Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Hello Wolves fans; I'm not sure if things were "good" when Alan Lyszczarczyk was traded away to Owen Sound but he has spoken kindly of his time spent in Sudbury when previously asked. On all accounts in Owen Sound, Alan has been a great teammate and great in our community. It's too bad there isn't an open OA spot on your roster in Sudbury because he just might fit back in nicely here. (we have a log jam with our OA's - still carrying 4)

its worth looking at.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Not sure the circumstances around the original trade. His rookie year he was solid but struggled the following, to my recollection anyway.

yes, he does have offensive scoring upside. I think we need inject some scoring in this lineup, with minimal return.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
yes, he does have offensive scoring upside. I think we need inject some scoring in this lineup, with minimal return.

Absolutely. Been my number 1 need since the start of season. This management/coaching staff is under alot of pressure to make the post season. Hope they succeed.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I really like Lazer; but, he’s LW; and creates situation of having to move the twins. Do you move Carson? A picks trade for both ‘should’ leave a small surplus to use towards a D move later

Last edited:

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
At this point, I don't think it is in the best interest to look at standings. Looking at your team that way right now can lead to bad decisions. Everybody on here knows where the holes are on the Wolves, so addressing the issues first may be the right thing to do.

I don't know what the fascination with the Pilons is. It will be interesting when the Petes are in town, Fraser and Parker Jones will be there, I'm betting the Pilon brothers will be there in Jersey only.

Reactions: hockeynorth

fishfan51

Sep 7, 2008
Niagara Falls
The Pilons have to go, or at least one of them does. Talents like Byfield, Murray and Tabak are a complete waste playing with North/ South dump and chase guys. They are taking up 2 O/A spots and talent is what the Wolves need. These two could be traded for a good defenceman and a better forward than they are.

I still believe the wolves will have a tough time getting to the playoffs, and if they do they will have a tuff time getting through the first round.

Nobody cares who is out of the gate first, its who crosses the line first that counts.

There isn't a team in the league that would waste two OA spots on the Pilons and on top of that give you a good defencemen. Any contending team is going to use their OA spots on top end talent. If a team isn't contending, they likely won't give up any real assets for two average to below average 20 year olds.

WE ARE WOLVES

Sep 10, 2018
I agree about Levin but I’ve heard they’ve never been offered what they consider a fair return, so that tells you something. Really like to see that Pilon hit again. It looked like a blindside?
Line combinations and some decisions are hard to follow. Ukko back down to earth in a big way and yes I don’t expect to finish ahead of either Niagara or Barrie as they are further along in their program at this point.
Wolves generated a lot of chances but as said they couldn’t finish to save their lives. I think it’s sqeezing the stick a little too hard.
Let’s forget rankings and get back to playing good sound hockey before we waste our good start.

My understanding is that the league looked at the hit and deemed that no suspension was warranted. Can't remember the name of the Niagara player that got hit but I do know he was a rookie with not a lot of size to him. I saw the hit a couple times and while it was violent it caught him on the shoulder, and while he did not see the hit coming it was not from behind.
Niagara player upon impact was spun around and injuries occurred hitting the ice.
Welcome to the O Rookie !!!

Reactions: Lycanthrope

MGOBlue

Aug 27, 2018
There isn't a team in the league that would waste two OA spots on the Pilons and on top of that give you a good defencemen. Any contending team is going to use their OA spots on top end talent. If a team isn't contending, they likely won't give up any real assets for two average to below average 20 year olds.

Exactly this. They aren't good enough for this league, period. All they do is dump/chase & run around taking selfish penalties at the worst times. They have been doing it since they entered the league and still haven't learned. I will never understand what this organization sees in them and it blows my mind that after all the crap they pull they still keep getting chances. Maybe some people enjoy the sideshow, but not me.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Exactly this. They aren't good enough for this league, period. All they do is dump/chase & run around taking selfish penalties at the worst times. They have been doing it since they entered the league and still haven't learned. I will never understand what this organization sees in them and it blows my mind that after all the crap they pull they still keep getting chances. Maybe some people enjoy the sideshow, but not me.

The wolves could as well just release them. I'd consider it. I was never a fan and and I believe for some, the novelty has worn off.

WE ARE WOLVES

Sep 10, 2018
I think the above posts re: the Pilon's are a little off base. I agree that they are not 1st or 2nd liners but together on a 3rd or 4th line they are exactly what I think every team in the O would love to have on their team and by the same accounts hate to play against. They bring high energy and a relentless Fore check every shift they're on the ice. The bonus you get out of them is the 30+ points that each score in a season. They were each Plus players on a terrible team last year. Yes they take dumb penalties but the positives heavily out weigh the negatives.

I think the organization maybe over values them a slight bit but to say they are worth releasing or that they are simply a novelty is ridiculous.

Last edited:

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I think the above posts re: the Pilon's are a little off base. I agree that they are not 1st or 2nd liners but together on a 3rd or 4th line they are exactly what I think every team in the O would love to have on their team and by the same accounts hate to play against. They bring high energy and a relentless Fore check every shift they're on the ice. The bonus you get out of them is the 30+ points that each score in a season. They were each Plus players on a terrible team last year. Yes they take dumb penalties but the positives heavily out weigh the negatives.

I think the organization maybe over values them a slight bit but to say they are worth releasing or that they are simply a novelty is ridiculous.
Could not agree more.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Definitely useful players that make the wolves a better team now and really don’t have resources to upgrade for this season.
At the deadline, when Hamilton or another team moves OAs like Mattinen & Saigeon, then there may be takers for a small return. But move them without using picks/players to replace/improve and the playoffs are unlikely, imo

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005

They were the only + players on the team last year, they finished 2nd and 4th in goals for the wolves. When they're on the ice, they often pin the opposition in their own end. Blake Murray also looked his best by far when flanked by two players who can actually win puck battles.

At the end of the day, they're .5-.75ppg players who often play on the line and occasionally cross the line, however they never get the benefit of the doubt from any officials(which is fair at this point). Looking like one won't get a suspension for the hit he threw on Friday, as I predicted.

When you look through the OHL this year, I'd say it's a historically bad year for OAs. Many teams(Erie, Flint, Mississauga, Niagara, Ottawa, Saginaw) are only carrying 2 OAs currently because of the lack of quality OAs. If you take through a list of the 1998 births in the OHL you'll actually find a reasonable amount worth then the Pilon's, and even a couple d-men worse then Candella.

Even with Darian leading the OHL in penalty minutes, the amount he's put the wolves shorthanded is 11 minutes in 10 games. One more minute then Bulitka someone I'm sure no one would accuse of being undisciplined.

With that I guess I'm saying, yes, sometimes the Pilon's go over the edge, however far and away they're positive players for the wolves, they create scoring chances, they maintain puck possession, force turnovers. And with the exception of this Niagara game have actually shown pretty good discipline so far this year.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Honestly not much, and I'm ok with that. It will free up two spots to upgrade.
Yes agree. They can be effective but can also hurt the team. While many are focused on defence fact is looking at the stats, you can see the Wolves are clearly struggling to score goals so help in that regard is as important as shoring up the defence is. I’ve said before OA’s need to be consistent and major contributors at their positions. Not sure they fit that role.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
My understanding is that the league looked at the hit and deemed that no suspension was warranted. Can't remember the name of the Niagara player that got hit but I do know he was a rookie with not a lot of size to him. I saw the hit a couple times and while it was violent it caught him on the shoulder, and while he did not see the hit coming it was not from behind.
Niagara player upon impact was spun around and injuries occurred hitting the ice.
Welcome to the O Rookie !!!
Ya he’s their first round pick. Carson said in an interview he’s not sure you can hit anymore and he might be right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad