Votes: 26 14.1%
  • No one this summer

Votes: 76 41.1%

• Total voters

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Anyone know how to un ignore a thread, just realized I accidentally hid the 2024 draft thread

1710187484457.png

click your name at the top right, then -> Ignoring.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Keep cleaning up after Bergy boy

Price, Gally, Anderson, Dvorak, Armia = 30M
And those 4 guys take up 4/12 forward spots, they won't be waived or scratched long term.

I don't understand shopping lists with the likes of Mantha/Duclair/etc. They're the same type of complimentary players we already have and are waiting to get rid of. We shouldn't lock ourselves up for even more years with middle 6 players when the top 6 isn't yet in order.

Those are the guys a team signs when they have a strong top 6 and no one in the pipeline to play in the middle of the forward lineup. That's about the furthest from our situation as it could be.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The shopping list:

1RD
3C
2RW
Bottom 6 options on W.

The options:
Roy
Montour
Stephenson
Monahan
Lindholm
Debrusk
Perry

already in the org:
newhook
Reinbacher
Beck
Kapanen
Mailloux
Dvorak
Evans

Reactions: Deam78

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
The shopping list:

1RD
3C
2RW
Bottom 6 options on W.

The options:
Roy
Montour
Stephenson
Monahan
Lindholm
Debrusk
Perry

already in the org:
newhook
Reinbacher
Beck
Kapanen
Mailloux
Dvorak
Evans
Forgot about Roy, he'd be a good option too!
I'd love Stephenson, but would need to overpay I believe

What do you think about Wennberg? He'd be one of my target

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Forgot about Roy, he'd be a good option too!
I'd love Stephenson, but would need to overpay I believe

What do you think about Wennberg? He'd be one of my target
Yeah Wennberg and Roslovic are also good options for 3c IMO, depending on the price. Stephenson would take off a lot of pressure on Nick though.

Roy IMO would be the main target, assuming hes not gonna break the bank and all. Hed be a very good stop gap until DR is ready. If Mailloux is ever ready he can make Roy a very good 3RD as he ages into his 3-5 years contract.

Reactions: Deam78

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Random thought: we don't want to end up like Ottawa, giving up high picks for players in their prime before the core of kids is ready. The Debrincat and Chychrun acquisitions are looking expensive (asset-wise) and overall problematic. Adding players in their prime is for 2026 or so.

The idea behind those trades is still the right one and if Hughes acquired a DeBrincat type for Winnipeg's 1st this summer I wouldn't be mad at all. We need a top-6 forward anyway next year, we are not starting with Armia or Anderson on that top-6.

Ottawa's problems are goaltending and team defense. DeBrincat didn't want to be there and Chychrun doesn't fit in, it doesn't mean the same will happen to us if we make this type of move.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
The idea behind those trades is still the right one and if Hughes acquired a DeBrincat type for Winnipeg's 1st this summer I wouldn't be mad at all. We need a top-6 forward anyway next year, we are not starting with Armia or Anderson on that top-6.

Ottawa's problems are goaltending and team defense. DeBrincat didn't want to be there and Chychrun doesn't fit in, it doesn't mean the same will happen to us if we make this type of move.

If its analogous to Ottawa acquiring DeBrincat, it would be for Montreal's 1st, not Winnipeg's.

And Hughes has been making trades to acquire talent every offseason. He's not going to stop now.

Galchenyuk15

Jan 2, 2013
Personally, I don't think he will sign/trade for a center. Without injury we start the year with Suzuki-Dach-Dvorak-Evans; you don't build a team of 6 centers because they are injury prone! Even if we trade the 2 lasts at the deadline, we can promote Beck to have a good taste of the NHL and a spark plug like Gignac/White can do the job has the 4th center to finish the year.

Don't try to shortcut the rebuild we are not there yet! If next year, we compete for a playoff or do the playoffs it's a pretty good thing but don't loose the big picture. We still need time to mature and wait the end of some contracts. Now we have 4 to 6 handicap players on the team who take close of 35-40% of the money we can spend.

Stop believing in miracle, we don't have Price anymore and we can't compete in this situation even if we wanted; I don't see us targetting a UFA at all in this condition. We have 4 forwards in the right spot in the Top 6, 1 young offensive player in Roy, a top 9 with Newhook and all the others forwards are in the wrong chair, wrong sport or the wrong league except RHP and Evans as 4th line player! We will still have ups and downs next year and they don't expect too be good at all; look at the roster ....

I think they will try to trade for a young offensive player like Dach, I hope for one with good offensive potential like Kent Johnsson, I know is not available, and if they can make a good hockey deal they will do it even if we are not there yet because they have the assets to do a big trade and you don't always choose when someone become available. They will find a way to trade picks, quantity for quality, in targetting a player or simply picks! Keep an eye on Pittsburgh if they keep their pick, Top 10, in the Karlsson trade, we need quality, they need quantity and they can't wait after a prospect they need help now or more mature prospect to be able to help sooner!

My biggest fear is they will trade Jayden Struble this summer because his value his probably at the maximum and we have too much defenseman! Personally, I will love to keep him a year and try to make a big deal with him, Newhook after a year has a top 6, prospects, picks in the next summer for one of the missing piece.

Summer 2025 will be the big splash when he will put this team in competitive mode with the money and the assets he will have. They will didn't do anything big before that but I hope I'm wrong and he will make something before but we still in the "Bergy Purge"!

Galchenyuk15

Jan 2, 2013
I hope we will be lucky at the lottery and be able to draft a forward : Celebrini, Demidov or Lindstrom. I like Catton and Iginla too if we are not lucky, I like more Catton has a player but if Iginla have half the nuts of his father he will bring something every team dream to have when they try to win; heart, character and leadership!

Last edited:

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
No one this summer, they are clearly targeting 2025 summer to start adding good players. 2025-2026 will finally be an exciting season

Reactions: Nevins

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I think we can add good player both years
Way more than that.

Going into Summer 2024, we have the followeing cap dollars available, assuming $87.5M cap and Price on LTIR.

21 man roster - free space $19.183M assuming $500k of boinuses carried forward

Extend Xhekaj and Barron $2.383 combined

We are at $16.8M

By end of 2024-25, coming off the books are:
  • Savard, Armia, Dvorak, Kovacevic, Evans: $12.817M
  • Retention $4.268M
  • not counting possible trades of Anderson or Matheson or Gallagher
  • Cap goes up another $2.000M
We will have available cap of $33.885M and have to fill 5 spots. Assume 1 spot at minimum or ELC.

So we have 4 spots to fill and $33,000,000 at our disposal to do so. However, about $12M might first go in raises to Slaf and Guhle.

So we have enough money to pay out salaries of $8.0M, $6.0M, $5.0M and $2.0M to the four players replacing the rest of the departing crew.

Move Anderson and that's $5.5M for another middle-sixer.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The first thing I'd like to see is a serious upgrade on Michael Pezzetta.
Marty doesn't like him doesn't play him and we can do much better if we decide to pay a few $$$$.

The attributes have to be as folllows.
Size Strength Speed Nastiness Smart and a Team Guy.
Good on the PK would be a huge bonus.

We really need a foil for Arber Xhekaj any ideas anyone?

therocket9

Sep 15, 2021
Way more than that.

Going into Summer 2024, we have the followeing cap dollars available, assuming $87.5M cap and Price on LTIR.

21 man roster - free space $19.183M assuming $500k of boinuses carried forward

Extend Xhekaj and Barron $2.383 combined

We are at $16.8M

By end of 2024-25, coming off the books are:
  • Savard, Armia, Dvorak, Kovacevic, Evans: $12.817M
  • Retention $4.268M
  • not counting possible trades of Anderson or Matheson or Gallagher
  • Cap goes up another $2.000M
We will have available cap of $33.885M and have to fill 5 spots. Assume 1 spot at minimum or ELC.

So we have 4 spots to fill and $33,000,000 at our disposal to do so. However, about $12M might first go in raises to Slaf and Guhle.

So we have enough money to pay out salaries of $8.0M, $6.0M, $5.0M and $2.0M to the four players replacing the rest of the departing crew.

Move Anderson and that's $5.5M for another middle-sixer.
Petry and Allen also coming off the books and u can buyout Gallagher and have even more cap space.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Petry and Allen also coming off the books and u can buyout Gallagher and have even more cap space.
Yes, I said that, referring to it as "retention" coming off the books for $4.268M

Marty doesn't like him doesn't play him and we can do much better if we decide to pay a few $$$$.

In a year or two, we might have the Deputy.

But seriously, is it really the case that before a top-line scorer, an effective shutdown guy like 2021 Danault, a deft PMD or a .910 SVP goaltender, you want a better 4th liner?

Last edited:
Reactions: Deus ex machina

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I've always been willing to take back Barclay Goodrow's contract if it helps us get a deal done to trade Anderson to the Rangers. Goodrow could provide some of the things you list. It sounds like he could be a foil for Arber Xhekaj, most importantly.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I've always been willing to take back Barclay Goodrow's contract if it helps us get a deal done to trade Anderson to the Rangers. Goodrow could provide some of the things you list. It sounds like he could be a foil for Arber Xhekaj, most importantly.
Goodrow is one year older. He has 57 career goals in 554 games versus 130 for Anderson in 517 games.

Goodrow's contract has the same term, and he is paid more than Armia at $3.642M while only registering one goal this season.

There is no way I'd recommend to make this deal one for one to save $1.858M of cap unless there is a first coming back to us.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Goodrow is one year older. He has 57 career goals in 554 games versus 130 for Anderson in 517 games.

Goodrow's contract has the same term, and he is paid more than Armia at $3.642M while only registering one goal this season.

There is no way I'd recommend to make this deal one for one to save $1.858M of cap unless there is a first coming back to us.

I wouldn't make the deal 1 for 1. I'd make it with Kakko or Gabe Perreault attached.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
I'd wait, UFA wise, perhaps some real toughness in the bottom-6 to add some grit to the forward group would be nice, but we do have some UFA-to-be to figure out first, and I agree with what some said already, I think 2025 will be the time to try to make a splash. We're not just 1 quality player away from contention, we're 'experience away' though.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I wouldn't make the deal 1 for 1. I'd make it with Kakko or Gabe Perreault attached.
Sure, they are equivalent of a first to me.

I'd wait, UFA wise, perhaps some real toughness in the bottom-6 to add some grit to the forward group would be nice, but we do have some UFA-to-be to figure out first, and I agree with what some said already, I think 2025 will be the time to try to make a splash. We're not just 1 quality player away from contention, we're 'experience away' though.
We have the space to add three to four quality players next year, not just one.

And the experience needed to play in the playoffs without grabbing the big prize can start next year, with Suzuki 25 years old already.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Stand still this summer and go all in on Draisaitl summer 2025 if he’s a free agent.
A hundred million times this.

It's 'my' hopeful secret plan, and I'm praying to god its HuGo's secret plan as well

Don't spend nothing this year but sign Arber, trade deadweight this summer/next deadline/ next summer

Offer the moon to Drai, and let's make some noise for 5-6 years and try to win this thing

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

You're not going to get a Kakko or Perreault unless Anderson was playing at his previous level (or gets back there). New York probably wouldn't even do it one for one without Montreal adding.

I do get the logic, but at the same time it may be worth it to just see what Anderson looks like next season. It can't get any worse and it makes some sense to just let him play his game instead of trying to teach him to make plays or defend.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Random thought: we don't want to end up like Ottawa, giving up high picks for players in their prime before the core of kids is ready. The Debrincat and Chychrun acquisitions are looking expensive (asset-wise) and overall problematic. Adding players in their prime is for 2026 or so.
The only high pick I would consider giving up is for 23 year old Zegras.

Count me out of these proposed deals of multiple assets for Crosby or Letang.

I don't want to know anything about the UFA. The Canadian is rebuilding and I want to see good draft selections, good prospect development and see them test at the NHL level. In my opinion, the Habs must above all stock up on offensive talent during the next two drafts and then they can think about adding talented veterans to have a team capable of going far during the playoffs. So no UFA before 2026-2027 .I have too many memories of botched reconstruction where everything always has to be redone. I want a good team with a core of young talent for the years to come...and maybe a Stanley Cup.
It's not either/or.

Without trading any core pieces, the talent build should be accelerated now. There is plenty of cap space, why leave it unused?

Reactions: Habsfan2992

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad