Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I think the above posts re: the Pilon's are a little off base. I agree that they are not 1st or 2nd liners but together on a 3rd or 4th line they are exactly what I think every team in the O would love to have on their team and by the same accounts hate to play against. They bring high energy and a relentless Fore check every shift they're on the ice. The bonus you get out of them is the 30+ points that each score in a season. They were each Plus players on a terrible team last year. Yes they take dumb penalties but the positives heavily out weigh the negatives.

I think the organization maybe over values them a slight bit but to say they are worth releasing or that they are simply a novelty is ridiculous.
Perhaps but I’d like to see all the teams that would love to have them and what they would give for them. To me the Wolves are not an ideal fit for them this season. We would do much better with an offence and defensive OA that could really help propel a playoff push. Once again the league is much softer now.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Definitely useful players that make the wolves a better team now and really don’t have resources to upgrade for this season.
At the deadline, when Hamilton or another team moves OAs like Mattinen & Saigeon, then there may be takers for a small return. But move them without using picks/players to replace/improve and the playoffs are unlikely, imo
You’re not suggesting the playoffs are contingent on keeping the Pilons are you? That’s a stretch.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
They can't put the cart before the horse. The Wolves will either be buyers or sellers at the trade deadline, that has yet to be determined. Way too early. The supposed rebuild is to pay dividends next year and if we are sellers that can only support the cause. Next years draft is forcast to be the worst in years. Looking ahead if they are in fact following a plan we have to wait a while before pushing the panic button.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You’re not suggesting the playoffs are contingent on keeping the Pilons are you? That’s a stretch.

Without using significant assets to replace/improve, I am certainly suggesting that securing a playoff without the twins might not happen. Their contributions cannot be replaced by any of the bubble players or those playing in other jr leagues.

bigtimefan

Sep 23, 2015
Perhaps but I’d like to see all the teams that would love to have them and what they would give for them. To me the Wolves are not an ideal fit for them this season. We would do much better with an offence and defensive OA that could really help propel a playoff push. Once again the league is much softer now.
The Pilons do fit the team, I would hate to see them go, a lot of heart and energy, unfortunately they might have to go, because the scorers cant score, Niz, Levin, Carson, wish we could trade them, why would a team want them.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
The Pilons do fit the team, I would hate to see them go, a lot of heart and energy, unfortunately they might have to go, because the scorers cant score, Niz, Levin, Carson, wish we could trade them, why would a team want them.
Well I understand your frustration but they have really been snake bitten. When you’re ringing it off posts etc you’re right there and (hopefully) the law of averages comes into play. Of course they can also do a lot to improve their chances of success too, coaches come in here. Ultimately the team is trying and are motivated, hopefully the rest falls into place. Also Ukko is going to have to better than average consistently, which is to be expected from a top ranked goalie. Tough weekend outscored 9-2. Not a great way to bring in the fair weather fans.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Wolves came back down to earth.. will be good for them. Byfield is a bit snake bitten right now but he's gonna have a huge breakout very soon. No better time with this home stand with 4 big points coming up for grabs.

As far as im concerned with how young we are, coming into the season I was hoping we could be at least a 500 team. Look when Staal, Lamb, McQuaid, D'Aversa etc. all came in first year 16/17 years of age what the Wolves record was that season. We need some good drafts and I think the Byfield draft will be the beginning of building something. Lets hope Murray draft turns out some players as well.

I think we can be a 500 team but it won't be easy. Need to capitalize next draft and keep building talent pool. A creative trade or two by Paps wouldn't hurt either for this year, and for next year as well. Still so early

Reactions: Lycanthrope

WE ARE WOLVES

Sep 10, 2018
Who ya's think sits on Friday ? Gilhulla or Tabak. Gilly played well on Sunday but I can't imagine them sitting a young Tabak 2 games in a row to crush what confidence he I would assume gained over the 1st couple weeks of the season.
My bet is Tabak moved to the wing, Gilly Centeres the 4th line and Obonswain sits ...

thoughts ???

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Who ya's think sits on Friday ? Gilhulla or Tabak. Gilly played well on Sunday but I can't imagine them sitting a young Tabak 2 games in a row to crush what confidence he I would assume gained over the 1st couple weeks of the season.
My bet is Tabak moved to the wing, Gilly Centeres the 4th line and Obonswain sits ...

thoughts ???
O'bonsawin was already sitting. Our wingers were Levin, Carson, Pilon, Pilon, Robinson, Hutcheson, Niz, McConville

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011

thoughts ???
Makes sense. Gilhulla monster just came back and didn’t look bad so you can’t sit him. At least I wouldn’t think so.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

thoughts ???

Obonsawin should be emergency call up only, imo. From that list, McConville is the odd man out.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Well Sudbury has two very important games this weekend. Haven't really played well at home. Why they can't play with the same energy as on the road is beyond me but regardless some keys to any chance of victory for this weekend,

1-Ukko needs to be stellar
2-Sudbury needs to shut down two of the top scorers in the league in Saigeon and Kaliyev. But can't forget Strome and Entwisttle. So they need to have a strong defensive game and forwards need to be skating hard to not get caught up ice. Candella, Stratis needs to be more selective when to move into the offensive zone cause Hamilton will make them pay on turnovers. Saturday they must key in on Robertson. He is dangerous anytime in the offensive zone. Kingston can't be underestimated.
3-Puck pursuit. Sudbury needs to elevate their game. They must have the legs moving and putting pressure on the Hamilton defence.
4-Finish! Our scorers need to score plain and simple. Carson, Niz, Levin, Murray, Byfield need to find the net. Hutchison, Bulitka, need to have strong games also.
5-O'Bonswin should be sent down. No requirement for him to be with the big club. He was a dman last year and converted to forward this year. Why Sudbury has held onto him when other players in camp should have taken that spot.
6-60 minutes. The Wolves need to play from puck drop to the last horn. The league is too competitive to take periods off. Must limit mistakes and turnovers. Mental mistakes are costing this team.

Hope they don't stink the joint out this weekend. Will be a real shame if they did when fans were just starting to get excited again and bandwagon jumpers were slowly jumping back on. Some old faces starting to appear:)

BTW- Any word on Malik? The news out of the Wolves den has been minimal. Seems like a blackout is in effect from our news outlets.

WJ

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Well Sudbury has two very important games this weekend. Haven't really played well at home. Why they can't play with the same energy as on the road is beyond me but regardless some keys to any chance of victory for this weekend,

2-Sudbury needs to shut down two of the top scorers in the league in Saigeon and Kaliyev. But can't forget Strome and Entwisttle. So they need to have a strong defensive game and forwards need to be skating hard to not get caught up ice. Candella, Stratis needs to be more selective when to move into the offensive zone cause Hamilton will make them pay on turnovers. Saturday they must key in on Robertson. He is dangerous anytime in the offensive zone. Kingston can't be underestimated.
3-Puck pursuit. Sudbury needs to elevate their game. They must have the legs moving and putting pressure on the Hamilton defence.
4-Finish! Our scorers need to score plain and simple. Carson, Niz, Levin, Murray, Byfield need to find the net. Hutchison, Bulitka, need to have strong games also.
5-O'Bonswin should be sent down. No requirement for him to be with the big club. He was a dman last year and converted to forward this year. Why Sudbury has held onto him when other players in camp should have taken that spot.
6-60 minutes. The Wolves need to play from puck drop to the last horn. The league is too competitive to take periods off. Must limit mistakes and turnovers. Mental mistakes are costing this team.

Hope they don't stink the joint out this weekend. Will be a real shame if they did when fans were just starting to get excited again and bandwagon jumpers were slowly jumping back on. Some old faces starting to appear:)

BTW- Any word on Malik? The news out of the Wolves den has been minimal. Seems like a blackout is in effect from our news outlets.

WJ
Pretty much this. I had heard maybe early November for Malik?

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Wolves need to use Byfield as the quarterback on the PP. give him the puck let him set things up. The twins must play energetic and intimidating at the same time without taking penalties. Ukko needs to be Ukko. Some of the key ingredients for success. Does anyone know who Ukko's goaltender coach is in Sudbury?

Reactions: hockeynorth

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016
Wolves need to use Byfield as the quarterback on the PP. give him the puck let him set things up. The twins must play energetic and intimidating at the same time without taking penalties. Ukko needs to be Ukko. Some of the key ingredients for success. Does anyone know who Ukko's goaltender coach is in Sudbury?
not 100% sure but I was under the inpression its still Alain Valiquette?

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010

WJ

Reactions: Wolfman Jack
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad