Transfer: Summer Transfer news and rumors discussion part 11: Sky Sports Deadline Day show needs Roy Kent

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Though that's a large part of my doubts about their "sustainability" without their owner's money, wasn't the same thing true of Chelsea 10-15 years ago? Or am I misremembering?

They were consistently finishing top 5 in the PL before Roman. They were a top 10 club worldwide by revenue (according to Deloitte's Football Money League rankings) as well. But if I remember correctly their previous owner did "loan" the club money to buy players so Roman took over a club on the way up.

Reactions: cgf

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I think without Roman Chelsea would be very similar to Tottenham maybe even higher since they had a larger stadium. (Before the Spurs built their own obviously)

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
They were consistently finishing top 5 in the PL before Roman. They were a top 10 club worldwide by revenue (according to Deloitte's Football Money League rankings) as well. But if I remember correctly their previous owner did "loan" the club money to buy players so Roman took over a club on the way up.

Hmm, they finished in the top 4 (CL) twice in the 10 years before Roman.

This was the part I remembered about pre-Roman Chelsea, but they could well have been finishing 5th that whole time and I not noticed because they didn't make it into the CL.

I suppose Citeh has more of a hill to climb than Chelsea did, even before we consider the local competition, but it is a path that we've seen before. So if they keep this up, soon enough there will be a second generation of city fans who have only known them as title contenders.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
This was the part I remembered about pre-Roman Chelsea, but they could well have been finishing 5th that whole time and I not noticed because they didn't make it into the CL.

I suppose Citeh has more of a hill to climb than Chelsea did, even before we consider the local competition, but it is a path that we've seen before. So if they keep this up, soon enough there will be a second generation of city fans who have only known them as title contenders.

the thing is, the money difference for English clubs has made it easier for a city. Your average English club that can finish top 4 consistently has an advantage over every single foreign club bar 2 or 3 maybe?

In the late 90s/early 2000s finishing 6th in the PL pit you well behind a Milan or Inter or Bayern. Now Everton makes more money than Milan.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
pre Roman Chelsea also had a Wenger Arsenal team dominating London.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Chelsea were in a terrible financial place and would be going in to administration and become expelled from the football league pyramid without Roman taking over. Aside from a few good years prior to the takeover, they were also really really bad for almost 50 years. Chelsea were a consistent second division side in the 70s and 80s and were a smaller club than City with much less historical sucess and significance pre takeover. Before the sugardadies, City had 2 league titles pre takeover compared to Chelsea’s one, and a much much larger fanbase. City were a genuine football club who had the entire region of eastern Manchester supporting them. Anyone who lived in Manchester and didn’t support United went for City. Chelsea were like 7th most popular in London with low attendances and on the brink of liquitation in the 80s.

As far as buying sucess goes, Chelsea are by far the worst. Not only were they the first genuine oil club and the ones who started the trend, they also went to a larger exteme in spending ridiculous sums in comparison to City and PSG to build a solid foundation. Both City and PSG were also more sucessful and supported clubs than Chelsea pre takeover.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Chelsea was also going to go to administration if it wasn't for Roman.

That doesn't really hurt your fan appeal if you're performing on the pitch until a club actually goes into administration. So not sure that's really a point in City's favor here. Same way them being better than Chelsea in the 80s doesn't really impact their appeal to kids/neutrals now.

What feels like the biggest difference to me, is United. If they had fallen apart like Arsenal and left City as Manchester's only contender, I would buy that they could continue to be a top team even without their sugardaddy. But with United bouncing back to at least a CL level, even if they won't be contending for the CL any time soon, local kids have more of a choice to make...so they really need that oil money to continue flowing until that second generation of title-winning-Citeh fans starts having money to spend.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad