has already spent a boatload of money on offence, mls and Argentina are out of the question. Psg I suppose but then again idk how that’ll work. Bayern showed they don’t need him. He’s not going to any other laliga team. I don’t see a fit in Juventus.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I watched a terrible editorial on ESPNFC by some English commentator stating that Messi HAD to go to the EPL in order to prove his greatness - because Ronaldo had already done so.

The fact that Cristiano did so as a teenager and we’d be asking Messi to play in the notoriously athletic league in his early to mid 30s appeared to escape him.

He has another five years or so before he has to go to the MLS and earn a bunch of money kicking the ball around in Miami.

I’d think Serie A would be the best fit at this point.
Ronaldo proved he could do it on a rainy night in Stoke, Messi hasn't.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
that’s what I was thinking. I really don’t know what team I can see him going to?

city is stacked on wingers, Chelsea has already spent a boatload of money on offence, mls and Argentina are out of the question. Psg I suppose but then again idk how that’ll work. Bayern showed they don’t need him. He’s not going to any other laliga team. I don’t see a fit in Juventus.
He's either staying at Barca post Bart resignation most likely imo. But if he moves the only 3 teams that could afford him would be PSG, City, and maybe United.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I really think PSG, City or maybe a dark horse like Bayern/Juve are the only financially viable options. I guess United, but I’m not sure he would want to go somewhere that isn’t close to set

it’s about money for me. He’s not taking a major pay cut to go just go play somewhere. He’s still gonna get bank

Reactions: Mitch nylander

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He's leaving to go win CL...that rules out most teams. Juve lol they have Ronaldo it will never happen. It's either City or staying at barca which is less likely.

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
I was going to say, it's too bad Stoke isn't in the PL now...lol.

He should prove he can do what Cruyff couldn't, go with Suarez to Ajax and win a CL with both clubs :D

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Well thats sorted then. I fully expect Messi to stay now which was probably the plan all along.
Only problem is that apparantely the meeting with Koeman did not go well.
And sacking him a week into the job would be a bit weird.

But Messi just showed tonight who owns the club. He probably should have done it sooner. The biggest issue I have is that he only did it once it was clear his amigos were out of the door. Puts him in a bad light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad