Transfer: Summer Transfer news and rumors discussion part 11: Sky Sports Deadline Day show needs Roy Kent

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Which is why I posted what I did.

I wouldn't want to speculate. If you're open to the idea he'd go outside of La Liga, and I think that's certainly reasonable at present, then I'd Bayern and as a real dark horse Juventus to your list.

KHR just poured water on that notion in a recent interview, saying that no club in germany could afford him when he leaves BVB. Though he's stepped aside at FC Hollywood, I tend to believe he's right about that. Especially with Bayern's rumored targets being kids like Adeyemi, Baku & Wirtz, whose combined cost is likely to be lower than Haaland's even if Erling has a buyout clause...nevermind wages & agents fees.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
KHR just poured water on that notion in a recent interview, saying that no club in germany could afford him when he leaves BVB. Though he's stepped aside at FC Hollywood, I tend to believe he's right about that. Especially with Bayern's rumored targets being kids like Adeyemi, Baku & Wirtz, whose combined cost is likely to be lower than Haaland's even if Erling has a buyout clause...nevermind wages & agents fees.

I don't think Bayern are one of the top candidates, but I definitely think they could afford him. For me it'd be the fact that he's already in the league. Still, as with Juventus who I only mentioned considering Raiola is his agent and what he did with De Ligt, I simply wouldn't rule them out this point even though I think the chances of him joining either side is low.

I think it comes down to the following in no particular order: City, PSG, Madrid and Barça. That's not to say other clubs like United couldn't afford him, but I'd be shocked if he didn't go to one of those clubs and I'd probably even take City off of that list.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I would say that City or PSG are likely the richest clubs. The reason they'd be able to sign both would be because Mbappe' would likely be a free transfer and Haaland would only be his buyout clause. The only potential catch would be wages and having to jettison guys like Benzema, Bale and Hazard, though I think Bale's contract is up and they probably have a few other guys like Modric or Isco who they can just let got as they'll be out of contract.

Bale is out of a contract at the end of the year, yes.

Hazard can be sold. Isco can f*** off.

Modric is on a year-to-year basis. He will do the right thing or move. And, as much as I love Modric, we have Camavinga and Valverde. Time to turn the team over to them.

Benzema can and will stay.

Reactions: TheShape

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

Modric is on a year-to-year basis. He will do the right thing or move. And, as much as I love Modric, we have Camavinga and Valverde. Time to turn the team over to them.

I think Isco's contract is up this Summer IIRC. Benzema's I believe is next. Don't take my word for it though.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I love the instant reaction of fans of other leagues that think they know better than everyone that says Bayern cannot afford Haaland and he’s more likely to stay at Dortmund if he stays in Germany. Same people that claim every year that Bayern buys the league.

There is zero chance Haaland joins Bayern. Same chance he joins Barcelona. It’ll be one of the English clubs, Real Madrid, outside chance for PSG, or he stays. No other club has any chance to afford his demands.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I would be absolutely shocked if Haaland stayed in Germany. My guess is that he would prefer England, but turning down RM is of course not easy. Personally I think it will be United or RM. If United win the league or are very close to this season I think that would be is preferred choice - to play for a big English team fighting for the biggest titles. And I think United with Haaland would do that now. Haaland and another CM and that would be a very very good team.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020

Modric is a perfect mentor for Camavinga, let the kid learn the ropes from him. Plus, he ages like fine wine, his performance against Celta was a masterclass.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Modric is a perfect mentor for Camavinga, let the kid learn the ropes from him. Plus, he ages like fine wine, his performance against Celta was a masterclass.

I agree, but I'm assuming Modric would accept taking a wage cut then?

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

I agree, but I'm assuming Modric would accept taking a wage cut then?

Modric seems fine with a year-to-year approach. He is doing what Ramos did not want to do, basically. I am confident he will re-sign for a less and continue to do his thing.

My point was mostly that we have to make sure Valverde and Camavinga become the heart of that midfield. Modric likely would not be the undisputed starter next season.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Modric seems fine with a year-to-year approach. He is doing what Ramos did not want to do, basically. I am confident he will re-sign for a less and continue to do his thing.

My point was mostly that we have to make sure Valverde and Camavinga become the heart of that midfield. Modric likely would not be the undisputed starter next season.

Which means RM can plan accordingly in terms of what they can offer Haaland.

I don't know what Modric plans to do after his career, or in his last years of it, but I could see it being quite attractive for him to play for a strong young RM - even if he won't be a given starter in all games and will be paid far less than at his peak.

I could also see him being the kind of player who raises his game in big games as an old man - so he would still be someone RM would like to keep - even if he can't perform like he did for 60 games a year any longer.

With Haaland and Mbappe with the likes of Valverde and Camavinga getting more experienced I could definitely see RM fighting for the CL title next year.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Which means RM can plan accordingly in terms of what they can offer Haaland.

I don't know what Modric plans to do after his career, or in his last years of it, but I could see it being quite attractive for him to play for a strong young RM - even if he won't be a given starter in all games and will be paid far less than at his peak.

I could also see him being the kind of player who raises his game in big games as an old man - so he would still be someone RM would like to keep - even if he can't perform like he did for 60 games a year any longer.

With Haaland and Mbappe with the likes of Valverde and Camavinga getting more experienced I could definitely see RM fighting for the CL title next year.

If we can get Haaland and Mbappé, I am pretty sure that would help convince Modric to take less and play a little bit of a lesser role. I say a little bit, because as long as he is playing like he has been, you keep giving him more minutes than Camavinga. Camavinga still has growth to do, you can bring him along slowly. Valverde is the one who needs to be an undisputed starter right now. Kroos is still good and has a year left after this one. I wonder how best to use him. Valverde can also play the right wing. It is not ideal, but perhaps, if Hazard continues to suck, he can start there when Kroos starts in the midfield. Well, that is if Kroos injury finally heals lol

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
If we can get Haaland and Mbappé, I am pretty sure that would help convince Modric to take less and play a little bit of a lesser role. I say a little bit, because as long as he is playing like he has been, you keep giving him more minutes than Camavinga. Camavinga still has growth to do, you can bring him along slowly. Valverde is the one who needs to be an undisputed starter right now. Kroos is still good and has a year left after this one. I wonder how best to use him. Valverde can also play the right wing. It is not ideal, but perhaps, if Hazard continues to suck, he can start there when Kroos starts in the midfield. Well, that is if Kroos injury finally heals lol

Agree. And on Camavinga. I know on this board it is now a given he will be world class more or less right away. I don't necessarily believe that (not saying the opposite either - just that with young players there is always more uncertainty than most on here seem to think).

My guess is that Hazard leaves. Obviously he could play alongside Haaland and Mbappe, but I find it unlikely that RM will see the point in that considering the cost of Hazard. It requires that someone will take him of course.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Agree. And on Camavinga. I know on this board it is now a given he will be world class more or less right away. I don't necessarily believe that (not saying the opposite either - just that with young players there is always more uncertainty than most on here seem to think).

My guess is that Hazard leaves. Obviously he could play alongside Haaland and Mbappe, but I find it unlikely that RM will see the point in that considering the cost of Hazard. It requires that someone will take him of course.

I mean, if we get Haaland AND Mbappé, even Benzema's role can be questioned. Hazard has to go for sure.

What formation do you play?

2 forwards and Mbappé plays like a false 10 behind them (the Griezzman role on the National Team)... but that's not exploiting one of Mbappé's greatest strength (speed). Mbappé on the wing? If you play a 4-3-3 that can work, but if you play 4-4-2, do you really want him on the wing?

And then, what do you do with Vini? He seems to be having a break out season. Playing much better, finishing at a higher rate. Less lost balls. He is also very young and theoritically be part of the new core... or he could go back to being a very frustrating player to cheer for.

I guess you could try something like:

Benzema - Haaland
Vinicius - Valverde - Camavinga - Mbappé

But then, you are basically playing a 4-2-4 in front of a weak defense and the two midfielders you are using are more offense-oriented. That team would be VERY vulnerable on the counter and could lose midfield battles. Vinicius on the left does not worry me, he put in a lot of defensive work. Mbappé can do it too. You want these guys to score goals, not spend their time defending though. I dunno.

I mean, even if we can afford to get both of Haaland and Mbappé, is it wise? I guess you just relegate Benzema to a lesser role if you can pull that heist off... but he is our best player and a club legend. Maybe that's my heart talking, I really dunno. I guess we'll cross that bridge if we ever get there. 1st-world problems, I guess :laugh:

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I mean, if we get Haaland AND Mbappé, even Benzema's role can be questioned. Hazard has to go for sure.

What formation do you play?

2 forwards and Mbappé plays like a false 10 behind them (the Griezzman role on the National Team)... but that's not exploiting one of Mbappé's greatest strength (speed). Mbappé on the wing? If you play a 4-3-3 that can work, but if you play 4-4-2, do you really want him on the wing?

And then, what do you do with Vini? He seems to be having a break out season. Playing much better, finishing at a higher rate. Less lost balls. He is also very young and theoritically be part of the new core... or he could go back to being a very frustrating player to cheer for.

I guess you could try something like:

Benzema - Haaland
Vinicius - Valverde - Camavinga - Mbappé

But then, you are basically playing a 4-2-4 in front of a weak defense and the two midfielders you are using are more offense-oriented. That team would be VERY vulnerable on the counter and could lose midfield battles. Vinicius on the left does not worry me, I put in a lot of defensive work. Mbappé can do it too. You want these guys to score goals, not spend their time defending though. I dunno.

I mean, even if we can afford to get both of Haaland and Mbappé, is it wise? I guess you just relegate Benzema to a lesser role if you can pull that heist off... but he is our best player and a club legend. Maybe that's my heart talking, I really dunno. I guess we'll cross that bridge if we ever get there. 1st-world problems, I guess :laugh:

Benzema will slow down at some point. To me that is Vini - Haaland - Mbappe long term. Which assuming they get some sort of chemistry would be pretty sensational.

If Benzema is still good 12 months from now you can play Haaland in a slightly wider role with Haaland - Benzema - Mbappe. Vini would still get plenty of minutes. And it's not a given that both Haaland and Mbappe would be at their absolute best from day 1 in Spain. Even if they both seem very adaptable.

I think this works fantastically for RM, but I do believe United will give Haaland a ridiculous offer so they might think they rather stick with Benzema if he is still performing waiting for the next Haaland instead.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I just don't see Haaland playing second fiddle to Mbappe at Madrid or vice versa. Benz also isn't coming out of that starting lineup anytime soon and if Vini keeps it up the same can be said about him. Too many cooks in the kitchen and would leave the team unbalanced.

My money is on Haaland ending up at United, they can offer the money he wants plus the exposure of the league and he gets to play a season with Ronaldo. It will be a battle with City though.

First and foremost Madrid have to find a taker for Hazard this summer, my guess is they'll have to go the loan route having the other club cover wages. I'll be surprised if RM receive any transfer fee. I'm not against Modric coming back but he would have to slide down the pecking order, more minutes for Camavinga and Blanco should be the priority. As for Kroos, he shouldn't be a guaranteed starter anymore and I'm not sure he fits Ancelotti's direct playing style.

Madrid will have money to spend with some big wages coming off the books, world class CB should be their priority and should start looking for a Carvajal backup soon.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’ve said before that I think the highest contender for a move is Real Madrid, and I think there’s a long-term agreement with his agent and Real Madrid that he’ll play for them eventually, but I don’t think Haaland is playing winger. Either they play 4-4-2 and Mbappe has to play winger and track back on defense or they can’t sign both until Benzema isn’t their best attacker. That’s not an insignificant problem. Then Madrid has to solve their back line problems. Can they afford all of that in one summer? They are the top contender to sign Mbappe and Haaland, but it may not work that they can sign both.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I just don't see Haaland playing second fiddle to Mbappe at Madrid or vice versa. Benz also isn't coming out of that starting lineup anytime soon and if Vini keeps it up the same can be said about him. Too many cooks in the kitchen and would leave the team unbalanced.

My money is on Haaland ending up at United, they can offer the money he wants plus the exposure of the league and he gets to play a season with Ronaldo. It will be a battle with City though.

First and foremost Madrid have to find a taker for Hazard this summer, my guess is they'll have to go the loan route having the other club cover wages. I'll be surprised if RM receive any transfer fee. I'm not against Modric coming back but he would have to slide down the pecking order, more minutes for Camavinga and Blanco should be the priority. As for Kroos, he shouldn't be a guaranteed starter anymore and I'm not sure he fits Ancelotti's direct playing style.

Madrid will have money to spend with some big wages coming off the books, world class CB should be their priority and should start looking for a Carvajal backup soon.

You know Perez will sign both if he can sign both. Even if it does not fit football-wise. That's what Perez does, he signs stars.

I would hope he would prioritize the defense and sign Mbappé on a free. As good as Haaland is, I would not even go after him unless the deal is too good to pass up. Do not go into a bidding war for him when you can have Mbappé on a free. If Mbappé re-signs with PSG, and he very well might, than, sure enter the Haaland sweepstakes. But it is Perez and if a superstar is available, he'll go after him.

Reactions: TheShape

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I’ve said before that I think the highest contender for a move is Real Madrid, and I think there’s a long-term agreement with his agent and Real Madrid that he’ll play for them eventually, but I don’t think Haaland is playing winger. Either they play 4-4-2 and Mbappe has to play winger and track back on defense or they can’t sign both until Benzema isn’t their best attacker. That’s not an insignificant problem. Then Madrid has to solve their back line problems. Can they afford all of that in one summer? They are the top contender to sign Mbappe and Haaland, but it may not work that they can sign both.

Mbappe will be the face of the new project and get to play wherever he wants, let's be honest. I'm not seeing how RM are the top contender to sign Haaland, there will be vacancies at the striker position at United, City, PSG, (probably wouldn't go there) even Barcelona. Doesn't make sense for Haaland to wait around for Benzema to drop off, he will make his big move this summer. Raiola is always using Madrid to prop up his clients in the media, Perez just doesn't deal with the guy. Once Jorge Mendes started to become a problem, Florentino shipped out all his clients.

You know Perez will sign both if he can sign both. Even if it does not fit football-wise. That's what Perez does, he signs stars.

I would hope he would prioritize the defense and sign Mbappé on a free. As good as Haaland is, I would not even go after him unless the deal is too good to pass up. Do not go into a bidding war for him when you can have Mbappé on a free. If Mbappé re-signs with PSG, and he very well might, than, sure enter the Haaland sweepstakes. But it is Perez and if a superstar is available, he'll go after him.

Perez will be in the mix for sure if it makes sense financially, but Raiola and his "agent fees" aren't going to fly. Haaland would really, really want to join Madrid and only Madrid. Everything I've seen out of the kid shows he is ultra focused and wants to be the man. That doesn't happen with Mbappe there.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I would be absolutely shocked if Haaland stayed in Germany. My guess is that he would prefer England, but turning down RM is of course not easy. Personally I think it will be United or RM. If United win the league or are very close to this season I think that would be is preferred choice - to play for a big English team fighting for the biggest titles. And I think United with Haaland would do that now. Haaland and another CM and that would be a very very good team.
I personally think his next club will be Man City. His dad played for City and they were very serious about getting Harry Kane last summer. My feeling is that they will do everything possible to get Haaland next summer.

Even with United big pockets I feel his cost would be too much. They are already spending a fortune on Ronaldo, Sancho and they will have to re-sign Rashford, Pogba and Fernandes too.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I personally think his next club will be Man City. His dad played for City and they were very serious about getting Harry Kane last summer. My feeling is that they will do everything possible to get Haaland next summer.

Even with United big pockets I feel his cost would be too much. They are already spending a fortune on Ronaldo, Sancho and they will have to re-sign Rashford, Pogba and Fernandes too.

City of course is an option. A bit risky though. Seen so many times that when a manager with the influence Guardiola has had leaves the club typically needs time to get going again. But if City offers him 1m a week that could clearly happen.

Not sure if his father playing for City matters much. I think their emotional connection is with Leeds.

I also think it matters the support the club has got. I think that is one of the reasons why he is in Dortmund now. Just more fun playing in such an environment. Even if his next club will in that regard be a step down from Dortmund anyway.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
My gut still says Barca for Haaland as I see him wanting to be the man for his next club rather than sharing the spotlight with Mbappe. Who knows if they'll be able to make it happen, and if not I'd assume he follows the money to england, but Barca still feels like the spot for him.

Though that may just because part of me would be game for him & Mbappe to do the Leo/CR7 at Barcelona & Madrid.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
My gut still says Barca for Haaland as I see him wanting to be the man for his next club rather than sharing the spotlight with Mbappe. Who knows if they'll be able to make it happen, and if not I'd assume he follows the money to england, but Barca still feels like the spot for him.

Though that may just because part of me would be game for him & Mbappe to do the Leo/CR7 at Barcelona & Madrid.

As much as it would suck for me to see Barca get such a good player, I think Mbappé to Real Madrid and Haaland to Barca is the best thing that could happen to La Liga.

The giants need to rise again.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I have seen nothing to suggest that Haaland cares much about being "the man". Even if he does I don't think he is afraid he has to share it with Mbappe. In his head he would be the man even with Mbappe in the team.

If it is possible to afford them both I don't know. You can't expect to pay Mbappe 1m a week and Haaland 500k. As an example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad