Speculation: Summer Baggage Thread

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Ha yes, this is all changed next year!! Haven't heard that before...

And maybe not biting the bullet before is why we're back here now?

That's not how it works

Which is why I'd prefer to deal dutchy for futures or a young forward like Fiala++. Let Makar / Zadorov / Meloche / Bigras / Timmins add a year of experience while Jost, Compher, Greer start to establish themselves in the NHL; and we add that top LHD talent that our u24 roster is missing.

Then, once we have all of the pieces we'll need in the long run, we start focusing on filling our holes for the short run as well.

That's exactly what's going to happen on this team, though.

Will it? With Zads already establishing himself in the NHL; he & EJ should be able to do a lot of the heavy lifting for the kids that break in years to come. Especially if Bigras arrives this coming season for good; Tyson isn't traded until Meloche is ready for the NHL + Makar is just a year away; and we can establish a reliable third pairing with Bigras / Barby / Lindy / Boikov + Mironov. Throw in the inevitable Kulikov signing and that D isn't a tirefire for the kids to come into.

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I just don't see why Nashville would break up their top four to get Duchene or anybody else. That top 4 just took them to the SCF. To get over the top, they need their top four PLUS another top six center. Breaking up that top 4 will set them back, period.

That said, a pure futures package for Duchene is something they can (and should) afford to part with. And one we should heavily consider. As long as there's an LHD prospect in there (not sure what they have in that regard) I think they can put together one of the best packages of futures of any team that needs him.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I just don't see why Nashville would break up their top four to get Duchene or anybody else. That top 4 just took them to the SCF. To get over the top, they need their top four PLUS another top six center. Breaking up that top 4 will set them back, period.

That said, a pure futures package for Duchene is something they can (and should) afford to part with. And one we should heavily consider. As long as there's an LHD prospect in there (not sure what they have in that regard) I think they can put together one of the best packages of futures of any team that needs him.

Preds might look at how they lost the finals and learn from the Pens who had weaker defense but much better offense and more balanced team and decide to trade one of their top 4 d for a forward like Duchene. They'll still have a solid defense and better offense

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway

That's just the thing. They have one, Samuel Girard, 2nd-rounder from last year. Very good offensively, but also quite undersized. Nashville are like us with D-prospects; They're mostly RH. A deal with the Preds would have been much easier to do if only Fabbro had been a lefty :(

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That's just the thing. They have one, Samuel Girard, 2nd-rounder from last year. Very good offensively, but also quite undersized. Nashville are like us with D-prospects; They're mostly RH. A deal with the Preds would have been much easier to do if only Fabbro had been a lefty :(

I'd be down with either Girard or Carrier coming in to battle Bigras behind Zads & our 2018 1st; but Fiala + Kamenev would be the priority for me from Nashville.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I still believe Sakic is bluffing on Ekholm. He is 16 months OLDER than Duchene and less than 2 years young Han EJ, so unless he plans to flip the player...getting him now will be wasting his prime years during a rebuild.

A package of prospects and picks is likely the package they're considering.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Lordy that some of you would look a legit top pairing LHD who beasted at 25 minutes a night in the playoffs and is signed to a bargain 5 year deal in the eyes and turn that down because "doesn't fit the plan".

ROTFLMAO

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
this whole idea that our entire roster needs to consist of players of the same age has been floating around here like a disease and its got to be the most flawed line of thinking. The kind of logic that makes you want to rip your hair out. show me one ****ing team thats won the cup that is constructed like this? I'll wait... Ekholm is a phenomenal defenseman who is only getting better. Barring a major injury he should be a serviceable top pairing defenseman well into his mid thirties.

must be the altitude getting to you guys or something, because you gotta take this deal and run if it was real.

there's no way this deal is real

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
I just can't see Nashville moving Ekholm for Duchene.

I'd feel for the guy if it happened though. Going from the West champs to this dumpster fire. Ouch.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Lordy that some of you would look a legit top pairing LHD who beasted at 25 minutes a night in the playoffs and is signed to a bargain 5 year deal in the eyes and turn that down because "doesn't fit the plan".

ROTFLMAO

I know this organization hasn't properly executed a plan in so long that none of us can even remember what that's like...but it's still odd to me that you'd laugh off the idea of them trying to do so for once.

Swapping Duchene for Elkholm would just be the latest in a long line of moments where this organization got distracted by the name, and forgot where the f*** they were in their rebuild.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
this whole idea that our entire roster needs to consist of players of the same age has been floating around here like a disease and its got to be the most flawed line of thinking. The kind of logic that makes you want to rip your hair out. show me one ****ing team thats won the cup that is constructed like this? I'll wait... Ekholm is a phenomenal defenseman who is only getting better. Barring a major injury he should be a serviceable top pairing defenseman well into his mid thirties.

must be the altitude getting to you guys or something, because you gotta take this deal and run if it was real.

there's no way this deal is real

...Chicago and Pittsburgh for their first cups built young cores in the same age group and after that brought in some older vets to help those kids win...

And those teams seem to have done pretty good for themselves

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
...Chicago and Pittsburgh for their first cups built young cores in the same age group and after that brought in some older vets to help those kids win...

you can add the kings to that too.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If Joe does flip Dutchy for Ekholm; I'd hope that he either dangles Ekholm or just says f*** it and signs Rads.

If we're not gunna rebuild right, we might as well be the most fun low level playoff team we can be.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica

Maybe take a closer look at the Hawks roster. Their core players in 2010 ranged from 20 to 30 years old and stayed in tact for the most part

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Maybe take a closer look at the Hawks roster. Their core players in 2010 ranged from 20 to 30 years old and stayed in tact for the most part

Crawford, Hjalmarsson, Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Toews and all within a few years of each other. There are a few outliers, but the majority of their core is pretty much the same age.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
My main fear with any trade or FA signing is that the team improves to a buble team next year. We need to tank and get a great pick. So any Duchene trade as to be futures heavy IMHO.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Crawford, Hjalmarsson, Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Toews and all within a few years of each other. There are a few outliers, but the majority of their core is pretty much the same age.

Keith is 9 years older than toews and 10 years older than Kane. And he's a defenseman... Hmmmm

Edit 5 and 6 years respectively. Hossa and Campbell were 9 and 10 years older

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad