Sudbury Wolves 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

Between likely losing Byfield and now Murray, and getting the #1 overall pick so looking to build around Musty, could see the Gens making a big offer for Jack Thompson. Rocco has already been on record saying they're looking to add a top 2 or 4 D-man.

Would make sense for both teams. Sudbury gets some badly needed picks to restock their cupboard, Gens get that top pair D-man who's also a local kid.

Thoughts on this SBY fans? (no inside info just looking at needs for each team)

Reactions: hockeynorth

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Between likely losing Byfield and now Murray, and getting the #1 overall pick so looking to build around Musty, could see the Gens making a big offer for Jack Thompson. Rocco has already been on record saying they're looking to add a top 2 or 4 D-man.

Would make sense for both teams. Sudbury gets some badly needed picks to restock their cupboard, Gens get that top pair D-man who's also a local kid.

Would be a big loss for the wolves obviously, but I definitely see them moving him this season in an attempt to refill the draft pick cache. I do think Thompson is going to be one of the best d-men in the OHL this coming year though.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017

I expect this to happen, so yes I think you're right

I also see Thompson as a DMan of the year contender

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I don't see Wolves trading Thompson, need solid vets to groom rookies.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
need to prioritize the future, Ross will be here for that

I don't see it happening, unless season doesn't go well, Prioritize the future? last two drafts are filled with quality players, and now we have another draft with the #1 pick, we will be fine.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I don't see it happening, unless season doesn't go well, Prioritize the future? last two drafts are filled with quality players, and now we have another draft with the #1 pick, we will be fine.
I really think you sell Thompson at the deadline unless we're a top team, the rest of your core will be nowhere near ready. TBH I'd consider anything less than selling except if we're a top team really really bad asset management. We will be fine, but fine doesn't win championships.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I really think you sell Thompson at the deadline unless we're a top team, the rest of your core will be nowhere near ready. TBH I'd consider anything less than selling except if we're a top team really really bad asset management. We will be fine, but fine doesn't win championships.

Fine doesn't win Championships? Let's see what we have before you think we are not going to do anything, many teams are in same boat because of Covid. Thompson as of right now is a Wolf, depending how team is doing then we can discuss this or he forces the issue for some reason. However, he has developed very well with the Wolves organization giving him every opportunity under Stillman. Don't buy everything you see that someone writes on this board, especially from other teams that post here.

Reactions: Iloveallsports

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Fine doesn't win Championships? Let's see what we have before you think we are not going to do anything, many teams are in same boat because of Covid. Thompson as of right now is a Wolf, depending how team is doing then we can discuss this or he forces the issue for some reason. However, he has developed very well with the Wolves organization giving him every opportunity under Stillman. Don't buy everything you see that someone writes on this board, especially from other teams that post here.
This is my own opinion. Tell me a team that won just being "fine"? It doesn't win. I'm not overly concerned with next year because everyones in the same boat, but post-Byfield we should have been rebuilding for two years anyways to go for it while the Delic/Goyette core are peaking, it's literally the path every team but London takes. Thompson did do excellent as a Wolf, one of my favourites up there with Murray and Phillips since Capo, and I think giving him a shot at a championship would be best for both him and the organization. If we're winning our division, by all means hang on to him! But realistically we will probably be a mid to bottom of the pack team next season, and if that's the case I would personally sell in order to load up the for two years later.

Path 1: 15-20 team, sell Thompson, get assets, go for the championship when Goyette and co are ready. Keeping Thompson is a borderline fireable offence in my opinion if this is the case. This is also what I expect us to be.
Path 2: 10-15 range team, keeping Thompson would be bad asset management, we'd likely be out in R1, with no assets to trade the following year because we used them last season and won't have recouped what we spent this past year. On the flip side, flipping Thompson would likely get us the same playoff result but also assets.
Path 3: 5-10 range team, we could keep Thompson, win a round or two, everyones happy and we get some experience. This wouldn't be the worst asset management but we again wouldn't have assets to use when the next wave was ready, though it's justifiable so okay. On the flip side, selling him could change our trajectory to a 10-15 team, so this really depends on the GMs opinion.
Path 4: top 5 team, we load up, hell yeah go for it. Not loading up would suck.

I'm very firmly an asset management person, I believe the long-term outlook is significantly more important, and also doing right by our players by giving them championship shots makes our organization more reputable. We have had an excellent few years in terms of development and results, we lost out on a playoff run last year sadly, but I believe with the right moves we could see another very shortly. Everyone has their own opinions on this though of course. The total wildcard for next season is if Murray comes back and if OAs are allowed an extra year, if so, I think that'd really boost our depth.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
This is my own opinion. Tell me a team that won just being "fine"? It doesn't win. I'm not overly concerned with next year because everyones in the same boat, but post-Byfield we should have been rebuilding for two years anyways to go for it while the Delic/Goyette core are peaking, it's literally the path every team but London takes. Thompson did do excellent as a Wolf, one of my favourites up there with Murray and Phillips since Capo, and I think giving him a shot at a championship would be best for both him and the organization. If we're winning our division, by all means hang on to him! But realistically we will probably be a mid to bottom of the pack team next season, and if that's the case I would personally sell in order to load up the for two years later.

Path 1: 15-20 team, sell Thompson, get assets, go for the championship when Goyette and co are ready. Keeping Thompson is a borderline fireable offence in my opinion if this is the case. This is also what I expect us to be.
Path 2: 10-15 range team, keeping Thompson would be bad asset management, we'd likely be out in R1, with no assets to trade the following year because we used them last season and won't have recouped what we spent this past year. On the flip side, flipping Thompson would likely get us the same playoff result but also assets.
Path 3: 5-10 range team, we could keep Thompson, win a round or two, everyones happy and we get some experience. This wouldn't be the worst asset management but we again wouldn't have assets to use when the next wave was ready, though it's justifiable so okay. On the flip side, selling him could change our trajectory to a 10-15 team, so this really depends on the GMs opinion.
Path 4: top 5 team, we load up, hell yeah go for it. Not loading up would suck.

I'm very firmly an asset management person, I believe the long-term outlook is significantly more important, and also doing right by our players by giving them championship shots makes our organization more reputable. We have had an excellent few years in terms of development and results, we lost out on a playoff run last year sadly, but I believe with the right moves we could see another very shortly. Everyone has their own opinions on this though of course. The total wildcard for next season is if Murray comes back and if OAs are allowed an extra year, if so, I think that'd really boost our depth.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
You can say that every year with star players on any team, , depends what the real intentions of the comment was made. Too early to make assumptions on the team lets see how it plays out. I don't buy letting our players switching teams to give them an opportunity to win championship. You're a better and respectable player if you do it with your own team, I think we will be pleasantly surprised with the talent of the team. I believe they may need some help in goaltending department, will see if that is addressed during the import draft, trade, or free agent.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Also as an aside, trading Thompson can probably get us the really good young D @dirty12 always says we should be drafting earlier

I will let Papineau and scouting staff take care of that, a lot of it depends how the draft goes, and what players are available are at their pick, I'm confident in this group and what they have planned out. Wolves last draft was excellent, total confidence in what direction they go.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I will let Papineau and scouting staff take care of that, a lot of it depends how the draft goes, and what players are available are at their pick, I'm confident in this group and what they have planned out. Wolves last draft was excellent, total confidence in what direction they go.
their last draft was amazing! I'm so pumped to see them in action

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Fact is the wolves have very few 2nd rounders over the next 5 years, they'll need to fix that somehow. This is an opportunity they'll have to explore.
yes exactly

You can say that every year with star players on any team, , depends what the real intentions of the comment was made. Too early to make assumptions on the team lets see how it plays out. I don't buy letting our players switching teams to give them an opportunity to win championship. You're a better and respectable player if you do it with your own team, I think we will be pleasantly surprised with the talent of the team. I believe they may need some help in goaltending department, will see if that is addressed during the import draft, trade, or free agent.
I really don't think the other posted meant anything malicious and I certainly didn't, sorry if you thought I did though. I really just want the best for our organization and I believe recouping picks and being smart rather than impulsive leads to better long term success. I don't think the team you win with makes you any better or worse a player though, at the end of the day everyone wants to win and I'll take the guy willing to win over the guy who's content with mediocrity on my team every day to be honest. I think the potential future talent will be good, but they'll be young, and that talent won't be enough just yet, I'm perfectly okay with that.

-------------

As an aside, I just saw that we have had 4 players sign NHL ELCs in the past seven months, that is amazing, we need to continue to be the organization that got them there. I'm very proud of the boys from last year, and hope the Wolves continue putting players into the NHL. We will never be London, but I do hope we can get to the Soo's level, and it seems we are well on our way.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
their last draft was amazing! I'm so pumped to see them in action

Not every team is in the same position after COVID cancelled season. Division rivals Barrie, Niagara, NB have many more 2-4 picks over the next few drafts than do the wolves. Barrie is quite possibly the best team in the entire league right now.
The wolves drafted an impressive group of 3 forwards over 4 rounds last year. They selected 3 forwards over 2 rounds the year before. The first D were selected in rounds 4 & 5 respectively in the past two drafts.
Miss took 4 forwards by round 3 last draft, 2 D and 2 F by round 3 the year before. Barrie got 3 F by round 3, forwards in rounds 2 & 3 and two 1st round D the year before. Niagara got a D in round 2 and forwards in each of the first three rounds, and D in rounds 1 & 3 the year before. NB got 3 F & 2 D by round 4 in each of the past two drafts.
The bottom line is the wolves division rivals are more balanced and have more picks going forward. Trading Thompson can help remedy that.

Last edited:

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
You can still get great value all the way up to the deadline. I'd keep Thompson to start the year to fulfill that leadership role due to all the new players that will be coming in, and move him at the deadline for some 2nds and 3rds.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
A nice trend recently with Wolves players earning NHL contracts. Byfield, Phillips, Thompson, and now Murray

Congrats to all of them!
Let's hope that trend continues, it's always great when our guys sign OHL contracts.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Fact is the wolves have very few 2nd rounders over the next 5 years, they'll need to fix that somehow. This is an opportunity they'll have to explore.

Exactly. You can't win if you don't add big in your "win year" and you just can't add without a bunch of high picks, which Sudbury doesn't have. I get what @cub is saying because Thompson is obviously very good, but one of the dumbest things a GM can do in junior hockey is have a star just age out on your roster when you have no chance to win it all. If veteran leadership is the worry, you can easily go trade for an OA d-man and that would cost like one 5th (Sudbury did it with Patrick Sanvido not long ago). It's not worth losing a young player and multiple high picks that you'd get for Thompson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad