Summer Olympics

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Japan is going to lose billions on these Olympics with no fans.

The IOC will get their money as long as the games are on TV worldwide and Japan did not want to lose face so the games go on.

The IOC makes FIFA look honest :help:

Name me ONE city where hosting the Summer Games has been positive in the last 50 years - Maybe Seoul in 1988, Barcelona in 1992, Sydney in 2000 or London 2012.

Montreal 1976, Atlanta 1996, Athens 2004, and Rio 2016 were disasters.

But be honest - when we hear this music we tend to go gaga

I do love that theme music though.

John Williams is one of my favorite composers. I'm a bit of a soundtrack nerd. Well I guess technically I should say movie score nerd.

What You Don't Know About The Iconic Olympic Theme Song

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Japan is going to lose billions on these Olympics with no fans.

The IOC will get their money as long as the games are on TV worldwide and Japan did not want to lose face so the games go on.

The IOC makes FIFA look honest :help:

Name me ONE city where hosting the Summer Games has been positive in the last 50 years - Maybe Seoul in 1988, Barcelona in 1992, Sydney in 2000 or London 2012.

Montreal 1976, Atlanta 1996, Athens 2004, and Rio 2016 were disasters.

But be honest - when we hear this music we tend to go gaga

Los Angeles 1984

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Not anyone on the 4 team members plus 2 individual gymnasts. Simone is good to go knock on wood.

All 6 are vaccinated as are the coaches.

There is one un-vaccinated member in the group of alternates who many wanted left off the team but they took her any way.

Reactions: sooshii

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I believe Kara is vaccinated but her roommate is not.

I hope she recovers quickly.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

I love seeing the girls smiling and having fun.

They are saying the girl who tested positive, Kara Eaker, has no symptoms and is doing ok. Her roommate and training partner has tested negative so far.

Her coach also said officials looked at the bed spacing and if they were wearing masks and they were.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
not a summer Olympics guy but I usually tune into the odd event every so often. Going to be truly odd for these athletes not having any fans in the stands but I was listening to Mark Tewskbury on CBC the other day and he said something that made total sense when he said typically, in many if not most of these sports, other than the Olympics, these athletes tend to compete in front of family and friends only on the best of days

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

You know it! Aussie-style BBQ and beers at my place for the whole HF Family in 2032 :DD

upload_2021-7-21_21-32-57.png

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
I know there aren’t supposed to be spectators, but Bruce & Patti are going. :sarcasm:
If that's true, and they wouldn't allow the deaf and blind Paralympic swimmer to have her mom who iś also her assistant, forcing her to drop.out than there won't be a second of Olympics I will watch. IOC is not going to make any advertising money off my tv.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Yeah, that's pretty mind-boggling. And especially to deny a deaf/blind individual the ability to have the person who always helps them.
It definitely sucks but I have a feeling we aren't getting the full story here.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
If that's true, and they wouldn't allow the deaf and blind Paralympic swimmer to have her mom who iś also her assistant, forcing her to drop.out than there won't be a second of Olympics I will watch. IOC is not going to make any advertising money off my tv.
You missed the sarcasm emoji.

Bruce and his wife are not allowed to go and this article says they will be home watching her

Bruce Springsteen's equestrian daughter says parents are 'so proud' she made the Olympic team | Daily Mail Online

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Reactions: BMC and Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I saw it, but apparently at the ass crack of dawn before I've finished first cup of coffee it doesn't register as it should LOL Glad they're not really going to try and find a way to get there.
All good :)

Seeing how difficult it has been for the journalists to get in to cover the games, there is no way in hell the Springsteen's would be able to attend without someone crying foul and rightfully so.

What is happening to the swimmer is inexcusable and flat out wrong but I feel like we aren't getting the full story and that it may not be as sensational as it has been made out to be.

Of course anything is possible with the USOPC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad