Sudbury Wolves 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I love Byfield but he had a bad tournament i know he wasn't at is normal position but it wasn't pretty.

Byfield was written out of the tournament via gamescript in the first period of the US game. Hayton took a penalty, Canada went down 2-0, and the lines were immediately re-shuffled with Byfield moving down the lineup that quickly. He had 2 shifts in the 1st period of that game, one cut short by Hayton's penalty. At no point was he bad, and he actually played really well in his role as 4th line LW vs the Czechs, Slovaks, and Finland. Remember he had different linemates practically every game, through no real fault of his own really. He did what was asked of him.

His average ice time finished under 10 minutes, down there with Mercer and Lavoie

Reactions: Iloveallsports

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Byfield’s Instagram picture had an interesting comment from one Ttucks19 (Tyler Tucker) saying “Sudssss”, to which Byfield responded “Let’s go”..

Probably means nothing but hey, worth the speculation

Im pretty sure there will be no deal with Barrie, ever.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
Im pretty sure there will be no deal with Barrie, ever.

Tucker prolly referring to champagne here???

That being said, your prolly wrong if your saying there will never be another trade between Barrie and Sudbury... that’s what ever means right? Or did I misinterpret that too?

Reactions: Iloveallsports

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
Byfield was written out of the tournament via gamescript in the first period of the US game. Hayton took a penalty, Canada went down 2-0, and the lines were immediately re-shuffled with Byfield moving down the lineup that quickly. He had 2 shifts in the 1st period of that game, one cut short by Hayton's penalty. At no point was he bad, and he actually played really well in his role as 4th line LW vs the Czechs, Slovaks, and Finland. Remember he had different linemates practically every game, through no real fault of his own really. He did what was asked of him.

His average ice time finished under 10 minutes, down there with Mercer and Lavoie

-4 against russia not good anyway dont mather he won gold and he will be a top 5.

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
-4 against russia not good anyway dont mather he won gold and he will be a top 5.

To say any of those goals against Russia were his fault is a serious reach. The D and Daws were awful in that game.

He'll still go #2. There are some people acting like his draft stock fell because of this tournament and they are utterly clueless...he was the 4th youngest Canadian player to play in the tournament since 2000, only Crosby, McDavid, and Lafreniere making it while younger

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
To say any of those goals against Russia were his fault is a serious reach. The D and Daws were awful in that game.

He'll still go #2. There are some people acting like his draft stock fell because of this tournament and they are utterly clueless...he was the 4th youngest Canadian player to play in the tournament since 2000, only Crosby, McDavid, and Lafreniere making it while younger

Nevermind you'll never get it.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
He'll still go #2.
Almost guaranteed at this stage. There is a good sized gap between the top 2, and the 3-5 group. Earlier this season the question was if Lafreniere would be able to hold off Byfield and retain the top spot. While that question seems to have been put to rest, it is only posters on this board are suggesting that Byfield might drop into the next group.

He will go 2nd overall, and based on historical precedent there is a ~ 5% chance he comes back next year.

Reactions: dirty12 and WaW

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
You would think by now there would be a couple of deals announced. Sudbury is really keeping it last minute or just don’t have a trading partner when it comes down to it.

WJ

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
You would think by now there would be a couple of deals announced. Sudbury is really keeping it last minute or just don’t have a trading partner when it comes down to it.

WJ
Or not wanting to give up a player that the partner wanted, just saying

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
Im not a Sudbury or Byfield fan but there's zero chance he isn't taken 1 or 2. He did just as well as Lafreniere did last year in the tournament. That extra year Lafreniere has had in Jr is huge when it comes to World Jrs and the Draft.
There's no way he's taken #1 after the tournament Lafreniere is going first 100% and yes Byfield probably 2nd.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
I dont doubt that Byfield goes top three. My thoughts are more that he maybe back next year. As opposed to the thought that he 100% would not be back. All talking points of course. I am a big Byfield supporter.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
I dont doubt that Byfield goes top three. My thoughts are more that he maybe back next year. As opposed to the thought that he 100% would not be back. All talking points of course. I am a big Byfield supporter.

so 80% not back? Where do you have it?

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
There's no way he's taken #1 after the tournament Lafreniere is going first 100% and yes Byfield probably 2nd.

I don't totally disagree. It is more then likely Lafreniere will go first. I have two reasons why I can see Byfield jumping him. Not that I think he will, just arguments that he could.

1) Byfield is almost a full year younger then Lafreniere.

2) Lafreniere is a winger, Byfield is a big center. Which position is more valuable? Which type of player is harder to find?

Again, I believe Alexis goes first. He was top notch for Canada the last two weeks. MVP of the tournament. I just don't think you draft a guy based on two weeks. You draft a guy based on who will better help your hockey team 3 years from now and an argument can be made that Byfield COULD be more valuable then Lafreniere. Which team picks also comes into play! I don't see NJ picking another center. They would prefer the winger.

I think this draft has Taylor vs Tyler written all over it.

Last edited:

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I don't totally disagree. It is more then likely Lafreniere will go first. I have two reasons why I can see Byfield jumping him. Not that I think he will, just arguments that he could.

2) Lafreniere is a winger, Byfield is a big center. Which position is more valuable? Which type of player is harder to find?

Again, I believe Alexis goes first. He was top notch for Canada the last two weeks. MVP of the tournament. I just don't think you draft a guy based on two weeks. You draft a guy based on who will better help your hockey team 3 years from now and an argument can be made that Byfield COULD be more valuable then Lafreniere. Which team picks also comes into play! I don't see NJ picking another center. They would look for a winger.

Amen, Yalbmert25.

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007

Again, I believe Alexis goes first. He was top notch for Canada the last two weeks. MVP of the tournament. I just don't think you draft a guy based on two weeks. You draft a guy based on who will better help your hockey team 3 years from now and an argument can be made that Byfield COULD be more valuable then Lafreniere. Which team picks also comes into play! I don't see NJ picking another center. They would prefer the winger.

I get what your saying but you can't not pick Lafreniere if you have first pick even if you need a centre this kid is just amazing.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
All this talk about Byfield is nauseating. Can we change gears and focus on what Deals Papineau will make if any? It’s already been said by Zulich and Papineau that they will not be dealing Byfield.

Sopa to Erie for a 2nd, 3rd and 8th. Cross one import off the list! Janik is out for the year cross another off.

What imports are left? Pekar, Gross.

WJ

Reactions: dirty12

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
All this talk about Byfield is nauseating. Can we change gears and focus on what Deals Papineau will make if any? It’s already been said by Zulich and Papineau that they will not be dealing Byfield.

Sopa to Erie for a 2nd, 3rd and 8th. Cross one import off the list! Janik is out for the year cross another off.

What imports are left? Pekar, Gross.

WJ

"Positive talk about Byfield is nauseating. Can we please go back to the toxic negativity about Papineau?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad