TBN: Sullivan: Grigorenko deserves to go pro

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
I was actually under the impression that they didn't have Grigorenko's jersey yet.

Howard Simon asked Ted Black this morning if they were selling his jerseys at the Sabres store today and Black said "I don't think so... no. I don't think he would want to sell Grigorenko jerseys yet either. You make the team then you sell the jersey."

edit: Yeah, beat to it.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
I was actually under the impression that they didn't have Grigorenko's jersey yet.

Howard Simon asked Ted Black this morning if they were selling his jerseys at the Sabres store today and Black said "I don't think so... no. I don't think he would want to sell Grigorenko jerseys yet either. You make the team then you sell the jersey."

edit: Yeah, beat to it.

They were selling them, and they sold out in 30 minutes. My source is a personal email from Ted Black.

Sorry I didn’t do more to help you last time. My apologies. Best regards, TNB PS- #25 jerseys were on sale. Sold out in 30 minutes….

TheAnimal

Dec 10, 2011
Well, I hope he is as advertised at this level and he forces them to keep him up here. If not Q it is and we wait, no huge deal. But it'll be tough making this call though. You get a good Philly team, but if Bryz is playing bad bryz that could lead be tough to evaluate, not to mention Toronto and Carolina x2 and Wash. I don't have much respect for any of those defenses, so he could look amazing yet it could only be a result of the opponent. We'll see. But if he strikes up an obvious chemistry with Leino, I think getting value out of Ville could be mighty tempting to take a shot. Can't wait til sunday.

And by the way, I heard about the board last year, signed up but never got around to reading and most intelligent fan board of any of the others Bills and NHL I visit. Can't wait to see this place when the games get going.

heartsabres*

Vanek was benched in the playoffs in his rookie season too....just saying

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Vanek was benched in the playoffs in his rookie season too....just saying

Vanek had a season - a full season + a playoff run - with the Amerks under his belt. And not only was he playing against "men"...he was playing against the NHL's best AHL-eligible players, because that was a lockout year.

Again, not comparable. This would be a jump from playing with teens to playing with men. Nobody has done that as a center, as far as I can remember, under Ruff.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
This reminds me of the Tyler Myers situation. He came into camp as a kid who was likely going to be sent back to juniors. He then played his handful of games in Buffalo and Ruff and Co. realized they couldn't send him back! Myers compelled them to keep him. He made a convincing case for his ability to play on a routine basis in the NHL.

Grigs has to do the same thing! Give us a solid training camp and 5 games and show us you are too good to be sent back to the Q.

If he can do that, he will, and it will be obvious!

If he is not quite there yet, send him back.

Simple.

JOHNBOY

BUFFALO SABRES
Sep 30, 2003
Denver NC
So Grigs is going to wear #25? I like it. As for him making the team I only seen 2 games from the WJC and just basing off of that I expect to see him back in juniors. I just don't see R/R giving him a 5 game try-out only to play on the 4th line..

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
So Grigs is going to wear #25? I like it. As for him making the team I only seen 2 games from the WJC and just basing off of that I expect to see him back in juniors. I just don't see R/R giving him a 5 game try-out only to play on the 4th line..

His 5-game tryout has him on one of the three main lines, not the "fourth"...he's playing with Leino and Ott. I'd expect those two wingers to see a lot of ice time this year, regardless of who's centering them.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

He's been practicing on the 3rd line with Leino and Ott, and Ruff indicated he may try him with Vanek/Pommer at camp.
Seems like a pretty sure bet to me that he gets a 5 game tryout, and then they have Hecht back in case it doesn't work out.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I think Grigs starting on the 3rd line with Leino and Ott is perfect. Give him 12-13 minutes at ES and then 2+ mins on the PP. If he is getting 15 minutes a game , I think he should be able to handle that , especially since his line will be often getting the opponents 3rd pairing which could lead to a mismatch that would favor us.

At the minimum he needs the 5 game tryout, there is absolutely no reason not to give it to him, even if he isn't ready full time give him the 5 games and Send him back if he is in over his head. If he's anything better then average then keep him up, let him learn on the big club. The half season in the Q has helped immensely, and I think 48 games in the NHL would better his development then another 30 or so games in juniors. Quebec isn't a top team by any stretch of the imagination and probably won't make it anywhere near the Memorial Cup.

JOHNBOY

BUFFALO SABRES
Sep 30, 2003
Denver NC
He's been practicing on the 3rd line with Leino and Ott, and Ruff indicated he may try him with Vanek/Pommer at camp.
Seems like a pretty sure bet to me that he gets a 5 game tryout, and then they have Hecht back in case it doesn't work out.

His 5-game tryout has him on one of the three main lines, not the "fourth"...he's playing with Leino and Ott. I'd expect those two wingers to see a lot of ice time this year, regardless of who's centering them.

I was not aware of that, I really like the idea of a L/G/O line. So then Hecht is presumed to be the fourth line center with Kaleta and Gerbe?

Grigs won't be able to goto Rochester correct? thought I read that somewhere...

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I was not aware of that, I really like the idea of a L/G/O line. So then Hecht is presumed to be the fourth line center with Kaleta and Gerbe?

Grigs won't be able to goto Rochester correct? thought I read that somewhere...

Pros or bust, age restricted to juniors.

billsandsabres

lurking
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
troy, ny
every article sullivan writes is aimed at commiserating with the cynical, jaded buffalo sports fan by playing the fight the power, management is screwing the fans, nothing ever goes right in this town card. he is condescending and negative. i do not like his articles.

as you may guess, i feel his opinion that grigorenko should stay in the nhl this season is based not on a real assessment of his talent, but rather a compulsion to go against the grain of what he perceives sabres management will decide.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I think Grigs starting on the 3rd line with Leino and Ott is perfect. Give him 12-13 minutes at ES and then 2+ mins on the PP. If he is getting 15 minutes a game , I think he should be able to handle that , especially since his line will be often getting the opponents 3rd pairing which could lead to a mismatch that would favor us.

At the minimum he needs the 5 game tryout, there is absolutely no reason not to give it to him, even if he isn't ready full time give him the 5 games and Send him back if he is in over his head. If he's anything better then average then keep him up, let him learn on the big club. The half season in the Q has helped immensely, and I think 48 games in the NHL would better his development then another 30 or so games in juniors. Quebec isn't a top team by any stretch of the imagination and probably won't make it anywhere near the Memorial Cup.

Agree 100%... it's a short season and the Sabres need goal scorers not grinders... The problem is Lindy Ruff is in love with grinders... playoffs not so much.

Grigs will get five games but for some reason I already think Ruff is determined to send him down so the old German can play...

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Most defiantly will make the opening day roster and get 5 games. He is better off up here then in junior imo. This coming from someone who hates rushing prospects.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
What's with the comments saying "I saw him in the WJC...he wasn't impressive" ???

I watched every minute of every game in the tournament. When the Russians were playing, I really watched out for Grigs. I thought he was consistently dangerous in the O zone and very responsible in the D zone.

He strikes me as a future Dale Hawerchuk type. A guy who looks to pass the puck first, but has a knack for making plays and setting people up with a sweet pass. I thought he looked like a future NHL star.

Yakupov, in contrast, looked like a puck hog with blinders on...another Russian who thinks he can do it all on his own with his glorious level of skill. Those guys are worthless in the NHL, especially come playoff time.

Let's see what Grigs can do in camp and in that 5 game tryout! I'm looking forward to it.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
every article sullivan writes is aimed at commiserating with the cynical, jaded buffalo sports fan by playing the fight the power, management is screwing the fans, nothing ever goes right in this town card. he is condescending and negative. i do not like his articles.

as you may guess, i feel his opinion that grigorenko should stay in the nhl this season is based not on a real assessment of his talent, but rather a compulsion to go against the grain of what he perceives sabres management will decide.

Bingo. That is exactly it. Journalism as a whole has gone down the drain. They no longer take a balanced look at anything...they pick a topic and just spin spin spin ..in order to fit their agenda. The more controversy they cause the better. (Web hits,/Ratings).. ask Piers Morgan.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Great to have hockey back boys. So what are the oddmakers saying is Grigorenko's chance of: 6-games, 48-games?

Good to be back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad