OT - NO POLITICS Summer is ovah

Status
Not open for further replies.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Summer is definitely over but I love the fall, this is the trail we try to walk daily. We will walk early so we can watch the game at 1:00.

1666449117236.png

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
my loves, what is the real estate market like in the Boston area?

I make a quarter million (CAD) here in Toronto, and I can't buy a house lol - is the market there as ridiculous as it is here?

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

I make a quarter million (CAD) here in Toronto, and I can't buy a house lol - is the market there as ridiculous as it is here?

Yes. Extremely. There are some gems you could find. But living in town is very very ficky and expensive. Lots tend to look a little bit outside the city if they work in Boston because it's a bit cheaper.

Redfin and Zillow can show you!

Reactions: NeelyDan

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Cigna is doing a bang up job making me miss Blue Cross insurance. We’ll approve 7 visits but the other 3 aren’t medically necessary because you don’t need them. Im tired of their “doctors” saying that either im faking a bulging disc (that stopped once the MRI report came in) or that because I have some range of motion it means I don’t need PT. I swear they get people who have zero experience and they just pick and chose who gets covered and who doesn’t.

You think after an mri and 6 shots in the very low part of my back that it would click that this is serious but nope.

Sorry I’m just frustrated and in pain

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Yes. Extremely. There are some gems you could find. But living in town is very very ficky and expensive. Lots tend to look a little bit outside the city if they work in Boston because it's a bit cheaper.

Redfin and Zillow can show you!

*Laughs in Californian*

Seriously though, the market out here is ridiculous. Our house cost like twice as much as what I could get in New Hampshire. If it were up to me I'd leave and move back to NH or even a better cost of living state like Arizona or Texas (but not a fan of the weather), but the lady doesn't want to move away from her family so I'm stuck.

GahdenRinkRat

Bruins' Den Mother
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2008
By the Dirty Watah
*Laughs in Californian*

Seriously though, the market out here is ridiculous. Our house cost like twice as much as what I could get in New Hampshire. If it were up to me I'd leave and move back to NH or even a better cost of living state like Arizona or Texas (but not a fan of the weather), but the lady doesn't want to move away from her family so I'm stuck.
Just to add some info, a few years ago, real estate market analysis rated the Jamaica Plain neighborhood of Boston ( where I live❤️) as second most expensive region for new home buyers in the 48 contiguous states only behind the SF Bay Area. Good news for us longtime home owners, not good for those looking to buy, and (worse) pricing out low and medium income families who traditionally populated the neighborhood. Recent example: 753 sq ft condo selling for $825,000….now that is ridiculous.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Cigna is doing a bang up job making me miss Blue Cross insurance. We’ll approve 7 visits but the other 3 aren’t medically necessary because you don’t need them. Im tired of their “doctors” saying that either im faking a bulging disc (that stopped once the MRI report came in) or that because I have some range of motion it means I don’t need PT. I swear they get people who have zero experience and they just pick and chose who gets covered and who doesn’t.

You think after an mri and 6 shots in the very low part of my back that it would click that this is serious but nope.

Sorry to hear about your pain. Insurance companies are awful to deal with, so frustrating when they are raking in the money. I hope you can get it sorted and that you can find relief from the pain.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

Yeah, insurance companies are frustrating with that. If my doctor says I need something, that should be good enough. How do their "doctors" or decision makers who have never met me get to say different?

Probably boils down to $$ like everything else these days

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Just went out to the garage to charge the kids drift carts. Due to kitchen remodel and all the cabinets and appliances being stored in the garage i only had one plug to access. Brought the other kart inside to charge. My back/hip is jacked up so it was a struggle. Turns out this kart is fully charged and i didn’t wanna leave it inside cuz i know damn well the twins will wake up at 5am and crash it down the steps. So i start carrying it outside and hear lots of crashing in the yard and in the trees. No thanks. Left the kart on the back porch. I’m not about to be attacked by unknown garanimals in my debilitated state.

• Haha
Reactions: BMC and sooshii

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Just went out to the garage to charge the kids drift carts. Due to kitchen remodel and all the cabinets and appliances being stored in the garage i only had one plug to access. Brought the other kart inside to charge. My back/hip is jacked up so it was a struggle. Turns out this kart is fully charged and i didn’t wanna leave it inside cuz i know damn well the twins will wake up at 5am and crash it down the steps. So i start carrying it outside and hear lots of crashing in the yard and in the trees. No thanks. Left the kart on the back porch. I’m not about to be attacked by unknown garanimals in my debilitated state.
Some angry bear or something lol. We had a rogue bear come thru our backyard middle of the night in early in the summer and for some reason it got pissed at the chiminea in the backyard, our security camera has it destroying it for no reason.. the video is actually kinda hilarious.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Just to add some info, a few years ago, real estate market analysis rated the Jamaica Plain neighborhood of Boston ( where I live❤️) as second most expensive region for new home buyers in the 48 contiguous states only behind the SF Bay Area. Good news for us longtime home owners, not good for those looking to buy, and (worse) pricing out low and medium income families who traditionally populated the neighborhood. Recent example: 753 sq ft condo selling for $825,000….now that is ridiculous.
Grew up there in a mostly white Irish Catholic neighborhood 2 family where families would have a minimum of 4 kids. Busing changed everything and most families moved to the suburbs. We hung on to the house from 1963-2012. Bought it for 13K,sold it for 400K,it's now 2 condos valued at 1.1M.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

I stayed once in an AirBnB in Jamaica Plain. Nice little neighborhood I thought!

House prices are going crazy in many parts of Australia currently too. We moved into a new-build in 2018. In 4 years the value of our property and the ones around us has almost doubled. That's ridiculous.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Doing the tourist Halloween crap in Salem next few days. If anyone has lunch or dinner suggestions near the Hawthorne Hotel Id be much obliged.
Walking preferred. Once I park I aint moving. 😁

You’re a brave man.

Ledger is awesome and in a really cool building, used to be a bank.

Finz is also a nice choice. My bridal shower was there several moons ago.

Reactions: Gee Wally

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
You’re a brave man.

Ledger is awesome and in a really cool building, used to be a bank.

Finz is also a nice choice. My bridal shower was there several moons ago.

nah, ever since the Bride got sick I told her to let me know stuff she wanted to do or hadnt done in ages.

Disney world at Christmas time check
Weekend in Chatham- check
Foliage in White Mountains - check
Halloween time in Salem - check tomorrow. ( unfortunately I couldnt gat weekend lodgings.)

Thinking about weekend Christmas time in Ogunquit. We’ll see.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Two of my old college roommates that I haven't seen in.....*checks notes*....uh, over 20 years 😳 will be in town next month, just for a day. Really excited to see them!

I need to dig out my shoebox of pictures from back in those days. Should be good for a couple laughs :laugh:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Trying to sleep and my ceiling fan is making a noise like a kid on a pogo stick

Skwunch eeee skwunch eeee skwunch eeee

But I also can't sleep without the fan on.

My Monday has apparently decided to start on Sunday night :rolleyes:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
It's crazy how much a simple 30 mins walk can do for your mental health...wellbeing
I miss my morning walks but the sunrise is just not conducive to a morning walk right now. I could try at lunch but I'd be cutting it close. I got out to my favorite spot this weekend and did a little over a mile each day which is a small victory but part of my recovery for my back.

I am looking into joining the Y again so I can start swimming at 5am again. Even a half hour in the pool is fantastic exercise.

I am so happy I have a walking route planned out for when I go out to see my family. I am looking forward to my walks and may even bring the furry monster (the dog) with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad