Transfer: Summer Transfer Discussion Thread 7

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Norwich, who will be relegated or close to it, can afford Sargent. Leverkusen, one of the most exciting teams in Europe, can't afford Sargent. This is the issue with the money that the PL generates. Ruins football sometimes.

Leverkusen just sold Bailey for good money, they can afford Sargent.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Dude, I mean, I think Messi is the greatest too, but he has not score against us in a while, hasn't he?
Doesn't matter Madrid is in his top 5 of most goals against a team. The other Madrid is there too. So he's not only trolling he's also an idiot. But that's not news to anyone even to himself. Since he doesn't really believe what he says.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Gladbach officially anounce the acquisition of Luca Netz.

Leverkusen are making Piero Hincapie their next signing after having already snapped up Kossounou...that's certainly one way to rebuild your defense :laugh:

Have to tip my cap to the work they & Leipzig have done restock their defenders...I really like Gvardiol & Simakan for RB even if they don't bring Lacroix across the line as well.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well, he has been patiently waiting on that plane ever since he missed that penalty, no? :sarcasm:
He's getting tons of heat right now in France, and none for his penalty, all for his "I'll give my decision soon" stuff for the last 6 months. Now he's supposed to stay but not resign. Losing him on a free would be devastating for his image in France. Even those who want to see him leave feel PSG should get the 200M+ for him (except the dumb OM fan).

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Barca and Real Madrid did the right thing... for the wrong reasons.

They do not care about the small clubs in lower divisions. They just want their Super League so they can keep all the money.
Really it's tough to watch.
Laporta and Peres are absolute giant pricks, and Tebas might be just as much if not more.
Man football would be so much better without those 3.

Reactions: luiginb

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Barca and Real Madrid did the right thing... for the wrong reasons.

They do not care about the small clubs in lower divisions. They just want their Super League so they can keep all the money.

I'm not so sure about that. They most definitely did the right thing. Whether or not that is all to do with the Super League though I'm not convinced. They lose TV revenue either way if I'm not mistaken, 800 million over the course of 50 years in Barça's case is what I read, which is more than they get out of that deal. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the Super League played a part too, but that's more to it than that and with regards to the Super League my guess is it's more nuanced than you'll read here. A lot of lazy posting on this forum.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
From what I've seen Laporta pretty much confirmed what I've been saying:
  • The club inherited a financial mess from the previous board (also Covid related, but he won't get the previous board that, but he did refence the club's losses from last season).
  • The financial fair play/salary cap rules in La Liga are very stringent. What you cut in payroll, you can only spend another 25% of. I'm assuming that's based on your financial position though.
Also that they could get Messi with the CVC agreement but they don't want to sign it because it would mean that for 50 years the TV rights would be endangered and no player is worth that risk for the club

This is what I'm referring to. From what I saw yesterday that would amount to significantly more than what this CVC deal would bring.

It’s obvious that the way Barca is framing it is also a tactic to blame it on La Liga for them to budge somehow. But nope, not gonna happen, everyone asked how was it going to work and Barca was like “don’t worry, we got this”. Lulzzzzz get rekt!

Yeah, that's why he referenced the club's finances and the previous board's management.

Incorrect and I'm somewhat shocked you even posted this. If you want to blame Laporta and the current board for something you should look at the signings they've made and much more so their inability or unwillingness to get tough around salaries and getting rid of dead wood.

Is it stunning that they choose not to sell 10% of their league to keep Messi?

I haven't spent much time to understand the deal La Liga has made (I asked in the La Liga-thread) - so I'm not trying to be smart here - just an honest question possibly being stupid due to lack of knowledge about the La Liga deal.

The CVC deal is a short term influx of cash, but in the long term Barça and I'm assuming every single other club that is a La Liga regular come out behind in the deal. That's based on conditions as they are now and if you project out. That said I think it's just plain a bad idea to sell 10% of your brand. Plenty of other ways to enhance your brand and get some additional revenue without having to sell a stake.

Considering what they want is a super league yeah it’s pretty stunning.

I'm wholly against a Super League, but that's a completely different and they lose money long term with the CVC deal regardless of any Super League.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad