Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
None when it was a clean hit.

Defence continues to be a mess, but the young guys are generally not the issue. Thompson was honestly their best defencemen this afternoon. Serensits looked decent as well. Candella and Stratis look like they need to be ejected into the sun.

Although with that said, at this point i'm not a fan of giving up on any particular players(Candella, Stratis, Levin, etc included). They are without a doubt in my mind the worst coached team in the OHL. I honestly feel like we've passed Fixter levels of incompetence even.

before you criticize the coach as worst in the OHL, how about something to back you're argument.

I feel that Stillman still tinkering to get lines right, we had some new faces returned to lineup, so have to see what they are made of. I don't like Levin at centre, not sure why that was made when Murray was on his line.

I still believe in Stillman, way to early to make a comment relating him to Fixter.

MGOBlue

Aug 27, 2018

Defence continues to be a mess, but the young guys are generally not the issue. Thompson was honestly their best defencemen this afternoon. Serensits looked decent as well. Candella and Stratis look like they need to be ejected into the sun.

Although with that said, at this point i'm not a fan of giving up on any particular players(Candella, Stratis, Levin, etc included). They are without a doubt in my mind the worst coached team in the OHL. I honestly feel like we've passed Fixter levels of incompetence even.

Lol, this post gave me a good laugh. And no, the hit was not clean.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010

Your posts always seem like the sky is falling or the world is ending.

What does Stillman have to work with?

If you were Stillman behind the bench looking whom to put out...what are your choices?

To me besides Byfield, Niz, at times Murray, you have a bunch of third , forth liners (at best) on this team. They wolves are who they are, until Papineau can upgrade talent through trade or mostly likely draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: MGOBlue

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
I agree they need time to adjust the lines before I would rip into coaches. I would say we need a veteran defensemen but that is beating a dead horse. The penalty kill was very good but taking too many penalties tires the team. Murray Levin Niz is a high risk line and I dont think the reward was there.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Your posts always seem like the sky is falling or the world is ending.

What does Stillman have to work with?

If you were Stillman behind the bench looking whom to put out...what are your choices?

To me besides Byfield, Niz, at times Murray, you have a bunch of third , forth liners (at best) on this team. They wolves are who they are, until Papineau can upgrade talent through trade or mostly likely draft.
Could not agree more.

Reactions: Iloveallsports

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Agree with some of this ... Candella is needed on this team. Imo, just pair him with Serensits because he’s a safer player; and, pair Stratis with Ross because he’s a safer player. There is no need to compare Stillman and Fixter; that’s a little harsh. But yeah, an above replacement level coach would make a huge difference.

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Bending?

The honeymoon is over. They say your not as good not bad as ur record indicates. There are a few vet players I'm not really sold on but it's the same for most teams I assume.

I'll just say this; they need to find someone to play with Byfield.
Meant to say benching, I watching the clock and they had one shift in the first 10 minutes of the 2nd, and then yes blending

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Agree with some of this ... Candella is needed on this team. Imo, just pair him with Serensits because he’s a safer player; and, pair Stratis with Ross because he’s a safer player. There is no need to compare Stillman and Fixter; that’s a little harsh. But yeah, an above replacement level coach would make a huge difference.

Same with your buddy BB, replaced has GM for Flint, would be a Hugh difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

staubitz

Apr 30, 2015
Have to say, this edition of the Wolves is entertaining even in games where they are out of it early.

I generally don't have enough insight into the team to comment on the quality of the coaching. But I did notice that at the beginning of the 3rd when the Wolves were still shorthanded due to Darian Pilon's major penalty, the Wolves didn't have a player in the box to serve the penalty. So when the penalty expired the Wolves could not ice a 5th player until the next stoppage. Thankfully, it didn't result in a goal, but seemed like a coaching miscue.

I am loving the way Serensits is playing - physically dominant, defensively reliable, and using his big shot. Looking like future Captain material to me.

Candella is so frustrating. It seems like nearly every shift he jumps up deep in the offensive zone and a forward needs to cover for him. Which is fine if it works, but most of the time nothing materializes.

Nice goal by Murray, but still looking very tentative out there.

Reactions: hockeynorth

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I thought so too; but, I can’t be sure because I really don’t know exactly what Cub was trying to say

BB Lover, I like how you're defending the worst GM ever on the Flint board. :)

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I don’t remember when I defended him last; but, I’m happy you like it. :)

I find it amusing that you like to defend your boy BB but constantly take shots at the Wolves coaching staff.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Have to say, this edition of the Wolves is entertaining even in games where they are out of it early.

I generally don't have enough insight into the team to comment on the quality of the coaching. But I did notice that at the beginning of the 3rd when the Wolves were still shorthanded due to Darian Pilon's major penalty, the Wolves didn't have a player in the box to serve the penalty. So when the penalty expired the Wolves could not ice a 5th player until the next stoppage. Thankfully, it didn't result in a goal, but seemed like a coaching miscue.

I am loving the way Serensits is playing - physically dominant, defensively reliable, and using his big shot. Looking like future Captain material to me.

Candella is so frustrating. It seems like nearly every shift he jumps up deep in the offensive zone and a forward needs to cover for him. Which is fine if it works, but most of the time nothing materializes.

Nice goal by Murray, but still looking very tentative out there.

Maybe, the coach should have had a player he wanted to send a message to serving the major penalty.
I like Serensits defensive play too. Hopefully, the coaches try pairing him with Candella so he can push the play with confidence that there will be back up.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I want to see this lineup now that we are (mostly) healthy:

Levin-Byfield-Carson
Pilon-Murray-Pilon
Robinson-Bulitka-Nizhnikov
Hutcheson-Tabak/Gilhula-McConville/Gilhula

Rotate Tabak/Gilhula/McConville - not a Gilhula fan but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that he looked pretty good today, was impressed considering he just got back, our 4th line is awesome.

Serentis-Candella
Ross-Stratis
Phillips-Thompson

Gives a solid mix on every pair

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Maybe, the coach should have had a player he wanted to send a message to serving the major penalty.
I like Serensits defensive play too. Hopefully, the coaches try pairing him with Candella so he can push the play with confidence that there will be back up.

With your expertise in coaching, you should ask BB for the Head Coaching job with Flint, you're a shoe in for sure.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
With your expertise in coaching, you should ask BB for the Head Coaching job with Flint, you're a shoe in for sure.
To be fair cub, the coach SHOULD have had a player in the box, I noticed it right away and really I was not impressed with Stillman today, and normally I find he's pretty good. Dirty does have a good idea with pairing Serentis with Candella as well. I get standing by someone no matter what is wrong but he is giving some solid points this time. We were out coached today, he didn't even care to line match either, even when the Murray line clearly was having defensive fits containing Tomasinos line, I would have sent out Bulitka. At the end of the day chalk it up to a rough weekend and we can move on, there's still been way more positives this season and no one can say we haven't improved.

Reactions: WolvesFan

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I find it amusing that you like to defend your boy BB but constantly take shots at the Wolves coaching staff.

Oh, you think that stating Flint coach (prior to stepping down) does not have any answers is defending the GM; and stating Sudbury coach is not above replacement level is attacking the GM.
You are not right. I think good coaching at the OHL level is critical

cub

Apr 11, 2012
To be fair cub, the coach SHOULD have had a player in the box, I noticed it right away and really I was not impressed with Stillman today, and normally I find he's pretty good. Dirty does have a good idea with pairing Serentis with Candella as well. I get standing by someone no matter what is wrong but he is giving some solid points this time. We were out coached today, he didn't even care to line match either, even when the Murray line clearly was having defensive fits containing Tomasinos line, I would have sent out Bulitka. At the end of the day chalk it up to a rough weekend and we can move on, there's still been way more positives this season and no one can say we haven't improved.

I'm not sure about the player in box, I was watching game online and didn't notice it, so can't comment on it.

We weren't out coached, Niagara at this time is a better team, give credit to a more talented team. I watched all the goals that were scored against us, all mistakes due to Niagara putting on hard forecheck and scoring on our mistakes.

Our forwards had many chances today, and can't capitalized like Niagara did, because we don't have the talent they have.

Is it the coaches fault that there were 2 short handed goals against Barrie, when we were on a 4 minute PP. The guys on the PP could not make a pass or receive a pass on a 5 on 3 PP so is that the coaches fault?

Sudbury Wolves have some talent no denying but rely on UPL or McGrath to keep the team in the game.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Oh, you think that stating Flint coach (prior to stepping down) does not have any answers is defending the GM; and stating Sudbury coach is not above replacement level is attacking the GM.
You are not right. I think good coaching at the OHL level is critical

Put you're resume in.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I'm not sure about the player in box, I was watching game online and didn't notice it, so can't comment on it.

We weren't out coached, Niagara at this time is a better team, give credit to a more talented team. I watched all the goals that were scored against us, all mistakes due to Niagara putting on hard forecheck and scoring on our mistakes.

Our forwards had many chances today, and can't capitalized like Niagara did, because we don't have the talent they have.

Is it the coaches fault that there were 2 short handed goals against Barrie, when we were on a 4 minute PP. The guys on the PP could not make a pass or receive a pass on a 5 on 3 PP so is that the coaches fault?

Sudbury Wolves have some talent no denying but rely on UPL or McGrath to keep the team in the game.
I didn't say a word about the Barrie game, I've stated previously I didn't watch it all that closely like I normally would. Our players didn't play great and both teams are better then us but I think it could have been a closer game today. Stillman is a good coach, but like anyone in any role at the OHL level he has some small things to work on, such as the player in the box and probably lines and pairings as well as PP. If he was a perfect coach he wouldn't be here. I care for the small details in a hockey game, I watch and I pick apart the tiny things that could affect the play if done differently, and with Stillman for me it would be lines, and that blunder with the box, well Mike Babcock made it last year so everyone does it but again, small things.

I want a sniper.

Also I've heard we're kicking tires on a D out of Flint, though like anything else, take that with a grain of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad