Summer Olympics

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
I love the horsey events.....
Jessica Springsteen (Bruce & Patti’s daughter) was named to the US Equestrian Team, so I’ll be watching.
A970E012-D56F-4AF0-9382-C44967D4780E.jpeg

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
The first Olympics I truly remember were the Winter Games in 1972- I was home with the flu. NBC(?) was televising it from Japan. I remember 3 Japanese ski jumpers finished 1-2-3 in the competition, talk about winning one for the home team! I was hooked on the Games after that, I never missed one until 2000. I don't know what happened, I just lost interest. Now I'll tune it for a specific sport or athlete but I don't watch them like I used to. *Shrugs*

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
These games are probably going to suck. No fans, tape delay from East Asia, etc. I'm sure the opening ceremonies and parade of nations will be subdued if not altogether stripped down to bare bones due to distancing. There will be no sense of the liveliness of the host city as usual.

But they just have to get it out of the way and move on. You can't push it back any further, just let everyone compete if they can, hand out medals, and prepare for Paris 2024.

Sucks for Tokyo. Most host cities end up losing money due to hosting. Like Athens got pretty much bankrupted by the 04 games and that's with a full complement of tourists and broadcasting crew to contribute to the local economy. But Tokyo taking on all this infrastructure only to have no spectators, delays, etc. They're screwed.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
These games are probably going to suck. No fans, tape delay from East Asia, etc. I'm sure the opening ceremonies and parade of nations will be subdued if not altogether stripped down to bare bones due to distancing. There will be no sense of the liveliness of the host city as usual.

But they just have to get it out of the way and move on. You can't push it back any further, just let everyone compete if they can, hand out medals, and prepare for Paris 2024.

Sucks for Tokyo. Most host cities end up losing money due to hosting. Like Athens got pretty much bankrupted by the 04 games and that's with a full complement of tourists and broadcasting crew to contribute to the local economy. But Tokyo taking on all this infrastructure only to have no spectators, delays, etc. They're screwed.

It took Montreal 40 years to pay off the 1976 Olympics and they already had most of the infrastructure in place. They used the Forum for gymnastics and basketball, a smaller hockey rink for boxing but the stadium....................

Olympic Stadium (Montreal) - Wikipedia

Reactions: BMC

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

I've thought for a long time that the IOC should have a permanent site for the winter games and a permanent site for the summer games. But that would mean a lot less corruption, graft, bribery etc so it won't happen.

Also I once watched the official documentary of the 1964 Olympic Games that were held in Tokyo- it was an excellent film (even with subtitles!). In addition to the venues the Japanese took the opportunity to demolish & rebuild parts of Tokyo, it was a massive urban renewal project. I'm sure it was worth every yen they spent. I doubt if that can be said of the 2020 Games.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I've thought for a long time that the IOC should have a permanent site for the winter games and a permanent site for the summer games. But that would mean a lot less corruption, graft, bribery etc so it won't happen.

Also I once watched the official documentary of the 1964 Olympic Games that were held in Tokyo- it was an excellent film (even with subtitles!). In addition to the venues the Japanese took the opportunity to demolish & rebuild parts of Tokyo, it was a massive urban renewal project. I'm sure it was worth every yen they spent. I doubt if that can be said of the 2020 Games.

Well, the US Air Force had taken care of most of the demolition in that case.

my favorite fact about the 1964 Olympics is that Cary Grant's last film role took place in a movie about it.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
It took Montreal 40 years to pay off the 1976 Olympics and they already had most of the infrastructure in place. They used the Forum for gymnastics and basketball, a smaller hockey rink for boxing but the stadium....................

Olympic Stadium (Montreal) - Wikipedia
I went to some of the preliminary gymnastics in Montreal in 1976. We were camping all over Quebec and just went in for a couple of days. I remember seeing the village where the folks were staying that were competing. I remember the guys with the machine guns outside of the village.

It was because during the 1972 Olympics Islamic terrorists kidnapped Israeli Olympic athletes and coaches in Munich, a siege which ultimately resulted in the slaughter of the Israelis.

71527e0f9565cc301379b14641af60ca.jpg

We then went up to Lac Saint-Jean.

I remember the worst thunder storm I have ever encountered on that trip. We were in a tent.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Blogs | Sports Video Group

NBC will have supplemental cameras at many venues in Toyko operated remotely from Connecticut. This was first done in South Korea in 2018 and they are going to rely on Olympic Broadcast Service more than they ever have.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

It is unfortunate for Tokyo, but their own internal poor response to the virus, lack of vaccinations is an internal problem

In terms of Athens. Yes their were cost overruns, and some venues that quickly went to waste, but a massive part of the cost was desperately needed infrastructure costs. But to say it was the reason for bankrupting the Greek economy was trendy at one point but completely ridiculous in truth. realistically if you put a blame pie for the Greek Financial Crisis, Olympic costs would represent less than 5%

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

o_O

I can't imagine the hours of practice that go into learning how to do that. Specifically, the precise point at which you let go. If you're off by just a little you could wipe out half the spectators lol.

I also have no idea how she stands up straight after spinning like that.

I feel certain I would do myself major bodily harm attempting this sport :laugh:

So I ended up going down a youtube rabbit hole (thank you, insomnia) and came across this. The part around the 9:00 mark where they start actually trying to throw the hammer cracked me up.

Unfortunately the guy teaching them didn't qualify for Tokyo. :( Too bad, he seems like a good guy.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
The first Olympics I truly remember were the Winter Games in 1972- I was home with the flu. NBC(?) was televising it from Japan. I remember 3 Japanese ski jumpers finished 1-2-3 in the competition, talk about winning one for the home team! I was hooked on the Games after that, I never missed one until 2000. I don't know what happened, I just lost interest. Now I'll tune it for a specific sport or athlete but I don't watch them like I used to. *Shrugs*
1972 was a little too early for me. I was 4. I do remember pretending to be Mark Spitz in the bathtub and splashing water all over the bathroom floor....

My first real "Holy Shit" Olympic memory was The Kaiser winning the downhill in Kitzbuhel in 1976. I grew up on skis and from that moment on, I wanted to be Franz F***ing Klammer.

Man, that guy had a pair of brass nads......

Bob Beattie and Frank Gifford were the absolute best at calling ski racing.....

Last edited:

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
No spectators allowed and I am shocked that only 15% of the Japanese population has been vaccinated

Japan to declare virus emergency lasting through Olympics
My GF's parents are out there, they just got their first shots within the past couple of weeks. Basically it seems like a lot of bureaucracy regarding getting the vaccines out, in addition to prioritizing the Olympics slowed down the vaccination process. They are about 6 months behind us in vaccination schedule

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
My GF's parents are out there, they just got their first shots within the past couple of weeks. Basically it seems like a lot of bureaucracy regarding getting the vaccines out, in addition to prioritizing the Olympics slowed down the vaccination process. They are about 6 months behind us in vaccination schedule

the Japanese Health Authority - PMDA - is the longest of any country to approve any drug.

Thats been my experience over 40 years.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
1972 was a little too early for me. I was 4. I do remember pretending to be Mark Spitz in the bathtub and splashing water all over the bathroom floor....

My first real "Holy Shit" Olympic memory was The Kaiser winning the downhill in Kitzbuhel in 1976. I grew up on skis and from that moment on, I wanted to be Franz F***ing Klammer.

Man, that guy had a pair of brass nads......

Bob Beattie and Frank Gifford were the absolute best at calling ski racing.....

I remember that- he was the last skier in the top group, he had to beat Gustav Theoni's time to win the gold so there was no holding back, it was do or die!

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Artificial crowd noise was one of the hot trends during the height of the pandemic, but Solomon says that NBC will not be adding artificial crowd noise to the audio mix that America hears.

“We’re told that some of the sports venues may experiment with ambient crowd noise to generate atmosphere for the athletes,” she says. “That will be a work in progress, and you’ll hear that on the mix that NBC uses.”

With 339 distinct events, all which Solomon says have a different cadence and pace, it is impossible to be authentic and reflect the spirit and sound of each event.

“For example, in the breaststroke races, knowing that fans whistle during those races, we didn’t want to create an inauthentic experience,” she says. “We’ve pivoted to know that we’ve got access to all of these fields-of-play microphones. So, we really feel like we can enhance the sounds of the Games. But you will also hear any crowd presence that is being injected into the venue. You’ll hear it as the athletes hear it.”

NBC Olympics Embraces Watch Parties To Bring Athletes, Family, Friends Together

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
the Japanese Health Authority - PMDA - is the longest of any country to approve any drug.

Thats been my experience over 40 years.
Yea, that was the feeling I was getting when talking to them (the whole bureaucracy bit), but definitely seems true.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Yea, that was the feeling I was getting when talking to them (the whole bureaucracy bit), but definitely seems true.

Japan is going to lose billions on these Olympics with no fans.

The IOC will get their money as long as the games are on TV worldwide and Japan did not want to lose face so the games go on.

The IOC makes FIFA look honest :help:

Name me ONE city where hosting the Summer Games has been positive in the last 50 years - Maybe Seoul in 1988, Barcelona in 1992, Sydney in 2000 or London 2012.

Montreal 1976, Atlanta 1996, Athens 2004, and Rio 2016 were disasters.

But be honest - when we hear this music we tend to go gaga

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad