OT: Summer Fitness Thread

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
I’m a big believer in rowing machines…. First, it’s a total body workout and the variety of workouts you can do is surprisingly large. For example, some days I’ll take it easy and do low heart rate steady state rows, and other days I’ll really push it doing peak HR intervals. It’s up to you and what you need. Depending on which one you get they don’t have that large of a footprint as you can see from the picture below.

I have a Concept 2 and it’s generally accepted these are top of the line but Hydrows are also excellent and interactive. View attachment 468075
Rowing machines are great. I have the one with water resistance. I also strap bands for extra resistance.

Doing physio to recover from my knee injury, it’s expensive and I’m deciding to buy home gym equipment would be the better investment. Any of you guys own a Peloton bike? Bowflex machine? Free weights? What are those of you with a home gyms setups? What do you recommend?

I have absolute freak genetics and put on muscle ridiculously easy. But I’m not very tall and have the face of a 12 year old so I prefer to be slim as bulky muscles look weird on me. I also feel I play hockey better at a lighter weight. I love the feeling of lifting, but I need to do a lot of cardio to ensure I don’t get bulky
You should check out Athleanx on YouTube. He has a ton of at home workouts and is a physical therapist. So he probably has exercises for the knee. I know he has a few videos on back strengthening and stretches for injuries.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Rowing machines are great. I have the one with water resistance. I also strap bands for extra resistance.

You should check out Athleanx on YouTube. He has a ton of at home workouts and is a physical therapist. So he probably has exercises for the knee. I know he has a few videos on back strengthening and stretches for injuries.

And bonus that his cohost Jesse Laico is a huge Rangers fan!

Reactions: Cmox

Cygnus 2112

Aug 7, 2014
Long Island
So I’m 5’5”, 140 and I’m trying to get a bit more muscle mass/tone in my upper body. I got sucked into the Orange Theory cult which isn’t bad because you get weights and cardio and you don’t have to think. Just do. Yeah it may not be a hardcore gym but at least I’m active. I’d like to do protein shakes but I feel like they’re unpalatable. Plus I usually get to the classes in the evening before dinner….I don’t want to get all full with the shakes when I have real food is like to eat. I sound like a Kardashian lol.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
So I’m 5’5”, 140 and I’m trying to get a bit more muscle mass/tone in my upper body. I got sucked into the Orange Theory cult which isn’t bad because you get weights and cardio and you don’t have to think. Just do. Yeah it may not be a hardcore gym but at least I’m active. I’d like to do protein shakes but I feel like they’re unpalatable. Plus I usually get to the classes in the evening before dinner….I don’t want to get all full with the shakes when I have real food is like to eat. I sound like a Kardashian lol.
If your goal is to gain mass, the cardio could be counter-productive for you. Cardio does not put on mass and muscle if that is what you want. It can even discourage muscle growth. You can follow a good, efficient lifting program and you will get noob gains quick.

Let me know if you have questions about a good starting program

. Since the start of the pandemic in March 2020, I went from 5'9" 210 lbs with about 28% body fat to 168 lbs and 20% body fat, with a ways to go. Zero dedicated cardio. Yes, it is the reverse of what you are looking to do (gain instead of lose), but I used protein shakes daily for the past 2 and a half years (hydrolyzed, 25grams a scoop, 110 calories a scoop) to good effect. Quality protein shakes are a great way to get the calories and protein you need to build mass.

You should aim for between 112 to 140 grams of quality protein a day, with around 2500 calories give or take a day to gain a solid 1lb a week. No matter what lift and lift safely!

Reactions: Cygnus 2112

Cygnus 2112

Aug 7, 2014
Long Island
If your goal is to gain mass, the cardio could be counter-productive for you. Cardio does not put on mass and muscle if that is what you want. It can even discourage muscle growth. You can follow a good, efficient lifting program and you will get noob gains quick.

Let me know if you have questions about a good starting program

. Since the start of the pandemic in March 2020, I went from 5'9" 210 lbs with about 28% body fat to 168 lbs and 20% body fat, with a ways to go. Zero dedicated cardio. Yes, it is the reverse of what you are looking to do (gain instead of lose), but I used protein shakes daily for the past 2 and a half years (hydrolyzed, 25grams a scoop, 110 calories a scoop) to good effect. Quality protein shakes are a great way to get the calories and protein you need to build mass.

You should aim for between 112 to 140 grams of quality protein a day, with around 2500 calories give or take a day to gain a solid 1lb a week. No matter what lift and lift safely!
Thanks for the advice. I’m also interested in overall health and aerobic exercise is key….lifting won’t give me those benefits. So what’s the answer? Or is it one or the other?

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Thanks for the advice. I’m also interested in overall health and aerobic exercise is key….lifting won’t give me those benefits. So what’s the answer? Or is it one or the other?
If your goal is building mass and tone, make lifting your *focus*. You dont need to cut cardio if you want the conditioning factor in play, but muscle overload heavily contributes to your overall health.

For example, depending on how much time you have of course, if this was your routine:
Day 1: Push
Day 2: Pull
Day 3: Rest/Cardio
Day 4: Legs
Day 5: Push
Day 6: Rest/Cardio
Day 7: Pull

Something like that, not everyone needs or can swing a push/pull/legs/bro split, but you get the idea.

*Edit* lifting can get your heart pumping too, don't forget that. And sports! Personally I don't like bikes or running, but squash, hockey, basketball etc is a great sub.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Lifting gives a ton of health benefits. If you structure it properly, you can get the cardiovascular benefits as well. But if you like lifting and cardio separately you can do 3x weights then 2x cardio.

Go 140-160g of protein.

Less body fat and more muscle = improved overall health.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
@Cygnus 2112 You should do your protein shakes immediately or shortly after you work out when your muscles are in hypertrophy. Or, eat proteins via a meal. But, you do have to spread out the 100+ grams over the course of the day.

I lost some mass over the past 3 months being off weights and I wasn't big to begin with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cygnus 2112

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Exercise > Diet
At your age, maybe. You cannot "out exercise your fork" when you start to get older. Cannot. But if you are looking to gain, you can't grow right without eating right.

@will1066 having the shake right or soon after doesn't really move the needle, and beginners shouldn't have to worry about those details. But I agree it should be spaced out throughout the day.

I take my first protein shake inside cold brew coffee in the morning with a scoop of creatine monohydrate. Then my 2nd shake is after gym, but because of habit rather than utility. Fast digesting carbs might be more effective right after a workout then the protein shake. It doesn't hurt of course.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
At your age, maybe. You cannot "out exercise your fork" when you start to get older. Cannot. But if you are looking to gain, you can't grow right without eating right.

@will1066 having the shake right or soon after doesn't really move the needle, and beginners shouldn't have to worry about those details. But I agree it should be spaced out throughout the day.

I take my first protein shake inside cold brew coffee in the morning with a scoop of creatine monohydrate. Then my 2nd shake is after gym, but because of habit rather than utility. Fast digesting carbs might be more effective right after a workout then the protein shake. It doesn't hurt of course.

Just buy a carb powder and add it to your post workout protein. Best of both worlds. I do my first protein in coffee too. Granted, since we got half way through the pregnancy to today I’ve slowly gotten into the worst shape of my adult life, but now that he’s almost a month and we’re getting the hang of things, I plan to remedy that. I should be looking much better than when you saw me at the HFNYR meetup lol I reject the dad bod. Had a solid lift today. Diet has been the problem with time feeling like it’s non existent for things like cooking and meal prep.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
@Cygnus 2112 You should do your protein shakes immediately or shortly after you work out when your muscles are in hypertrophy. Or, eat proteins via a meal. But, you do have to spread out the 100+ grams over the course of the day.

I lost some mass over the past 3 months being off weights and I wasn't big to begin with.

It really is wild how quickly it comes off. I froze my gym membership for this month because I was essentially out of state for 2/3 of it. I've been doing nothing but cardio since I got back a few days ago and my arm mass is all but gone.

Reactions: will1066

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Just buy a carb powder and add it to your post workout protein. Best of both worlds.
Time is money!
Diet has been the problem with time feeling like it’s non existent for things like cooking and meal prep.
It is hard for some to stay committed when they don't have kids, understandable to fall off. But clearly you understand prioritizing your health is good for HIS health too.

It really is wild how quickly it comes off. I froze my gym membership for this month because I was essentially out of state for 2/3 of it. I've been doing nothing but cardio since I got back a few days ago and my arm mass is all but gone.
And equally wild how quick it can bounce right back! I had to take it really easy in 2022 leading up to a cortisone shot for ac joint issues in May and my pre January size came back in almost a month.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Time is money!

It is hard for some to stay committed when they don't have kids, understandable to fall off. But clearly you understand prioritizing your health is good for HIS health too.

And equally wild how quick it can bounce right back! I had to take it really easy in 2022 leading up to a cortisone shot for ac joint issues in May and my pre January size came back in almost a month.
Hope you're right as I try to get back on the wagon.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Hope you're right as I try to get back on the wagon.
Depends on how long it has been, and your level prior. Muscle memory is a weird thing, but you can forget, and tendons and shit need to get reacquainted if it's been a beefy extended absence. Also depends on muscle group. If you are on the wrong side of 35, be careful! I am a sack of injuries that I need to work around.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Depends on how long it has been, and your level prior. Muscle memory is a weird thing, but you can forget, and tendons and shit need to get reacquainted if it's been a beefy extended absence. Also depends on muscle group. If you are on the wrong side of 35, be careful! I am a sack of injuries that I need to work around.
Been 14 weeks, so the muscle memory should still be there, even if I'm on the wrong side of 35. Only thing is the wrist/hand that I've been nursing

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Been 14 weeks, so the muscle memory should still be there, even if I'm on the wrong side of 35. Only thing is the wrist/hand that I've been nursing
Yeah that isn't too long at all. Listen to your body though, there is a difference between good pain and injury pain. I pushed through injury pain thinking I was superman and now I have to deal with bad arthritis and chronic tennis elbow. If it feels wrong, it is wrong! Even at our age, we still have a ton of time left, so make sure your wrist and hand heals properly. PT is good for injuries, and it's a workout in and of itself.

Reactions: will1066

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Very vague statement, Vitaly.

But in terms of pure weight loss for example, that’s obviously false. Much easier to make a debit in calories by restricting them than having to burn them.
You see more fit people at McDonalds than fat people at the gym or on a sports team

Idk, my anecdotal experience is 100% this even though I read “experts” claim it’s the opposite. I never see fat people jogging by my house. I play hockey in multiple leagues with tons of people and barely ever see anyone fat, especially not somebody morbidly obese. Even though we all eat like shit, half of them are having a bunch of beer after games, etc. Athletes eat a lot of junk food. Watch bodybuilders or fitness ppl on YouTube and see what they eat in a day, insane amount of calories.

Exercise is basically natures antidepressant, it’s so much fun and it gives me a rush of euphoria. Not even just playing hockey, but any cardio or lifting does too. I hate dieting, so does almost every human. I always see fat people go on crash diets and fail miserably, never see them start training to join an organized sport or take up a serious fitness routine. The reason they’re fat is because they’re lazy.

I think it’s a lot more fun and better for your mental health and general motivation to eat the same or slightly cut back while joining a gym or sports team, than counting every calorie on an app and being so restricted and not enjoying foods you like.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Yeah that isn't too long at all. Listen to your body though, there is a difference between good pain and injury pain. I pushed through injury pain thinking I was superman and now I have to deal with bad arthritis and chronic tennis elbow. If it feels wrong, it is wrong! Even at our age, we still have a ton of time left, so make sure your wrist and hand heals properly. PT is good for injuries, and it's a workout in and of itself.
I would do grip/forearm training for tennis elbow. And make sure you hit the biceps with three different hand positions (palms up, neutral, palms down). That should alleviate the problem.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Very vague statement, Vitaly.

But in terms of pure weight loss for example, that’s obviously false. Much easier to make a debit in calories by restricting them than having to burn them.
The people who chase calories in vs calories out usually have a hard time long term. I just get everyone on board with trying to get jacked, make better food choices/eat your damn protein, and prioritize sleeping.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad