summer trades and signings chat

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Man, would of loved Jake Gardiner for 4 years 4 million. :ha: Oh well.
Wonder if Carolina will try to move another top defender(Faulk) I doubt it. Just speculating.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
@Winger98 ^^We don't wanna be in the basement forever, so you gotta lock up the talent you do have & ice a "competitive team" & sell tickets/merchandise/tv ratings etc. You sell them when you need to & if/when you can steal a top pairing Dman or 2c, you do so.

the thing is how many top2 centers or top D do we see getting dealt, let alone stolen? We've been a basement team for three seasons, this year will likely make four. If Yzerman doesn't see a core being there with what we have, I'm not sure we want to start climbing out of the basement yet. If they are going to make decisions based more on TV ratings and immediate merchandise sales, the Wings are probably sort of screwed.

I'm not saying deal these guys for nothing, but if we're looking at them as expendable or outside of the likely window...dealing them sooner regardless of what it does to the standings might be the best move. I'm not saying it definitely is, but it's something we as a fan base should probably brace ourselves for the possibility of.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
the thing is how many top2 centers or top D do we see getting dealt, let alone stolen? We've been a basement team for three seasons, this year will likely make four. If Yzerman doesn't see a core being there with what we have, I'm not sure we want to start climbing out of the basement yet. If they are going to make decisions based more on TV ratings and immediate merchandise sales, the Wings are probably sort of screwed.

I'm not saying deal these guys for nothing, but if we're looking at them as expendable or outside of the likely window...dealing them sooner regardless of what it does to the standings might be the best move. I'm not saying it definitely is, but it's something we as a fan base should probably brace ourselves for the possibility of.

It's rare, but it happens.
PK Subban this year, for example.
Makes me wonder if we should have been in on Subban.

Reactions: Winger98

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

I see your points, but we only have a 1C, no 2C, no 1D, no 2D, barely a 3D (debateable). So we're already without the hardest core pieces to acquire. If anything, lock 'em up & let AA/Mantha build up their trade value this year if that's the route we need to go. Or, let the kids mature & see where AA/Mantha fit in. I trust SY, though I'd have only signed Flip for 1 yr or not at all, but he probably had to give him 2 yrs.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think Laine wants out from Winnipeg.

Let's make a trade.

Zadina, Mantha + RhD would be ready to go.

On the Red & White game Glendening was our only right-handed forward of all 24 forwards, so I think it's freaking time to start filling that hole.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

Let's make a trade.

On the Red & White game Glendening was our only right-handed forward of all 24 forwards, so I think it's freaking time to start filling that hole.

Eww laine

Is a whiny primadona with an attitude

Stay far away

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Let's make a trade.

And pay him 10+ million? Hard no!

Laine is very one dimensional to date. You can love that dimension, but Zadina and Mantha are going to outscore him together by a lot soon.

If we go for a Jet I want Conner before Laine.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
With Laine complaining about his linemates in Winnipeg not being good enough I don't see him being any happier in Detroit. Connor on the other hand is a great two-way player and gets bonus points for being from Michigan. I'd go after Connor but I think the Jets might want to keep him more than Laine at this point.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I don't like that trade at all for a couple of reasons. Mantha is young and his ceiling is yet unknown, it's looking more and more like Mantha is a budding 30 goa l+ top-line winger. The Wings prospects started late because they were stuck beyond veterans so their development curve is a bit later IMO. I feel like Laine is a more one-dimensional player, in some respects, his game reminds me of Dan Healthy. Pure one-dimensional point producer. I would rather keep someone that came up with the organization developed under Blash sniffed things under Babcock and knows all the red wings players already for so many years now, than someone who is publically issuing statements against their organization and only brings a more one-dimensional game to the table. Don't get me wrong, not saying a goal scorer is a bad thing. Just that a pure goal scorer and only that is not what the wings need at this stage of the rebuild. The wings need complete players that also have an offensive upside commitment to the system and chemistry with the linemates. You would have to add to Mantha to pull the trade-off also. I think the wings lose that deal hands down.

Also if the wings ever did make a trade for a more complete player someone like mantha would need to be the centerpiece. So if the wings trade Mantha they basically blow their wad, that means Laine is your only eilte level trade coming this way. Is Laine really the only add you want considering Mantha is going the other way? Especially when Mantha could sniff or become elite in line with the rebuild schedule?

If Yzerman made the trade I would trust in his vision, but on paper I don't like the trade at all. How much of a tier above Mantha's ceiling is Laine and losing asets in addition to Mantha to bring him aboard hurts too much. I'm out.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
I don't like that trade at all for a couple of reasons. Mantha is young and his ceiling is yet unknown, it's looking more and more like Mantha is a budding 30 goa l+ top-line winger. The Wings prospects started late because they were stuck beyond veterans so their development curve is a bit later IMO.

We all know Mantha's ceiling is 30+30 for 60 points a year if someone can CARRY his lazy ass there.

Also keep in mind forwards typically start regressing offensively in their late 20s. Typically by 27 they have already reached their career high in points.

Mantha is already 25 so these 2 seasons are likely his offensive peak. Gonna be downhill from there.

I also consider his 15 points in 8 games to end the season a statistical anomoly and NOT what he can produce every night.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
We all know Mantha's ceiling is 30+30 for 60 points a year if someone can CARRY his lazy ass there.

Also keep in mind forwards typically start regressing offensively in their late 20s. Typically by 27 they have already reached their career high in points.

Mantha is already 25 so these 2 seasons are likely his offensive peak. Gonna be downhill from there.

I also consider his 15 points in 8 games to end the season a statistical anomoly and NOT what he can produce every night.

Laine is clearly higher end than Mantha as a goalscorer, but Mantha's has three elements that make me very reluctant to trade him
1) Big big guy - always take longer to hit their stride unless ELITE, and skilled big guys tend to stay good longer, especially if they can skate
2) No hard miles on the clock. The way Mantha plays can be irritating in its floatyness, but it will likely allow him to play to his peak level for longer, whatever that peak is
3) Impossible to be sure, but all previous public utterances, his humility and previous contract negotiations suggest he will remain relatively affordable for his output level.

The fact that this proposed deal would require Mantha + + makes it a no for me. Were it straight up I'd be keen as Laine's shot is wowsers, but it would cost us more than its worth given where we are at the mo

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Agreed on the sentiment of trading for Laine is a bad idea. I am happy with our current crew. Especially if it costs us a huge amount to get some superstar. Id rather build a team of 2nd line talent that works hard and is paid fairly.

Laine is very one dimensional, its just his 1 dimension is the highest paid of all.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Laine is clearly higher end than Mantha as a goalscorer, but Mantha's has three elements that make me very reluctant to trade him
1) Big big guy - always take longer to hit their stride unless ELITE, and skilled big guys tend to stay good longer, especially if they can skate
2) No hard miles on the clock. The way Mantha plays can be irritating in its floatyness, but it will likely allow him to play to his peak level for longer, whatever that peak is
3) Impossible to be sure, but all previous public utterances, his humility and previous contract negotiations suggest he will remain relatively affordable for his output level.

The fact that this proposed deal would require Mantha + + makes it a no for me. Were it straight up I'd be keen as Laine's shot is wowsers, but it would cost us more than its worth given where we are at the mo
besides big add tough which is huge . a big and tough excellent sniper with bulk and reach that can also get up ice with solid wheels . i want mantha locked up with a 8X$ contract

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Idk, I didn't hate the idea, Zadina/Rasmussen/Bowey(Filler Dmen/Defensive prospect)/2nd round pick. Don't love throwing Mantha in that situation.

I can't pay Laine more than 7.5 million(if I run a team/own one) so it's not even a discussion if he wants 10 million or whatever.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

My bet is Mantha passes that “ceiling” as a goal scorer this year, health obviously being the only factor that is unpredictable.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
besides big add tough which is huge . a big and tough excellent sniper with bulk and reach that can also get up ice with solid wheels . i want mantha locked up with a 8X$ contract
Brock Boeser just signed for (3 years, $5.875M AAV) & has proven more than Mantha. 140 gp 59 g 57 a 116 pts 38 pim -7
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]

Granted it's coming off his ELC, but low PIM's & career 67.9 pts/82 gp is awesome. -7 is decent for the dumpster fire VAN has been the last few years. I'm thinking we get Mantha for $6M x 5-6yrs

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
It's more of an opportunity than money for Laine.

I think you're right there too. In my own little opinion... He wants to go to a bigger market, and possibly out of Canada.

If a team like the Jets wants to keep it's stud players they have to do risky business an pay guys early.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Brock Boeser just signed for (3 years, $5.875M AAV) & has proven more than Mantha. 140 gp 59 g 57 a 116 pts 38 pim -7
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]

Granted it's coming off his ELC, but low PIM's & career 67.9 pts/82 gp is awesome. -7 is decent for the dumpster fire VAN has been the last few years. I'm thinking we get Mantha for $6M x 5-6yrs
Boeser's contract doesn't contain any UFA years. If Mantha signs something like that, he's doing the Wings a favor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad