Speculation: Summer 2018 Roster Discussion Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

Staal is an interesting case. I don’t think he is truly that elite #1C and he sucked in the playoffs but he is a goal scoring F3 who plays center which is exactly what we need.

Meier-Thornton-Pavelski
Hertl-Couture-LaBanc
Kane-Staal-Donskoi
Sorensen-Suomela-Goodrow

Pretty solid depth, just missing the true game breaker.

If they added Staal he is on the top 2 lines. No way he plays 3C. Dude is still a beast especially with the right wingers.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I think if you add Staal you play him as 2C. Move Couture to Wing and Hertl as 3C.

Kane-Jumbo-Pavs
Couture-Staal-Labanc/Donskoi
Meier-Hertl-Donskoi/Labanc
??-??-??

Honestly I think by the trade deadline they may prefer Jumbo at 3c to take advantage of match ups. Dude's gonna be feeling it by the end of the year and they're going to have to lean on him the first half of the year.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I think an underrated part of all these moves this summer is that the team removed weak possession forwards from the roster. I try to support anyone who plays for the Sharks, however, Boedker and Tierney both had a lot or warts. I was happy to see Boedker contribute toward the end of the year, but he is still one of the worst possession forwards in the league. Tierney was decent on the PK, but he was a black hole possession wise. He absolutely refused to shoot the puck and he's no Jumbo with his passes. I attribute most of his numbers to Meier and DW did an excellent job selling high on him.

Yeah, Braun had an awful year possession wise. I'm curious to see how he will do as a third-pair defenseman.

I love where the team is at for the future. Jumbo's career is winding down and now the Sharks have the ability to keep a competitive team and remain an attractive destination with Karlsson in the fold (hopefully for a long time). Giving the young guys a shot in camp and putting them on the roster will keep the Euro free agents coming. DW said himself that European FAs seek out SJ because there is always an opportunity. Moreover, Merkley looks like a stud and the upcoming forwards will be serviceable. What other GM has been able to accomplish all of this for his team without a full rebuild?

None of this guarantees a cup. But I prefer a team that could win it all to a team that sucks its way to a championship.

Interesting point re: possession numbers. Only karlsson and Sorensen remain as sub 50% guys.

Sorensen hanging on due to playoffs and karlsson filling a 4th liner need most likely.

That leaves all strong lines possession wise. Plus jumbo added in.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Interesting point re: possession numbers. Only karlsson and Sorensen remain as sub 50% guys.

Sorensen hanging on due to playoffs and karlsson filling a 4th liner need most likely.

That leaves all strong lines possession wise. Plus jumbo added in.
Sorensen only came into his own in the last 5-10 games of the season so I'm not really surprised by his numbers

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
I think PDB does look at possession as he will reference analytics in interviews from time to time. Hearing that Sorenson started to turn his game around possession wise is encouraging to hear. I think he will be a player who can create 4th line mismatches with his speed. I also hope that EK65 springs him for breakaways.

Reading some of the rumors from these boards indicated that Melker and Braun could have been part of a potential EK65. I'm not saying these rumors are true, but the Sharks seem to make negative possession players available. Garrioch's report of Tierney, Boedker, and Martin being available all last year support this argument too.

I want the sharks to take a wait and see approach with Braun. If he cannot play third-pairing d and crush the competition, then he needs to go at this point. Could probably get a third liner for him easily. I'd personally push for a round 1 pick and settle for a 2nd and late round pick. D-man are usually overvalued at the deadline.

I don't want any PTOs at this point. Let the young guys have until the deadline and see what's out there. I wouldn't mind a 2 way contract for Shore. I would sign Winnik for league minimum for the 4th line and PK.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
We have to give Suomela and the other Euro guys a chance. One of the reasons they sign with us is because they saw us giving Donskoi, Sorenson, Karlsson a legit chance. If we sign or trade for established players without even giving them a chance then they'll stop signing and we lose out on a source of talent.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I would. PTO and then vet minimum deal. Can't really lose with that.

I haven't watched him much recently, but lots of HF posters say he is done as an NHLer, too slow. Faceoffs are all he has left.

We should have re-signed Fehr is we wanted a vet for that slot.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Nobody worth a damn is or there on a PTO. Let's see what we have and then see what we need

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Address it at the deadline when better solutions will be available. They could rent Nyquist at the deadline to help plug any holes.

FreeVille

Jun 20, 2009
Suomela will make this team and make a similar impact that Donskoi had his first year.

Also think that, as long as he's able to stay healthy, Chartier will earn the 4C role since he does a lot of little things well. Plus it gives Gambrell time in the AHL to center the top line.

One more thing: I think the Sharks might try to go with a 22-man roster to start the season should they enter with a clean sheet of health. This way they accumulate cap space for a potential addition should they need a bottom-six forward (read: center).

What I think it'll be:
Kane-Thornton-Pavs
Hertl-Couture-Meier
Labanc-Suomela-Donskoi
Sorensen-Chartier-Goodrow/Karlsson
Praplan (if Sharks go into season banged up)

Vlasic-Karlsson
Ryan-Burns
Dillon-Braun
Heed

Jones
Dell

AHL lineup:
Halbgewachs-Gambrell-Sandberg
Kotkov-Letunov-Praplan/Perron (if Sharks don't need extra man)
Radil-True-Weiderer
Gregor-Clifton-Martin
Schoenborn/Perron

Middleton-Roy
Simek-DeSimone
Fitzgerald-Wood
Donaghey/Brodzinski

Bibeau
Korenar

Bottom six might be an issue for the big club, and there are few options on the Cuda--can't see anyone outside of Gambrell and (hopefully) Praplan, maybe Sandberg or True (if he surprises at camp), being NHL ready should we need them. Maybe Radil shows he can play N.A. hockey?

Defense should be set (both goalies and defenseman) with decent depth (Bibeau, Middleton/Simek/Wood/maybe Donaghey).

This might be the best team in franchise history from top to bottom.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I get the feeling that Kane is going to burst out and have an amazing season. I thought this before Karlsson...now with Karlsoon, I expect it to happen.

Same, I fully expect him to be in the 35 goals 65-70 point range. The real question is, will our top 2 point leaders be defensemen? When is the last time that happened in the NHL (if ever)? I could see Karlsson and Burns both hitting 75-80 points and leading the team.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
He has it as an “E4” which tends to be at least a little more accurate...

I can’t imagine. We need forwards. What could they possibly give us?

Nah, makes zero sense.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Swapping a winger for a center would make sense for us right now. But Donkey is so cheap this year and also hes kinda awesome. That said maybe this is due to him getting more money this next contract and the Sharks trying to resign EK and keep Pavs somehow?

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
He has it as an “E4” which tends to be at least a little more accurate...

I can’t imagine. We need forwards. What could they possibly give us?

Nah, makes zero sense.

Do they have a center that would be useful to us? Drouin...?:eek::naughty::laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad