OT: Summer Fitness Thread

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
As I am still working out of the office (am the only one there), I find myself to be the proprietor of the only functioning small gym in the tri-state. It is not at all ideal, but the dumbbells go up to 30 pounds. Have not used the machines to work out in a very, very long time. But there is stuff that can be done. Unfortunately, I still have to do them one-armed as I am still recovering from triceps surgery. Lots of one armed clean and jerks and snatches. Thankfully my box posts daily home wods, so am able to get something in. Not ideal, but this is not an ideal time.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
As I am still working out of the office (am the only one there), I find myself to be the proprietor of the only functioning small gym in the tri-state. It is not at all ideal, but the dumbbells go up to 30 pounds. Have not used the machines to work out in a very, very long time. But there is stuff that can be done. Unfortunately, I still have to do them one-armed as I am still recovering from triceps surgery. Lots of one armed clean and jerks and snatches. Thankfully my box posts daily home wods, so am able to get something in. Not ideal, but this is not an ideal time.

I would strongly caution you against doing this.

You're going to become so dominant with that arm when performing lifts that require both arms once you heal and can lead to a myriad of other problems.

Work the f*** out of your legs/core instead.

Side note: Crossfit is not my cup of tea but I completed a Murph the other day in 28:54. Holy f*** did I hate myself for actually going through with it and I'm STILL sore AF.

Reactions: The Sweetness

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Side note: Crossfit is not my cup of tea but I completed a Murph the other day in 28:54. Holy f*** did I hate myself for actually going through with it and I'm STILL sore AF.
Whoa. You did it in under 30 minutes? That is absolutely amazing. I hate running and the two miles is my undoing. I struggle to finish it in an hour.

We do Murph every Memorial Day weekend.

Professional curiosity.....did you do it RX (with the weighted vest)?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Whoa. You did it in under 30 minutes? That is absolutely amazing. I hate running and the two miles is my undoing. I struggle to finish it in an hour.

We to Murph every Memorial Day weekend.

Professional curiosity.....did you do it RX (with the weighted vest)?

f***KK no. The volume of pull ups is what has me hating life right now. I think I would have quit if I had worn a vest.

I've been running a ton recently. I live on the 32nd floor of my building and I run from the 1st floor and up twice (three times if Im feeling good) every other day. I've always hated running as well but it was more of a built in mental excuse that I always set up for myself.

But the savages who post low 20 minute times have my respect. It's a really, really, really demanding workout.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
if a murph is a mile run, 100 pull ups, 200 pushups, 300 squats, and then a mile run, it seems utterly insane. 100 pull ups would take me forever right now lol.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
if a murph is a mile run, 100 pull ups, 200 pushups, 300 squats, and then a mile run, it seems utterly insane. 100 pull ups would take me forever right now lol.

It is, and the sheer volume of repetitions is unbelievably taxing on the body, its not something someone can just get up from the couch and do or something anyone should be doing on the regular.

But from what I understand, you can split the volume into what ever rep/set range you want. I split it by doing 10 sets of 10/20/30. I changed the grip on my pull ups after a while because a. I didn't want to hurt my self and b. I wanted the variety. I'm not sure what the rules are about that so its possible I cheated a bit.

I got a bit cocky after set 5 and was questioning my life decisions by set 7.

Reactions: ecemleafs

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I've done 100 pull ups, 200 push ups, 300 squats with runs at the start and finish. We used to run around the block so not sure of the distance. Pretty sure it took me longer than 30 minutes. Unless you can pump out 25+ pull ups on the first try you are really going to struggle. My PB is somewhere around 12-14 from memory, strict form (been doing weighted pull ups last 3-4 years). Push ups aren't too bad. Squats you can breeze through them but the post run is a killer.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I run, ride the bike, lift weights and and added 500 pushups once every 3 days yet Spring cleanup yard work somehow has me stiff as a board.

I feel like I trained for a combine yet my body is beat and recovering like I played a football game

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
i did a variety of exercises yesterday. looked at hockey related exercises u can do at home and kinda did my own thing.

6 triple broad jumps. some jumps in the air where u bring ur toes up. some "lunge" jumps. a ton of regular lunges. as many pullups as i could do. bicep curls with weights on a bar. squats with 80 pounds on a bar (i dont have a rack so i just did a clean and then held it in front of me while i did the squats)(this is much tougher on the arms and upper body than it seems). i also did prison squats.

took about 40 minutes and my body is so sore today.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I've done 100 pull ups, 200 push ups, 300 squats with runs at the start and finish. We used to run around the block so not sure of the distance. Pretty sure it took me longer than 30 minutes. Unless you can pump out 25+ pull ups on the first try you are really going to struggle. My PB is somewhere around 12-14 from memory, strict form (been doing weighted pull ups last 3-4 years). Push ups aren't too bad. Squats you can breeze through them but the post run is a killer.

The key (for me at least) was never letting my self really go to failure (until the very end at least, the last 2 sets were murder on my hands). If you blow your wad early, it's going to be really, really hard to hit that number. I've trained almost primarily bodyweight for a while now (aside from using kettlebells) so this particular set of moves was really geared towards things that I'm already plenty comfortable doing...

And it was still a mother f***ing challenge. I've posted my qualms with Cross fit before, but their metabolic conditioning stuff is mostly great and some of their workouts are just as much a test of will as much as fitness level.

That said, It will be a longgggg while before I attempt to do something like this again.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I've dropped 63 pounds since beginning of last October by doing a pretty strict Keto diet and mostly walking every day and playing golf when I can.

I was planning on joining a gym only a month ago but I hesitated too long as now all the gyms are closed here where I live near Philly. Any ideas of what to do other what I'm doing which is taking long walks when it's nice enough to go outside I'm all ears and open to suggestions....thx

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
But from what I understand, you can split the volume into what ever rep/set range you want. I split it by doing 10 sets of 10/20/30. I changed the grip on my pull ups after a while because a. I didn't want to hurt my self and b. I wanted the variety. I'm not sure what the rules are about that so its possible I cheated a bit.
The trick is to break it up. We usually do it Cindy style. 20 rounds of 5 pull ups, 10 push ups, 15 air squats.

I would also recommend doing the pull ups kipping or if you can monkey style.

It's always the friggin' running. And doing it rx is with a 20 pound weighted vest. I cannot stand that. Did it that way once and hit the time limit. Will not put it on again until after I get the whole thing done in 45 minutes. And that is after I can do weights with my surgically repaired elbow.
But the savages who post low 20 minute times have my respect. It's a really, really, really demanding workout.
No way. Not saying that you are lying, but the sole way that someone does it that low is if they are a top, competing Open athletes. I have some real athletes in my box, and NO ONE does it in low 20s. You are a friggin savage if you can go 30 minutes. I mean, if you run the two miles in a total of 12 minutes, you are saying that it takes someone another 12-13 minutes to do the 20 rounds of the 5/10/15 that I outlined. That I would have to see to believe. Matt Fraser does not do it in that time.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Sweetness

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The trick is to break it up. We usually do it Cindy style. 20 rounds of 5 pull ups, 10 push ups, 15 air squats.

I would also recommend doing the pull ups kipping or if you can monkey style.

It's always the friggin' running. And doing it rx is with a 20 pound weighted vest. I cannot stand that. Did it that way once and hit the time limit. Will not put it on again until after I get the whole thing done in 45 minutes. And that is after I can do weights with my surgically repaired elbow.

No way. Not saying that you are lying, but the sole way that someone does it that low is if they are a top, competing Open athletes. I have some real athletes in my box, and NO ONE does it in low 20s. You are a friggin savage if you can go 30 minutes. I mean, if you run the two miles in a total of 12 minutes, you are saying that it takes someone another 12-13 minutes to do the 20 rounds of the 5/10/15 that I outlined. That I would have to see to believe. Matt Fraser does not do it in that time.

Oh I haven't seen it either, I did some quick searches on the net and saw a few people post times of 23-26 minutes. Low 20's was probably a bad way for me to put it, but some people def did put those times in there.

What happened to your elbow?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Oh I haven't seen it either, I did some quick searches on the net and saw a few people post times of 23-26 minutes. Low 20's was probably a bad way for me to put it, but some people def did put those times in there.

What happened to your elbow?
The fact that you do it under 30 is amazing. No kidding. You should be proud of that. Professional curiosity, you had to do the pull ups monkey style right?

If someone is breaking 25 minutes, they are going at least as far as Regionals at the Open.

Back in February, I tore my triceps. Training with heavy work sets for strict press. Last rep, I felt a crunch. Thank heavens for small favors, I was able to get myself to HSS that same day and had my surgery on 2/18, less than a week after tearing it. Also thank heavens for small favors, I tore 80 percent of the tendon and not the whole 100%. That made the surgery and the recovery that much better. Been getting programming from my coaches for a lot of one armed thing. Am not allowed to squat yet as that required a serious bending of elbow when it was not ready for it. Supposed to be ready for light weights in a few weeks and go back go heavy in May sometime. Which means that I would/will be rebuilding to get back to full strength by September and compete at that point.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The fact that you do it under 30 is amazing. No kidding. You should be proud of that. Professional curiosity, you had to do the pull ups monkey style right?

If someone is breaking 25 minutes, they are going at least as far as Regionals at the Open.

Back in February, I tore my triceps. Training with heavy work sets for strict press. Last rep, I felt a crunch. Thank heavens for small favors, I was able to get myself to HSS that same day and had my surgery on 2/18, less than a week after tearing it. Also thank heavens for small favors, I tore 80 percent of the tendon and not the whole 100%. That made the surgery and the recovery that much better. Been getting programming from my coaches for a lot of one armed thing. Am not allowed to squat yet as that required a serious bending of elbow when it was not ready for it. Supposed to be ready for light weights in a few weeks and go back go heavy in May sometime. Which means that I would/will be rebuilding to get back to full strength by September and compete at that point.

Style and grips varied.

You got hurt doing OHPs? Yeesh sucks that you got hurt, but you're lucky it was just the tricep and not tricep+dropping the bar on your self.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Style and grips varied.

You got hurt doing OHPs? Yeesh sucks that you got hurt, but you're lucky it was just the tricep and not tricep+dropping the bar on your self.
Was told I was lucky that I was holding bar with hands which meant that the hurt triceps did not take the entire brunt of the weight.

We use rubber weighs and dropping the bar to the ground is encouraged both as a way not to smoke out your shoulders (usually on last rep) and if you feel any thing going awry (as I did).

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I've dropped 63 pounds since beginning of last October by doing a pretty strict Keto diet and mostly walking every day and playing golf when I can.

I was planning on joining a gym only a month ago but I hesitated too long as now all the gyms are closed here where I live near Philly. Any ideas of what to do other what I'm doing which is taking long walks when it's nice enough to go outside I'm all ears and open to suggestions....thx

theres a home workout that my wife started a couple years ago that I’ve been doing since the lockdown called 21-day fix. All you need is a few dumbbells, a “light” and a “heavy” and it’s only 30 min workouts, every day for 21 days and you can do it in a living room. It’s tough, but certainly doable and you can modify the exercises if you find any too difficult. Since the workouts are 30 min you are halfway done before you know it.

I think they are offering a 14-day free stream on it and you can cancel right away, so it’s free to try if you want to give it a shot. If you pair that with your diet or something similar to what they promote you should def see results.

i don’t have my gym now either (or hockey! Ugh!) and miss the weights and machines but this has kept me busy as well as running about 12-15 miles per week. Gotta get creative these days. It’s tough. I find that my diet is falling off, drinking more and finding excuses because working from home has changed things a lot. But trying to keep a routine and healthy meals as best I can.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maximus

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
theres a home workout that my wife started a couple years ago that I’ve been doing since the lockdown called 21-day fix. All you need is a few dumbbells, a “light” and a “heavy” and it’s only 30 min workouts, every day for 21 days and you can do it in a living room. It’s tough, but certainly doable and you can modify the exercises if you find any too difficult. Since the workouts are 30 min you are halfway done before you know it.

I think they are offering a 14-day free stream on it and you can cancel right away, so it’s free to try if you want to give it a shot. If you pair that with your diet or something similar to what they promote you should def see results.

i don’t have my gym now either (or hockey! Ugh!) and miss the weights and machines but this has kept me busy as well as running about 12-15 miles per week. Gotta get creative these days. It’s tough. I find that my diet is falling off, drinking more and finding excuses because working from home has changed things a lot. But trying to keep a routine and healthy meals as best I can.

Appreciate the suggestion and I'll look into it tomorrow...thx again.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
@Maximus

Checkout MrandMrsMuscles. They post their videos on YouTube but if you want to see if it’s for you then you can take a look at their posts on IG. I’ve been training for a very long time and this couple has a very good, no-nonsense program that essentially is an interval training mostly based on body weight only resistance.

Good luck.

Reactions: Maximus

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I've been trying to go running outside more often since the quarantine but when we have weather like today its hard. Hopefully by May we start getting more consistent warm weather. I go running in the woods with my dog. I really need to to some weight training. Don't have any weights so I guess i'll start doing body weight.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
For avid gym/weight resistance trainers now is the time to pay attention to your diet and make sure you manipulating your diet by eating clean nutrient dense foods to keep your metabolism up. I don’t care what anyone says unless you have a full gym setup doing bands and bodyweight resistance movements isn’t gonna match the heavier compound movements you can do at the gym. your metabolic rate is bound to drop with the loss of muscle. Especially for guys (and gals) that are used to doing compound movements with decent amount of weight. Best home movement if you don’t have a home gym setup is doing pull-ups somehow and adding weight if you can handle it.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I've been trying to go running outside more often since the quarantine but when we have weather like today its hard. Hopefully by May we start getting more consistent warm weather. I go running in the woods with my dog. I really need to to some weight training. Don't have any weights so I guess i'll start doing body weight.

You can do some absolutely killer body weight routines with out any equipment.

If you can find a park that has monkey bars, even better.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
My running since covid started is very nearly back to my 2004-05 and 2013-14 peaks. Now it's time to mix in the occasional shorter interval runs to work on explosiveness and improve distance when I do those longer 6-7 mile "cruise control" runs.

Next up in incorporating more free weights on recovery days.

Reactions: bl02 and Leetch3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad