Status
Not open for further replies.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Yes I agree.
Only one this though it's Mbappe who cornered himself PR wise by saying he wanted a better team.
Now he has it and would look like a fool to ask out.
He will be the bad guy if he leaves now or next summer for that exact reason.

Oh, he did. But they are using the leverage HE gave them and are winning the PR battle as a result.

I really do not understand what Mbappé's end game is. If you want out, ask out. If you want to stay, re-sign. If you want to reassess after the season, say so. Be firm about something and squash the rumors. I do not understand what being vague is doing for him... unless he REALLY does not know what he wants to do. That's possible, but unlikely IMO.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Also sounding like Arsenal is about to increase their effort in signing Maddison. Odegaard remains an option if Maddison falls through.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Also sounding like Arsenal is about to increase their effort in signing Maddison. Odegaard remains an option if Maddison falls through.
Is Maddison better than Ødegaard? I’m not sure. He’s got way better ball striking and goal threat but is a worse creative player with much worse vision. That’s probably a slightly better fit for our needs I guess. Ødegaard is a much more talented footballer however.

Reactions: S E P H

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Is Maddison better than Ødegaard? I’m not sure. He’s got way better ball striking and goal threat but is a worse creative player with much worse vision. That’s probably a slightly better fit for our needs I guess. Ødegaard is a much more talented footballer however.
Here is a side-by-side comparison of the two. I would be happy with Maddison just based on his success in the premier league to this date. He has been more consistent over a longer time.

Comparison;
Player Comparison: James Maddison vs. Martin Ødegaard | FBref.com

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Chelsea two strikers out and one in...they need another one don't they for injuries? A cheap older type or something at least?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Chelsea two strikers out and one in...they need another one don't they for injuries? A cheap older type or something at least?
I could see it going either way. Lukaku/Havertz/Werner and then even a false 9 option like a Pulisic should be enough to get through a season, but I could easily see them getting a squad type like Giroud was.

Most of the insider reports basically have it as maybe Kounde and maybe Tchouameni.

Reactions: Blender

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Where the hell does Roma have so much transfer money all of a sudden? Weren't they broke even before it was cool?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
How many strikers do Chelsea need under Tuchel?

Very very few clubs got a proper backup that actually works. It was easier in the old days I guess when you often played with two central forwards and you could rotate 3 or even 4.

Teams with one striker are rarely successful at finding a good backup. Origi worked for some weeks. And there are other examples of course, but most struggle. Especially those with a clear first choice. Even the biggest and best like RM can't even find good backups.

Not even that. You probably need to find a backup better than Werner.

A bit similar at Spurs. Since Son came to Spurs the club has never had a backup striker better than Son as a striker.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
So since nobody has said it, maybe it's ridiculous but...
I have a question.

Laporta KNEW that Tebas would reject any registration for new players, right?
He also knew he could register players already on his payroll.
Messi and him had an agreement for weeks (months?).
Yet Messi came to sign it once he was out of contract, officially a free agent and as such, impossible to register.

My question is : did Laporta REALLY ignore the issue? Or did he do it on purpose to blame others but he had fully planned to see Messi go? Or one might say it was Messi's crew who made him wait (but frankly I think Messi wanted to return).

I don't think it's a ridiculous question at all and it's more than fair to ask. I've given the idea that Laporta didn't want to pay Messi 50 million a year for two more years some thought as well. In fact some of his comments make it seem they just couldn't afford him aside from just trying to fit him in. That's not to say he didn't want Messi but rather didn't think it was the best decision financially.

I guess the answer is we don't know. For me the points to consider are as follows:
  • How much of the "rule" did they know or not know and why weren't they completely versed on it in short order once they understood the potential ramifications?
  • What did the books tell them about the finances pre-audit?
  • When was and audit undertaken and when was it completed?
  • With regards to registering players still on the payroll, how does that pertain to players signing a renewal/extension while they're still on the books even if it the new contract takes the payroll over the allotted budget? Very important question if you ask me.
  • I too think Messi wanted to return, but why was their a delay? Messi on vacation? Messi at the Copa? Laporta wanted to wait?
For me it doesn't look good pending the answers to some of the above especially considering the part about players already on the payroll. To that point it sounds as though they could register over the allotted budget if they were already on the payroll, so why not agree a new deal while he's still on the books?

One final point of consideration with regards to Laporta, he could have possibly dragged this out by telling the Messis they needed more time, but he was very explicit in their being a deadline giving Messi time to do what was right for him. EDIT: Also, whether Laporta is honest or not is debatable, but he doesn't seem to hide from tough decisions and no matter how he spun this assuming he did he must have known he'd be at least in part in the firing line. A lot of "tough" decisions and stances have been made while Laporta has been President if you look at the past.

I'm still struggling with how they weren't able to make this work, especially if they can terminate some contracts as they apparently can with Umtiti if reports are correct. That said a lot of other players you'd like to see go wouldn't be eligible to have their contracts terminated, but you still could have had the agreements with the senior homegrown players in place and I still think they could have worked harder to offload players. Not to pick on him, but do you make Griezmann to Atleti happen? Even if it means a free transfer? While I think another deal could have been made, the answer would still be "yes" if that's what it came to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I don't think it's a ridiculous question at all and it's more than fair to ask. I've given the idea that Laporta didn't want to pay Messi 50 million a year for two more years some thought as well. In fact some of his comments make it seem they just couldn't afford him aside from just trying to fit him in. That's not to say he didn't want Messi but rather didn't think it was the best decision financially.

I guess the answer is we don't know. For me the points to consider are as follows:
  • How much of the "rule" did they know or not know and why weren't they completely versed on it in short order once they understood the potential ramifications?
  • What did the books tell them about the finances pre-audit?
  • When was and audit undertaken and when was it completed?
  • With regards to registering players still on the payroll, how does that pertain to players signing a renewal/extension while they're still on the books even if it the new contract takes the payroll over the allotted budget? Very important question if you ask me.
  • I too think Messi wanted to return, but why was their a delay? Messi on vacation? Messi at the Copa? Laporta wanted to wait?
For me it doesn't look good pending the answers to some of the above especially considering the part about players already on the payroll. To that point it sounds as though they could register over the allotted budget if they were already on the payroll, so why not agree a new deal while he's still on the books?

One final point of consideration with regards to Laporta, he could have possibly dragged this out by telling the Messis they needed more time, but he was very explicit in their being a deadline giving Messi time to do what was right for him. EDIT: Also, whether Laporta is honest or not is debatable, but he doesn't seem to hide from tough decisions and no matter how he spun this assuming he did he must have known he'd be at least in part in the firing line. A lot of "tough" decisions and stances have been made while Laporta has been President if you look at the past.

I'm still struggling with how they weren't able to make this work, especially if they can terminate some contracts as they apparently can with Umtiti if reports are correct. That said a lot of other players you'd like to see go wouldn't be eligible to have their contracts terminated, but you still could have had the agreements with the senior homegrown players in place and I still think they could have worked harder to offload players. Not to pick on him, but do you make Griezmann to Atleti happen? Even if it means a free transfer? While I think another deal could have been made, the answer would still be "yes" if that's what it came to.
Further more Laporta ran his whole election on keeping Lio. Plenty of blame to go around as I continuously say

Reactions: luiginb

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Barca should brace themselves for the possibility of having to wait these contracts out. Greizzy makes 45 million which I was reminded today. That's totally unacceptable. Hope he has another decent year and offload him for what ever.

I read 32 million, which is why I'd love to see some consistency in wages and why I always ask when people post wages. Either way it's WAY too much for Griezmann.

With regards to waiting them out, per @TheLeastOfTheBunch 's post in the La Liga thread, it sounds like they could terminate Umtiti's contract. I saw something today that it's within the rules based on how far into the contract he is, so maybe they could go that route with other players in the next year or two assuming it's a possibility. To your point though, and I Laporta touched on this, it could be a rough couple of years. The good news is that both Depay and Aguero are on 2 year contracts (with room to extend I believe), so at least they didn't get tied down to them. Also though, does the coaching staff want to be rid of a Griezmann? My guess is Koeman would say "no", but that's where Laporta needs to insert himself and tell Koeman the choice isn't his.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Further more Laporta ran his whole election on keeping Lio. Plenty of blame to go around as I continuously say

Right, and something else to consider. Did he do so to get elected? Still, he'd have to know there'd be consequences for not signing Lio and there were banners at the stadium over the weekend.

Everyone is accountable here if you ask me, the Messis themselves included. That said the biggest issues were Bartomeu's management of the club and Covid.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I will just reiterate that Laporta doesn't seem to shy away from tough decisions. He also was a bit lucky if you ask me during his first tenure in being able to snag Ronaldinho and Eto'o, though in the latter case the player really wanted the move leaving Perez with little choice. So if he did say "we can't afford Messi" and took that gamble it'll be interesting to see if/how it pays off.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Thomas Delaney likely headed to Sevilla. There has been a lot of reports on this in the last week. The last reliable report I saw said an agreement over a transfer has been reached, but the fee still needs to be agreed.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Lukaku & Werner should be enough depth behind Kai. But maybe some oldie who's content never playing unless the apocalypse strikes, like Pizarro used to be, would make sense.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Thomas Delaney likely headed to Sevilla. There has been a lot of reports on this in the last week. The last reliable report I saw said an agreement over a transfer has been reached, but the fee still needs to be agreed.

They have a lot of midfielders, I don't understand this move unless they want some extra depth.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Here is a side-by-side comparison of the two. I would be happy with Maddison just based on his success in the premier league to this date. He has been more consistent over a longer time.

Comparison;
Player Comparison: James Maddison vs. Martin Ødegaard | FBref.com
Maddison isn’t as creative as I would want from open play. Smith-Rowe beat his open play assist tally last season in half of the minutes. I wouldn’t be delighted with any of them, but both of them would be pretty good. Prefer a bigger name with more match-winning ability of course. Sadly we can’t attract everyone we want under Arteta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad