Sudbury Wolves 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouse29

May 28, 2019
Again though, this post seriously undervalues the impact of Byfield being announced #1 or #2 at the draft, and what that will mean for players reporting to the Wolves. A big part of our recruitment issues is the recent lack of NHL draft success. No 1st rounders since 2006 (Nick Foligno) which is a downright embarrassment this franchise should be ashamed of.

We desperately need to fix that. The Sault is more isolated and remote than Sudbury and has nowhere near as many recruitment issues as we have. They also have an excellent recent NHL draft track record. Coincidence? I think not. (Yeah I know playing in the west helps too)

I hear what you are saying and for the most part I agree, it is always nice to enjoy and watch a top caliber player for as long as you can.
However I believe that simply by Byfield being drafted as high as projected sheds a very positive light on the Wolves organization. It shows that the organization has turned the corner and is developing top talent. I also believe that the Wolves have a few other talented up and coming players that will be drafted. This alone shows that the wolves are back.

I am not arguing with you, on the contrary I envy your position, regarding whether to hold or fold.

All I am saying is that by trading Byfield (either this year or next assuming he is returned) will position the Wolves in a very positive situation for the next few years.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
Was one of the reasons I was asking...
If Sudbury isn't going to go all-in, why not get a King's ransom for him.
The return could easily top Konecny/JT's return. I
The trade would turn the entire Western Conference upside down if he was to be traded to the West.

Beleive it or not it's pretty important for the program to have a player drafted in the first round be drafted from the Wolves program. Yes you can get a kings ransom for him but then you don't get the prestige of being part of his development. I believe Nick Foligno was our last player to be drafted in the first round back in 2006! That's crazy!!

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Again though, this post seriously undervalues the impact of Byfield being announced #1 or #2 at the draft, and what that will mean for players reporting to the Wolves. A big part of our recruitment issues is the recent lack of NHL draft success. No 1st rounders since 2006 (Nick Foligno) which is a downright embarrassment this franchise should be ashamed of.

We desperately need to fix that. The Sault is more isolated and remote than Sudbury and has nowhere near as many recruitment issues as we have. They also have an excellent recent NHL draft track record. Coincidence? I think not. (Yeah I know playing in the west helps too)

travel for the Soo outside of the west division & Sudbury is tough. But, it is not any more remote than Sudbury, NB, Kingston, Erie, OS. Actually, the Soo’s geographic situation sets up well to attract MI kids as Flint, Saginaw, Sarnia, Windsor are reasonable drives for family

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I hear what you are saying and for the most part I agree, it is always nice to enjoy and watch a top caliber player for as long as you can.
However I believe that simply by Byfield being drafted as high as projected sheds a very positive light on the Wolves organization. It shows that the organization has turned the corner and is developing top talent. I also believe that the Wolves have a few other talented up and coming players that will be drafted. This alone shows that the wolves are back.

I am not arguing with you, on the contrary I envy your position, regarding whether to hold or fold.

All I am saying is that by trading Byfield (either this year or next assuming he is returned) will position the Wolves in a very positive situation for the next few years.

There is no team in the way of the wolves taking the 2 seed. The next few years, who knows

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
I don't disagree... I still say to this day the Knights traded for JT just to hear from the London Knights first overall London Knights. It is a HUGE recruitment tool. But it's a simple equation to me when you have a player like Byfield. If you are not going to win with him or at least try to. Your wasting your window. I could see a team give 10+ assets for him including first round draft pick from last draft, 3/4 2nd's, and tons of other picks. Sometimes you have to take your connection out of the equation and make it simple math when you have a star like QB. Oshawa made that decision years ago. Sudbury has to make it now. Toiling in the middle does NOTHING.

Keep in mind before you bash me. I'm hoping Sudbury goes for it.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I would think Paps moves the future for a run at it this year while we have Byfield or he will move him at the deadline. As a poster pointed out, you cannot afford to sit in the middle. Paps is probably waiting to see how the World Juniors pans out. Biggest decision Paps has had to make since becoming GM.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
One stop shopping won’t be enough. He can’t expect to fill all the holes in such a short window. But who knows maybe he has things in place. I hope or he may have wasted the opportunity to make a run or deal QB for a boatload similar to Kornecy.

I think he won’t deal QB as he didn’t with Ukko last year. But looking back maybe he should not have made the deals last year for DeMeo and Ruzicka. Those picks and Wawrow would have made this season easier to possibly make the bigger splash. But we will all find out in the next three weeks.

WJ

Last edited:

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
I don't disagree... I still say to this day the Knights traded for JT just to hear from the London Knights first overall London Knights. It is a HUGE recruitment tool. But it's a simple equation to me when you have a player like Byfield. If you are not going to win with him or at least try to. Your wasting your window. I could see a team give 10+ assets for him including first round draft pick from last draft, 3/4 2nd's, and tons of other picks. Sometimes you have to take your connection out of the equation and make it simple math when you have a star like QB. Oshawa made that decision years ago. Sudbury has to make it now. Toiling in the middle does NOTHING.

Keep in mind before you bash me. I'm hoping Sudbury goes for it.

I’m not going to bash you! It makes sense and I don’t disagree. I just don’t think the Wolves are interested in moving him at all. They will likely win the division. Hard to make a move like this right now. It could completely deflate the fan base.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
One stop shopping won’t be enough. He can’t expect to fill all the holes in such a short window to make moves. But who knows maybe he has things in place. I hope or he may have wasted the opportunity to make a run or deal QB for a boatload similar to Kornecy.

WJ

Konecny was already drafted at the time of the trade. It’s not at all the same situation. I really do think the organization wants him drafted out of Sudbury. They would be more willing to trade him next year as the 67s did with Konecny.

Reactions: Patverbeek

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Konecny was already drafted at the time of the trade. It’s not at all the same situation.

In what way. Byfield will be drafted. And drafted one or two overall. I don’t see what’s not the same. Byfield plays two seasons of OHL hockey and Kornecy played 3. So what!

WJ

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
In what way. Byfield will be drafted. And drafted one or two overall. I don’t see what’s not the same. Byfield plays two seasons of OHL hockey and Kornecy played 3. So what!

WJ

it’s about what program he gets drafted out of the OHL. If you trade him to London say. When he gets drafted it’s from the London Knights. It’s all optics! It shouldn’t be relevant and for that reason your correct who cares, get a boatload while you can. But unfortunately I believe politics and postering is in play here! It doesn’t impact the return at all. It’s a willingness to move him before he gets drafted which I believe the program has absolutely no interest in doing. He will get drafted as a wolf.

Reactions: Patverbeek

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
it’s about what program he gets drafted out of the OHL. If you trade him to London say. When he gets drafted it’s from the London Knights. It’s all optics! It shouldn’t be relevant and for that reason your correct who cares, get a boatload while you can. But unfortunately I believe politics and postering is in play here! It doesn’t impact the return at all. It’s a willingness to move him before he gets drafted which I believe the program has absolutely no interest in doing. He will get drafted as a wolf.
I agree that Papineau will never entertain trading Byfield. But since it was brought up it was just a discussion that he doesn’t waste the chance to capitalize one way or another. It’s going to be a very interesting deadline. Too many teams are in the mix east and west that’s the problem. Plan B and C needs to be in place. I hope the Wolves are not made to look like fools at the deadline as it was stated last year ( Murray from Barrie). I hope the work is being done weeks before this deadline.
WJ

staubitz

Apr 30, 2015
Not sure if someone else has mentioned this, but would the potential of moving into a new building at some point in the near future and possibly bidding to host a Mem Cup have any bearing on the Wolves unloading Byfield for an ‘03 and a whack of future picks?

As others have stated, I fear they have too few resources and too many holes to seriously compete this season.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Not sure if someone else has mentioned this, but would the potential of moving into a new building at some point in the near future and possibly bidding to host a Mem Cup have any bearing on the Wolves unloading Byfield for an ‘03 and a whack of future picks?

As others have stated, I fear they have too few resources and too many holes to seriously compete this season.

Most Sudbury fans, like fans of most CHL teams, don't view the mem cup as the real prize. It's not a real national championship anymore, its a complete sham that maybe 33% of CHL teams care about these days. (e.g. Windsor winning as a 5 seed who lost in the first round? What a joke)

Give me the OHL title, couldn't give a **** about how we fare in the mem cup after. If we won the OHL to qualify then went 0-3 no one would care, we'd be OHL champs!

To answer your question, Sudbury even with a new building (that won't even happen because we have a bunch of communists running the city) isn't a big enough media market for the sportsnet elite to allow the tournament to be held here.

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
So Thompson is a forward now? Our, (arguably), top defenseman is playing forward! No wonder our defense is playing so poorly as we can see from those first two goals. We may as well play Samuelson up there so he can screen the goalie! I like what Stillman is doing with this team for the most part but some of his decisions are a bit odd.

staubitz

Apr 30, 2015
Most Sudbury fans, like fans of most CHL teams, don't view the mem cup as the real prize. It's not a real national championship anymore, its a complete sham that maybe 33% of CHL teams care about these days. (e.g. Windsor winning as a 5 seed who lost in the first round? What a joke)

Give me the OHL title, couldn't give a **** about how we fare in the mem cup after. If we won the OHL to qualify then went 0-3 no one would care, we'd be OHL champs!

To answer your question, Sudbury even with a new building (that won't even happen because we have a bunch of communists running the city) isn't a big enough media market for the sportsnet elite to allow the tournament to be held here.

I hear you and definitely agree with you, but I’m not referring to CHL fans’ perception of winning the Mem Cup vs their respective league’s championship. I do feel the same way when it comes to the Hounds.

I just think it would be a huge get for Zulich to host the tournament especially after the new arena/KED is in place. Just a thought trying to think of another angle. But as you say who knows if/when it will happen.

thebignick

Nov 5, 2019
And between us, but so you know who iloveallsports is? Loll because I know exactly who it is

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I’m so happy I’m here. We’re the greyhounds *****es, every year we lose to them. Pathetic

To be fair, the Greyhounds have the most wins in the league over the past 7 or 8 years so a lot of teams lost to them (London lost 12 in a row). Sudbury was always the team's toughest opponent over that stretch in my opinion.

The team got in late without Byfield against a red hot Greyhounds squad that has it's full roster. Tough assignment for the Wolves. I wouldn't be too hard on them.

staubitz

Apr 30, 2015
Murray during 2nd intermission interview... mentions the team needs to make some additions at the trade deadline and he believes the team can go on a deep playoff run

I remember Byfield saying the same thing during the televised game vs Oshawa - something to the effect that once they make some key additions they would be a force. I wonder if they've been told this will happen or if this is their way of "encouraging" ownership/management to go all in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad