Sudbury Wolves 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Suggestions sure, trade for D; and, stress sound defensive play. D caught up ice creating odd man rushes against, guys in front alone and unchallenged for rebounds. It’s bad

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Suggestions sure, trade for D; and, stress sound defensive play

I'm sure that's in the works. I'm talking about this game? plus need upgrade in net, helps any defensive play.

keep chiming in though.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Suggestions sure, trade for D; and, stress sound defensive play. D caught up ice creating odd man rushes against, guys in front alone and unchallenged for rebounds. It’s bad
I think with all of the shuffling to forward they don't know what defense is. Also..Purboo was awful in 1st period. It sets the tone. He played better in second and third but you are digging out of a hole right from the start.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I'm sure that's in the works. I'm talking about this game? plus need upgrade in net, helps any defensive play.

keep chiming in though.

this game? Stress sound defensive play. Remind Phillips, Stratis, Loponen they are defensemen. Play Thompson D start to finish. Not play Ribeau unless leading large.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
this game? Stress sound defensive play. Remind Phillips, Stratis, Loponen they are defensemen. Play Thompson D start to finish. Not play Ribeau unless leading large.

So you think coaches don't stress defensive play?, I'm pretty sure they do. We are missing Byfield, Gilhula, Manikas, Hutchinson, have no choice to play D, forward. They even called up Maltais.

I agree Thompson stay on D, he was eventually moved back I believe in 2nd period. I think if we can get some help in net, will do wonders. Look what Brkin has done for the Soo, I also believe Soo is way better than there present record and will move up the standings.

Reactions: Fischhaber

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
So you think coaches don't stress defensive play?, I'm pretty sure they do. We are missing Byfield, Gilhula, Manikas, Hutchinson, have no choice to play D, forward. They even called up Maltais.

I agree Thompson stay on D, he was eventually moved back I believe in 2nd period. I think if we can get some help in net, will do wonders. Look what Brkin has done for the Soo, I also believe Soo is way better than there present record and will move up the standings.
Again... why are we calling up Maltais (not a problem with it I like we're going a kid a shot just making my point) and playing D forward when we have young signed forwards sitting

Reactions: justawolfan

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Again... why are we calling up Maltais (not a problem with it I like we're going a kid a shot just making my point) and playing D forward when we have young signed forwards sitting

who is sitting this game?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
who is sitting this game?
Here are the lines as posted on Sootoday.com Live Blog

Out of the Wolves lineup tonight are Nolan Hutcheson, Gilhula, Quinton Byfield, and Kosta Manikis

Sudbury Lines: Blake Murray-David Levin-Owen Robinson, Shane Bulitka-MacAuley Carson-Chase Stillman, Ethan Larmand-Landon McCallum-Jack Thompson, Nathan Ribau-Brady Maltais-Giordano Biondi; Liam Ross-Kalle Loponen, Isaac Phillips-Emmett Serensits, Adam Samuelsson-Peter Stratis; Christian Purboo; Mitchell Weeks (Backup)

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Here are the lines as posted on Sootoday.com Live Blog

Out of the Wolves lineup tonight are Nolan Hutcheson, Gilhula, Quinton Byfield, and Kosta Manikis

Sudbury Lines: Blake Murray-David Levin-Owen Robinson, Shane Bulitka-MacAuley Carson-Chase Stillman, Ethan Larmand-Landon McCallum-Jack Thompson, Nathan Ribau-Brady Maltais-Giordano Biondi; Liam Ross-Kalle Loponen, Isaac Phillips-Emmett Serensits, Adam Samuelsson-Peter Stratis; Christian Purboo; Mitchell Weeks (Backup)

thanks, my point to hockey north there is no one sitting, all the rookies are playing, plus a call up in Maltais.

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
The issue with D has been going on long before injuries. As a GM if you sit on your hands too long you are stuck. If I were to guess the coaching staff would have liked a little help with some trades..you are giving up wins and that always comes back to bite you.

Reactions: hockeynorth

cub

Apr 11, 2012
The issue with D has been going on long before injuries. As a GM if you sit on your hands too long you are stuck. If I were to guess the coaching staff would have liked a little help with some trades..you are giving up wins and that always comes back to bite you.

you know for sure GM hasn't been looking? They are first place in the division? I'm sure trades will happen they always do.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

I agree. They are 8-3 with Brkin, which is very close to the true talent level of the team. In 40 years of watching hockey, I've never seen a goalie play worse than Propp did in his time in the Soo.

Purboo obviously isn't struggling to nearly the same extent, but a goalie addition could be worth looking in to.

These two Northern rivals have the highest goals scored totals in the entire league at 134 for Sudbury and 132 for the Soo. I'll be hoping for the teams to sort out their troubles keeping the puck out of the net and meet in the finals, as unlikely as that may seem.

Reactions: Patverbeek

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Siau no longer with team.

DeGrazia is at World Junior A Challenge.
Didn’t know about Siau but did know about DeGrazia. Just more saying it’s crazy a guy like Thompson is up front, I understand our predicament I just hate playing 10F when there are ways around it, we’ve been doing it for a while. I’m not management though so I won’t pretend to know why

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Goaltending lousy again.
Such an uninformed post. Did you even watch the game or was this just a kneejerk post when you saw the score? My guess is the latter. Purboo battled hard all game and made numerous great saves throughout. He was the best Wolf on the ice from my seat.

Go watch the highlights. The Wolves defense (all five players) need to do a much better job of clearing rebounds, tying up forwards in front of the net, picking up the players trailing the play, and not giving up odd man rushes.

First Goal - odd man rush snipe
Second Goal - power play goal after #25 Loponen goes to the box for tripping, poor rebound control by Purboo
Third Goal - OHL Play of the night, nice toe drag around defender #27 Serensits
Fourth Goal - Terrible defensive breakdown on dump in, #45 Larmand doesn't pick up third man into the zone
Fifth Goal - 2 on 1, goes in off the defensemans stick #5 Samuelsson
Sixth Goal - snipe top corner no chance after #45 Larmand doesn't pick up third man into the zone again

It's true the Soo has probably laid too much blame at the feet of our goaltenders this season; but last night was clearly not Purboos fault. SOO outshot SBY 40-30, outchanced them by a significant margin.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I watched the game, score could have been worse if not for Purboo. Wolves just have to eliminate shots, Purboo just has to stop shots and make the saves he should be making. Fans should be treated to a battle in the second round and anything after that is bonus considering what teams they would be up against. Tweak the team best you can and and we can’t forget there is always upsets.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Habs0101

Mar 17, 2017
Players like Byfield don't come along very often. You have to make a run when you get that rare opportunity. Selling would be an extremely foolish move for the Wolves.
We missed our chance when we failed to trade UPL last year to build for this year. 100% blame falls on the GM.
GM failed again this fall when his import goalie was a no-show.
We have the top player in the CHL on our team and the GM failed to build a team around him. Anyone who thinks he’s coming back has blinders on
As I mentioned before we had top goalie and top forward in consecutive years and we will have nothing to show for it
Any bets also that Coach Stillman follows player Stillman out of town when his OHL career is done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->