• No one this summer

Votes: 76 41.1%

• Total voters

Habsfan2992

One of the 1st
May 12, 2004
Oakville
A hundred million times this.

It's 'my' hopeful secret plan, and I'm praying to god its HuGo's secret plan as well

Don't spend nothing this year but sign Arber, trade deadweight this summer/next deadline/ next summer

Offer the moon to Drai, and let's make some noise for 5-6 years and try to win this thing
Why would you offer the moon to him? If he can't win with McDavid what makes you think he's going to put up even higher numbers or the same here on our top line.

Habsfan2992

One of the 1st
May 12, 2004
Oakville
What happen if one of Montembault or Primeau is
Injured ?

Dobes need to stay in the AHL next year.
So you thought or think it's a good idea to have a 3 goalie rotation? And of course this veteran your speaking of whomever it would be would just take up more cap room and you pull up whoever you want from the AHL that's exactly what they're there for! I'm glad you aren't the GM. The smarter play to do what you want is get another goalie for their ahl team to bring up.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
So you thought or think it's a good idea to have a 3 goalie rotation? And of course this veteran your speaking of whomever it would be would just take up more cap room and you pull up whoever you want from the AHL that's exactly what they're there for! I'm glad you aren't the GM. The smarter play to do what you want is get another goalie for their ahl team to bring up.
When did I talk about a 3 goalie rotation ?? A 3rd Goalie in the AHL doesn’t count in the Cap…

I’m talking about signing an AHL veteran with NHL experience like Dustin Tokarski or Calvin Pickard not a #2 goalie like Allen

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Here is my fairly easy recipe for success, probably starting 2025-26, and praying to the hockey gods for no lockout the following year.

The encouraging things about this is that if all goes well, we already have most of the pieces we need. The downside is, well, that we need everything to go really well in order for us to have a shot.

Step 1: Draft Demidov

Step 2: Key development from Dach, Caufield, Reinbacher, Hutson, Xhekajs, Mailloux

Step 3: Trade Guhle for a legit and young #1 goalie

Caufield-Dach-Demidov (Demidov turns Caufield into a 40+ goal scorer and Dach into 80+ points)

Slafkovsky-Suzuki-Roy (If Suzuki can put up 70 points from the 2C position we will be in business, great 2 way line with Slaf and Roy both very capable)

Newhook-Beck-Anderson
RHP-Xhekaj-Gallagher

Wont be easy to unload Anderson and Gallagher but in the bottom 6 their linemates should be cheap enough to offset it, hopefully Gallagher hits LTIR

Hutson-Reinbacher (Hey I'm not sold on this top pairing yet but if they both hit their potential it will be elite. Hutson's offense with Reinbacher's transition play and defensive responsibility)

Xhekaj-Mailloux (Played great together in the AHL, good size, offense, physicality)
Struble/Harris/Engstrom/Bogdan/Vet RHD (whoever deserves it, I would look to trade Harris)

#1 Goalie from Guhle trade
Monty

I know many will be upset at the Guhle trade but it's just a personal preference and I actually like Xhekaj more. I think his offensive game is underrated and he keeps improving in the NHL whereas I don't always see the same for Guhle. The people saying he's a future #1 or a top pairing guy already are a bit over optimistic IMO, and I would capitalize on his trade value now while we are insulated at LHD, to get our cornerstone #1 for the next decade

MolleSon

May 21, 2018
I'd love another move a la Dach... A young top 6, C or W, I don't care since there all becoming pretty interchangeable. So many things we need to check out before adding an UFA - Hutson, Reinbacher, a full season of Dach, contracts we can trade or terminate or buy out, goalies, etc. So no UFA, not yet, 2025-26 will be the time, maybe even 2026-27.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I'd love another move a la Dach... A young top 6, C or W, I don't care since there all becoming pretty interchangeable. So many things we need to check out before adding an UFA - Hutson, Reinbacher, a full season of Dach, contracts we can trade or terminate or buy out, goalies, etc. So no UFA, not yet, 2025-26 will be the time, maybe even 2026-27.
Holtz would be a good target

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Here is my fairly easy recipe for success, probably starting 2025-26, and praying to the hockey gods for no lockout the following year.

The encouraging things about this is that if all goes well, we already have most of the pieces we need. The downside is, well, that we need everything to go really well in order for us to have a shot.

Step 2: Key development from Dach, Caufield, Reinbacher, Hutson, Xhekajs, Mailloux

Caufield-Dach-Demidov (Demidov turns Caufield into a 40+ goal scorer and Dach into 80+ points)

Slafkovsky-Suzuki-Roy (If Suzuki can put up 70 points from the 2C position we will be in business, great 2 way line with Slaf and Roy both very capable)

Newhook-Beck-Anderson
RHP-Xhekaj-Gallagher

Wont be easy to unload Anderson and Gallagher but in the bottom 6 their linemates should be cheap enough to offset it, hopefully Gallagher hits LTIR

Hutson-Reinbacher (Hey I'm not sold on this top pairing yet but if they both hit their potential it will be elite. Hutson's offense with Reinbacher's transition play and defensive responsibility)

Xhekaj-Mailloux (Played great together in the AHL, good size, offense, physicality)
Struble/Harris/Engstrom/Bogdan/Vet RHD (whoever deserves it, I would look to trade Harris)

Monty

I know many will be upset at the Guhle trade but it's just a personal preference and I actually like Xhekaj more. I think his offensive game is underrated and he keeps improving in the NHL whereas I don't always see the same for Guhle. The people saying he's a future #1 or a top pairing guy already are a bit over optimistic IMO, and I would capitalize on his trade value now while we are insulated at LHD, to get our cornerstone #1 for the next decade

I don't think there's anything Montreal can do to ensure they aren't competitive by then than move Guhle. And that's not an endorsement of his upside, its that there probably aren't 10 players in the entire NHL that have more difficult usage than Guhle and he's been pretty effective in those minutes. The idea that Xhekaj (who is older than Guhle), Hutson and one of Struble, Harris, etc. can take those minutes is... fanciful. So is betting that Demidov will have that kind of effect in his D+2 season considering he's in the MHL right now and may not even be able to come to NA by then.

Reactions: themilosh

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Even without talking about any surprises possible from prospects like Beck, Mesar, Heineman, Farrell or any other prospects, don't mind the line-up but we're technically full.

Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Caufield
Newhook - Dach - Anderson
Roy - Dvorak - Gallagher
RHP - Evans - Armia
Pezzetta

And it's even worst on D especially since we expect Hutson and Reinbacher to come around the team.
The move this summer is through trade, not UFA.

Reactions: HabzSauce

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Even without talking about any surprises possible from prospects like Beck, Mesar, Heineman, Farrell or any other prospects, don't mind the line-up but we're technically full.

Roy - Dvorak - Gallagher
RHP - Evans - Armia
Pezzetta

And it's even worst on D especially since we expect Hutson and Reinbacher to come around the team.
These are our weakest links and will keep us around .500 hockey at best even with a healthy Dach.
I find this to be a huge problem given we apparently want to be competitive next season.
I'd hate to start camp with that roster.

We have reached that point of saturation where it's time to cut ties with a number of these players.
The returns are meaningless the upgraded support players will actually be more valuable. IMO

Reactions: themilosh

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Holtz would be a good target
Will he bring something we don't already have in our system or will he just end up just being more of the same which is my guess.
I liked your idea about William Carrier better because he does play a role and brings something we lack.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Sign a veteran defenseman as UFA. Habs give up a lot of shots. Another Savard type. Identify our 3 best young D, keep them. Trade one of our young D for top forward. We still have Reinbacher, Hutson, Mailloux in system. That's plenty youth on Blueline

I don't think there's a defensive sided D that makes sense for us this July. The interesting ones will go to contenders.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
They won't draft Demidov, even if he's there when it's their turn. You know it. :laugh:

I'm calling Helenius. Just because he's the obscure European 200-foot-type Bobrov loves and because I desperately don't want them to draft him. And they seem to do the opposite of what I want most of the time these days, so... :laugh:

Reactions: vokiel

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Newhook-Beck-Anderson
RHP-Xhekaj-Gallagher

Monty

Trading Guhle for a goalie is an immediately fireable offence.....thankfully Hughes is way too smart to make such a grossly incompetent error in judgement.

I'm calling Helenius. Just because he's the obscure European 200-foot-type Bobrov loves and because I desperately don't want them to draft him. And they seem to do the opposite of what I want most of the time these days, so... :laugh:

I agree that Helenius feels like a dark horse here and I do think that he is underrated.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I don't think there's a defensive sided D that makes sense for us this July. The interesting ones will go to contenders.
So much youth in D, killing us defensively to develop 4 at a time.

Ideally, I'd like find a left shot Savard type. So many young right handed D coming in system benefit being paired with good defensive left D. Xhekaj played best paired with Savard. Mailloux, Barron, Reinbacher develop faster and go on better career if played season or two paired with defensive guru

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Will he bring something we don't already have in our system or will he just end up just being more of the same which is my guess.
I liked your idea about William Carrier better because he does play a role and brings something we lack.
Goal scoring winger is something we lack

Could be a good partner for Dach

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Goal scoring winger is something we lack

Could be a good partner for Dach
Scoring goals in Utica isn't scoring goals in the NHL.
We already have Newhook who can score at that pace.
I don't see it. What would it cost to land him here?
I'd rather save our better assets and picks for a much bigger prize.
That is exactly why I'd prefer to aim lower over the summer if it can't be done.
Fix what holes we can evaluate what we currently have and then try to make that big splash the following year.
Perhaps if we had a full season with Kirby we'd know better but we really don't.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023

Roy - Dvorak - Gallagher
RHP - Evans - Armia
Pezzetta

They need to add a top 6 forward one way or another and push Anderson on the 3th line and Gallagher on the 5th. Odds are it's gonna be done by trade.

If they have ambitions of making the playoffs next season, Gallagher can't start on the 3rd and i'd rather have RHP and Armia over him on the 4th.
They're already too small and slow as it is.

I think Gallagher is gonna be the big problem. I don't see him accepting being a healthy scratch.

Getting an upgrade on Dvorak would be nice too.

If they can accomplish that and draft a forward with their 1st this summer, they won't have many spots to fill in the coming years other than a couple of bottom 6s.
So the rebuild would be pretty much over.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Scoring goals in Utica isn't scoring goals in the NHL.
We already have Newhook who can score at that pace.
I don't see it. What would it cost to land him here?
I'd rather save our better assets and picks for a much bigger prize.
That is exactly why I'd prefer to aim lower over the summer if it can't be done.
Fix what holes we can evaluate what we currently have and then try to make that big splash the following year.
Perhaps if we had a full season with Kirby we'd know better but we really don't.
He scored 13 goals this year while playing only 11 min by games. In a bigger hole, I can definitely see him scoring 25G and +

And he’s a better goal scorer then Newhook

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad