Transfer: Summer Transfer news and rumors part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
That's part of why I don't entirely believe the rumor. Gomez was one of the best CB's in the league before getting injured. Of course there's an element of too good to pass up, but that would be ridiculous unless they believe that Gomez's leg is compromised and prone to getting injured.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Well Gomez did miss a year with an ACL injury, the end of last season with an ankle injury, and another 4 months with an ankle injury this year. They could be concerned by his health and I don't blame them.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Gomez, van Dijk and de Ligt would be the main 3. They'd all get substantial time. Gomez is in the same class of prospect as de Ligt when healthy. Nothing wrong at all with having 3 defenders of that quality especially with Gomez and Matip being so injury prone (and Gomez being our deputy RB).

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
That's part of why I don't entirely believe the rumor. Gomez was one of the best CB's in the league before getting injured. Of course there's an element of too good to pass up, but that would be ridiculous unless they believe that Gomez's leg is compromised and prone to getting injured.
If he’s a actually interested, you change plans and make it work. Gomez be damned. However I think his agent or the media is using Liverpool to drive the offer from Barca

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Gomez, van Dijk and de Ligt would be the main 3. They'd all get substantial time. Gomez is in the same class of prospect as de Ligt when healthy. Nothing wrong at all with having 3 defenders of that quality especially with Gomez and Matip being so injury prone (and Gomez being our deputy RB).
Gomez is no where near the same class of prospect as de Ligt. De Ligt has the potential to be the top defender in the world. Gomez highest is maybe 10.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Gomez is no where near the same class of prospect as de Ligt. De Ligt has the potential to be the top defender in the world. Gomez highest is maybe 10.
Gomez has just as much potential as de Ligt. I've been following de Ligt since he was 15, and he's an absolutely world class prospect, but Gomez is on the same level and is just as good now. Gomez outplayed van Dijk in multiple games this season and put in MotM performances for the NT against tough opposition. I spoke about Gomez and his potential when people were roasting me because I said we didn't need Sanchez since we had Gomez who was better, and had better potential.

To be clear, Gomez is the real deal. What de Ligt did this season was absolutely fantastic and he obviously has tremendous upside, but Gomez is right there with him and was a massive loss when he went down.

But since you don't think they're anywhere near the same class maybe you could explain to me why you think this and what makes de Ligt so much better?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

He's a good player, but he's not someone we should be planning on to be a starter for us. He's injured too often, and while he doesn't do a bad job when starting, he's not exactly a match winner.

I'd prefer to keep him, but if his role in the squad is replaced, I don't have a problem with it. They need to replace him though. Bruun-Larsen can't be the replacement. If we are selling Guerreiro, we need to bring in at least two wingers this summer.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I feel like this summer will be huge for a number of big teams. Pretty much everyone but City.

Liverpool-Can they add depth to rotate their players and continue competing?

Arsenal-Can they continue to build under Unai?

Spurs-Will they finally buy a player and will they keep their players?

Chelsea-different kind of summer but can they keep Hazard and will their loan army work?

United-Can they become more than mediocre?

Bayern-Can they finally replace their older players?

Dortmund-Can they add players to overtake Bayern?

Atletico-Can they keep Greizzman and if not who do they replace him with?

Barca-How can they get back to their winning ways and how can they replace their aging players?

RM-Can they replace CR7?

Juve-Can they finally build a midfield?

PSG-Can they compete for the CL and is that defense/DM/keeper situation good enough?

Ajax-can they keep their players?

Lyon-Can they keep their players?

Leicester-Can they keep their players?

Monaco-Can they keep their players and come back from the **** season?

Probably more but these were just the top of my head. Could be either a huge summer or one of the more disappointing in memory.

Liverpool: They absolutely can. Could also really help in keeping the team hungry. I don't think that will be a problem next season, especially if for some reason they don't win the CL, but if they win the CL and CL/league next season it probably will be.

Arsenal: Sure, because there's plenty of work to do.

Spurs: They will buy multiple players. The question is who leaves? I think we'll most of the players they'd want to stay stick around now, like Eriksen for example.

Chelsea: If Madrid don't get come in for Hazard he stays. Long shot would otherwise be PSG, but don't think that's as likely at all.

United: Really challenging Summer ahead. The prospect of losing their top players and just a good number of players to boot. I think it'll be a difficult rebuild all things considered.

Bayern: While they'll have some work to do, I think if they buy well (which shouldn't be too difficult if they look close to home) they'll asset their domestic dominance again next season.

Atletico: They'll have some work to do. They're already losing some veterans in Godin and Luis and Costa could be sold too. Add Griezmann and that's a lot of holes to fill. Top 3 in La Liga shouldn't be an issue.

Barça: I'm sure some nunce will come in and say I'm being sensitive, and I'm sure you're referring to the CL, but we've won the league and should win the Copa. A domestic Double, and a Spanish one at that, is nothing to sneeze at. Anyway, the manager is the biggest issue. Still I think some daring could freshen up the squad nicely. I'll be happy with a conservative approach if we can land De Ligt. Then again I'm already thrilled with De Jong who I wanted us to sign the most.

Madrid: They don't need to replace Ronaldo, but they really can't anyway. For me their situation is as interesting as anyone's. Like I posted a few weeks back, 35 players essentially on their books for next season. So they'll have to shave that down. Then who do they bring in? They've done well avoiding Galacticoesque signings if you will, but we'll see if that continues I'd be thrilled if they signed Hazard and Pogba. I'd be annoyed if they signed Felix and Jovic.

Juventus: Meh, I don't see them building a better midfield. They don't have to do much to maintain their domestic stranglehold, but I think they'll need a few really good signings to compete in Europe.

PSG: They'll have the firepower if they make a big attacking player signing. Still they'll have some positions they need to sort out. Losing Rabiot and Cavani won't help them, especially Rabiot on a Bosman, but it's surely for the best he leaves at this point. Anyway, I just wonder if a lack of quality reinforcements doesn't bother Neymar or Mbappe' in the longer term (next Summer).

Ajax: No. For them it will be who they already have or bring in as replacements. They've already bought a De Ligt replacement something like a month ago but I don't really know him. Fortunately for them it looks as their biggest domestic rival at the moment looks set to also lose a key player or two.

Lyon: Some of them I would guess, but N'Dombele is a hot ticket right now and Mendy is being linked with Madrid. Curious I haven't heard more about Fekir, but then I don't follow all the rumors that closely.

Leicester: I think they'll definitely keep some of them, but I think some of the foreign players would make some noise if a bid comes in and the domestic players could probably be had for the right price.

Monaco: I think they've already been busy before this season snapping up some more young talent. I'm sure @Evilo could say more about this. I think a lot of it is quite young still though so it could be a bit before they come good.

At the end of the day I think it'll be a big Summer with a lot of spending, but perhaps not as many "blockbuster" signings as you'd expect for all that spending. Either way it'll a busy Summer for sure.

I also wonder if Sane could be had.

I don't. He'd be expensive.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
He's a good player, but he's not someone we should be planning on to be a starter for us. He's injured too often, and while he doesn't do a bad job when starting, he's not exactly a match winner.

I'd prefer to keep him, but if his role in the squad is replaced, I don't have a problem with it. They need to replace him though. Bruun-Larsen can't be the replacement. If we are selling Guerreiro, we need to bring in at least two wingers this summer.

No one on the squad apart from Sancho and Reus would be impossible to replace. I just don't see why they're even thinking about selling him when Wolf and Bruun Larsen are still around. He's a really good player to have in the squad. Of course if Brandt and Hazard both come, problem solved. I'd still rather keep Guerreiro than those others though.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I hope Sane stays. Most entertaining part of watching City play is seeing Guardiola going "#%&"¤ on Sane every 7 seconds.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I have to wonder if Sane doesn't decide he'd like to try something else at some point.

Being the first option off the bench and having Pep basically chew him out half the time can't be fun for him.

If I'm Real, PSG or Barca, I look really hard to see if he wouldn't mind coming aboard.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018

I'd pass if I were Chelsea. Abraham's proven all he can and deserves a shot.

They need to make a decision on Higuain (send him back and give Juve a serious headache please), Giroud and Batshuayi as well. Not to mention A-Madrid have to decide if they want to keep Morata.

Get rid of at least two of those dudes and give Tammy a shot.

I'd be floored if United recoups the 85m they dropped. Inter won't be dropping that kinda cash, and I doubt PSG will either with FFP breathing down their necks.

I know he's highly rated, but I don't know much about him. At least he fits the age profile I think they should be targeting. A steep price, though.

Reactions: Gecklund

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I watch AV quite often due to Grealish and I'm not impressed by Abraham. He is still young of course and I'm not going to claim he can't make it at a "top 6" team, but I highly doubt it.

That said - rather Abraham than Higuain.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
PSG got a funny way with goalkeepers. I like Areola. Obviously I don't watch PSG that often, but isn't he good enough? Would love him at Spurs from what I have seen.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, Inter could pay that much for Lukaku if they did finally sell Icardi.

That's like selling Benteke for profit on steroids. (Lukaku is a decent player, but his fee is absurd if that's what they'll get for him).

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
DeGea is going to leave. PSG I would presume. Not sure what other big team would need a keeper.

Juve is really the only other option.

Other than that, Spain’s big 3 are set, if Bayern is gonna replace neuer they’ll go a few years younger than De Gea, and no English teams that he would actually go to need a keeper (City and Liverpool)

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
If United can get back Lukaku’s fee I’d be thrilled. He hasn’t been bad, but he’s not clinical enough to be an elite striker and he’s now a couple years older and didn’t take the expected step forward being on a “better” team

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
PSG got a funny way with goalkeepers. I like Areola. Obviously I don't watch PSG that often, but isn't he good enough? Would love him at Spurs from what I have seen.
He's good enough but makes one or two costly mistakes that get overblown given his tremendous saves.
He needs more confidence from the club.
They did that by bringing Buffon to groom him.
Yet Buffon was the one in PSG's case when they lost the CL. That' s telling.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
No way PSG pays that price for Lukaku. They'd rather keep Cavani who's a legend for PSG fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad