Speculation: Summer 2018 Roster Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
“And while Tavares could have had an equal opportunity to win and enjoy life in San Jose, no doubt about it, Marleau put it rather simply when he underlined the ultimate reasoning in why both he and Tavares ended up with the rising Leafs.
“I went to Toronto to win a Cup, so has John,” Marleau said.
No doubt in my mind Marleau would have also sent his old pal Thornton a message over the past week wondering what the UFA centre was up to. Remember that a year ago they contemplated going to Toronto together as a package.”

From Lebruns article, so Patty jumped ship to win a cup with a team that has no d-core and hasn’t won a playoff series in how long? Glad Jumbo is staying loyal and wants to win a cup with the team he bleeds for. Patty is gutless.

Hope Doug finds the right trade for us.

Well, I was willing to give Marleau the benefit of the doubt based on the tweet, but this settles my feelings on the matter. Screw him.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
If we were to acquire Bobby Ryan what prevents us from having him develop a mysterious allergy to his equipment like the Blackhawks are doing with Hossa, then LTIR him for the remainder of the contract? Ottawa doesn't want to do something like that because they'd still be on the hook for his salary $$$ but with Hasso at the helm it sounds like money is no issue.

Also Ryan is such a band aid boy we probably wouldn't even need to invent an injury.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
If we were to acquire Bobby Ryan what prevents us from having him develop a mysterious allergy to his equipment like the Blackhawks are doing with Hossa, then LTIR him for the remainder of the contract? Ottawa doesn't want to do something like that because they'd still be on the hook for his salary $$$ but with Hasso at the helm it sounds like money is no issue.

Also Ryan is such a band aid boy we probably wouldn't even need to invent an injury.
Why does Ottawa even care about Ryan? They have so much space and it only brings EKs price down. Cheap cheap

JackSkellington

Pumpkin King
Feb 18, 2016
South Florida
Tavares wasnt coming here point blank, whether Marleau told him how great the Sharks organization is or whatever. Tavares was set on playing for his hometown team from the get go since money clearly didnt matter since he took a lower offer and his mind was set up for days before he signed Sunday. All this meeting with teams was a ploy to get Toronto to ante up, Tavares was not gonna go to the west coast when him and his fiance are from the Toronto area. We all shouldve seen it coming, either way after all this tavares bs i never had anything against the Leafs and their fans but now I hope that team fails miserably. Just hope DW has some magic up his ass because this team right now is a 2nd round exit

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Well, I was willing to give Marleau the benefit of the doubt based on the tweet, but this settles my feelings on the matter. Screw him.

Not to mention Patty is full of s***. He left for Toronto because they were the only team willing to give him 3 years and at 6+ million per year. The same way Tavares would be lying if he said the reason he went to Toronto is because they are contenders. No it's because it's his hometown and because his Fiancee calls the shots.

Reactions: JackSkellington

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Tavares wasnt coming here point blank, whether Marleau told him how great the Sharks organization is or whatever. Tavares was set on playing for his hometown team from the get go since money clearly didnt matter since he took a lower offer and his mind was set up for days before he signed Sunday. All this meeting with teams was a ploy to get Toronto to ante up, Tavares was not gonna go to the west coast when him and his fiance are from the Toronto area. We all shouldve seen it coming, either way after all this tavares bs i never had anything against the Leafs and their fans but now I hope that team fails miserably. Just hope DW has some magic up his ass because this team right now is a 2nd round exit

Yeah I never seen a more arrogant fanbase. Not even Pens fans were this arrogant after winning back to back cups. But we have Leaf fans calling their team a soon to be dynasty and other crap like that when they haven't won anything yet. They are even talking about getting McDavid in a few years because everyone wants to be a Leaf.

Reactions: ChompChomp
Jul 10, 2010
Why does Ottawa even care about Ryan? They have so much space and it only brings EKs price down. Cheap cheap
because Eugene Melnyk is a cheap f***ing piece of dog shit and would rather the Sens be a last place team with him spending no money, than be a winning team while spending money

This isnt about cap space or anything its about real dollars

jwhitesj

Oct 9, 2006
Downtown San Jose

I agree. I feel used. I hope the leafs finish 9th in their conference every year while Tavares is there. No playoffs, No top 10 draft picks.

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
They're somehow like $200mil+ in debt and essentially want to operate a cap floor team if they aren't gonna be competitive. Ryan impedes that.

Yeah, they're apparently willing to shell out for Karlsson but have no intention of spending the money to build a half-way decent team around him. It's a bizarre and truly depressing situation. That franchise is in absolute freefall, and I think it gets worse before it gets better.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
Amazing how Marleau didn't campaign for the Sharks while being on another team trying to acquire Tavares.

I'll bet if the Leafs weren't involved he would have sung the praises of San Jose when asked.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
Yeah, they're apparently willing to shell out for Karlsson but have no intention of spending the money to build a half-way decent team around him. It's a bizarre and truly depressing situation. That franchise is in absolute freefall, and I think it gets worse before it gets better.

Dude should be forced to sell.

Jul 10, 2010
ive heard they wont even shell out for EK, thats why they want to trade him. they dont want to pay one guy the 11m a year they think he'll cost

JackSkellington

Pumpkin King
Feb 18, 2016
South Florida
Yeah I never seen a more arrogant fanbase. Not even Pens fans were this arrogant after winning back to back cups. But we have Leaf fans calling their team a soon to be dynasty and other crap like that when they haven't won anything yet. They are even talking about getting McDavid in a few years because everyone wants to be a Leaf.
f*** them, i hope DW offer sheets matthews and or marner when their time is up. i guess the leafs are gonna try to win games 6-5, last time i checked to win the cup you need to have anything that resembles a defense or a goalie that can pick up the whole team and Toronto has neither

Reactions: SjMilhouse

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Glad to see Jumbo stay. I know he’s back with 2 bad knees but this team gets better with him on the ice.
As for DW, I think he needs to do what he has to to get Seguin. Just do it. We need him in the way we needed Tavares, someone to slide into the top line for the next 7-8 years. We won’t draft that kind of player. We can’t take a chance on him in the free agent market.
Sell the farm. Let him be here, see the area, experience the fans and be in our locker room. Sign him and have the one two punch at center with Couture.
We have a lot of forwards in the system.
Go Sharks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad