Sudbury Wolves 2014-15 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKADonovan

Apr 30, 2014
Sudbury
So with the last place in the East Wolves battling it out tonight with the last place in the West Whalers, can the Wolves end their nasty 16 game winless streak? Let's hope so, the players and interim coach could sure use a lift.
18 and counting.....

mobile

Feb 23, 2012
Do I ever hope that this is true...

I am skeptical....however hope it is true . The only way things will get any better moving forward. And it will still take a few years.

Last edited:

JimmyBeam

Oct 20, 2014
Are we just randomly throwing out 3 names?
Nobody is buying this team.
This isn't an investment. when you invest in something you buy low and then sell high.
Burgess isn't letting this thing go cheap.
BTW, where is Domi getting the $$$?
Royalties from his TV commercials?

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
As of now Burgess & co have killed this team and it's attendance. Still a strong fan base, but they have united and will not attend games until new ownership is in place. The arena is ghost town now, message being sent loud and clear. I hope people realize this team will be really bad next year as well, and as I predicted many times, another dead last finish. Wolves have a shot in the 2016 draft at the next exceptional status player. Things should start to turn around slowly by 2016/17 if new ownership, new management, and new coaching come in ASAP. Long wait folks, buckle up.

Last edited:

Greywolf

Jan 1, 2015
Ken Burgess (a great man) purchased the Wolves franchise in 1987-88 I believe for $700,000 +/- and at that time was one of the most expensive prices for an OHL franchise if not the most...the selling price will be approx. $4,000,000.00 to $6,000,000.00 for this team today...approx. 6x to 8x the purchase price...I would say that is a very good return on investment...approx. $100,000.00 to $200,000.00 per year...in addition there's the profit made for almost 30 years or so...approx. $3,000,000.00...so its an absolutely very good return on investment...btw - the London Knights are arguably the highest valued OHL franchise @ $10,000,000.00 +/-...so it is fair to say the Wolves value is what it is...its not low and its not cheap...GW

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.
As of now Burgess & co have killed this team and it's attendance. Still a strong fan base, but they have united and will not attend games until new ownership is in place. The arena is ghost town now, message being sent loud and clear. I hope people realize this team will be really bad next year as well, and as I predicted many times, another dead last finish. Wolves have a shot in the 2016 draft at the next exceptional status player. Things should start to turn around slowly by 2016/17 if new ownership, new management, and new coaching come in ASAP. Long wait folks, buckle up.

You are still averaging well over 3000. I would not say the fans are staying away. If this was happening in Guelph they, would be lucky to 2000 fans.

malarkey

Oct 13, 2013
The Soo
You are still averaging well over 3000. I would not say the fans are staying away. If this was happening in Guelph they, would be lucky to 2000 fans.

Are you looking at the stated attendance or butts in the seats? Because watching the Hounds game played in Sudbury recently, the attendance on the game summary certainly did not match the visuals we were getting on television. There is a difference between paid/give-away admissions and attendance when STH decide not to use their tickets.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004

Those numbers are false. Not even close to 3000. I would say lately probably around 1000, if that. It's ghost town at the barn.

Section19

Sep 17, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Ken Burgess (a great man) purchased the Wolves franchise in 1987-88 I believe for $700,000 +/- and at that time was one of the most expensive prices for an OHL franchise if not the most...the selling price will be approx. $4,000,000.00 to $6,000,000.00 for this team today...approx. 6x to 8x the purchase price...I would say that is a very good return on investment...approx. $100,000.00 to $200,000.00 per year...in addition there's the profit made for almost 30 years or so...approx. $3,000,000.00...so its an absolutely very good return on investment...btw - the London Knights are arguably the highest valued OHL franchise @ $10,000,000.00 +/-...so it is fair to say the Wolves value is what it is...its not low and its not cheap...GW

Just an FYI, in Yahoo! weekly CHL chat last week, I believe that one of the reporters said the rumoured sale price for Sarnia was between $6-7 million.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
The team is not sold and it won't be anytime soon despite the many interested groups with good offers. It will take at least 8.5-9 million at minimum and Burgess just isnt interested. I don't know who started that rumor at the rink last night but it's false.
Attendance has been inflated all year. As previously mentioned, even though the average is good, many of those are giveaways. It's been on a decline for two years now and will take a deeper dive next year with the amount of season ticket holders who wont be renewing.
As far as on the ice, Matsos is very good about sitting players for periods of time for dumb penalties and/or selfish play. The dumb penalties cost the Wolves the game last night and the offenders didnt play much after that.

AKADonovan

Apr 30, 2014
Sudbury
Maybe 1000 at the game last night. There were supposedly 2500 season ticket sales this year so the attendance numbers are grossly inflated.
I had three extra tickets last Friday and couldn't give them away at the door. There was no one there to give them to.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
The team is not sold and it won't be anytime soon despite the many interested groups with good offers. It will take at least 8.5-9 million at minimum and Burgess just isnt interested. I don't know who started that rumor at the rink last night but it's false.
Attendance has been inflated all year. As previously mentioned, even though the average is good, many of those are giveaways. It's been on a decline for two years now and will take a deeper dive next year with the amount of season ticket holders who wont be renewing.
As far as on the ice, Matsos is very good about sitting players for periods of time for dumb penalties and/or selfish play. The dumb penalties cost the Wolves the game last night and the offenders didnt play much after that.

50-50 Gail seemed to have the inside scoop last night, wow, that sure seems like a reliable source.

Greywolf

Jan 1, 2015
Team is not sold...offers have come in...if there was no interest, there would be no offers nor entertained...this is not rumors form last night at the barn...and definitely not from 50/50 gal...negotiations, proper valuation, due diligence have been ongoing for quite some time...no need to hurry...season not over...10 year lease is up...city won't give the "barn" away again..."project" is over...investment period for the fish huts and renos is over...sale is imminent...not low but definitely not high either...geographic location, facility, demographics, economics...ROI...GW

NewStingfan

Jun 3, 2011
Just an FYI, in Yahoo! weekly CHL chat last week, I believe that one of the reporters said the rumoured sale price for Sarnia was between $6-7 million.

As someone close to the situation, the rumoured price mentioned is not even close. It starts with and 8!!

Gr8northscout

Aug 29, 2012
Ontario
sale price

As someone close to the situation, the rumoured price mentioned is not even close. It starts with and 8!!

If Sarnia did sell for that much, Burgess has every reason to ask the same. Sarnia and Sudbury are very similar franchises. Both have blue collar fans, the arenas seat about the same, season ticket sales would be similar....etc.

I don't agree on the value. I think it's way too much if they sold for 8+.

Take a look at this and one might calculate values based on revenue generation from ticket sales only. Advertising and concessions are a whole other animal.

http://www.hockeyattendance.com/league/ohl/2013/?sort=avg_att

Greywolf

Jan 1, 2015
The fool is the buyer...apparently the latest figure is $10,000,000.00 and that still might not do it...I would get up and walk...actually run...kind of like the Roadrunner...beep beep ziptang...from that kind of price...GW

woofer

Apr 1, 2014
Wonder if this stunning victory sees the Burgess "black box" re-lit....woofer...p.s...
ROI=FUBAR......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad