Sudbury Wolves 2014-15 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
I'll start this one up.

I don't expect much out of the Wolves this year as this is a very obvious rebuilding year. On the ice, we'll see how the young players develop and how quickly Jenys and Kashtonov adjust to North American life but I would be surprised if this team makes the playoffs. Off ice, the GM will need to be a smart trader and so far he has proven that he is, hopefully that continues. As well, the scouting department should be very busy as they will have a high draft pick and need to get it right.

Other thoughts?

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Fixter must be patient and not panic and not go into his silver six mode early burning them out by Christmas. Has he learned any systems to teach these kids? Has he any powerplay knowledge? Has he learned an effective penalty kill? other than two players standing still on their own blueline? Will he put together 4 lines and access his talent fairly? or will he cave into the pressure Mark will put on him with respect to CB? This team can only be successful this year if the door is pulled down on the private box and welded shut.

Hockeyfriend

Nov 8, 2011
Take this to the bank. The team Captain will be Brody Silk. He cannot do anything wrong in the eye's of team management and coaches. Reading how he praised him from then game in Barrie and then the comment in the Star tonight after the win that Silk was out of when the team was behind - only to rally without him in the line-up. Silk has been a major force in the few games he has played. this pre-season. Might be a front in light of the Silk/Heuther debate for the final OA spot. Fixter see's the game so much different then us and almost every single hockey person so I don't expect hid decisions to be the same as 99.9% of the people viewing the team.

The kids have to try and remember how they played that got them here in the 1st place, have fun along the way.

AKADonovan

Apr 30, 2014
Sudbury
If it's a foregone conclusion that Silk is staying, I'm going to keep Pancel, Huether, and Silk, and try to trade Corbett. He's not a dominant force on the back line, or in the corners, is injured more than most, and frankly, doesn't do much to make a young defensive group better.
Zeppieri and Harris were the best Wolves on the ice tonight IMO.

FireBenning*

Take this to the bank. The team Captain will be Brody Silk. He cannot do anything wrong in the eye's of team management and coaches. Reading how he praised him from then game in Barrie and then the comment in the Star tonight after the win that Silk was out of when the team was behind - only to rally without him in the line-up. Silk has been a major force in the few games he has played. this pre-season. Might be a front in light of the Silk/Heuther debate for the final OA spot. Fixter see's the game so much different then us and almost every single hockey person so I don't expect hid decisions to be the same as 99.9% of the people viewing the team.

The kids have to try and remember how they played that got them here in the 1st place, have fun along the way.

I don't think you know much about the game. All you do is put down kids when you probably never put on skates in your life

Lanny

May 9, 2012
My thoughts on last nights game.
Goaltender was good, he makes visible shots look easy although he did struggle with rebound control.

Defence is a little weak. Bourque played well but did shy away from the corners and contact. He has size and skates well, he will only get better.Clapham and Hawley are about the same size. Although Hawley plays with a bigger edge. Clapham was beat regularly. Not sure if this guy is OHLready, Hawley is. Cummins has improved but I find his decision making poor, he is slow to react on dump ins and always passes in the feet of his team mates. The rest played OK except Capobianco, he looked good, although he never hit anyone, he is always leading the play and getting the puck out of their zone fast.

Forwards got better as the game went on. I am sorry but Pataki and Paliani cannot skate at the OHL level. Pataki is 15, but Paliani is 18. Harris is and was the Wolves best player. No one played as well as he did for the entire game. He needs a winger who can skate and give and go with him. He will not disappoint this year. Pezzetta is learning that he cannot run people over and cannot take 2 minute shifts. He has a good hockey head and will only get better. I thought Desroucher did very little in the game. Zeppieri plays with heart, but his skating is not strong. He did play well defensively. Silk reluctantly fought,if you can call what they did a fight and I guess will need to do more. Burgess did his circles on each shift and was hit hard along the boards. He has improved from last year and is a Midget AA level now.

It will be interesting to see the opening night roster. The Wolves are young will a high level of compete and average skill. I would think the Wolves would parlay the 19 and 20 year olds into skilled 17 and 18 year olds. I would keep Harris though.

Hockeyfriend

Nov 8, 2011
My thoughts on last nights game.
Goaltender was good, he makes visible shots look easy although he did struggle with rebound control.

Defence is a little weak. Bourque played well but did shy away from the corners and contact. He has size and skates well, he will only get better.Clapham and Hawley are about the same size. Although Hawley plays with a bigger edge. Clapham was beat regularly. Not sure if this guy is OHLready, Hawley is. Cummins has improved but I find his decision making poor, he is slow to react on dump ins and always passes in the feet of his team mates. The rest played OK except Capobianco, he looked good, although he never hit anyone, he is always leading the play and getting the puck out of their zone fast.

Forwards got better as the game went on. I am sorry but Pataki and Paliani cannot skate at the OHL level. Pataki is 15, but Paliani is 18. Harris is and was the Wolves best player. No one played as well as he did for the entire game. He needs a winger who can skate and give and go with him. He will not disappoint this year. Pezzetta is learning that he cannot run people over and cannot take 2 minute shifts. He has a good hockey head and will only get better. I thought Desroucher did very little in the game. Zeppieri plays with heart, but his skating is not strong. He did play well defensively. Silk reluctantly fought,if you can call what they did a fight and I guess will need to do more. Burgess did his circles on each shift and was hit hard along the boards. He has improved from last year and is a Midget AA level now.

It will be interesting to see the opening night roster. The Wolves are young will a high level of compete and average skill. I would think the Wolves would parlay the 19 and 20 year olds into skilled 17 and 18 year olds. I would keep Harris though.

Read that CB was out some time in the 1st period...what happened? Did he fight and get the customary pre-season game misconduct or was he injured?

AKADonovan

Apr 30, 2014
Sudbury
Read that CB was out some time in the 1st period...what happened? Did he fight and get the customary pre-season game misconduct or was he injured?

CB got hammered into the post at the end of the Barrie bench. Head down, admiring the pass he had just received.
Definite helmet to post contact. Played a few more shifts but I would suspect concussion like symptoms.
Maybe precautionary, maybe another hint that he can't play at this level!

malarkey

Oct 13, 2013
The Soo
Out of curiosity, what is Mark going to do when CB eventually and inevitably graduates from junior? Buy a minor league team? Make a HUGE donation to a college/university?

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
CB will attend university after his junior days are over and have his OHL education package pay for it.

Hockeyfriend

Nov 8, 2011
As much as we all know about the surrounding kaos on whether he should be on team or not, you hate to see any kid get hurt and especially if is a head injury of any sort. Hope he gets better soon.

Hockeyfriend

Nov 8, 2011
One more pre-season game to go. Any thoughts on who will wear the C and A's this season...assume they will have that announced for the home opener on the 26th. Not sure if they will base it - at least in part - on the pre-season play or historic (like last year's guys)? My thoughts are two OA's and 2 other players...Captain Baptiste or Corbett. A's would be the other and one of Pancel, Silk, Harris...but more likely Pancel/Silk. Important for a young team who this "leadership group" is.

Hockeyfan16

Aug 9, 2014
Sudbury
One more pre-season game to go. Any thoughts on who will wear the C and A's this season...assume they will have that announced for the home opener on the 26th. Not sure if they will base it - at least in part - on the pre-season play or historic (like last year's guys)? My thoughts are two OA's and 2 other players...Captain Baptiste or Corbett. A's would be the other and one of Pancel, Silk, Harris...but more likely Pancel/Silk. Important for a young team who this "leadership group" is.

Probably a "A's" 5,14,19,61.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
3-0 win tonight by the Wolves in Kitchener, 48 save shutout by Tanguay. Corbett, Kashtanov and Harris with the goals.

Corbett's was a bullet from the blue 5 seconds into the first PP. Kasthanov's as a PP goal as well. Harris' was a beatuy toe-drag around the goalie just after the Wolves killed off a penatly.

Capobainco looked, also looked like he was a little banged up after the first. It looked like he was walking something off after the start of the 2nd period, but he did play the rest of the game.

Corbett had a wonderful open ice hit on Davies, who then took a run at Corbett but missed. Pancel stood up for Corbett but the refs stopped it before anything happened.

There was a fight near the end between Blaisdell and Paliani after the two had already been in box at the same time.

The Wolves were pinned in their own end quite a bit, hence the high shot count, but Tanguay bailed them out with a bit of luck as well. A few times the Rangers had the open net but they were never able to score.

This was also my first time seeing Connor Burgess live in person. He skating is...odd. He skates with his shoulders up and hunched and isn't really fast at all, but he definite gives an effort and I saw that tonight. He played more in the 3rd as the game went on and was given some PP and PK time late in the game.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I wouldn't put too much stock in last night's game in Kitchener. First the Rangers had 8 regulars missing and the usual suspect bad goal tending they endured all last season. The Rangers seem to put an effort in for the entire game which was a sloppy affair but the skill level of some of those "rookies" and a couple of vets leaves a heck of a lot to be desired. They also displayed the same type of specialty teams as last season. Looked lost on both ends.

JSavoire

May 28, 2011
I wouldn't put too much stock in last night's game in Kitchener. First the Rangers had 8 regulars missing and the usual suspect bad goal tending they endured all last season. The Rangers seem to put an effort in for the entire game which was a sloppy affair but the skill level of some of those "rookies" and a couple of vets leaves a heck of a lot to be desired. They also displayed the same type of specialty teams as last season. Looked lost on both ends.

It's pre-season, I hope no one puts ANY attention on game results. Testing line combos, sitting/missing players, giving rookies a chance to gain experience and show what they can do, etc. is what's really going on. Once the puck drops on the actual season and coaches want to win, lineups will be geared to play and win for real. That's when you take a look at what's going on.

Hockeyfriend

Nov 8, 2011
Anyone want to predict the opening day roster?

I will take a stab at it, for kicks:

Pancel Harris Silk
Milne Jenys Kashtanov
Burgess Pezzatta Schmalz
Zeppierri Desrochers Pataki
Extra - Paliani

Note - Baptiste is out. When e returns Harris will moe to 2nd and Kash down to 3rd.

Defence
Corbett Capobianco
De Haan Cummins
Bourgue Hawley
Clapham Masters

I am still not sure on C and A's.

FireBenning*

You think Burgess will play on the 3rd line? I can also see Jenys moving up to play with silk and Pancel till Baptiste gets back.Harris played very well with Milne and Kash. Who gets the start in goal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->