summer trades and signings chat

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
my biggest long term concern is center . what if veleno doesnt become a top 6 ? then who ? and now lafraniers said to be a winger so thats history . it makes me think that yzermans going to make a move for a center prospect if he trades an aa . i know hes thinking center 24/7

I'm sure there's a center available in the top 6 in the 2020 draft. If not, maybe the 2021 draft. Wings are still rebuilding.

some center from some draft dont work for me when i want to be ready to march 2021/22 , maybe not to the throne but announce our arrival . thats why im pushing for a center prospect trade now .

You are following the wrong team then. Yzerman couldn't stress "patience" enough when he took over. 2021/22 is out of the question.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
dont care what position tomasina plays it adds up to a late first where he was just drafted , aa is worth a late first . aa just hit 30 on a junk team and on a junk line with a junk defense . and hes under contract this year then a rfa next summer , thats 2 years minimum .

If a late first C is what you want... Veleno is that guy. Or whoever the Wings have available on the board next season.

All I'm saying is that other teams aren't going to look at AA as this incredibly valuable piece where they'll trade you a center with more upside than Joe Veleno (which is the whole reason you're stating that you're interested. You're not certain on Veleno, so you want someone better than him). They'll look at him as a nice piece that scored 30 goals but ultimately a guy who will be an RFA coming up for a deal where he'd want 6-7M if he's even got a decent year this year, who doesn't use his linemates and is kind of a one-trick pony. It's a hell of a trick, but they're going to try to buy him cheap from you or not at all.

AA is a guy you'll never get anywhere close to his actual value for, because teams will glom onto all the negatives that are there in his game.

e:
do you understand teams want to win the cup now . a team like preds just adding duchene is right there , and a guy like aa could make them top challengers for the next 3 seasons . theyll move a late first round pick for that . mean while you act like tomasina is lafraniere . while continuing to ignore the wings lack of center depth and discounting excellent d prospects like mcissac and choski . do you realize how good choski looked first half last year , and what a great season mcissac had . time shall prove my point

I do understand that. And I'm not acting like Tomasino is Lafreniere. I'm saying that teams aren't going to trade legitimate young center prospects to you for Andreas Athanasiou who is a wing that doesn't use his linemates and kind of is what he is at this point. I'm saying that to get a Veleno level prospect C out of someone, you have to give them something other than AA.

And regardless of what you think, I'm not discounting that Cholo and McIsaac played well or had good parts of seasons. Just that have a good part of a season or looking really good in juniors tells you nothing. Brendan Smith looked amazing his first year in Detroit. Jonathan Ericsson looked like a huge plus his first playoff season. Hell, Jakub Kindl when he got his 4x2.4 extension looked like he was finally becoming a top 4 D. I'm just saying that starting next season, the Wings are going to have three or four open slots on their D.

Ericsson
Green
Kronwall
Daley

All gone. So, even if every single one of those guys hits (Seider, Lindstrom, Cholo, McIsaac, and Regula), that's only 9 current D men of real worth in the system. DDK, Hronek, those 5, and then you have a few long shots in Kaski, Hicketts, and Bowey. And then a couple of hail mary shots in Setkov, Saarijarvi, and others.

The Wings defensive depth is not good, particularly noting that they'll have to replace more than half of their starting D by 20-21. Neither is their center depth.

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I disagree. I see AA more of a Cheechoo who could have a short NHL career. AA is the least dynamic player in the game who scores 30 goals and is nothing more than a fast north player who is making his career out of cherry picking. His best attribute is he's exciting to watch. I want a player that is more than that. And that is Mantha.

AA needs to be on the trading block.

This is hilarious.

The guy who scores 30 goals next to Luke Glendening is the guy not worth keeping.

I wonder how many goals Cheechoo would have scored next to Glendening instead of Thornton?

Reactions: decaguard

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
I think teams would be more worried about him having full arbitration rights. He and Mantha can do what Trouba did this summer if they are having good years. Basically make it clear that they go in for one year deals to UFA at huge dollar request.
Again 2 very different situations.

Trouba wanted out of Winnipeg for years. IIRC, he asked for a trade 2-3 years before he actually left.

What someone is asking for arbitration and what is the arbitrator's decision are 2 very different things. Arbitration process typically looks for similar players in terms of performance as the benchmark for the salary with both sides arguing to move the dollar amount to benefit them.

There are two much bigger concerns with AA and Mantha.

Mantha has obvious motivational issues preventing him from providing a consistent effort throughout the season.
AA's offense is based almost entirely on speed. Given how early speed begins to regress (early 30s), adding another dimension to his game is paramount for long-term success.

As to AA's contract dispute couple seasons ago, that was entirely on Ken Holland low balling him and the cap crunch of the team. Ken knowing that an RFA without arbitration rights is completely there to be exploited.

Reactions: Reddwit

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
This is hilarious.

The guy who scores 30 goals next to Luke Glendening is the guy not worth keeping.

I wonder how many goals Cheechoo would have scored next to Glendening instead of Thornton?

Yep. That's exactly what he said.

Between Mantha and Athanasiou, I want to keep Mantha too. I'd like to trade AA because AA should have value enough to get you something that will materially improve your future. It won't be a 1st or 2nd line C prospect by himself, but you could certainly package him with something and have a HELL of a chance at getting something really damn good. And if you look at icetimes... even if AA was on the ice with Glenny... he was usually on the ice with a guy like Bertuzzi or Hirose at the same time. So while he did log minutes with "scrubs" he also got a good amount of ice time with good hockey players too.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
This is hilarious.

I recall AA more time with Vanek/Nielsen than with Glendening.

Don't forget that Glendening/Helm are good enough to play on the top line with Larkin ;)

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I recall AA more time with Vanek/Nielsen than with Glendening.

Don't forget that Glendening/Helm are good enough to play on the top line with Larkin ;)

Well, here are the facts.
AA's top 2.
324 minutes with Glendening. 8-6-14
297 minutes with Nielsen. 7-4-11.
By comparison. Mantha's top 2.
595 minutes with Larkin. 7-10-16 262 minutes with Bertuzzi. 3-6-9.

Which isn't to take away from Mantha's decent season.
But my god.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Yep. That's exactly what he said.

Between Mantha and Athanasiou, I want to keep Mantha too. I'd like to trade AA because AA should have value enough to get you something that will materially improve your future. It won't be a 1st or 2nd line C prospect by himself, but you could certainly package him with something and have a HELL of a chance at getting something really damn good. And if you look at icetimes... even if AA was on the ice with Glenny... he was usually on the ice with a guy like Bertuzzi or Hirose at the same time. So while he did log minutes with "scrubs" he also got a good amount of ice time with good hockey players too.

Not as often. And with many finishers.
So he overproduced in a big way.

And look, I'm willing to trade AA for a good defenseman myself.

But the idea that Mantha is better than Athanasiou? Right now, I just don't see it.

I think guys are still thinking about potential rather than results.

And if you ask me, AA is the one, due to playing time and linemates, with more room to improve production.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Again 2 very different situations.

Trouba wanted out of Winnipeg for years. IIRC, he asked for a trade 2-3 years before he actually left.

What someone is asking for arbitration and what is the arbitrator's decision are 2 very different things. Arbitration process typically looks for similar players in terms of performance as the benchmark for the salary with both sides arguing to move the dollar amount to benefit them.

There are two much bigger concerns with AA and Mantha.

Mantha has obvious motivational issues preventing him from providing a consistent effort throughout the season.
AA's offense is based almost entirely on speed. Given how early speed begins to regress (early 30s), adding another dimension to his game is paramount for long-term success.

As to AA's contract dispute couple seasons ago, that was entirely on Ken Holland low balling him and the cap crunch of the team. Ken knowing that an RFA without arbitration rights is completely there to be exploited.

AA's comparables is where he got paid. His holdout was pretty stupid and still is in my opinion given he partially flushed the year coming in late and underperforming for the same pro-rated contract he was offered to start on time. We will see where it goes this time.

Caving to RFAs with no leverage isn't something Yzerman is going to do either. At least I hope not...

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Pulju makes some sense. A big right-handed shot.

Not sure what vets would land him. Unless you're counting AA, Mantha and Bertuzzi as veterans.

Yakupov was traded for a no name prospect and a 3rd (turned into a 2nd if Yak scored 15 goals). Given this we can say JP would roughly be worth something similar.

Holland essentially has 3 options:
1. Trade JP for Yakupov type return
2. Hold on to JP
3. Or pursue a veteran forward. Given the Yakupov frame of reference and the fact that the oilers haven’t traded JP we can posit that no GM is offering anything close to Bertuzzi, Mantha, or AA.

From here we can conclude that Holland will either keep JP (most likely imo) or trade him for vet support that is notably less valuable than Bertuzzi.

I actually think someone like Helm (possibly with some retained money) would be close to best case scenario for the Oilers if they were to actually trade JP.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Oh, how I wish.
Not happening SUB

As I said, Keeping Pulu is what i'd expect them to do however if they do in fact want to trade him we know they won't get anything close to Bert/Mantha/AA. More generally, they are clearly not being offered a young roster forward with upside.

We also know the oilers want to compete sooner than later. Maybe the keep him but the reality is if they want to add a vet they won't get a better player than Helm. If they could have it would have happened.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
As I said, Keeping Pulu is what i'd expect them to do however if they do in fact want to trade him we know they won't get anything close to Bert/Mantha/AA. More generally, they are clearly not being offered a young roster forward with upside.

We also know the oilers want to compete sooner than later. Maybe the keep him but the reality is if they want to add a vet they won't get a better player than Helm. If they could have it would have happened.

Darren Helm has negative trade value.
Puljujarvi doesn't.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Not as often. And with many finishers.
So he overproduced in a big way.

And look, I'm willing to trade AA for a good defenseman myself.

But the idea that Mantha is better than Athanasiou? Right now, I just don't see it.

I think guys are still thinking about potential rather than results.

And if you ask me, AA is the one, due to playing time and linemates, with more room to improve production.

To improve production, he'd have to utilize his linemates. If you actually look at it... he performed pretty much evenly across all of his line combos. Points were spread pretty evenly between lines he shared with Nielsen and Glendening and whoever. Basically hinting that AA was immune to bad linemates but also that he wasn't too much better with good linemates.

And hell yes, I'm thinking about potential over results. Look at what motivated Mantha can do. He can take games over like Franzen used to. Mantha just has more natural skill than AA. AA's skill is basically all physical. It's kind of like how Larkin is NEVER going to be on McDavid's level (and that's okay). McDavid can coast at 60-70% and make all the plays. Larkin has to go 100% or he's dead. Larkin will make all the plays, but he's got to be a bull in a china shop or he'll fall behind.

It's the same deal. Mantha at his best > AA at his best. And also, AA is worth more now than Mantha is worth. So.... it would make sense to deal the guy who is worth more but will likely peak as less than the other way around.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Darren Helm has negative trade value.
Puljujarvi doesn't.

Yeah, Darren Helm at 50% doesn't have negative trade value.

Darren Helm on a Luke Glendening contract doesn't have a ton of value. Like he's not a crazy asset, but Helm at 1.9M for two seasons? That's not a negative value player.

E: Looked at it for fun...

Guess what their P/60 stats were for 2018-19?

I'll let you guess who was who.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
To improve production, he'd have to utilize his linemates. If you actually look at it... he performed pretty much evenly across all of his line combos. Points were spread pretty evenly between lines he shared with Nielsen and Glendening and whoever. Basically hinting that AA was immune to bad linemates but also that he wasn't too much better with good linemates.

And hell yes, I'm thinking about potential over results. Look at what motivated Mantha can do. He can take games over like Franzen used to. Mantha just has more natural skill than AA. AA's skill is basically all physical. It's kind of like how Larkin is NEVER going to be on McDavid's level (and that's okay). McDavid can coast at 60-70% and make all the plays. Larkin has to go 100% or he's dead. Larkin will make all the plays, but he's got to be a bull in a china shop or he'll fall behind.

It's the same deal. Mantha at his best > AA at his best. And also, AA is worth more now than Mantha is worth. So.... it would make sense to deal the guy who is worth more but will likely peak as less than the other way around.

I seriously doubt AA has more value than Mantha in NHL front offices.

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I seriously doubt AA has more value than Mantha in NHL front offices.

I was, for the sake of discussion with Redder there, allowing that AA might have more value now, truthful or not. Basically, if his assertion that AA was better and higher valued now... it's even more imperative to trade him and not Mantha.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
some center from some draft dont work for me when i want to be ready to march 2021/22 , maybe not to the throne but announce our arrival . thats why im pushing for a center prospect trade now
You can push all you want but none of us work for the Red Wings. Try going down to LCA and letting them know about your demands.

Yeah, Darren Helm at 50% doesn't have negative trade value.

Darren Helm on a Luke Glendening contract doesn't have a ton of value. Like he's not a crazy asset, but Helm at 1.9M for two seasons? That's not a negative value player.

E: Looked at it for fun...

Guess what their P/60 stats were for 2018-19?

I'll let you guess who was who.
Helm
Pulj

… and LGD had more points last season than either.

I doubt he gets traded simply because he demanded a trade. Sets a bad precedent for Holland's tenure, so he won't trade Pulj just on principle alone. Just like he let AA sit at home without a contract....

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
You can push all you want but none of us work for the Red Wings. Try going down to LCA and letting them know about your demands.

Helm
Pulj

… and LGD had more points last season than either.

I doubt he gets traded simply because he demanded a trade. Sets a bad precedent for Holland's tenure, so he won't trade Pulj just on principle alone. Just like he let AA sit at home without a contract....
you actually think i meant that literally . i obviously meant pushing it here amongst fellow wing fans

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
you actually think i meant that literally . i obviously meant pushing it here amongst fellow wing fans
I know you did, but there's a couple of posters here that are waaay too active trying to drown out everyone else as if this forum actually dictates what the Wings are going to do. You don't need to repeat the **** two dozen times.

You're a lot like the pro-tank posters here that were complaining that fans were cheering for the team. In the end, the opinion of this board has zero impact on what the Wings do or how they play. Your opinions have no more significance than mine or anyone else's.

If you have facts that we missed, stats or videos to share, that'll be awesome. If you're just gonna repeat the same thing over and over, you're not adding anything to the discussion and you're wasting your time as well as everyone else's. I get that this is a public forum, so you're welcome to do whatever you want and post as much as you want, but it's completely pointless.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
I know you did, but there's a couple of posters here that are waaay too active trying to drown out everyone else as if this forum actually dictates what the Wings are going to do. You don't need to repeat the **** two dozen times.

You're a lot like the pro-tank posters here that were complaining that fans were cheering for the team. In the end, the opinion of this board has zero impact on what the Wings do or how they play. Your opinions have no more significance than mine or anyone else's.

If you have facts that we missed, stats or videos to share, that'll be awesome. If you're just gonna repeat the same thing over and over, you're not adding anything to the discussion and you're wasting your time as well as everyone else's. I get that this is a public forum, so you're welcome to do whatever you want and post as much as you want, but it's completely pointless.
do you understand that im repeating myself in conversations with counter opinions ? have you decided its not right to engage in debate with others over topics we disagree on ? have you forgotten thats what fans do at forums

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
AA's comparables is where he got paid. His holdout was pretty stupid and still is in my opinion given he partially flushed the year coming in late and underperforming for the same pro-rated contract he was offered to start on time. We will see where it goes this time.

Caving to RFAs with no leverage isn't something Yzerman is going to do either. At least I hope not...
1.3 million for a forward scoring at 0.45 points per game?

Who the f*** is that comparable to? That is a tad low.

We ain't talking about his 3 mil a year bridge deal he signed next go around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad