Speculation: Summer Baggage Thread

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Did anyone mention Friedman speculating the Preds might try and sign a top-4 defenceman, so they could use one of their own in a trade?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-free-agency-buzz-rumblings-around-league/

This rumour has been posted a couple of times throughout the last week or so. Granted this seems more like speculation from Friedman, but we know a couple of things based on all the rumours we've heard. One of them is that the Preds and Poille really do like Duchene. The other one is that Sakic supposively wanted Ekholm as the major part of the deal, which Poille declined at the time as he wants to keep four top 4 defenders for this club. So now maybe Poille wants to head back to Duchene if he's able to land a top 4 defender on the free agent market.

The biggest issue I see now is cap space, considering that the newest rumour is that Johansen wants 8.5 million per year. But I suggest that Avs can get more in a deal, maybe one around Ekholm+Fiala/Kamenev+Fabbro or 1st 2018 if Avs retain some of his contract.

What are your guys' thoughts on this situation?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Poile really doesn't seem like he's going to touch his Top-4, so it's pretty much a near certainty those are out.

A Nashville deal would basically be pure futures, and in my mind the best package would be something like Fabbro + Kamenev + Roster player (would like Sissons or Aberg...but neither are likely) + 2018 1st.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Sounds like a plan. If they need to retain on Duchene to get the return they need. Then they should do it.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
This rumour has been posted a couple of times throughout the last week or so. Granted this seems more like speculation from Friedman, but we know a couple of things based on all the rumours we've heard. One of them is that the Preds and Poille really do like Duchene. The other one is that Sakic supposively wanted Ekholm as the major part of the deal, which Poille declined at the time as he wants to keep four top 4 defenders for this club. So now maybe Poille wants to head back to Duchene if he's able to land a top 4 defender on the free agent market.

The biggest issue I see now is cap space, considering that the newest rumour is that Johansen wants 8.5 million per year. But I suggest that Avs can get more in a deal, maybe one around Ekholm+Fiala/Kamenev+Fabbro or 1st 2018 if Avs retain some of his contract.

What are your guys' thoughts on this situation?

Does Nashville have any bad contracts that they'd want to get rid of? Ekholm+Fabbro+cap dump would be a dream come true for me. I really, really like Ekholm, think he's absolutely awesome. I think having an Ekholm-EJ top pairing takes a lot of pressure off the kids and lets them learn and develop on the job. Fabbro still has loads of potential, plus he and Jost have that history together.

I don't see it happening though. Just don't see Nashville shipping out their Top-4.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Don't think Poile will touch his top four, as he shouldn't, and if he did, I don't think he'd add anything of significant value to Ekholm. He's a really high end top four defensman and despite being 27 should have years of great hockey left in him in my opinion.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I think it'll be Duchene for Ekholm 1 for 1. No additions.

I really hope not. I mean I like Ekholm but that deal would really suck.

We would be wasting Ekholms prime on an at best mediocre team (with little hope to improve because we still would lack way too many assets ) and probably significantly worsen our odds for Dahlin by doing this deal.

That would really sting.

It might be fair value but if Ekholm comes our way we need to land a 1st+ prospect as well. Duchene probably is not worth that but otherwise the deal does not make much sense for us IMO.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
I mean if Nashville does indeed sign a defencemen I'd say they're going to aggressively go after Duchene. However, I personally would not want the deal centered around Ekholm. The value is fair but he's a little too old and Poille obviously would not add much more to the deal.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Obviously I've watched a lot of central division hockey like everyone here and I've always been a fan of Ekholm and found him a bit underrated but his play grew on me even more in the playoffs this year. I would trade Duchene for him straight up and be very happy with that trade. He'd instantly be our best defenseman.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Ekholm is a legit top pairing defender. If they package him with a first and a good prospect I think someone much more enticing becomes available than Duchene.

Grackle Party

Full of guts!!
Jun 11, 2007
Cream City
I just dont understand what this team would be doing by adding Ekholm. Thats not a rebuild, they would need to make some other moves to the forwards to be a playoff contender

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I just dont understand what this team would be doing by adding Ekholm. Thats not a rebuild, they would need to make some other moves to the forwards to be a playoff contender

Ekholm just turned 27, is under contract for 5 more seasons on an absolute steal of a contract and doesn't play a game that would make him wear down earlier than most. Ekholm makes the team better now AND for the future.

He'd be a more important piece of a rebuild than Erik Johnson or Gabe Landeskog and you don't see fans asking them to be moved.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Ekholm just turned 27, is under contract for 5 more seasons on an absolute steal of a contract and doesn't play a game that would make him wear down earlier than most. Ekholm makes the team better now AND for the future.

He'd be a more important piece of a rebuild than Erik Johnson or Gabe Landeskog and you don't see fans asking them to be moved.

I completely agree. I'd welcome the guy.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Does Nashville have any bad contracts that they'd want to get rid of? Ekholm+Fabbro+cap dump would be a dream come true for me. I really, really like Ekholm, think he's absolutely awesome. I think having an Ekholm-EJ top pairing takes a lot of pressure off the kids and lets them learn and develop on the job. Fabbro still has loads of potential, plus he and Jost have that history together.

I don't see it happening though. Just don't see Nashville shipping out their Top-4.

I wondered if Sakic really wants Ekholm? He is 16 months OLDER than Duchene and might be using the approach to squeeze more players in a trade.

Duchene is a perfect fit for the Preds and protection if Johansen decides to holdout (not like he's done before). Rumoured asking for Draisaitl money approx. $8M-$8.5M per and they have the same Agency and Agent as ROR.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I really hope not. I mean I like Ekholm but that deal would really suck.

We would be wasting Ekholms prime on an at best mediocre team (with little hope to improve because we still would lack way too many assets ) and probably significantly worsen our odds for Dahlin by doing this deal.

That would really sting.

It might be fair value but if Ekholm comes our way we need to land a 1st+ prospect as well. Duchene probably is not worth that but otherwise the deal does not make much sense for us IMO.

This team isn't going to be an "at best mediocre team" for the next 5 years. At least we hope not.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
This team isn't going to be an "at best mediocre team" for the next 5 years. At least we hope not.

Trading Duchene for Ekholm would IMO be the exact kind of move that would hurt this franchise the most.

Don't get me wrong. It is not bad value. But a terrible strategic decision. The same way Varly was in hindsight not bad value but also a move that ultimately IMO lead to the last rebuild being a failure and us being stuck in mediocrity for way too long without real hope for improvement.

It is the exact kind of move that a team aiming for the treadmill of mediocrity would make at this point.

And given that we are talking the Avs, it very well might happen.

If we get Ekholm, we need to get atleast another 1st + another prospect out of this.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Trading Duchene for Ekholm would IMO be the exact kind of move that would hurt this franchise the most.

Don't get me wrong. It is not bad value. But a terrible strategic decision. The same way Varly was in hindsight not bad value but also a move that ultimately IMO lead to the last rebuild being a failure and us being stuck in mediocrity for way too long without real hope for improvement.

It is the exact kind of move that a team aiming for the treadmill of mediocrity would make at this point.

And given that we are talking the Avs, it very well might happen.

If we get Ekholm, we need to get atleast another 1st + another prospect out of this.

How is it terrible strategically? Ekholm instantly becomes our #1, and on the left side, too, which allows Zadorov to play 2nd pairing minutes and not be fed to the wolves every night against the opposing team's 1st line.

If Zadorov develops the way we think he can, then in 2-3 years time he can step into the role Ekholm was holding down while Ekholm moves down to the 2nd pairing.

I want picks/prospects too but let's not act like this sort of trade wouldn't help this team tremendously. It'd fill the biggest need this team has had for over a decade and would allow the kids to develop properly in the right situations.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
How is it terrible strategically? Ekholm instantly becomes our #1, and on the left side, too, which allows Zadorov to play 2nd pairing minutes and not be fed to the wolves every night against the opposing team's 1st line.

If Zadorov develops the way we think he can, then in 2-3 years time he can step into the role Ekholm was holding down while Ekholm moves down to the 2nd pairing.

I want picks/prospects too but let's not act like this sort of trade wouldn't help this team tremendously. It'd fill the biggest need this team has had for over a decade and would allow the kids to develop properly in the right situations.

Because you are getting older with one move while trying to get younger and build for the future with all of the other moves. One of the main reasons Duchene is on the block is because his age and that he does not fit our "rebuild" basically. Does not make much sense to trade him straight up for a guy that is even older IMO.

It is also a win-now move when all of your other moves so far have been aimed at building for the future so far this offseason and basically going for a rebuild.

Mixed messages once again. When Jost and Rantanen and Makar should finally be ready to really to shine for this team, our top pairing will be 30+ already and only have a limited amount of time left before we will have to look for their replacement and odds are that we won't have the assets to do it then and again be stuck in no-mans land...

It is basically IMO one of the biggest problems for the Avs. They don't really have a plan or strategy or philosophy or whatever you want to call it that they are sticking with..

That has been a personal problem I have had with this team for quite some time now.

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Because you are getting older with one move while trying to get younger and build for the future with all of the other moves.

It is also a win-now move when all of your other moves so far have been aimed at building for the future so far this offseason and basically going for a rebuild.

Mixed messages once again. When Jost and Rantanen and Makar should finally be ready to really to shine for this team, our top pairing will be 30+ already and only have a limited amount of time left before we will have to look for their replacement and odds are that we won't have the assets to do it then and again be stuck in no-mans land...

It is basically IMO one of the biggest problems for the Avs. They don't really have a plan or strategy or philosophy or whatever you want to call it that they are sticking with..

That has been a personal problem I have had with this team for quite some time now.

You don't build a team of all prospects and 18-23 year olds. Unless you want to be the Edmonton Oilers circa 2007-2016.

Ekholm solves a huge need on this team. He's not going to magically fall off a cliff in a couple of years, and when his play does tail off we'll have the likes of Zadorov/Bigras/Meloche/Makar/etc having a few years (some more, some less) of pro experience ready to step in.

I don't see the downside that you do.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Because you are getting older with one move while trying to get younger and build for the future with all of the other moves.

My god he literally just turned 27 and has 5 very solid years left on his contract. He would be the best defenseman the Avalanche have had since Rob Blake. Trading for a 27 year old #1D with plenty of term and great hockey left is not a "win now" move. It helps now, sure. But it helps the future also.

If this is your mentality do you want to trade EJ, Barrie and Landeskog too?

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
My god he literally just turned 27 and has 5 very solid years left on his contract. He would be the best defenseman the Avalanche have had since Rob Blake. Trading for a 27 year old #1D with plenty of term and great hockey left is not a "win now" move. It helps now, sure. But it helps the future also.

If this is your mentality do you want to trade EJ, Barrie and Landeskog too?

Barrie yes even though I might be his biggest fan on this board.

Landeskog not so much. IMO he is young enough to keep around and he is the kind of guy you want leading a rebuilding team IMO and who can take on the heavy minutes to help shelter the kids.

I also want to keep EJ because he is a very good guy to help you shelter your young guys and take the heat off of them. He also probably does not have as much value in a trade right now as he does to the Avs.

But yeah. If people are happy with getting back to that bubble team level we have been for quite some time, Ekholm for Duchene straight up is probably a good way to achieve that rather quickly.

We will see how it turns out.
Also pump the freaking brakes on the Ekholm train.
The best D since Rob Blake?

Holy cow. What a playoff run can do for onces value I guess.

Fundamentally disagree with that.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Barrie yes even though I might be his biggest fan on this board.

Landeskog not so much. IMO he is young enough to keep around and he is the kind of guy you want leading a rebuilding team IMO and who can take on the heavy minutes to help shelter the kids.

I also want to keep EJ because he is a very good guy to help you shelter your young guys and take the heat off of them. He also probably does not have as much value in a trade right now as he does to the Avs.

But yeah. If people are happy with getting back to that bubble team level we have been for quite some time, Ekholm for Duchene straight up is probably a good way to achieve that rather quickly.

We will see how it turns out.

So I need to ask. Who do you suggest we trade Duchene for? Don't give any of these unrealistic fairy tail trade proposals that I see around here. Give a reasonable example of what somebody would give up for Matt Duchene who just scored 40 points and is 2 years away from UFA that's a better option than Matthias Ekholm.

Edit: also just saw your edit. Who have the Avs had since Blake that's a better defenseman than Ekholm?

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
So I need to ask. Who do you suggest we trade Duchene for? Don't give any of these unrealistic fairy tail trade proposals that I see around here. Give a reasonable example of what somebody would give up for Matt Duchene who just scored 40 points and is 2 years away from UFA that's a better option than Matthias Ekholm.

Edit: also just saw your edit. Who have the Avs had since Blake that's a better defenseman than Ekholm? Please don't say Liles.

IMO EJ in his "prime" a few years agowas better. IMO people are seriously overrating Ekholm if they call him a legit #1 D. Top pairing guy? Sure.
Legit #1 D on another team? IMO no.

Hanifin straight up I would do. Murray + 1st + Bjorkstrand I would probably do.
Barzal/Beauvillier + 2 1sts + 2nd I would do. Fabbro + Fiala + Girard/Kamenev/1st, I would probably do.

Also if Ekholm really is as good as you think he is, Poile would be nuts to trade him for Duchene at this point in time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->