News Article: Subban's next contract

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Nobody is saying Bergevin doesn't want him long term, just that Subban may only want six years. Which is fine. Who knows where the cap will be in six years?

My mistake. Still want Subban signed for max term though. Don't care about the money that much.

Darth Joker

Dec 12, 2009
Canada
I'd prefer 8 years over 6, but 6 is still a good, long time. Any cap hit of 8.5 million or less I'd be content with. 8 or less I'd be very happy with.

Habster33

In Habs we trust!
Dec 15, 2010
I'm expecting something like 68-70M/8years with the new CBA and the Cap going up the next few years

Anything lower and I'll be very VERY satisfied!

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Bourque and Briere are signed beyond this season... DD can't be moved despite playing well as of late, but i love the positivity

Gallagher and Galchenyuk both have a year left on their deals, so they won't ge getting a raise until the 15-16 season.

By then Briere(4.0) DD(3.5) Bourque(3.3) and Gionta(5) could all potentially be gone.

If DD has a relatively strong finish, the habs can move him at any time after this season. Cap goes up, contracts from last CBA expire and his value as a 50 point calibre center maintains. At 3.5 mil if he plays in your top 6, he is a bargain not a bad contract.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
* 6th in the league in blocked shots.
* Even +/- despite playing most games with Francis Bouillon
* Fantastic gap control
* Solid breakout pass
* Wins board battles by chipping pucks free
* Incredible positioning
* Can play Top-4 minutes adequately if injuries occur
* Good PP QB for a 2nd wave (he's better in the Markov role than being the shooter cause Bouillon can't)

Guy is great bang for the buck. If we can get him under $3M, he's a steal.

Man!....with those credentials, we can probably get O'Reilly out of Colorado on an even swap:naughty:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Subban Soon

Gotta Figure Markov into the equation...
His strong play this year should ensure him a 2-3 yr deal.
PK is benefitting big time playing with him.
I don't think we can afford to lose him, nobody out there to replace that skill set.
We are banking on Beaulieu but he's still a few years out.
So maybe MB gives Marky 3 and PK 6 for now.
We will need to invest in some size up front.
God I'd love to get a guy like Hornquist out of Nashville.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
8 years/8 million per. Just do it.

how can both sides not agree to this lol, its perfect , bah

i also heard rumor was 6 years 50 mill, thats 8.3 a year.. i mean i'd still do it but it would be great to stretch that out over a couple more years and maaaaaybe knock it down a bit, but im happy with anything under 9

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Hope this gets done soon!

I was looking at his stats, his best season in juniors was 14 goals, 62 assists for 76 points... I wonder if he'll ever beat that in the NHL?

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

I was looking at his stats, his best season in juniors was 14 goals, 62 assists for 76 points... I wonder if he'll ever beat that in the NHL?

im gonna go and say, yes, i think one day he can achieve that, he's already scored 14 goals once before in the NHL as a rookie, goals are a bit down this year but he CAN do it

as for 62 assists, he's already on pace for that mark this year if he keeps it going

76 points is more than in the realm of possibility for subban in the future

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Going back to last year...he has 62pts in his last 71 games

It's certainly not out of the question

Odelein24

Sep 17, 2009
Montreal
7 years / $49 million

Subban should not be making more than Doughty, Dought is a better defensively than Subban, people tend to forget to look at comparables, wake up, we still need to sign Markov and Galchenyuk, Gallagher and Pacioretty down the road as well, and Eller? Do you really want to let a big centre like him walk?

I think Markov will re-sign at his current 5.75. The Gallys won't be earning big money for a few more years, enough time for some veteran contracts to expire. Galchenyuk is still on his ELC, he wont see 5mil for at least 3-4 years. Pacioretty?? He's signed for 5 more years! There will be enough money to give Eller a decent contract too, especially with the cap looking to rise.

People tend to forget that other teams win cups with their superstars making 8mil+ and I have a feeling we'll join that group before PK's career is over.

PricePkPatch*

Subban getting 76 points would be awesome, numerology-wise :D

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
How hard is it to sign this guy? Just ask him how much he wants and give him that, done deal!

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
That (rumoured) deal from 2 years ago at 5-6 million per - long term is sure as hell looking good right about now...isn't it? :shakehead

But yeah, give him what he wants. This guy needs to be a lifelong Canadien.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
That (rumoured) deal from 2 years ago at 5-6 million per - long term is sure as hell looking good right about now...isn't it? :shakehead

But yeah, give him what he wants. This guy needs to be a lifelong Canadien.

The rumoured deal was Subban taking a 5 year deal straight to UFA from his ELC.

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
If it is for $ 8 per it is a bargain, considering they say the cap is going 90 and a max player getting 18 per.

Crazy to me.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
There's a good chance the cap will go significantly higher next year (not sure if it'll go to 90m though)...could the fact each American team is getting 7-8m and each Canadian team is getting near 20m from Rogers impact that? I'd imagine it helps if they could just put that money towards salaries

bjac

Jan 16, 2006
The rumoured deal was Subban taking a 5 year deal straight to UFA from his ELC.

Many will ignore this fact and pretend that it wouldn't be a massive issue in less than 4 years...

Barriwhite

Don’t be shocked by the tone of my voice
Nov 8, 2005
Montreal
I'm all for a modest contract length (~6y) and the habs should too. He'll need to keep this up for his plan to work out. But what's the saying, "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"? It would be silly to gamble guaranteed big bucks for 2 more years in the hope of getting more by following the cap increase. He might get hurt, might loose some edge, and risk loosing way more in the end.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I'm all for a modest contract length (~6y) and the habs should too. He'll need to keep this up for his plan to work out. But what's the saying, "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"? It would be silly to gamble guaranteed big bucks for 2 more years in the hope of getting more by following the cap increase. He might get hurt, might loose some edge, and risk loosing way more in the end.

I agree...(wait while I put on my bullet proof vest)... but all the people asking for Bergevin's head if he doesn't sign Subban for 8 yrs are kind of funny. 6 yrs is still a heck of long time and he'll have the option to resign again. He'll be the face of the franchise for many years to come, no reason to think why the longevity of his career can't be akin to that of Markov or Plekanec.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad