OT - NO POLITICS Subs, taxes and frozen pipes edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I leave the banana out. Have to be very careful with banana’s. One of my anxiety/depression meds causes elevated potassium levels and bananas make it spike. Not uncommon according to the doctor. Being alive is better than a banana

8CEF30E2-6AE5-4A0D-AB93-E24890A4AF14.png

Attachments

• 717BDBF7-D3FD-4F19-A227-A167943898D7.png
    717BDBF7-D3FD-4F19-A227-A167943898D7.png
    79.7 KB · Views: 3

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Frozen bananas, milk, and peanut butter powder makes a world class smoothie in the Ninja
People.....cottage cheese. Who knew? Trust me on this. I'm allergic to whey protein. Trying to do protein the morning is so hard. Cottage cheese doesn't seem to bother me-- in your ninja plus a little almond milk, sunflower pnut butter, (or a packet of the Justin's stuff) pistachios, vanilla/honey and a fruit if you like. I do Chia Smash jelly.

you will not regret it.

Reactions: Gordoff

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Proud dad alert

My 10 year old came home Wednesday, crying over her math test today. After giving her a bowl of Frosted Flakes i sat her down at the table and we calmed down together, then i had her show me what we were up against: Fractions.

So she walks me through the easier methods and then we did the harder ones together. I was never taught this math so it took me a minute to pick it up. I then showed her easier ways to get the answers or at least get in the ballpark, and while she’s “not allowed” to do it my way she can at least do it to check her work once she does it the new way.

I think teaching me helped her 100x over. She was much more confident, and smiling with me within an hour. Last night she FaceTime calls me and asks if i can help her study again. So for 40 minutes or so we stayed on the phone and repeated our work from Wednesday but with new numbers that she had me make up.

This morning she sends me a text before heading off to school thanking me for helping her, and that she loves me. I’ve been walking on air all day because of it and i can’t wait to get her off the bus to ask her about fractions.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Proud dad alert

My 10 year old came home Wednesday, crying over her math test today. After giving her a bowl of Frosted Flakes i sat her down at the table and we calmed down together, then i had her show me what we were up against: Fractions.

So she walks me through the easier methods and then we did the harder ones together. I was never taught this math so it took me a minute to pick it up. I then showed her easier ways to get the answers or at least get in the ballpark, and while she’s “not allowed” to do it my way she can at least do it to check her work once she does it the new way.

I think teaching me helped her 100x over. She was much more confident, and smiling with me within an hour. Last night she FaceTime calls me and asks if i can help her study again. So for 40 minutes or so we stayed on the phone and repeated our work from Wednesday but with new numbers that she had me make up.

This morning she sends me a text before heading off to school thanking me for helping her, and that she loves me. I’ve been walking on air all day because of it and i can’t wait to get her off the bus to ask her about fractions.
This gave me so much joy to read. This is what life is all about. Good job Dad!!!!

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I leave the banana out. Have to be very careful with banana’s. One of my anxiety/depression meds causes elevated potassium levels and bananas make it spike. Not uncommon according to the doctor. Being alive is better than a banana

View attachment 648007

I've never tried it to confirm but I've read that if you peel and cube zucchini and freeze it it'll give the same consistency to a smoothie that banana does and doesn't have any noticeable flavor.

Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
People.....cottage cheese. Who knew? Trust me on this. I'm allergic to whey protein. Trying to do protein the morning is so hard. Cottage cheese doesn't seem to bother me-- in your ninja plus a little almond milk, sunflower pnut butter, (or a packet of the Justin's stuff) pistachios, vanilla/honey and a fruit if you like. I do Chia Smash jelly.

you will not regret it.
Justin's honey pb is amazing. Minus pistachios (allergic) I'll have to try the cottage cheese with the fruit and PB

Reactions: Kovi

GahdenRinkRat

Bruins' Den Mother
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2008
By the Dirty Watah

View attachment 648007
I’m going to steal that last sentence: makes a great motto: Being alive is better than a banana!:banana:

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I've never tried it to confirm but I've read that if you peel and cube zucchini and freeze it it'll give the same consistency to a smoothie that banana does and doesn't have any noticeable flavor.
I have some shredded zucchini in the freezer from the garden when I harvested the last of them before cold weather hit, but not cubed. Maybe still work well?

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Proud dad alert

As someone who never got math in school, I would of loved having a dad who was calm,cool, and trying to help me with math and willing to take the time and not get aggravation. Again, I love my dad but the generational difference was always on display whenever it came to trying to help. It sucked!

I love my dad. But he couldn't help me in math and couldn't understand why I couldn't "get it". I would get so frustrated and upset and he never could understand why. (Now I understand I had anxiety) But for some people they "get it" or just need a little extra help. Others just go blank. Sometimes I'd learn it, but once a test was in front of me, I'd blank. Completely and utterly blank. At 32 I still don't understand why I blank.

(Now this common core math stuff is completely out of my league. I told my niece and nephew that they're on their own. I can help in ANY other subject. But this new math? I thought it was hard when I was a kid/teen? This stuff looks like hieroglyphics!)

@TD Charlie good on you for having a calming presence. Your daughter appreciates it more than you know!

GahdenRinkRat

Bruins' Den Mother
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2008
By the Dirty Watah
Proud dad alert

My mom spent a summer trying to teach me long division:help: I remember many tutoring sessions ending with tears(definitely mine and probably hers;)) But I loved her patience and felt more confident going into (I think) fifth grade. Good job Dad!!:yo:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I have some shredded zucchini in the freezer from the garden when I harvested the last of them before cold weather hit, but not cubed. Maybe still work well?
I don't see why not. It might be a little more watery as a result of the greater surface area to form ice crystals on, but not enough to really make a difference. Go for it.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
As someone who never got math in school, I would of loved having a dad who was calm,cool, and trying to help me with math and willing to take the time and not get aggravation. Again, I love my dad but the generational difference was always on display whenever it came to trying to help. It sucked!

I love my dad. But he couldn't help me in math and couldn't understand why I couldn't "get it". I would get so frustrated and upset and he never could understand why. (Now I understand I had anxiety) But for some people they "get it" or just need a little extra help. Others just go blank. Sometimes I'd learn it, but once a test was in front of me, I'd blank. Completely and utterly blank. At 32 I still don't understand why I blank.

(Now this common core math stuff is completely out of my league. I told my niece and nephew that they're on their own. I can help in ANY other subject. But this new math? I thought it was hard when I was a kid/teen? This stuff looks like hieroglyphics!)

@TD Charlie good on you for having a calming presence. Your daughter appreciates it more than you know!
My mom spent a summer trying to teach me long division:help: I remember many tutoring sessions ending with tears(definitely mine and probably hers;)) But I loved her patience and felt more confident going into (I think) fifth grade. Good job Dad!!:yo:

I have a strong factual memory so I got elementary school math really quick as a kid, could do addition, multiplication, division in a snap so I never developed any good study habits or work ethic, and by the time it got to algebra in middle school I didn't care enough to work hard at it so kind of skated by with average grades because I didn't want to put any more time into doing homework or studying than I had to, because I wanted to play Playstation 2. But what's weird is that as an adult, I find that I really like math. The logic-puzzle side of it all, it's actually kind of fun. If I could go back in time I'd become some kind of accountant or engineer rather than majoring in history.

Reactions: caz16

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Math sucks. The end.

I did fine with addition, subtraction & multiplication (I had a great memory then so memorizing the tables was a breeze). My struggles began with division and fractions & only worsened with algebra, geometry, & calculus in HS. Looking back I see my biggest mistake was mastering whatever it was we were doing just enough so I could pass a quiz or test but then failing to apply it to the next section.

When I returned to school in my mid 20s I had to take remedial algebra & frankly I dreaded it. Fortunately for me the teacher was a young man going for his Ph.D in math who told us that he was once a very poor math student too but thanks to his teacher in a remedial course who took the time to work with him he finally "got" it to the point where he fell in love with math. He said that was why he himself now taught remedial math classes. Long story short he was the best math teacher I ever had, he would explain exactly what was happening to the numbers & symbols when you did an operation (which I always struggled with, if I couldn't see it my brain couldn't process it)
I ended up with a C+, the highest math mark I ever received. I even passed the regular algebra class with a C.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I was terrible at math because I couldn't memorize the times tables. I'd study them for hours and it would go in one ear and out the other. Luckily, my 5th grade teacher recognized I was a spatial thinker and taught me the number line. Then I was able to visualize what I was doing instead of rote memorization. Fast forward to High School and I was a math whiz taking AP calculus. Turns out spatial thinkers are actually good at math if they think about it the right way. I shudder to think what I would be doing today if it wasn't for that teacher.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Proud dad alert

Believe me Chuck, this is a memory you will file away forever.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Proud dad alert

its so damn dusty in here

<3

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
So, I'm just going to add 2 cents here: if you need help making your smoothie shake, do NOT, repeat do NOT ask your husband to cut open the almond butter packet and squeeze it into your shake. The almond butter is brown and thick.....

a 12 yr old man cannot handle this action💩

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
My younger daughter struggled so much with math, my older daughter is a math genius, tutored others in high school and took calculus for fun in University. It is incredible how minds are so different when it comes to understanding things.
I did well in school, and got an A in college Physics II....and then came calculus....I had no clue
I stayed in the class to the end, with a bout a 30 average....our final exam was pick 10 out of 20 questions. I couldn't do an entire question. I handed in my exam and the teacher said " so all you need is a D and you never have to take Calculus again?"
I said yeah

She smiled and said...."well have a nice summer"

Got my D, I deserved about a Z
She knew I was in class each day, and was trying my best

Last edited:

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I have a strong factual memory so I got elementary school math really quick as a kid, could do addition, multiplication, division in a snap so I never developed any good study habits or work ethic, and by the time it got to algebra in middle school I didn't care enough to work hard at it so kind of skated by with average grades because I didn't want to put any more time into doing homework or studying than I had to, because I wanted to play Playstation 2. But what's weird is that as an adult, I find that I really like math. The logic-puzzle side of it all, it's actually kind of fun. If I could go back in time I'd become some kind of accountant or engineer rather than majoring in history.
You probably already know about it, but if not, here's a great resource for the math nerd: Wolfram MathWorld: The Web's Most Extensive Mathematics Resource

I did the same thing, but more on the physics and coding side. Wolfram has a physics site as well, which I've spent some time on, and I'm currently trying to learn Python on my own. PLus, I've been delving deeper into the math and game theory behind crypto projects. Oh, and working 60+ hours a week. Not bad for another history major.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad