Sudbury Wolves 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sudburydinnerjacket

May 28, 2019
Exactly. You can't win if you don't add big in your "win year" and you just can't add without a bunch of high picks, which Sudbury doesn't have. I get what @cub is saying because Thompson is obviously very good, but one of the dumbest things a GM can do in junior hockey is have a star just age out on your roster when you have no chance to win it all. If veteran leadership is the worry, you can easily go trade for an OA d-man and that would cost like one 5th (Sudbury did it with Patrick Sanvido not long ago). It's not worth losing a young player and multiple high picks that you'd get for Thompson

truthfully I don’t see how Oshawa is in any better of a position the Sudbury as of today. But the logic makes sense to deal with a Kingston or Barrie.

Reactions: jamo27

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
truthfully I don’t see how Oshawa is in any better of a position the Sudbury as of today. But the logic makes sense to deal with a Kingston or Barrie.

Kingston is in a good position, despite having no goalie, after that I think just about every team is in a very similar position in terms of a ton of rookies. It will come down to which teams are going to add, which is usually the case anyways, and Tullio has already said he plans on adding a top 4 D, top 6 F and a 1B goalie, which is why I assume the Gens will end up being a good team next year.

If you're comparing SBY vs OSH specifically though, OSH has Tullio, Suni, and Harrison who all likely will be high end to elite forwards. And then after that Hayden Fowler who should be good with the potential to be high end if he's taken a step. On D they'll have Moore, Brewer and Jesus who will be high end and have a veteran goalie in Paputsakis.

SBY has Stillman who should be a high end F but after that I don't think they have any who you can guarantee is a high end F. McCallum has a chance to be if he's taken a step forward, but that's far from a for sure. On D they'll have Thompson who is elite and Ross who should be high end. In net I have no idea what they'll be doing. Weeks as an OA as the starter?

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Kingston is in a good position, despite having no goalie, after that I think just about every team is in a very similar position in terms of a ton of rookies. It will come down to which teams are going to add, which is usually the case anyways, and Tullio has already said he plans on adding a top 4 D, top 6 F and a 1B goalie, which is why I assume the Gens will end up being a good team next year.

If you're comparing SBY vs OSH specifically though, OSH has Tullio, Suni, and Harrison who all likely will be high end to elite forwards. And then after that Hayden Fowler who should be good with the potential to be high end if he's taken a step. On D they'll have Moore, Brewer and Jesus who will be high end and have a veteran goalie in Paputsakis.

SBY has Stillman who should be a high end F but after that I don't think they have any who you can guarantee is a high end F. McCallum has a chance to be if he's taken a step forward, but that's far from a for sure. On D they'll have Thompson who is elite and Ross who should be high end. In net I have no idea what they'll be doing. Weeks as an OA as the starter?
In net will probably either be a young guy or Euro

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
In net will probably either be a young guy or Euro
Yeah the import draft will likely answer a lot of questions for teams. The way I look at it, outside of a couple teams like KGN, BAR, SSM, it will come down to who decides to add and for it next year. Pretty much every team's depth will be extremely young and inexperienced.

I just don't see SBY as one of those teams as they could easily build around a Musty, Stillman, McCallum, Goyette, Delic core and be really good in 3 years potentially.

But you truly never know. The SBY owner could decide he's gone 2 years without making money now and needs to get a playoff gate so he keeps Thompson just so they can make the playoffs as a low seed and get some money back from 2-3 home playoff gates. You assume most teams would dictate their actions by "what move(s) can we make to win a championship at some point" but that unfortunately is not the case sometimes

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
But you truly never know. The SBY owner could decide he's gone 2 years without making money now and needs to get a playoff gate so he keeps Thompson just so they can make the playoffs as a low seed and get some money back from 2-3 home playoff gates. You assume most teams would dictate their actions by "what move(s) can we make to win a championship at some point" but that unfortunately is not the case sometimes

You definitely don’t know for sure, but I’m sure you have a pretty strong feeling of what the top and bottom half eastern teams are, At the top are teams that have 6-7 well above average ‘01 & ‘02 born right now.

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
You definitely don’t know for sure, but I’m sure you have a pretty strong feeling of what the top and bottom half eastern teams are, At the top are teams that have 6-7 well above average ‘01 & ‘02 born right now.
We had our run, should've been last year, the year before that and arguably this season. It was a really good time. We'll be back in very short order I'm sure.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Yeah the import draft will likely answer a lot of questions for teams. The way I look at it, outside of a couple teams like KGN, BAR, SSM, it will come down to who decides to add and for it next year. Pretty much every team's depth will be extremely young and inexperienced.

I just don't see SBY as one of those teams as they could easily build around a Musty, Stillman, McCallum, Goyette, Delic core and be really good in 3 years potentially.

If Ownership thinks rebuilding could line that core up with the new arena, I assume that will be the path, but who knows if the arena is 2 years off or 20 at this point.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I don’t believe a new arena is in the short term plans. City council will pass on any decision making regarding a new arena to the newly voted on council after the next election and the process will star all over again.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
38th pick 2nd round. Formerly of Guelph. Nice haul for Lalonde overall.

OHL Prospects: 2021 OHL Priority Selection Mock Draft

being a huge fan of local talent and particularly this young man, I would be really happy with these selections if it turned out this way. Here comes the we need to use a high pick on a defenceman replies which I do agree with but this kid is too good to pass up!

Would be fantastic to have the Wolves pick up high end local talent, unfortunately I think Pharand will be gone mid/late 1st round, potentially higher.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Funny how the experts said we didn't have a second round pick.

You really came on here to shit on the people who run the "OHL Draft pick database" website, which is what everyone is referencing when talking about future OHL picks?

They're just trying to help fans follow along with what picks their teams own, as it's basically impossible to track because of all the conditionals that aren't announced to the public. I know the cool thing on here is to be cynical and just hate on everything, but come on. Be better

Last edited:

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I had no doubt that Papineau knew he had a 2nd round pick. For some reason on this board he gets criticized that he doesn't know things and oblivious. Has a manager he has done a great job and continues to do so. Some are good at commenting and then editing what they initially said in their comments.

Last edited by a moderator:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
There is a window where you can trade again before the draft, not sure when that is this year though. It's not made public by the league.

there’s been a pick only trade window one week in advance of the priority draft for, a long time. This year, Idk, but I think more teams than usual would want to take advantage of one.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I had no doubt that Papineau knew he had a 2nd round pick. For some reason on this board he gets criticized that he doesn't know things and oblivious. Has a manager he has done a great job and continues to do so. Some are good at commenting and then editing what they initially said in their comments.

That was an extended post that really said nothing and didn't answer my question at all about why you randomly just slammed the OHL Draft pick database guys lol.

Not sure why you always seem to be so angry on here. Take a deep breath. Mix in a smile once in a while.

Reactions: dirty12

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
tbh I dont think anyone has criticized Papineau in a while but I hadn't been getting alerts for this board in a while so I may be wrong

Reactions: Generalsupdates

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Anyways, isn't having that extra second great! Let's see what we do with it, I bet it's Pharand if he's there but otherwise I'm thinking they go goalie. We don't have a stud tendie in the system, meanwhile our blueline is pretty crowded.

Paps has shown while he here prefers taking a bunch of D in the mid rounds, it's worked pretty well so far i.e. Ross, Phillips, Anania

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad