Speculation: Summer 2018 Roster Discussion Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Having Karlsson is amazing but not icing Paul Martin or Dylan Demelo is such a huge bonus.

Paul Martin was so awesome during the 2016 season and SCF run, which made his contract easily worth it and I would give him the same contract all over again even with the advantage of hindsight. But that blunder in Game 3 OT against Vegas makes it hard to remember that. :laugh:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
We all know that Burns, Vlasic and Thornton can and do defend themselves. It’ll be nice to have Kane there to stove in the faces of anyone who touches any of our less salty players. Dillon has done an ok job, but he seems a little too nice.

Dillon does what he can. Frankly he's just not on the ice enough to be effective in that role and typically you don't want a D-man taking 5 min majors to protect people. Just not in the Sharks philosophy.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
My ideal PP after thought:

Couture - Thornton - Pavelski
Burns - Karlsson

Kane - Hertl - Meier
Donskoi - Vlasic

That second forward unit would be heavy and hard to play against.

I agree with the other posters above, Labanc cannot be left off the PP.

Since Kane sucks on the pp I would take him out, but since I doubt Deboer will do that, Labanc for Donskoi.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Kane should be used kind of like marleau was. generate clean entries on the PP and look for shots, but otherwise move the puck around and kind of get out of the way until you're needed.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I get the feeling that Kane is going to burst out and have an amazing season. I thought this before Karlsson...now with Karlsoon, I expect it to happen.

Kane does scream the one sharks player that will take advantage of those stretch passes that karlsson loves to do.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Kane does scream the one sharks player that will take advantage of those stretch passes that karlsson loves to do.

And Hertl. He powers through defense carrying the puck on his own, can't wait to see Karlsson feeding him.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Staal is an interesting case. I don’t think he is truly that elite #1C and he sucked in the playoffs but he is a goal scoring F3 who plays center which is exactly what we need.

Meier-Thornton-Pavelski
Hertl-Couture-LaBanc
Kane-Staal-Donskoi
Sorensen-Suomela-Goodrow

Pretty solid depth, just missing the true game breaker.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017

Staal is an interesting case. I don’t think he is truly that elite #1C and he sucked in the playoffs but he is a goal scoring F3 who plays center which is exactly what we need.

Meier-Thornton-Pavelski
Hertl-Couture-LaBanc
Kane-Staal-Donskoi
Sorensen-Suomela-Goodrow

That would be an amazing forward group to trot out in front of the D we have. No need for a game changing forward when we have two on the blue line that will be out for 50 minutes a game.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I genuinely believe Nash signs with us on a sweet heart deal. He was grossly overpaid on that last contract, but he is still a good hockey player. The underlying metrics are all good, even if he isn’t the same goal scorer he once was. If we add him and a TDL rental (or maybe another long term acquisition), we could very realistically have one of the better forward groups in the league.

I would love to see something like this:

Kane - Jumbo - Pavelski
Nash - Couture - Zucc
Timo - Hertl - Donskoi
Sorenson - Sumo - Goodrow

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I genuinely believe Nash signs with us on a sweet heart deal. He was grossly overpaid on that last contract, but he is still a good hockey player. The underlying metrics are all good, even if he isn’t the same goal scorer he once was. If we add him and a TDL rental (or maybe another long term acquisition), we could very realistically have one of the better forward groups in the league.

I would love to see something like this:

Kane - Jumbo - Pavelski
Nash - Couture - Zucc
Timo - Hertl - Donskoi
Sorenson - Sumo - Goodrow

I wouldn’t sign Nash just to bump LaBanc out of a spot. LaBanc is 22 and he’s probably the better player right now.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose

Meier-Thornton-Pavelski
Hertl-Couture-LaBanc
Kane-Staal-Donskoi
Sorensen-Suomela-Goodrow

I'd love Staal, but his value is probably inflated right now. What would the trade be there?

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
I think an underrated part of all these moves this summer is that the team removed weak possession forwards from the roster. I try to support anyone who plays for the Sharks, however, Boedker and Tierney both had a lot or warts. I was happy to see Boedker contribute toward the end of the year, but he is still one of the worst possession forwards in the league. Tierney was decent on the PK, but he was a black hole possession wise. He absolutely refused to shoot the puck and he's no Jumbo with his passes. I attribute most of his numbers to Meier and DW did an excellent job selling high on him.

Yeah, Braun had an awful year possession wise. I'm curious to see how he will do as a third-pair defenseman.

I love where the team is at for the future. Jumbo's career is winding down and now the Sharks have the ability to keep a competitive team and remain an attractive destination with Karlsson in the fold (hopefully for a long time). Giving the young guys a shot in camp and putting them on the roster will keep the Euro free agents coming. DW said himself that European FAs seek out SJ because there is always an opportunity. Moreover, Merkley looks like a stud and the upcoming forwards will be serviceable. What other GM has been able to accomplish all of this for his team without a full rebuild?

None of this guarantees a cup. But I prefer a team that could win it all to a team that sucks its way to a championship.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I think an underrated part of all these moves this summer is that the team removed weak possession forwards from the roster. I try to support anyone who plays for the Sharks, however, Boedker and Tierney both had a lot or warts. I was happy to see Boedker contribute toward the end of the year, but he is still one of the worst possession forwards in the league. Tierney was decent on the PK, but he was a black hole possession wise. He absolutely refused to shoot the puck and he's no Jumbo with his passes. I attribute most of his numbers to Meier and DW did an excellent job selling high on him.

Yeah, Braun had an awful year possession wise. I'm curious to see how he will do as a third-pair defenseman.

I love where the team is at for the future. Jumbo's career is winding down and now the Sharks have the ability to keep a competitive team and remain an attractive destination with Karlsson in the fold (hopefully for a long time). Giving the young guys a shot in camp and putting them on the roster will keep the Euro free agents coming. DW said himself that European FAs seek out SJ because there is always an opportunity. Moreover, Merkley looks like a stud and the upcoming forwards will be serviceable. What other GM has been able to accomplish all of this for his team without a full rebuild?

None of this guarantees a cup. But I prefer a team that could win it all to a team that sucks its way to a championship.

Tierney P/60 with Timo: 1.53
Tierney CF% with Timo: 53.99%
Tierney FF% with Timo: 54.84%
Tierney GF% with Timo: 53.57%

Tierney P/60 without Timo: 1.18
Tierney CF% without Timo: 46.72%
Tierney FF% without Timo: 47.50%
Tierney GF% without Timo: 43.14%

Numbers are pretty self-explanatory, little baby Tierney needed big boy Timo with him to produce at a respectable rate and not to get caved in in terms of both possession and goals. Sad!

I'd love Staal, but his value is probably inflated right now. What would the trade be there?

I would imagine it would be a package of futures at the deadline; if Minnesota trades Staal at the deadline, it’s probably because they aren’t contending.

Beethovens 10th

du bist ein ungeduldiges Eichhörnchen!
Sep 27, 2017
Zentralfriedhof
@realDonaldTrump: Little baby Tierney needed big boy Timo with him to produce at a respectable rate and not to get caved in in terms of both possession and goals. Sad!

giphy.gif

:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad