Transfer: Summer Transfer News and Rumors Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think Kepa can be average somewhere else, but his confidence here is beyond repair. That goal he gave up against Liverpool when they were pressing him is the perfect example. He desperately needs a change of scenery because part of his issues are mental.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Lyon are going to sign Facundo Pellistri (!!!) as their fans called for and are closing in on Paqueta.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I'm honestly surprised Chelsea have not been linked with Matt Ryan through this window. Solid Prem goalie that would be on the cheaper side of things.

Not complaining, he is needed at Brighton. Just seems like a very reasonable idea for Lampard.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'm honestly surprised Chelsea have not been linked with Matt Ryan through this window. Solid Prem goalie that would be on the cheaper side of things.

Not complaining, he is needed at Brighton. Just seems like a very reasonable idea for Lampard.
We bought Mendy, so goalkeeper to Chelsea speculation is pretty much over at this point.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
We had a very specific type of keeper we wanted. Someone older in his prime, someone that is a solid shot stopper and good on crosses, someone relatively cheap to allow for us to sign a long-term solution over the next few windows. Mendy was picked out by Lollichon and Cech. We don't know exactly where Mendy was on the shortlist, but he was near the top.

Reactions: Blender

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
We bought Mendy, so goalkeeper to Chelsea speculation is pretty much over at this point.
Even before that though. Ryan has not really been on anyone's radar despite being one of the more consistent GK's in the Prem since Brighton were promoted.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I would’ve gotten rid of Zouma instead of Rudiger, although I don’t think any of the Chelsea CB’s are that good.
If we're getting rid of someone I would get rid of Christensen. Rudiger at least has been good for Chelsea before his injuries, and Zouma has more good games than bad games. You can count the good performances Christensen has had here on one hand.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'd hope that Tomori is able to work his way up into more consistent playing time along with Silva and Zouma. It's why I don't really care if it's Rudiger or Christensen out the door. At this point it's resale value, and if we keep Rudiger and extend him, he won't have much left. If we weren't going to extend him, then who cares.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Even before that though. Ryan has not really been on anyone's radar despite being one of the more consistent GK's in the Prem since Brighton were promoted.
I am a big Ryan guy. Obviously can’t give him starter minutes but I rate him highly.

Reactions: robertmac43

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If we're getting rid of someone I would get rid of Christensen. Rudiger at least has been good for Chelsea before his injuries, and Zouma has more good games than bad games. You can count the good performances Christensen has had here on one hand.

Christensen is the smoothest of the bunch. Good on the ball, looks the most in control of all of them. Rudiger and Zouma are good athletes, but not great footballers, in my opinion. I'd try to keep Christensen around because he brings a different style of play.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Christensen is the smoothest of the bunch. Good on the ball, looks the most in control of all of them. Rudiger and Zouma are good athletes, but not great footballers, in my opinion. I'd try to keep Christensen around because he brings a different style of play.
Christensen switches off every game and makes horrendous plays defensively. I would not consider that "smooth". It's a shame with him because when he's playing well he is pretty good, it just doesn't happen very often. Zouma is a lot more reliable at actually defending, and Rudiger when healthy was better on and off the ball than Christensen.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Meh. I like Dest. Moreso than Mazraoui, but 25M for an academy graduate who’s not really proven is hard not to accept.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Meh. I like Dest. Moreso than Mazraoui, but 25M for an academy graduate who’s not really proven is hard not to accept.
With his potential at the price its hard to pass up. If only he can come with Martinez then we be cooking with gas. Alas I have to wait until next year.

Tagliafico-Martinez-Garcia-Dest

Coach Ten Hag

Sporting director Overmars.

Reactions: Ajacied

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto

This is a mistake. IMO He’s their best defender besides Silva.

I'm deeply uncertain as to how I feel about this. On the one hand, I think he was a top 5 defender in the league the year under Sarri. On the other, he was really poor when he came back from injury last year. I like him a lot because he's tenacious and intense in a way that our other CBs were not (this has changed since Zouma's return), but he's always been a very instinctual defender which doesn't fit in well to the chaotic defense we have anyway. Like many of our guys, he could be a solid #2, but not a back-line leader. And you can only have so many #2s. Zouma definitely proved himself above Rudiger, Tomori is young and has a lot of potential, and I think there's still hope in Christensen (so good on the ball, just so lackadaisical). If we had to lose a CB, I think he's the one, I'm just a little bummed about it.

He was left out of the squad what else is he supposed to do? You would defend Christensen, Zouma, Rud... so whos the bad cbs? Or is it Lampard who cant set up a defensive structure?

1. Lampard can't set up a defensive structure, I will admit to this. He's gotta bring in an assistant who knows how to do that effectively (hopefully the guy they brought in from Wigan will help with this).
2. All of our CBs, as I noted above, are #2s - none of them are the guy who leads a backline. I hope that the presence of Silva will help one of them take that next step.
3. I've said this before - Kepa is Marc-Andre Fleury ca. 2010-2015. The entire team (and the defense especially) play much shakier when he's in goal because they have no confidence in him. It's not solely that he lets in bad goals, it's that his presence disrupts the stability of the guys in front of him.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Yea, by myself or some other Chelsea fans that watch all our games and are familiar with his statistics. I am constantly arguing with people here who claim he is average at worse and is only bad because of Chelsea's defenders or Lampard.
I think some of those people are saying that Kepa is better than he looked last year AND Lampard's defense was not set up to help him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Please don’t be a bust. I will start cheering for murica if he reaches his potential.

Don't forget Konrad. He might also come good for Barca.

There's a 14 year old Coloradan CM named Adrian Simons Gill whose one of the best players in La Masia, right now. La Masia also has a 14 year old GK from Miami named Diego Kochen, but I'm not putting much stock into his potential yet. Only heard a lot about Simons Gil because he's supposed to be extremely good.

We can make you into a convert, and then you'll be leading Pulisic>Kai bandwagon instead of fighting it. :thumbu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad