Sudbury Wolves 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
We all agree Byfield is 99% in the NHL next season right?
So what is taking the Wolves so long to push allin?
Will they struggle with the no trade clauses like Peterborough reportedly could struggle with?
You'd think people would want to play infront of scouts. You'd think most NHL teams will be scouting QB. So it should be a good landing spot.
Or is the market just too muddled right now with too many maybe teams?

the asking price can drop as we get closer to the deadline and the sellers become more desperate.

Howling In 16

Apr 11, 2012
Whatever we can get i guess. Something is better than nothing. What do you think we should do? Sell??? Stand pat?

WJ
I'm on the fence I don't think we can buy enough to realistically beat Peterborough (remember they will be buying come trade deadline and become even stronger and deeper). We have to win our division to place second in the conference, if we don't win our division we are in BIG trouble. So I guess it comes down to if you want stability in your program or go the feast or famin route. Hard selling program to kids/drafts if your a perenial cellar dweller. I'm 70% sure byfield comes back next year....even if he does do we move him? he sells the program as a graduated wolves alumni in the NHL (worth big credebility when trying to intice other elite draft picks let alone everyone hearing Sudbury Wolves associated with the kid on NHL broadcasts).

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
I'm on the fence I don't think we can buy enough to realistically beat Peterborough (remember they will be buying come trade deadline and become even stronger and deeper). We have to win our division to place second in the conference, if we don't win our division we are in BIG trouble. So I guess it comes down to if you want stability in your program or go the feast or famin route. Hard selling program to kids/drafts if your a perenial cellar dweller. I'm 70% sure byfield comes back next year....even if he does do we move him? he sells the program as a graduated wolves alumni in the NHL (worth big credebility when trying to intice other elite draft picks let alone everyone hearing Sudbury Wolves associated with the kid on NHL broadcasts).
Well said

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
2019 Draft top 3 picks were Hughes, Kakko, Dach. All 3 stuck.
2018 Draft top 3 picks were Dahlin, Svechnikov, Kotkaniemi. All 3 stuck as well as the #4 pick Tkachuk.
2017 Draft top 3 picks were Hischier, Patrick, Heiskanen. Top 2 stuck.
2016 Draft top 3 picks were Matthews, Laine, Dubois. Top 2 stuck, plus 4 stuck for 28 games (Puljujarvi), plus 6 stuck (Tkachuk).

I could go on, but suffice to say if he goes top 2 there is quite a lot of precedent that he will stick.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
2018 Draft top 3 picks were Dahlin, Svechnikov, Kotkaniemi. All 3 stuck as well as the #4 pick Tkachuk.
2016 Draft top 3 picks were Matthews, Laine, Dubois. Top 2 stuck, plus 4 stuck for 28 games (Puljujarvi), plus 6 stuck (Tkachuk).

I could go on, but suffice to say if he goes top 2 there is quite a lot of precedent that he will stick.

Some people on here don't want to accept the facts. I'll admit I was one of them last season, who said he would for sure be back for a 3rd season. Byfield is only going to continue to get better and stronger. The guy trains like an animal. Just listen to Stillman talk about Byfield. He knows it, this is Byfield's last season in the O. I guess it's okay for Wolves fans to dream big that he will return. But the Sudbury Wolves organization cannot afford to dream and gamble on a Byfield return next season.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013

Interesting analysis, thanks for that. I'm curious if being in the CHL makes a difference. At first glance a lot of those players came out of the US or international programs? It's a gamble for sure. Peterborough will be tough to beat coming out of the East. Byfield is great for the Wolves franchise, to be able to make noise in the playoffs would also be great for the franchise. Not sure what the pick situation is like for the Eastern contenders but it will be an interesting trade deadline all around.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Interesting analysis, thanks for that. I'm curious if being in the CHL makes a difference.
If anything, it might make it slightly more likely that they stick because AHL isn't an option.

Look at Puljujarvi. He played 28 games in the NHL up to Jan 5, then they sent him to the AHL for the rest of the season. If he had been drafted out of the CHL would they have sent him back to the CHL after those 28 games? Maybe, but maybe not.

Reactions: hockeynorth

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
If anything, it might make it slightly more likely that they stick because AHL isn't an option.

Look at Puljujarvi. He played 28 games in the NHL up to Jan 5, then they sent him to the AHL for the rest of the season. If he had been drafted out of the CHL would they have sent him back to the CHL after those 28 games? Maybe, but maybe not.

It's an interesting note about the data presented though. It would come down to whether the AHL or CHL is seen as a more valued development path to NHL teams. A tough spot for Sudbury. The draft cupboard may decide this one.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
It would come down to whether the AHL or CHL is seen as a more valued development path to NHL teams.
Of the signed 20 year old players out of the CHL that haven't stuck in the NHL, how many play an OA year? Maybe 2%? The rest all play AHL. I think NHL teams have already answered your question.

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
Some people on here don't want to accept the facts. I'll admit I was one of them last season, who said he would for sure be back for a 3rd season. Byfield is only going to continue to get better and stronger. The guy trains like an animal. Just listen to Stillman talk about Byfield. He knows it, this is Byfield's last season in the O. I guess it's okay for Wolves fans to dream big that he will return. But the Sudbury Wolves organization cannot afford to dream and gamble on a Byfield return next season.

Speaking of facts, the fact of the matter is that nobody knows at this point! Until we know, there will always be speculation and there are so many variables that will feed into this that it will go on until year's end. Let's just hope the best for Q and the team.

mouse29

May 28, 2019
Colts fan coming in peace. This discussion on trading Byfield is very interesting.

I see both sides of the argument, however if you look at what trading Travis Konecny did for Ottawa a few years back it might make sense for the wolves to consider it. Konecny , 18, was a first-round pick of the Philadelphia Flyers, 24th overall, in the NHL draft. No where near what Byfield is projected to be chosen.

The draft picks acquired by the 67's were as follows:

In exchange, the 67's receive Chmelevski, a 16-year old rookie born in Northville, Mich., who was chosen in the first round of the most recent OHL draft, 10th overall.
  • Second round in 2016, 2017, 2019.
  • Third round in 2017, 2019, 2020.
  • Fifth round in 2017, 2019.
  • Conditional second-round picks in 2021, 2022.
I believe Byfield is worth more than that and would possible set up Sudbury for many years to come.

Reactions: bigtimefan

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
The team that drafts Byfield will also determine what they expect his playing time to be after the 8 games he will surely play. Keeping him in a limited role eats up 1 yr free agency. Time will tell. This year getting past the Petes and the 67s will be a hurdle that may not be that realistic.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Colts fan coming in peace. This discussion on trading Byfield is very interesting.

I see both sides of the argument, however if you look at what trading Travis Konecny did for Ottawa a few years back it might make sense for the wolves to consider it. Konecny , 18, was a first-round pick of the Philadelphia Flyers, 24th overall, in the NHL draft. No where near what Byfield is projected to be chosen.

In exchange, the 67's receive Chmelevski, a 16-year old rookie born in Northville, Mich., who was chosen in the first round of the most recent OHL draft, 10th overall.
I believe Byfield is worth more than that and would possible set up Sudbury for many years to come.
INTERESTING

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
Was one of the reasons I was asking...
If Sudbury isn't going to go all-in, why not get a King's ransom for him.
The return could easily top Konecny/JT's return. I
The trade would turn the entire Western Conference upside down if he was to be traded to the West.

Reactions: howlman

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Speaking of facts, the fact of the matter is that nobody knows at this point! Until we know, there will always be speculation and there are so many variables that will feed into this that it will go on until year's end. Let's just hope the best for Q and the team.

That's right, nobody truly knows.

I'm reading some comments like "wait and see" and "until we know" .. those types of approaches to wait until we know next season with Byfield could be an epic fail for the Wolves.

Reactions: dirty12

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Was one of the reasons I was asking...
If Sudbury isn't going to go all-in, why not get a King's ransom for him.
The return could easily top Konecny/JT's return. I
The trade would turn the entire Western Conference upside down if he was to be traded to the West.

Paps is on the clock. This will be his first real pressure cooker of a trade deadline as GM of the Wolves.

As Iloveallsports mentioned before, this Wolves forum will crucify him fairly or unfairly, depending on what he does.

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
That's right, nobody truly knows.

I'm reading some comments like "wait and see" and "until we know" .. those types of approaches to wait until we know next season with Byfield could be an epic fail for the Wolves.

True but this must be a difficult set of choices for Paps as well. I'm sure he'd love to pull the trigger on some moves but doesn't want to sell the farm and you can only imagine the fall out from fans if it was decided to trade Q. He'd have to face an angry mob! Tough choices to be made.

Reactions: howlman

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Well, in other wolves news. We got an important hockey game tonight...

We do! I feel like we're missing someone important from the line-up for tonight.. :popcorn:

Everyone needs to step up their game during this stretch, and we need big offensive contributions from the likes of Levin, Murray, Bulitka, Robinson. Carson is playing great right now as well, he will need to chip in offensively.

WolvesAndWings

Wherever I go, the strawman follows
Mar 18, 2017

Again though, this post seriously undervalues the impact of Byfield being announced #1 or #2 at the draft, and what that will mean for players reporting to the Wolves. A big part of our recruitment issues is the recent lack of NHL draft success. No 1st rounders since 2006 (Nick Foligno) which is a downright embarrassment this franchise should be ashamed of.

We desperately need to fix that. The Sault is more isolated and remote than Sudbury and has nowhere near as many recruitment issues as we have. They also have an excellent recent NHL draft track record. Coincidence? I think not. (Yeah I know playing in the west helps too)

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
We all agree Byfield is 99% in the NHL next season right?
So what is taking the Wolves so long to push allin?
Will they struggle with the no trade clauses like Peterborough reportedly could struggle with?
You'd think people would want to play infront of scouts. You'd think most NHL teams will be scouting QB. So it should be a good landing spot.
Or is the market just too muddled right now with too many maybe teams?

If you're going all-in, you're trading for 2000 born players, not 2002 which are draft eligible. So playing in front of scouts wouldn't matter to guys who are already drafted

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018

We all do know. He's going 2nd overall. 2nd overall players play right away. QB will not be back unless he has a very serious injury or something. I wouldnt bank the next 4-7 years of my franchise on that....

Reactions: HockeyPops
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->