Transfer: Summer Transfer Rumors and Discussion Part VI

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
[Hamstelaar] Ajax is looking at Quinten Timber (21) as the main candidate to strengthen the right-back position. Jurriën's twin brother currently plays for FC Utrecht. Current Ajax player(s) might be involved in the deal between Utrecht and Ajax.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Satisfied with Scamacca? I really don't have a ton of background on the player, to be honest. The fact that his profile so closely aligns with Haller's both scares and confuses me. That was such a dud for West Ham that I'm not sure why Moyes insisted on looking on for a player seemingly so similar. He's more mobile I guess, which is good. Either way, it had literally been three years since West Ham signed a striker and there was no way they could go with just Antonio again, both because his finishing isn't good enough and he's got swiss cheese hamstrings that can go at any time.

As for the window, if the preseason is any indication, they need a lot more than they've gotten. The only signings have been Nayef Aguerd (who is *already* injured and likely out a few months) and Flynn Downes, who's a CM that will be third choice behind Rice/Soucek. The attack looks stale - not enough pace, too slow to make decisions with the ball at their feet. Truth be told, their form was not good second half of last season and it's looked like a continuation of that so far.

We'll see, but I could see a step back this season - even though I think Bowen is primed for even another step forward.
To be fair, you haven't lost much either.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
We bought Sarr for the same stupid reason for why we extended the contracts of players we sent on loan. Sarr was only purchased because he was a free agent that we hoped to eventually flip for some decent fee. I don't believe you for a second that you'd take Sarr over some of these other backups.

I didn't say you can't finish top 4, but you are playing with fire, especially when you have someone as old as Silva back there. You are one injury away from potentially having a backline that can be torn apart by top sides if Colwill proves he's not ready.
Liverpool got third with Rhys Williams and Nat Phillips. Neither of which are as good as Sarr or Colwill do I’m not exactly sympathetic here. Also not sympathetic if you are not trying to develop guys that you bought. Think you are being very negative about your own guys.
In case it wasn't obvious that Savant has no idea what he's talking about, it's worth emphasizing that Mukiele (a RB/RCB) and Colwill (a LCB/LB) would not be in contention for the same spots
I think in a back three this matters less. Both would be playing CB, so it’s a bit disingenuous to suggest Mukiele is being considered because he can play RB too. Mukiele is being considered because Kounde doesn’t want to go. Do you know who else primarily plays RCB? Koulibaly.

This is a silly argument.
Why is this a silly argument? Chelsea went out of their way to sign Sarr, they need CBs and they won’t use him? I think buying Sarr in the first place is silly. He might not be great but he is better than the vast majority of 4th/5th choice CBs in the league. I think it’s silly to say we bought this guy and have no plan for him because we will sell anyway.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Liverpool got third with Rhys Williams and Nat Phillips. Neither of which are as good as Sarr or Colwill do I’m not exactly sympathetic here. Also not sympathetic if you are not trying to develop guys that you bought. Think you are being very negative about your own guys.

I think in a back three this matters less. Both would be playing CB, so it’s a bit disingenuous to suggest Mukiele is being considered because he can play RB too. Mukiele is being considered because Kounde doesn’t want to go. Do you know who else primarily plays RCB? Koulibaly.

Why is this a silly argument? Chelsea went out of their way to sign Sarr, they need CBs and they won’t use him? I think buying Sarr in the first place is silly. He might not be great but he is better than the vast majority of 4th/5th choice CBs in the league. I think it’s silly to say we bought this guy and have no plan for him because we will sell anyway.
Williams and Phillips combined for ~2k minutes in EPL matches that season. Last season our 4th and 5th CBs would have combined for almost 3k minutes of EPL matches. Chalobah and Sarr would have combined for 2k minutes, and they were 5th and 6th, which is what we are saying we'd be fine with. Chalobah can have a bump up in minutes, and Colwill takes his spot on the depth chart, and Sarr remains as a purely emergency option.

This is the problem we have with you, deep down you know you agree with the argument that Colwill and Sarr should be the 5th and 6th options on a team that is going to play a back 3, with the assumption that those ahead of Colwill aren't going to block his long-term path to a starting spot. This is the exact situation we are attempting to have.

And on Mukiele, it's obvious why he and Kounde were being targeted, they can provide cover for James if need be. They would be the Azpilicueta replacement.

Reactions: Blender and Peen

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Williams and Phillips combined for ~2k minutes in EPL matches that season. Last season our 4th and 5th CBs would have combined for almost 3k minutes of EPL matches. Chalobah and Sarr would have combined for 2k minutes, and they were 5th and 6th, which is what we are saying we'd be fine with. Chalobah can have a bump up in minutes, and Colwill takes his spot on the depth chart, and Sarr remains as a purely emergency option.

This is the problem we have with you, deep down you know you agree with the argument that Colwill and Sarr should be the 5th and 6th options on a team that is going to play a back 3, with the assumption that those ahead of Colwill aren't going to block his long-term path to a starting spot. This is the exact situation we are attempting to have.

And on Mukiele, it's obvious why he and Kounde were being targeted, they can provide cover for James if need be. They would be the Azpilicueta replacement.
I’m saying Colwill and Sarr are more qualified than Williams and Phillips. Tottenham also play three at the back and I am taking those guys over guys like Rodon and Tanganga (and honestly Lenglet) who will be in similar spots in the depth chart. I don’t think either Sarr or Colwill is undeserving of those minutes. Of course you can upgrade but I think it’s dumb to show a Colwill especially that you are fine to bury him.

Covering James is a nice bonus, but that’s not the primary driver of why they are going after those guys. Tuchel has been talking about playing more four at the back for a while. If it looks lousy he probably isn’t doing a good job. But again I don’t think I’m making anything up here. If I was a too young player and my team was spending 50m to put guys in front of me I’d want to leave.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Colwill isn't buried if he's going to get the minutes that Chalobah received last season. And he's not blocked long-term from a starting 11 spot with Silva turning 38 soon and Koulibaly at 31.

Tuchel has just started talking about playing a back 4 and it didn't go well in pre-season. It's pretty clear the back 3 will still be our main formation.

Reactions: Blender

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Colwill isn't buried if he's going to get the minutes that Chalobah received last season. And he's not blocked long-term from a starting 11 spot with Silva turning 38 soon and Koulibaly at 31.

Tuchel has just started talking about playing a back 4 and it didn't go well in pre-season. It's pretty clear the back 3 will still be our main formation.
Maybe? But how are you going to tell him with a straight face that you aren’t going to replace Silva with another 50m defender next summer? There is slim and none things to suggest that that won’t occur. Tuchel played around with a back 4 last season too. It’s clear Tuchel wants to be able to play that as well. Not that Chelsea ever does long term planning so who knows. Tuchel might mot even be there this time next year.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Just because someone doesn’t mean you’re morally obligated to think of him a certain way once he arrives.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma

In fact they had to raise the offer, which with bonuses reaches 25. In my opinion it could be a great buy because he is young and has done very well on a D with 3 CB . I just wonder how Rennes can offer less money for Minjae first and then Igor and then spend 25 for Theate. I don't know Minjae, but I know Igor well.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Rennes were all in on Min Jae. Never hot after anyone else.
The price is 20M rest are bonuses not easy to reach.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Could mean that Rice is gone.
Next year. They’re already spending the money though, clearly. Did not predict this kind of window in terms of outlay and the fact that they spend nearly half on CMs tells me they’re trying to get a head start on at least Rice leaving, if not also Soucek.

I’ve not watched Onana, but seems like he has potential. Lille wasn’t in money issues after the Botman transfer, that seems like it pushed the price up, so West Ham must have really wanted him.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Next year. They’re already spending the money though, clearly. Did not predict this kind of window in terms of outlay and the fact that they spend nearly half on CMs tells me they’re trying to get a head start on at least Rice leaving, if not also Soucek.

I’ve not watched Onana, but seems like he has potential. Lille wasn’t in money issues after the Botman transfer, that seems like it pushed the price up, so West Ham must have really wanted him.
Supposedly Onana going to Everton…for some reason?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yeah last minute bid. EPL battle over a guy who's impressive physically has showed some promises but is very very raw. Could work out in the EPL.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Supposedly Onana going to Everton…for some reason?
Saw that. Anyone that makes that value judgment between the clubs...enjoy that tire fire young man. The rumor I saw is West Ham didn't want to meet his wages and Everton were (how, I have no idea. Aren't they still in near financial ruin?).

Maybe he didn't want to compete with Rice/Soucek in midfield, but the guy wasn't even a starter at Lille, so don't think it's that.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I know its preseason and a few days ago and probably even the wrong thread, but Real Madrid is absolutely embarrassing Juventus. It's like a globetrotters event out there...

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Saw that. Anyone that makes that value judgment between the clubs...enjoy that tire fire young man. The rumor I saw is West Ham didn't want to meet his wages and Everton were (how, I have no idea. Aren't they still in near financial ruin?).

Maybe he didn't want to compete with Rice/Soucek in midfield, but the guy wasn't even a starter at Lille, so don't think it's that.
I think they are just more desperate

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well Denayer isn't seduced to play for Torino with half the salary proposal Lyon offered and now he's considering an offer from Saudi Arabia.

Can't believe how greedy this guy was.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3