Summer '15 Thread II (All Proposals/Blog Rumors in here)

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
He was still with Everett in 2012-13. He had the shoulder injury, but was not going to play here anyway. Not sure why that counts against him or as a 'year' with the CBJ.

Uhh because he lost almost an entire year of development. Just because he was in another league doesn't mean it's not injury history. I can easily see why it "counts against him".

Can we not get all defensive about this? He doesn't need protection; he's a big boy. He needs to be healthy. Everyone that knows anything about this topic knows that. He needs to continue his development, for his sake as much as ours.

Oh by defensive, I mean feeling the need to defend him - not that people are taking it personally.

Last edited:

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
He was still with Everett in 2012-13. He had the shoulder injury, but was not going to play here anyway. Not sure why that counts against him or as a 'year' with the CBJ.
Just because it wasn't in the NHL doesn't mean it didn't happen in Blue Jackets. But it is not importanly. Where is he injured-Everett, WJC,SSS or lying on the bed at home, also not importanly. What is important? He is missed a significant amount of games in two of the last three seasons since the draft.

thebus2288*

Ok little experiment....

As of 9/1/15 who would who rather the Bluejackets trade right now...

Brandon Dubinsky or Alexander Wennberg ?

Neither is not an adequate answer.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Ok little experiment....

But why? Maybe if we won the lottery and drafted Mcdavid, but there's no scenario that makes sense.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Ok little experiment....

Neither is certainly an adequate answer. We no longer have the depth at center that we enjoyed at the end of last season with Arty and Letestu gone. Dumb question that has no realistic chance of happening at the moment

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Ok little experiment....

This isn't even fair. Dubinsky is a today player and Wennberg is a tomorrow player. There is room for both of them. Especially since one is on an ELC. Both are valuable

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Ok little experiment....

This is as much of a thought experiment as asking whether I'd prefer to be the top scientist in my field or get mad cow disease.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Ok little experiment....

Why don't we just skip ahead to the part where you triumphantly claim that we'd be better off trading Wennberg, instead of playing along with your false dichotomy?

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Ok little experiment....

Depends on what you can get back for them (supply/demand).
Most teams would value Dubi as a 2nd line C. What could you get back for that?
How would Wennberg be valued? If a team believed his potential maybe you could get a premium player back.

Besides that what is the goal of the CBJ? If it's to win "now" (maybe inside 3 years) then you keep Dubi. He'll likely be better player this year and likely next. If the CBJ thinks the window is 2-6 years out then it's Wenneberg. I don't know the answer to that question - politically the CBJ would be it's to win from here on out but with the salary cap they have a window they are planning for but none of us are privy to that information.

But the only way I would trade either one is if a top pairing d-man who was under contract for at least 2-3 seasons was involved. So if that was available and the window was 1-3 years then keep Dubi.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Why don't we just skip ahead to the part where you triumphantly claim that we'd be better off trading Wennberg, instead of playing along with your false dichotomy?

Not really sure what's he's trying to accomplish as nothing is accomplished by the exercise. It just starts a conversation about a sophomore 20 year old versus an established veteran. What's kind of funny is that Wennberg probably has a similar upside as Dubinsky offensively and is going to be a pretty good 2-way player as Dubinsky is now. They are going to be about the same build, it's not like either is a midget.

He knows they really aren't in a hurry to trade either unless something they can't resist drops in their laps.

Are we really in a position where we really want or need to do anything? We know we are a little light on defense, but a lot of that is probably just developmental issues (in other words should fix itself over the next 3 or 4 seasons). We have a couple of right handed shots that might be ready for some NHL play this season (Madaisky and Paliotta, in addition to another chance for Golo to show us what he has).

We are lighter at center than we were. About all that would be nice right now is a top six RW (which we wouldn't had Horton remained healthy), but we have Bjorkstrand in the pipeline.

Seems to me we're on track. So why are we bothering with this nuisance conversation (myself included)?

Last edited:

thebus2288*

Well thank you David and (somewhat) Blah for actually wording things out. I guess just count me down as a guy who think Dubi will be more valuable than Wennberg in 2020. I know the team hasn't had very good "luck" with "aging" vets, but there are plenty of guys playing very good hockey into their early and mid 30's. Hello, Scott Hartnell. Dubi and Foligno will also be some of those guys.

We should just trade Wisniewski!

Get over it. It will never happen! He's happy and loves being in Columbus, settled down with his family and is best friends with a golfer who lives here. He has a 'no trade' clause and is a very important voice in the room and on the ice. The team and front office loves him. We love him. He loves us. He's also our best defenseman on most nights, and is 1 of the best offensive defenseman in the entire league. Look at the numbers. Kekkalainen and Davidson are in the positions they are for a reason, and they would never move Wiz because it makes us a worse team and we don't have anybody to fill his role......

William WHO??:pullhair::scared:

:nopity:

:razz:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I won't delve deep into the whole Dubinsky/Wennberg comparison - Dubi is obviously better now and Wennberg will pass him at some point in the next ten years. I suspect my "pass point" is going to be later than most here.

Generally I think Dubi isn't getting enough respect. It's hard to imagine that after the love fest a year ago when folks would not let up on the Dubi for captain bandwagon. But as of now people seem to forget that he's a hell of a player. I also noticed that he's getting picked really low in fantasy rankings. I don't play but I check the rankings and Dubi is somewhere in the 200-300 range on yahoo. That's really low for a guy who's scored .7ppg since joining the Jackets. Of course, his injuries are what brings him down.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Flames fan here, looking at your depth chart it looks like there may be weakness at RD. Any interest in Dennis Wideman? He's a very good veteran who would close out your top-4 nicely (along with Savard, Johnson, and Murray). Or are you comfortable with Tyutin or Prout playing alongside one of these players in the top-4?

Would something around Wideman+Granlund for Rychel+Prout be of any interest? Or is Rychel too valuable? How is Bjorkstrand's value compared to Rychel?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Flames fan here, looking at your depth chart it looks like there may be weakness at RD. Any interest in Dennis Wideman? He's a very good veteran who would close out your top-4 nicely (along with Savard, Johnson, and Murray). Or are you comfortable with Tyutin or Prout playing alongside one of these players in the top-4?

Would something around Wideman+Granlund for Rychel+Prout be of any interest? Or is Rychel too valuable? How is Bjorkstrand's value compared to Rychel?

Uhh.. No. You failed to look at cap space even if there was any interest in the player. Even if we somehow fit him in this year (by moving other salary), we'd hurt ourselves next off-season. Flames would have to retain half the salary.

Not sure we're really looking for a 5 million per year stop cap for two years. Almost no chance we'd extend him.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Front office is swearing by the Dmen we have (to a fault? Maybe. We'll see obviously in a month.) and Rychel in a package could get us a better player than Wideman. Thanks but no thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad