OT: Summer Fitness Thread

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Am jealous of you who have managed to get free weights before all this broke out. I have very light dumbbells (to 30 pounds) that I have been doing various versions of squats and doing a lot of body weigh stuff. In desperation have been snatching using a broom stick. Thankfully, my box still posts daily wods that are primarily designed to get accomplished with little or no weight. Using dumbbells as kettles as well, but really need to hit some real training.

Went to Rogue and there is not one kettle-bell, weighted vest or dumbbell available.

Reactions: bl02

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
been biking about 3 times every 2 weeks now. burning about 1500-2000 cals each ride. elbow is feeling a bit better so might be able to start doing pushups soon.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
For avid gym/weight resistance trainers now is the time to pay attention to your diet and make sure you manipulating your diet by eating clean nutrient dense foods to keep your metabolism up. I don’t care what anyone says unless you have a full gym setup doing bands and bodyweight resistance movements isn’t gonna match the heavier compound movements you can do at the gym. your metabolic rate is bound to drop with the loss of muscle. Especially for guys (and gals) that are used to doing compound movements with decent amount of weight. Best home movement if you don’t have a home gym setup is doing pull-ups somehow and adding weight if you can handle it.

If you're a bodybuilder/powerlifter, then yeah. It's really hard to nail the isolation training or lift really heavy ass shit unless you have access to the proper equipment.

For the layman, this simply isn't true. There are a SHIT load of bodyweight movements that will more than suffice that require little to no equipment that can not only preserve muscle, but induce hypertrophy even if you're a pretty advanced lifter.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If you're a bodybuilder/powerlifter, then yeah. It's really hard to nail the isolation training or lift really heavy ass shit unless you have access to the proper equipment.

For the layman, this simply isn't true. There are a SHIT load of bodyweight movements that will more than suffice that require little to no equipment that can not only preserve muscle, but induce hypertrophy even if you're a pretty advanced lifter.

Yeah I meant for a more experienced/advanced lifter. Someone who has trained a certain way for years will have trouble creating a similar stimuli in his or her living room or garage (if you're lucky enough to have garage space with some equipment).

Would depend of your definition of an advanced lifter. You can probably maintain but highly doubt you will induce hypertrophy without the right resistance. There are few body weight exercises that can do that. (Pullups and weighted dips can be effective). If you are lucky to have a decent dumbell selection/Barbell to go along with those bodyweight exercises then it's a possibility. Heck it seems impossible right now to find a dumbell over 50 pounds without spending a fortune. A 50 pound dumbell on ebay seems to cost more than center ice tickets at a Ranger game lol

On the positive side home workouts seem to provide fewer distractions which may increase workout intensity.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Pretty surprised we haven't seen crazy accidents from people doing dumbass/ "improvised" exercises that they would normally do in a gym due to lack of the right equipment.
I saw one guy on youtube show his audience how to do skull crushers/lying tricep extensions using the underside of a heavy couch smh. I guess creative but dumb at the same time :skeptic:

Reactions: will1066

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Am jealous of you who have managed to get free weights before all this broke out. I have very light dumbbells (to 30 pounds) that I have been doing various versions of squats and doing a lot of body weigh stuff. In desperation have been snatching using a broom stick. Thankfully, my box still posts daily wods that are primarily designed to get accomplished with little or no weight. Using dumbbells as kettles as well, but really need to hit some real training.

Went to Rogue and there is not one kettle-bell, weighted vest or dumbbell available.

Unreal man. Props to all that had homegym setups or even decent rack of dumbells. Super jealous right now.
Same here have been doing tons of bodyweight squats and tons of walking lunges (which are a great exercise) but just not the same as getting underneath a barbell and squatting with decent weight with good form.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

I snagged a Total Gym at Costco back in January. I was extremely skeptical. Not going to lie though, it is actually a decent work out for the average person and you can absolutely expect to gain some good muscle definition from it. Is it going to make you Schwarzennegger from his body building days? No. But has been so clutch during this quarantine.

100% worth the price (I think I paid $299 for the xtreme) and I would recommend it to anyone.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Unreal man. Props to all that had homegym setups or even decent rack of dumbells. Super jealous right now.
Same here have been doing tons of bodyweight squats and tons of walking lunges (which are a great exercise) but just not the same as getting underneath a barbell and squatting with decent weight with good form.
Oh, it's not a home gym. I have actually continued to come to the office. I have been alone here since the lockdown began. We have a small gym right in the office that I have been using, which I would never have used before.

Managed to tear my triceps back in Feb, so some of the layoff was what was needed, but now am ready to hit it all again and there is nothing. Squating with two 30 pound dumbbells is all well and good but not the same thing as having access to a squat rack.

Tested out my snatch form with the broom stick and it has gone to hell. Desperately need to get back to Oly lifting and power lifting.

Like I said, luckily my box continues to post workout and they have started to do virtual class with all body weight stuff. Sometimes ingenuity is needed. Hence the broom stick. We actually encourage people who do not have a pull up bar to do inverse rows by holding on to a table. I do them under a treadmill, pulling up by the handles. Started to also elevate my feet by putting them on a chair.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I was getting ready to compete prior to the lockdown; sitting at 195lbs with a 295 bench, 505 squat and 615 deadlift.

I visited my dad on LI this weekend and got to use his old, very defunct basement gym and cobbled together about 335 on the bar and 5 sets of 5 killed me on deadlifts. It’s going to be miserable trying to get back to those numbers after 3, 4 maybe 5 months without access to a real gym.

I have been doing plenty to stay overall fit but there’s no way to simulate that kind of training. My shoulders and upper back have gotten and no amount of pushups is going to save my bench right now. It’s going to be super frustrating finally going back to the gym and maxing out 150-200lbs lower than before, and I probably won’t compete again for at least 12-18 months.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I was getting ready to compete prior to the lockdown; sitting at 195lbs with a 295 bench, 505 squat and 615 deadlift.

I visited my dad on LI this weekend and got to use his old, very defunct basement gym and cobbled together about 335 on the bar and 5 sets of 5 killed me on deadlifts. It’s going to be miserable trying to get back to those numbers after 3, 4 maybe 5 months without access to a real gym.

I have been doing plenty to stay overall fit but there’s no way to simulate that kind of training. My shoulders and upper back have gotten and no amount of pushups is going to save my bench right now. It’s going to be super frustrating finally going back to the gym and maxing out 150-200lbs lower than before, and I probably won’t compete again for at least 12-18 months.

Jesus.

That deadlift is really impressive. Good news? Your body will adapt pretty quickly. You'll be back to your normal lifts much quicker than you anticipate.

Reactions: LokiDog

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Jesus.

That deadlift is really impressive. Good news? Your body will adapt pretty quickly. You'll be back to your normal lifts much quicker than you anticipate.

I think the strength will come back, but I’ll be so sore from not working regularly like this. Not that I maxed out every week, but I still lifted in the heavy triples on one of my lifts almost every day. I’ll go pull and be happy with the numbers and then be crippled for a few days after now.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It is certainly going to be a long way back. Like you said, no amount of pushups are going to replicate actual benching. No matter what I do, I cannot replicate all 3 squats, bench, press, deadlift, snatch or clean and jerk. Overhead squats with a broom stick is not the same thing as a loaded bar or doing a real snatch.

BTW, I will say that the Strength lifts are very impressive. Did you do Starting Strength?
I think the strength will come back, but I’ll be so sore from not working regularly like this. Not that I maxed out every week, but I still lifted in the heavy triples on one of my lifts almost every day. I’ll go pull and be happy with the numbers and then be crippled for a few days after now.
For the good news, it is sort of like riding a bicycle. The body remembers, but yeah it will take a while. Can't lie. I was getting ready to PR those same lifts, albeit not nearly at those numbers. Then was going to do a 3 week Bulgarian weight lifting cycle for snatch and clean & jerk. That cycle you max out every day, 3 times a week. I cannot even think of doing that now, as I will first need to just get strength back up.

Reactions: LokiDog

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
It is certainly going to be a long way back. Like you said, no amount of pushups are going to replicate actual benching. No matter what I do, I cannot replicate all 3 squats, bench, press, deadlift, snatch or clean and jerk. Overhead squats with a broom stick is not the same thing as a loaded bar or doing a real snatch.

BTW, I will say that the Strength lifts are very impressive. Did you do Starting Strength?

For the good news, it is sort of like riding a bicycle. The body remembers, but yeah it will take a while. Can't lie. I was getting ready to PR those same lifts, albeit not nearly at those numbers. Then was going to do a 3 week Bulgarian weight lifting cycle for snatch and clean & jerk. That cycle you max out every day, 3 times a week. I cannot even think of doing that now, as I will first need to just get strength back up.

I didn’t do starting strength but I did workout at and do a couple of comps at Mark Rippetoe’s gym. It’s in Wichita Falls Texas which was where my last duty station in the military was. I actually got into powerlifting on a deployment, I always had a pretty decent squat and deadlift (horrible bench) but never specifically trained for PL. A couple of buddies signed up for an on base competition when we were in Kuwait so I joined and had a blast and sort of stumbled into the sport. I did some 5/3/1 and squat everyday for a while but the best program I ever ran was Ben Pollack’s Unf**k Your Program. It’s pretty simple but it had the most noticeable progress for me. You can really apply it to any lifts but it’s designed for the big 3 for PL.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I've been focusing on ab work the last several weeks. I think this is the best my abs have ever looked. Trying to tease out the lower 2 of the 6 pack, and that has been the toughest.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I've been focusing on ab work the last several weeks. I think this is the best my abs have ever looked. Trying to tease out the lower 2 of the 6 pack, and that has been the toughest.

I used to do a ton of abs and and more of a cross fit/military style high intensity lift with a lot of pull ups and athletic movements and decently heavy weight. Made sense being in the military and wanting to be versatile. When I started taking power lifting super seriously and competing and following some really grueling programs I basically cut out all direct ab work (heavy compound lifts definitely work the abs though) and most of my cardio aside from hockey, and I just kept my diet really, really clean. I had better abs than I’d ever had. Of course... quarantine has diminished that for now. But one image is medium weights, direct ab work and cross fit style training and the other is really dedicated powerlifting with a tight diet.

Attachments

• 14A598F7-826C-4541-857C-04D5A1C1CED5.jpeg
    14A598F7-826C-4541-857C-04D5A1C1CED5.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 28A48E9F-BACC-49AA-ADDD-7EC79F2B7E25.jpeg
    28A48E9F-BACC-49AA-ADDD-7EC79F2B7E25.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 8

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
For sure another benefit of doing heavier compound movements is the unbeatable stimulation to the abdominal/core area. You can do all the crunches and leg lifts you want they will never compare to the core work you will get from squatting, deadlifting, barbell rowing etc. I have competed against guys who never did a situp and have the most developed/conditioned abdominal area you will ever see (of course strict dieting is a huge part of that)

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I didn’t do starting strength but I did workout at and do a couple of comps at Mark Rippetoe’s gym. It’s in Wichita Falls Texas which was where my last duty station in the military was. I actually got into powerlifting on a deployment, I always had a pretty decent squat and deadlift (horrible bench) but never specifically trained for PL. A couple of buddies signed up for an on base competition when we were in Kuwait so I joined and had a blast and sort of stumbled into the sport. I did some 5/3/1 and squat everyday for a while but the best program I ever ran was Ben Pollack’s Unf**k Your Program. It’s pretty simple but it had the most noticeable progress for me. You can really apply it to any lifts but it’s designed for the big 3 for PL.
I had no idea of how to lift until I made the decision to leave the globo gym and start CrossFit. There I met the guy that started Starting Strength. It is a linear progression. 3 warm up sets (5, 3, 2) and then 3 sets of 5. At least that was the beginning. As I did more and more cycles and the weight went up sometimes I needed to add bridging singles and sometimes the sets went to 3s or to drop sets.

Oly is different as it makes for a lot of complexes.

It's funny, only when I started all of this, I learned that the measure of strength is not how many reps you can do. It is what is the most amount of weight you can do once.

Friggin' miss it right now.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
For sure another benefit of doing heavier compound movements is the unbeatable stimulation to the abdominal/core area. You can do all the crunches and leg lifts you want they will never compare to the core work you will get from squatting, deadlifting, barbell rowing etc. I have competed against guys who never did a situp and have the most developed/conditioned abdominal area you will ever see (of course strict dieting is a huge part of that)
Compound lifting is fantastic. Look at your full depth snatch. It is holding a weight over your head and standing it up from a depth that is below your knees. Same for clean and jerks. It is a combination a clean, a front squat and a jerk. Or a thruster .

Even simple wall balls. Think of all the areas that you hit with the movement.

BTW, medicine balls are back at Rogue. Ordered one today.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I had no idea of how to lift until I made the decision to leave the globo gym and start CrossFit. There I met the guy that started Starting Strength. It is a linear progression. 3 warm up sets (5, 3, 2) and then 3 sets of 5. At least that was the beginning. As I did more and more cycles and the weight went up sometimes I needed to add bridging singles and sometimes the sets went to 3s or to drop sets.

Oly is different as it makes for a lot of complexes.

It's funny, only when I started all of this, I learned that the measure of strength is not how many reps you can do. It is what is the most amount of weight you can do once.

Friggin' miss it right now.

Yeah I miss it badly. The reason I mentioned Rippetoe is because he’s one of the founding fathers of starting strength, and I believe, the author of the book. Pure strength is indeed measured in a single rep maximum effort. Endurance, of course, is something entirely different but still valuable and Olympic lifting brings in the skill side of things more heavily. Of course, there actually is skill in the big 3 of powerlifting, you refine your technique a ton over time, hand and foot position, posture, breathing, bracing, even neck position but that skill aspect is ratcheted up significantly when you start doing clean and jerks. I’d enjoy getting into Olympic lifting but I’ve always felt I didn’t have the flexibility to do it heavy, so I stuck with lighter loads and larger sets and used them as conditioning tools. Maybe post quarantine my body will have healed and I can work on flexibility and see if I can acclimate myself to heavy olys.

Reactions: GoAwayStaal

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I used to do a ton of abs and and more of a cross fit/military style high intensity lift with a lot of pull ups and athletic movements and decently heavy weight. Made sense being in the military and wanting to be versatile. When I started taking power lifting super seriously and competing and following some really grueling programs I basically cut out all direct ab work (heavy compound lifts definitely work the abs though) and most of my cardio aside from hockey, and I just kept my diet really, really clean. I had better abs than I’d ever had. Of course... quarantine has diminished that for now. But one image is medium weights, direct ab work and cross fit style training and the other is really dedicated powerlifting with a tight diet.

For honesty’s sake, proud as I was to be in that shape and plan to get back there, this is how I’m looking now and beer is really the only thing I’ve been lifting in quarantine.

Attachments

• D57AAD29-4BFF-45FC-8F62-403946955F46.jpeg
    D57AAD29-4BFF-45FC-8F62-403946955F46.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 5349B373-65F6-4FBA-AC44-32CF37F34C91.jpeg
    5349B373-65F6-4FBA-AC44-32CF37F34C91.jpeg
    631.4 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: ecemleafs

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yeah I miss it badly. The reason I mentioned Rippetoe is because he’s one of the founding fathers of starting strength, and I believe, the author of the book. Pure strength is indeed measured in a single rep maximum effort. Endurance, of course, is something entirely different but still valuable and Olympic lifting brings in the skill side of things more heavily. Of course, there actually is skill in the big 3 of powerlifting, you refine your technique a ton over time, hand and foot position, posture, breathing, bracing, even neck position but that skill aspect is ratcheted up significantly when you start doing clean and jerks. I’d enjoy getting into Olympic lifting but I’ve always felt I didn’t have the flexibility to do it heavy, so I stuck with lighter loads and larger sets and used them as conditioning tools. Maybe post quarantine my body will have healed and I can work on flexibility and see if I can acclimate myself to heavy olys.
There is a lot of skill in any lifts. It's funny that you mention breathing but one of things that I found that when the weight load was high enough, the effects of filling your lungs, doing the rep, resetting and then taking a full breath again......when the set was done I felt like I ran a marathon.

I am not the most flexible either but there are things that could be done. And movements can always be scaled. The snatch is a beautiful lift when done properly. To me, she is a fickle mistress. Easily the most complicates of any of the power or oly lifts as it involves so many different things. It is rare that I feel like I have done it correctly.

Most of CrossFit wods that involve weight are exactly as you describe, lightish medium weight for the most part. You just cannot go through one of them with a ton on the bar. I have to take separate time to focus on power or oly lifting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad